219 81.11%
  • Hardware?

18 6.67%
  • OS?

38 14.07%
  • User Interface?

13 4.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Some place in Kenya? Congrats, and all - kudos on out-obscuring anybody else. Did you try really hard, or did you manage to pull-off this with ease?
    nope mistake my post has been edited, but mistakes are usually where greatness comes from lol
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-24-13 08:54 AM
    I couldn't resist this is my new 8week old kitten sitting beside me, the intermet is made for kittens after all
    Attached Thumbnails Your view on why the PlayBook doesn't outsell other tablets?-uploadfromtaptalk1366811788260.jpg  
    04-24-13 08:57 AM
    nope mistake my post has been edited, but mistakes are usually where greatness comes from lol
    Damn words and their pesky letters, eh - that and their rigid and inflexible meanings. Just there spoiling things for everybody.

"mistakes are usually where greatness comes from" you wanna copyright that shit 'cos that's just the sort of talk that a company like BlackBerry could exploit.
    04-24-13 08:58 AM
    Seppuku is a ritual Japanese suicide (also known as HariKiri). I thought EVERYONE knew that (erm... and I didn't just Google it... honest...)
    Barracuda7772 and sad_old_man like this.
    04-24-13 08:58 AM
    I couldn't resist this is my new 8week old kitten sitting beside me, the intermet is made for kittens after all
    Tru dat.

Mos def.
    Your view on why the PlayBook doesn't outsell other tablets?-maslows-hierarchy-internet-needs.jpg
    04-24-13 09:00 AM
    Seppuku is a ritual Japanese suicide (also known as HariKiri). I thought EVERYONE knew that (erm... and I didn't just Google it... honest...)
    Indeed, I knew that, I did wonder if the barracuda guy meant that, but it wasn't what he wrote before he edited his post, and I just kinda figured: par for the course.
    04-24-13 09:02 AM
    Truth be told, I'm a slut when it comes to tech. What I buy must suit primarily in terms of price, then other aspects. If it was the choice of iPad, or nothing, I wouldn't have bought a tablet, because going back a few years, I simply wouldn't have paid iPad money for something I didn't currently have a true need for. If BB produces another tablet that's very good, would I buy it? Maybe, if it was sold at the same kind of pricing that I've bought my 2 PlayBooks for - otherwise, they can whistle Dixie, and when it's time to buy another tablet, I'll buy one on the basis of best bang-for-buck, again.
    I have to agree with this 100%. I wanted a tablet, and I coudn't afford an iPad (well, couldn't justify the cost anyway). A bit of research turned up the PlayBook which seemed (and indeed is) an outstanding deal. I'll keep with my existing one until it dies, and then if there is a new PB available at that time, I'll probably get it if, it's cheaper than an iPad. If it's the same or more, then I will probably (and with a heavy heart) buy an Android device, or whatever else is cheap(ish) but good. Maybe another 64Gb Playbook like I have now if they are still available then... It does everything I need it for now, and I can't see my requirements changing greatly.
    As to the poll? Who bloody cares...
    Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-24-13 09:05 AM
    Did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?
    "this" morning?

I endeavour to make it a daily occurrence.
    Sue Donym likes this.
    04-24-13 09:06 AM
    I's guaranteed to put me in a bad mood if I get out of bed on the wrong side...
    as my bed is against the wall (BOOM BOOM!!)

(anyone remember Basil Brush??)
    sad_old_man and Sue Donym like this.
    04-24-13 09:16 AM
    I's guaranteed to put me in a bad mood if I get out of bed on the wrong side...
    as my bed is against the wall (BOOM BOOM!!)

(anyone remember Basil Brush??)
    I have no idea who that damn fox with the bushy tail was? Mmmmmmmm...........
    04-24-13 09:53 AM
    I talked about the Xoom precisely because it has actual sales data. All the other "comparisons" are not comparisons at all because they are based on sales myths --- often from some rumors from Taiwanese websites.

There are like a zillion different Galaxy tablet models --- so Blackberry having only the original Playbook and the LTE Playbook isn't that bad when you look at the fact that Samsung never gave actual sales figures and whatever figures that they lied about is a combination of a zillion different Galaxy tablet models.
    But the fact is that not even android fans buy these android tablets. The whole thing is a big myth. The biggest selling android tablet --- the kindle fire --- is not bought by end-users. The kindle fire is primarily bought as cheap gifts that the gift purchaser thinks the kindle fire is too crappy for their own usage.
    But people like you missed the big point --- it wouldn't have mattered in the big picture.

The Xoom had a native email client, a few hundred thousand android apps... --- sold fewer units than the Playbook.

The best selling non-ipad tablet that is priced to actually make a profit (i.e. not the Amazon Kindle Fire business model) probably has a 1% tablet market share --- which in the big picture would have been as much a massive failure as the Playbook.
    I think you're missing the point, samab. the xoom was superseded, and is not comparable in either form nor function. if you think about it in context rather than using a very simplistic sales figure comparison you'll have more luck. the business model that you decry, the firesale or zero profit, is a big reason why the pb sales have continued and increased. any comparison with the xoom is frankly out of date and lacking context (including the link between the pb and other bb devices for business, as it was originally touted). here is an analysis of sales for the uk over nov and dec 2012 http://www.voxxi.com/blackberry-play...lar-tablet-uk/ but there are plenty more that have more sense than you are making.
    04-24-13 09:56 AM
    Unrelated yet strangely appropriate

Lucky shot on the kitten. Good cat pictures are hard to catch.
    04-24-13 10:00 AM

and I took it with the playbooks camera ! talkabout skillz the z means hardcore I guess or think.... but rather guess
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-24-13 10:10 AM

Now that's a lucky shot!
    Attached Thumbnails Your view on why the PlayBook doesn't outsell other tablets?-img_00000059.jpg  
    dphjeff and axllebeer like this.
    04-24-13 10:50 AM
    1) Overpriced to begin with.
    2) OS was not complete at release, so it received mostly bad reviews. They should have made minor hardware upgrade when they release 2.1 and started over.
    3) Major Apps were not, and still aren't available. Sideloading helped many of us, but I don't see an average consumer being interested in figuring out how to find, convert (at times) and sideload an app (that may or may not be trusted)
    04-24-13 11:32 AM
    I think you're missing the point, samab. the xoom was superseded, and is not comparable in either form nor function. if you think about it in context rather than using a very simplistic sales figure comparison you'll have more luck. the business model that you decry, the firesale or zero profit, is a big reason why the pb sales have continued and increased. any comparison with the xoom is frankly out of date and lacking context (including the link between the pb and other bb devices for business, as it was originally touted). here is an analysis of sales for the uk over nov and dec 2012 BlackBerry PlayBook the most popular tablet in the UK but there are plenty more that have more sense than you are making.
    But there is no third choice --- it's either fire sale or no profit.

I use the Xoom because it had actual sales numbers --- but looking at various analytics data, you will find that all the android tablets have about the same market share.

The difference in sales numbers between everybody else are so small that you people are arguing whether such and such mistakes RIM made caused the Playbook to sell less than the Transformer (or some other android tablet) --- but we are really talking about something like 0.5% market vs. 0.6% market share.
    04-24-13 11:40 AM
    I think you're missing the point, samab. the xoom was superseded, and is not comparable in either form nor function. if you think about it in context rather than using a very simplistic sales figure comparison you'll have more luck. the business model that you decry, the firesale or zero profit, is a big reason why the pb sales have continued and increased. any comparison with the xoom is frankly out of date and lacking context (including the link between the pb and other bb devices for business, as it was originally touted). here is an analysis of sales for the uk over nov and dec 2012 BlackBerry PlayBook the most popular tablet in the UK but there are plenty more that have more sense than you are making.
    Not really. It has JB 4.1.2. How many android tablets can say that?
    04-24-13 11:41 AM
    Xoom is really not a good benchmark for success. Different form factor, also very expensive at launch, SD card and USB OTG support in Honeycomb severely limited, no marketing. You could also say the same for HP's TouchPad, although if I remember right, HP did have a celebrity sponsor (can't remember who, tho, LOL). I remember seeing the PB at some retail store and looking at the small size and price and saying "are you kidding"? I only bought my Xoom when I found it for ~$300.
    It doesn't matter whether the Xoom is a good benchmark for success or not --- because ALL the other android tablets didn't sell much better.

As I said it repeatedly, you people are arguing whether RIM made this and that mistake which made the Playbook sell less than --- what the Transformer. You people are arguing 0.5% vs. 0.6% market share in total tablet market. They are both massive failures in the big picture.
    04-24-13 11:45 AM
    I think that maybe you're missing Samab's general overall point, which seems to be that the whole premise of the thread is flawed, i.e., that the PB has outsold many if not most of the tablets out there. OK, the PB hasn't sold anywhere near as many units as Apple has, but neither has anyone else. That's a given. The PB maybe/probably hasn't sold as many units as Amazon or Google or Barnes and Noble, because they are the zero profit tabs released by companies that planed on making their profit by selling media to the owners of these tabs. They could do this because they already had the infrastructure in place (media stores) to make this plan seem reasonable. None of the other tablet manufacturers, BB included, could reasonably hope to reproduce this business model. As for ALL of the other tablets out there, do we really know that the PB isn't fairing reasonably well? Samab is using the Zoom for comparison, I presume, only because he actually has some sales figures to compare. People on this board complain all the time about the lack of apps/functionality of the PB. The early buyers who paid full price for their units, I guess have a point. But anyone who purchased their PB since the radical price drop towards the end of 2011, have little to complain about. Especially if you consider that if the apps and function had been there from the beginning, the original sales numbers would likely have been much better and BB would not have cut their prices, at least not as drastically as they did. These late adopters are basically saying that they want their cake and to eat it too. I want both the low price and all the apps that android and Apple have You can't have it both ways, so choose one. I bought my PB in Jan. 2012, because at the time it seemed to give me the most bang for the buck. I don't regret my decision.
    04-24-13 11:55 AM
    It doesn't matter whether the Xoom is a good benchmark for success or not --- because ALL the other android tablets didn't sell much better.

As I said it repeatedly, you people are arguing whether RIM made this and that mistake which made the Playbook sell less than --- what the Transformer. You people are arguing 0.5% vs. 0.6% market share in total tablet market. They are both massive failures in the big picture.
    That's the trouble with this type of analysis. Android devices come from a lot of manufacturers. So what drove the success/failure, OS or hardware? You can only get PB from BBRY and iPad from Apple. You might be able to put Microsoft in there with the Surface but its not doing that great either and may be too early to tell.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-24-13 12:09 PM
    That's the trouble with this type of analysis. Android devices come from a lot of manufacturers. So what drove the success/failure, OS or hardware? You can only get PB from BBRY and iPad from Apple. You might be able to put Microsoft in there with the Surface but its not doing that great either and may be too early to tell.
    Being that I'm stupid I still want to know how come everyone blames lack of apps as the main pb failure and yet it's been stated that most android tablet users don't buy the apps? I've asked this before but based on a thread titled "pb market not big enough for developers", if nobody is buying android apps who are the developers writing them for?
    04-24-13 02:51 PM
    Well don't blame me for this, blame the fine upstanding member, rossjackson01, he made me do it.

Anyway we are all here for one reason, we believe the pb works for us. The problem being that it could potentially have been great and IMHO far better that the ipad so then in its basic form why do you think it failed?. Now it's time to find out for real.

Please do not try this at home without an adult present and a safety net.
    Apps...
    Apps...
    Apps...

oh...and did i mention Apps?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-24-13 03:21 PM
    Apps...
    Apps...
    Apps...

oh...and did i mention Apps?
    What apps?
    04-24-13 03:23 PM
    Its a combination of everything. Its outdated, zero updates, and doesn't even do the basics of Skype, and foreign language support. BlackBerry dropped the ball big time on this product. Its too bad, cause it had real promise. But as time progressed and other makers continue to develop their products and care about their buyers, BB kind of brushed the PB and all of us off to the side.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-24-13 03:24 PM
    I've asked this before but based on a thread titled "pb market not big enough for developers", if nobody is buying android apps who are the developers writing them for?
    Nobody.

Android developers rely the "if you build it, they will come" business model --- and customers didn't come. Now, they are fearful to put time and effort on other mobile platforms.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-24-13 03:50 PM
239 ... 45678 ...