I love my PB, and I can't help but think some measure of RIM's difficulties can be traced to sub par marketing. So what is your best PB marketing slogan?

My contribution?

"Some eat up apps, others enjoy a main course. Playbook By Blackberry."
    12-30-11 08:11 AM
    Want Something Half Finished? Buy a PlayBook.

dont get me wrong, i love my playbook, but rim f'd it all right to h3ll launching it too early with empty promises.
    12-30-11 08:39 AM
    "Hate iTunes? Buy a PlayBook"
    12-30-11 08:43 AM
    Welcome to the next generation mobile operating system. Playbook - Do more.
    12-30-11 08:50 AM
    2012 is Blackberry's year to shine.
    Blackberry's new OS (formerly QNX) now Blackberry 10 will be a huge success.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 08:58 AM
    The OS formerly known as BBX

Prince
    FF22, frisco49ers, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    12-30-11 09:16 AM
    PlayFun, PlayMore, PlayBook not just a business tablet
    12-30-11 09:32 AM
    How about this:
    Playbook by Blackberry. At least its not a Touchpad.
    12-30-11 09:52 AM
    Bookem danno the rest don't count. (smooth and easy)
    frisco49ers likes this.
    12-30-11 10:24 AM
    The OS formerly known as BBX

Prince
    I almost splattered my raisin bran all over my monitor and keyboard!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 10:43 AM
    I almost splattered my raisin bran all over my monitor and keyboard!
    "PlayBook. It's what's for breakfast."
    12-30-11 11:09 AM
    PlayBook: It's the best (almost) Android tablet, Period! Except for the Kindle Fire, and the Nook, and the $99 TouchPad with CM, and actual Android tablets. Ah, never mind.
    I will never mind as you should've the thread since you have nothing worthwhile to add to it or any other blackberry thread.
    spike12 and Spencerdl like this.
    12-30-11 11:33 AM
    I will never mind as you should've the thread since you have nothing worthwhile to add to it or any other blackberry thread.
    Think of the choices you had. You could have laughed at a kind of funny/silly post, as many of the others are in this thread. You could have ignored it. Instead, you singled me out for a personal attack. You need to get over yourself.
    12-30-11 11:43 AM
    I really did like the "Amateur Hour Is Over" idea and boldness. But the product just cant back that up at all. It was almost a joke. They will need to come up with something new and slick like that as long as OS 2 delivers
    JeepBB, azrin640 and Willard814 like this.
    12-30-11 11:49 AM
    Think of the choices you had. You could have laughed at a kind of funny/silly post, as many of the others are in this thread. You could have ignored it. Instead, you singled me out for a personal attack. You need to get over yourself.
    Yes I could have and didn't just like you. How am I personally attacking you? I am only going by your history here lately on this site. If you feel attacked well that is your problem. I just pointed out your love for RIM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 11:51 AM
    I really did like the "Amateur Hour Is Over" idea and boldness. But the product just cant back that up at all. It was almost a joke. They will need to come up with something new and slick like that as long as OS 2 delivers
    Yep they really blew it with that one.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 11:55 AM
    Yes I could have and didn't just like you. How am I personally attacking you? I am only going by your history here lately on this site. If you feel attacked well that is your problem. I just pointed out your love for RIM.
    Try to stay on topic. I'm not the topic, nor is my post history. Your posting about me makes it personal. I hear there are rules about that sort of thing. Sorry you didn't think my post was funny.

Back on topic. The most interesting thing about 2.0 will be Android app compatibility. I think that is a very hard think to promote. HP couldn't do it when they built the PDK for porting iOS games. I think RIM will have a hard time capitalizing on that. Email is big, but how do you advertise, "We finally have email!" That doesn't fly either.

The reason the whole, "Amateur hour is over!" didn't work out is not just because it wasn't true, but it was a not so subtle attempt to make a direct comparison with the iPad. Same with, "The first professional grade tablet!" You need a slogan that doesn't immediately bring of the category leader.

Consider this. What is the iPad's slogan? There isn't one. It exists without slogan or sales hook or BS marketing speak. It just is. That is part of the brilliance of iPad ads. It would be nice if RIM could just talk positively about the PB without making the audience want to immediately start comparing and testing the outlandish claim. Talk about what it is. Let regular people, not celebs, talk about why they like it, and encourage the audience to try it out.
    12-30-11 12:08 PM
    Yup. My thoughts exactly.

That phrase is the only tagline that I can actually recall from the whole marketing exercise. Playbook wasn't really promoted in the UK from my recollection - I only ever saw two TV ads - both on obscure satellite/cable channels.

As you say, shame such a dynamic marketing phrase became hollow self-parody.

The irony is that the phrase could actually become justified if OS2 lives up to the promise... but I doubt RIM would re-use the same (sadly discredited) tagline again.
    12-30-11 12:12 PM
    "Amateur hour is finally almost over!"

New and Improved.

The New Coke, ahem, Playbook.

More calories, less filling.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 12:20 PM
    fade in to acoustic guitar strumming a happy tune.
    A couple, video chatting from different corners of the globe.
    A business dude editing an office document as he walks in to the super-important conference.
    A child coloring on a paint app.
    A soccer mom checking her grocery list as she strolls through the suprrmarket.
    A teen playing Madden or NFS.
    Back to the couple saying good night.
    fade to black...
    "The Blackberry Playbook. Available everywhere."
    Willard814 and bbvj like this.
    12-30-11 12:21 PM
    Try to stay on topic. I'm not the topic, nor is my post history. Your posting about me makes it personal. I hear there are rules about that sort of thing. Sorry you didn't think my post was funny.

Back on topic. The most interesting thing about 2.0 will be Android app compatibility. I think that is a very hard think to promote. HP couldn't do it when they built the PDK for porting iOS games. I think RIM will have a hard time capitalizing on that. Email is big, but how do you advertise, "We finally have email!" That doesn't fly either.

The reason the whole, "Amateur hour is over!" didn't work out is not just because it wasn't true, but it was a not so subtle attempt to make a direct comparison with the iPad. Same with, "The first professional grade tablet!" You need a slogan that doesn't immediately bring of the category leader.

Consider this. What is the iPad's slogan? There isn't one. It exists without slogan or sales hook or BS marketing speak. It just is. That is part of the brilliance of iPad ads. It would be nice if RIM could just talk positively about the PB without making the audience want to immediately start comparing and testing the outlandish claim. Talk about what it is. Let regular people, not celebs, talk about why they like it, and encourage the audience to try it out.
    No comment.
    12-30-11 12:23 PM
    A business dude editing an office document as he walks in to the super-important conference.
    fade to black...
    dont take this the wrong way but this is exactly what an apple commercial is like. Its simple but shows normal people doing normal things with ease. I am not as sure RIM can pull this type of thing off but it would appeal nicely to the masses
    12-30-11 12:36 PM
    fade to black...
    I'm pretty sure people would just think that was an iPad ad. I think it has to be different, not an iPad cliche. I remember the last Superbowl featured one iPad ad and a few competitor ads. The buzz was that Apple aired several iPad ads because people just thought the other tablets were iPads.

It has to present as something that is not an iPad without screaming anti-iPad. Most of the people interested in tablets are already holding an iPad on their lap while watching your commercial. You have to show them something different and compelling, not just another iPad with a different logo. This is largely where other commercials have failed.
    12-30-11 12:36 PM
    "Dont hate the PlayBook, hate the game"
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 12:39 PM
    I have to say I thought the Apple iPad TV ads were brilliant in both concept and execution. As someone said above, the iPad was both obvious and invisible (stay with me on this ).

Every scene showed ordinary people, going about their day-to-day lives, and (almost casually and incidentally) being shown to be using an iPad. The message that iPad helps you do what you already do, but more easily and better, is almost subliminal.

RIM can't steal the same concept for their ads unfortunately - yes, everyone would assume it was a smaller iPad.

Ermmm... slogan... how about "PlayBook - For The Life YOU Lead!"
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-30-11 01:03 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD