Hello everyone, it's just me with a few questions & statements to make.
    You see I've been wondering for you first time buyers who never had any type of tablet before. If you have any remouses getting the Playbook? How many of you stuck with your purchase, returned, or swapped it for another tablet?

Now if you where the type who returned or swapped it. What where you planning on using it for, or planned for it? If you returned it, what was your reason? If you swapped it, does your new tablet really make you feel any more satisfied then before?
    If you kept it, could you please explain why?

Now I'd like to add a personal opinion about tablets & first time buyers.
    I believe most of you first time buyers who are upset at this tablets current condition is due to over expections on the whole category of a tablet. You see I bet most of those who are/were upset, where expecting a big deal with these things after all the hype that was built up, and felt you were going to use it as much as you carry your phones. Whether you'd like to admit it or not.
    For those who did, or don't believe this. I'd guess some of you were planning on making this your prime use for: entertainment, business, study, gaming, etc... I mean you don't see everyone who owns an IPad/Kindle/etc. taking it everywhere with them to watch a movie at home, play games at their friends house, replacing a PC for work, camera, using it as an MP3 at parties, using as a calculator for school, etc. on a regular basis do you?

These are meant to be toys, rather you like it or not. But if you find a prime use, good for you. Although I'm sure that's not the case for most of you.
    I'd bet that most of you who got this tablet, then swapped it for another. Have been excited as you were for this tablet, when you first opened it for awhile. Then slowly, show it to your closest of ones. To watch the joy it gives them, as it once did for you.

Yes I'm sure after awhile, you'll find yourself just trying to give it a true purpose to your life. Although the real joy will come from others who are excited by it, and in return get joy out of your excitement... going in a circle, until the hype dies. Then time to get something new, or they make these things more required in our daily lives.
    10-03-11 10:17 PM
    My lap top now collects dust most of the week. The PB truly is a useful device. Just finished booking some plane tickets.
    10-03-11 10:28 PM
    Lol, glad you noticed one part of that. Although I'm sure a tablet can take the place of a netbook any day, and a laptop maybe. Although a regular desktop, not likely. I don't believe tablets at this stage can truly replace a desktop for work, or a dedicated schools desktop yet.
    I'm pretty sure most of you who made satisfying choices, actually use these things for their attended purposes.

Also, thanks for stating your reason for keeping your Playbook. I'm sure it can replace any mobile PC, especially for browsing any day.
    black hole likes this.
    10-03-11 10:36 PM
    I didn't mention bridging or how much I use the camera. "Dead Space" is a whale of a game. This device is very, very good. Can't wait for OS2.
    10-03-11 10:58 PM
    I'm a first time buyer, of both a tablet and the Playbook. I never purchased a tablet before since they always seemed kind of useless, since I pretty much always either had my laptop or BB on me.

I've had plenty of exposure to just about every other tablet / phone out there and have stuck with BB for my phone - since does everything I need for work and nothing I don't. I picked up a BB a few years ago for my wife for BBM as well.

Never wanted an iPad or iPhone, since I'm not a fan of Apple, but my wife does own an iPod. Never bought a Droid or Xoom either - since BES works much better than Good (IMO).

We do have an original Nook, since eInk is just about as good as real paper when it comes to heavy reading (which the wife does an awful lot of).

I did finally buy a Playbook, when the price became "right". Does it have every app I would like it too - no; but I am enjoying it as is, daily. It also of course has Bridge which makes a nice extension to the BB that's always on my belt. It does everything I expected in a tablet, its not gigantic or heavy like some other tablets and it works very well. The fact that more features / apps / etc are planned just adds to it.

Not sure if this answers everything you were looking for or not. I do have a co-worker who ordered himself a PB same week I did, and returned it 2 days later (he already has an iPad) - he is now kicking himself after reading more about the upcoming Fire.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 11:15 PM
    i just picked one up today to take advantage of the future shop sale and spend some time using it. My stance on all tablet devices is that they are a toy for the average consumer, an expensive toy. Whether or not its worth the price is up to the individual. In certain areas I can see them being a godsend. Especially when it comes to educational toolsnfor children. Anyhow, I will be deciding over the next few days whether or not I'll be keeping it or returning it. If I return it, I won't be exchanging it for another tablet device at this point in time. Much as I enjoy my mac computers, my old school ipod video 5th gen (with a modded 240 gb hdd), and the iphone I used to have, the fact of the matter is the ipad costs too much and has a tendency to trigger my ****** bag meter when I see most people using it. Beyond that I simply wouldnt consider any android devices..... (don't get me wrong, these devices have their place and I inow ipads are excellent for the medical and education field, but thats not where my uses are).

I agree that expectations are generally too high. It's definitely a shock to the wallet when an unsuspecting consumer realizes they just shelled out a few hundred or more for a device they'll use mostly to **** around on the internet with, read email (or not), watch videos, and play games.......and then they realize they were already doing this on their pc, laptop, or netbook....though it wasn't that long ago the same amount of dough got you a clamshell portable dvd player that, played dvds.......
    10-04-11 12:35 AM
    Before i purchased my PB -- which is my first tablet of any type -- I was not impressed and therefore not motivated to that end. I always managed to get most of my what I needed to get done on my BB. However, i have ad to make several trips to Europe and found myself in spotty wifi areas which rendered my laptop useless for internet connections. i did my best to tether my laptop to my BB but it was never what I expected.

When I bought my PB from a friend for a very good price I was impressed by the speed and functionality of the Bridge (so awesome) and the perfect size of the PB. I have since been learning more and therefore doing more on my PB than previously on my BB as well as my laptop. Do I need my laptop? Certainly. But now I have a greater sense of freedom and flexability with the PB and the Bridge and do not have to go through the trouble of tethering. Now I have "assisted" two friends in taking advantage of the great sale prices and now and at least partially responsable for three PB's to be in the hands of users.
    10-04-11 12:53 AM
    Hey!

I blew into staples the other day to jump on the tablet bandwagon. The sales rep totally pointed me into the direction of the Asus Transformer, so thats what i purchased. I played around with for a couple weeks and decided it wasnt for me (it was to big for my taste and I am not that familiar with android. So it really didnt tickle my fancy.)
    I returned it and picked up the PB and i really couldnt be happier. It does all the day to day things I need it to do, ie browse (which is ridiculously slick and fast) send and receive email, keep up to date with the latest scores, etc. When wifi isnt available it bridges to my bold like a dream so i can still stay connected.
    I actually brought it to a party last weekend and we hooked it up to the flat screen and used it for playing tunes.
    i know a lot of people have issues with the apps for PB being lackluster. Have a look around the other marketplaces. Yes they may have thousands of apps but most of them are nothing to write home about, and for those people who are waiting for android apps to come to PB before they purchase all i can say is wow! If your going to shell out the money for a tablet just to play Angry Birds. I wish I had your money because I would burn mine. Lol!
    The PB is a great little machine! and only better things to come with 2.0. I wouldnt hold your breath for netflix or skype just yet. I would for native email and BBM.
    Uncle Remus and xweb10 like this.
    10-04-11 05:38 AM
    I was a bit skeptical at first but when Staples dropped their price $200 and I had $125 in Best Buy Reward Zone certificates, I got Best Buy to match and got a deal on the 64 GB PB.
    10-04-11 05:57 AM
    My lap top now collects dust most of the week. The PB truly is a useful device. Just finished booking some plane tickets.
    Since i got the playbook, i rarely use my laptop... generally if i have to use a cd-rom mostly.

10-04-11 01:16 PM
    Yeah, the PB is my first tablet and now my laptop has maybe been turned on 4 or 5 times in the past 3 months or so. I love the Bridge feature, so I take my PB with me pretty much whenever I go out. I stream a lot of shows and movies, and I love the ability to connect it to my HDTV. I don't really have any regrets buying it, though all these sales and whatnot kinda make me wish I waited a little longer.
    10-04-11 02:34 PM
    Playbook is my first and only tablet and I love it! Like others said, does it have every app I'm looking for? No. But for me, I did some research going in and decided as a Blackberry user it was where I wanted to go. So far, absolutely no regrets! And tethering to my phone RULES! I'm posting this from my Playbook with no wifi access or a separate data/tethering plan. Let's see them iPad losers do that! B-)
    10-04-11 03:18 PM
    My PlayBook is my first tablet. I purchased it about a month ago and I have no regrets. It's not perfect and it does lack some core abilities that I would like to have, but I can't complain. I purchased it as a media consumption device as I do a lot of traveling and it lasts longer and is less bulky than my laptop. Since then, I have since found other uses for it, work, email, Bridge, alarm clock.... and I am quite happy with it.

In fact, as the tech savvy person in my social group, I have already converted a few friends to the BB ecosystem and several more are in the works for both phones and tables. I don't evangelize any product or company. I simply use what works. I recommend it for some and not for others. That is the beauty of choice. We can have different phones, different tablets, different apps, etc. that best suit our individual needs.

~Ex
    10-04-11 05:50 PM
    Hello all. I am a long time BB user, but a new PB owner and a first time poster. I recently purchased a 16 GB PB at Staples (great price) for use in my Engineering business. I have a Killer ASUS laptop for heavy duty engineering and CAD applications, but wanted something to carry with me when I am not in the office. What intrigued me about the PB is the idea of taking drawings (pdf's) with me as I travel around throughout the day. Whether it is to a meeting or a job site, I have active projects, emails ,notes and my schedule at my fingertips. Recently, I was at one job site when another client called to ask a question about his project. He was in the field and the contractor had a question about a notation on the plans. I went the project folder on the PB, opened the pdf and was able to answer his question. No lost time for him and a happy client for me.....Also, I documented the conversation on my calendar and continued with the job site meeting already underway. What a time saver. Couldn't be happier.
    10-04-11 06:56 PM
    I bought the playbook as a media device, that I will also do some work on. I liked that it has HDMI and audio out, so hooking up to the tv is easy. I can't believe how smooth this thing is. I have an android phone and it isn't bad, but it does lag occasionally, the PB doesn't lag at all. Also I am switching jobs soon, and getting a BB phone, so the bridge will be awesome.

My only complaint so far (I've had it 2 whole days) is when I am steaming music from a website, I have to keep the website open all the time, I want to be able to open other apps, while listening to music, anyway to do this???
    10-05-11 09:52 AM
    I bought the playbook as a media device, that I will also do some work on. I liked that it has HDMI and audio out, so hooking up to the tv is easy. I can't believe how smooth this thing is. I have an android phone and it isn't bad, but it does lag occasionally, the PB doesn't lag at all. Also I am switching jobs soon, and getting a BB phone, so the bridge will be awesome.

My only complaint so far (I've had it 2 whole days) is when I am steaming music from a website, I have to keep the website open all the time, I want to be able to open other apps, while listening to music, anyway to do this???
    There is another browser available in appworld called "Comic Sans Browser". It is a functioning browser though not as fully featured as the main browser. Set your PB to "Showcase" mode. Select your stream and then go back to the main browser. "Showcase" unleashes the full multitasking capability of the device.
    10-05-11 10:02 AM
    I bought my first one at full price but returned it because the slow development pace didn't justify the cost. I got a great deal on my second which made the wait more tolerable.

10-05-11 10:26 AM
    Playbook is my first and only tablet and I love it! Like others said, does it have every app I'm looking for? No. But for me, I did some research going in and decided as a Blackberry user it was where I wanted to go. So far, absolutely no regrets! And tethering to my phone RULES! I'm posting this from my Playbook with no wifi access or a separate data/tethering plan. Let's see them iPad losers do that! B-)
    Is this possible to do with my blackberry Style which has OS 6?
    Thanks!

10-05-11 10:47 AM
    I'm a new user. I was going to buy an e-reader, but seeing as me and my husband fight over our only laptop and the playbook was on sale, I went ahead and bought one. Now he argues with me because I pay little attention to him now that I have "My Girl" (the name of my Playbook).
    10-05-11 11:06 AM
    haven't touched my netbook in 3 weeks. could be due to my NFS addiction...
    10-05-11 04:09 PM
    The PB was my second tablet, and currently is collecting dust in my drawer at work...I'm anxiously awaiting "2.0" with the missing email and pim apps...then I shall bring it out for work..right now iPad works for me...looking forward to giving the PB some love soon
    10-05-11 04:26 PM
    That's funny - I don't use it as a toy at all.
    It has made my professional life as smooth as glass. World of information ALWAYS at my side. In the car, on site at my client's facilities for no more cost than my Blackberry 3G data plan..

Of course it can't replace a desktop for many purposes, but it sure has unchained me from one and the associated headaches and neckaches for information browsing..which is 70 percent of my work. I can now do that 70 percent on the road or in a comfortable armchair.

Absolute required business tool as it has freed me from laptops and wifi hotspots. Paid for itself over and over and keeps on paying in efficiency and mobility. This is no toy sir. It is freedom. Ergonomic heaven.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-05-11 at 05:07 PM.
    10-05-11 04:57 PM
    Is this possible to do with my blackberry Style which has OS 6?
    Thanks!

Why, yes you can! Any Berry running OS5 or better can provide Bridge capability with the PlayBook. Enjoy!
    10-05-11 05:13 PM
    This is my first and probably only tablet ever. I begged and wished for it for my birthday, and my wish came true. If RIM abandons the tablet market, I will continue to use my PlayBook until it literally can't function anymore; like trying to use an old Pentium II processor to run anything from the web nowadays! Who knows, it might get a cult following of underground developers to make cool and innovative apps for it at that point.

I have no regrets with mine. I couldn't care less about having 300,000 game apps to play on it. There are a lot of educational apps for it. I like learning something new (or old) more than playing games. And I'd have to be bored out of my mind to want to sit around watching movies on it. The biggest use I see for that is on a rainy day while camping; and then bye-bye battery.

It's perfect for pulling up stuff on the fly while on the go versus fumbling around with my phone. Bridge fracking ROCKS!!! All the folks who complain about Bridge can just eat a fat one! When I got my 9850, I was playing with that more for a few days because it's an awesome phone and the browser on it is immeasurably better than on OS5. But I found myself coming right back to the greatness that is my PlayBook!
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 10-05-11 at 05:38 PM.
    10-05-11 05:31 PM
    That's funny - I don't use it as a toy at all.
    It has made my professional life as smooth as glass.
    Let me guess - you are a relationship expert! (which smilie to use: or )
    10-05-11 06:08 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD