I love my playbook ! for those who say the browser is slow .....wtf it gets higher scores in html5test.com than any other browser and that's without bb10.

this is a fantastic device that is better than the brand new ipad mini
    03-28-13 06:33 PM
    Got mine recently, with the latest os update. Browser seems pretty slow - no other negatives, do love it otherwise. I switched from an ipad 2
    03-28-13 06:54 PM
    I purchased the PB back in Oct 2011 and have had a love/hate relationship with it. I like the over all size but think the screen could have been larger, maybe about 8 inches with less of the 1" bezel around it. I do not believe you need an inch of bezel to swipe effectively. I actually bought it when I heard you could install android apps and there was one app that I really wanted, Sony Home Share which is available for Android and iOS and allows you to consolidate all the media on your PC, Laptop, NAS, etc and also allows you to play these media files on any DLNA device (no cable necessary) for example your smart TV or Network receiver, media player, etc. Needless to say the ported Sony Home Share app did not work on the PB. A buddy of mine came by my apt with his iPad and I downloaded and installed the app, I opened the app and it immediately recognized my PC, Laptop, NAS drive, I have 2TB of media on my NAS drive and shortly there after was able to select and play any file on any DLNA device in my apt. Took all of 2 minutes no restart necessary. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. Will Sony ever develop this app for the PB or even for BB10, I do not think so. I am not an Android or Apple fan but they do seem to have the apps you want. I have a few ported apps that do work, Kindle, WD 2go, WD Photos, IMDb, Crackle, Klondike, myATT but most times I need to restart the PB to get them to work with the exception of Kindle. Not that this is everybody's experience but it's certainly my experience with the PB. The browser has been another disaster, however, in all fairness to RIM, they have never been able to develop a satisfactory browser. BBM has not been an issue nor has email but I was annoyed when the got rid of the email icons like gmail, aol, etc. I used to use them a lot. So, am I disappointed with the PB? I sure am.
    03-28-13 09:13 PM
    I really like and enjoy my PB 64gig
    03-28-13 09:25 PM
    Yes
    it never lived up to his full potential it could have had because of incomplete operating system
    Great Hardware
    incomplete OS
    great function like bridge
    no apps from major companies, like banks, investment house, netflix, skype,

I wasted 2 years and about $700 with all the gadgets and add on I bought, for the same price I could have bought an IPad
    03-28-13 09:27 PM
    Yes
    it never lived up to his full potential it could have had because of incomplete operating system
    Great Hardware
    incomplete OS
    great function like bridge
    no apps from major companies, like banks, investment house, netflix, skype,

I wasted 2 years and about $700 with all the gadgets and add on I bought, for the same price I could have bought an IPad
    Go and buy a new iPad4 or wait for iPad5 or get the iPad mini and be glad you've got the latest and greatest for a few months. Life is too short to spend it being hacked off. Skype now is owned by Microsoft. Netflix may still be major to some. Business and banking apps mostly only help you to get to the internet and you can use the browser (and there is more than one browser available) tabs quite well in most cases. Eliminate the middleman. But you are so right that the PB OS has yet to reach it's potential. Android and Apple are further along. The 2.1 PB OS is certainly much better than that two years ago.
    03-28-13 10:25 PM
    Not disappointed at all. I knew what I was getting when I purchased it, and have since purchased 5 more for family members. It works for us and has so far not had the issues that some people are having. from me.
    03-28-13 10:45 PM
    Probably more disappointed in Rim/bb not enhancing the pb as many expected but since they were expectations, can't be disappointed that they did not come.

But surely disappointed that they have now gutted the Bridge functions with the new phones and the pb.
    califlefty likes this.
    03-29-13 12:19 AM
    nope, actually quite the opposite...my thinkpad and touchpad have been gathering dust ever since I picked up my playbook, even my 9310 is for the most part a keyboard and mouse for it!

I wish I picked one up when I was still in school.
    03-29-13 12:54 AM
    Am I disappointed that I did not buy a different device in December 2011? Kinda. PB works alright as a media device. It's well built. But it hasn't lived up to expectations regarding apps and app functionality. I'm disappointed the map apps work so poorly compared to android devices I have. I find it often (though not always) slow/laggy for a device with the specs it has. It works, in that regard, almost on a par, maybe a tad better, than my HTC One V phone with half as much ram, and much slower/more laggy than my SG 2 LTE HD phone (comparing on wifi as the PB doesn't have a data plan, obviously). Also disappointed with the file system and email limitations. These I don't understand. I think it was not unreasonable to expect improvements in all these areas by mid-2012 but it never happened and is unlikely to in the future since the PB's hardware is starting to show its age now, no matter what BB10 brings to to the table. By that time, I may have upgraded to the next Nexus 7 tab.
    03-29-13 04:03 PM
    I'm disapointed that RIM never realized how important 'media' was to it's Tablet...
    ...Can't use Netflix, Skype, Hulu or even Flixter via the Playbook browser!
    ...Can't email from the photo gallery & the .pdf reader usually can't load the full doc.

I love the build of the Playbook, it's display and size and think the U.I. is great...
    ...The Playbook simply isn't functional compared to an ipad, droid or MS Surface.
    ...Despite the quality parts and U.I. the functionality of the playbook is amature at best.

RIM really nailed it out of the park with the "Bridge" feature.....
    ...Unfortunately THAT's about it's only claim to fame.

Now, if Blackberry pushes out BB10 or at the minimum fixes their lack of media ability...
    ...The Playbook could start to sell BB phones just because of the bridge ability.
    ...Until then the Playbook will insult the phones and if anything.
    ...It's multiple failures will drive the average consumer away from anything Blackberry.
    brianatbb likes this.
    03-29-13 11:19 PM
    I am far from disappointed with mine. It has become my constant companion, replacing my laptop for most things. Granted, the app store does lack a lot of apps, however, the more than capable browser makes up for that by utilizing the full websites.
    03-29-13 11:27 PM
    I love my playbook ! for those who say the browser is slow .....wtf it gets higher scores in html5test.com than any other browser and that's without bb10.

this is a fantastic device that is better than the brand new ipad mini
    I love mine as well, but HTML5 scores have NOTHING to do with loading speeds.

Just bought NOVA 3 and Asphalt 7.
    03-29-13 11:38 PM
    I'm disapointed that RIM never realized how important 'media' was to it's Tablet...
    ...Can't use Netflix, Skype, Hulu or even Flixter via the Playbook browser!
    ...Can't email from the photo gallery & the .pdf reader usually can't load the full doc.

I love the build of the Playbook, it's display and size and think the U.I. is great...
    ...The Playbook simply isn't functional compared to an ipad, droid or MS Surface.
    ...Despite the quality parts and U.I. the functionality of the playbook is amature at best.

RIM really nailed it out of the park with the "Bridge" feature.....
    ...Unfortunately THAT's about it's only claim to fame.

Now, if Blackberry pushes out BB10 or at the minimum fixes their lack of media ability...
    ...The Playbook could start to sell BB phones just because of the bridge ability.
    ...Until then the Playbook will insult the phones and if anything.
    ...It's multiple failures will drive the average consumer away from anything Blackberry.
    And, at the moment, bbry has castrated Bridge leaving only the "tethering" and remote mousing and ending the email, memo, calendar links with the new z10 and a blog entry that's so vague and apologetic that it does not appear that they plan on adding those features back.
    Bakamushi likes this.
    03-30-13 12:16 AM
    And, at the moment, bbry has castrated Bridge leaving only the "tethering" and remote mousing and ending the email, memo, calendar links with the new z10 and a blog entry that's so vague and apologetic that it does not appear that they plan on adding those features back.
    Well, as the Z10 will only allow you to view / recall the previous "30 days" of emails...
    ...I guess I can see why they thought it best to remove that functionality from the Playbook.
    ...They wouldn't want to remind users of what they 'used to have'.
    FF22 and brianatbb like this.
    03-30-13 12:50 AM
    I am not disappointed in my PlayBook at all.
    I bought it for what it was, not what some update in the future might give it.
    I don't care about apps and games and I don't care about Netflix or Skype either.
    Spot on! Before buying anything check the specs and if it doesn't do what you need then buy something that does. Seems many posters on this thread wanting to play games and watch films would be better off getting a games machine and a TV.

I couldn't afford a Ferrari so had to settle for a Nissan but I didn't expect to get a couple of free downloads and then find a nice shiny red Ferrari on the drive.
    03-30-13 01:38 AM
    Love my PB hate the lack off apps, I like my banking from official apps etc - my financial info.should not go through a.browser, loved my Royal Bank Of Scotland app on iOS.

Secure apps for all OS should be a priority for banks, financial security is a two way process to avoid fraud and hacking from browsers.
    03-30-13 04:40 AM
    Just bought my Dad one - think that's around five or six I've got for different people now. In his case, he's on some drugs for a heart condition and one of the side effects is that it affects his eyesight. So using his old Blackberry phone is causing him some difficulty in seeing the screen. The Bridge facility is an absolute godsend, as he can now see it all on a much larger screen. It's a learning curve for him, but I think it's going to prove a wonderful gift and allow him to read and reply to all his BBMs and texts without straining his eyes.
    03-30-13 10:41 AM
    Currently streaming movies from the web via PB to my wide screen. Picture perfect. What else could you ask for?
    More than happy with my PB.
    03-30-13 11:06 AM
    disappointed???!!! HE!_!_ NO!!! just disappointed in BB draggin' their azz getting PB10 to it tho...
    03-30-13 04:37 PM
    Currently streaming movies from the web via PB to my wide screen. Picture perfect. What else could you ask for?
    More than happy with my PB.
    Where are you streaming them from? The video store?
    03-30-13 07:56 PM
    Here's a little experiment I did to demonstrate why I am disappointed with my PB.

Last night I was viewing photos in Dropbox on my PB and noticed they were very slow to load. Typically, a couple would load, then a lag (several seconds at a minimum) then maybe a couple more would load, then more lag, then a message saying Dropbox was not responding.

I fetched my Samsung S2 phone (same ram, 50% faster clock speed) and found I could load the same photos with virtually no lag, no app crashing, etc.

So this morning I decided to repeat the 'test', but a little more rigorously, and with the addition of my HTC One V phone (half a gig of ram, same clock speed as the PB). I lined them up, abaout 30 feet from the router, rebooted the HTC and Playbook (not the Samsung), cleared the cache on all, turned off flash and java on the Playbook (just in case), and launched Dropbox. It opened smoothly on both phones but crashed twice on the PB before it launched. Curiously, both times it crashed it launched with a configuration of folders that I had changed the night before, even though I had cleared the PB's cache. Whatever. All three are now open. I start loading pics. On the SG, initially they took about three seconds each to load, and about twice that on both the HTC and PB. Clearly, they were still loading in the background, so I waited a few minutes to let that happen, went back to the start of the photo queue, and tried flipping from photo to photo. On both the phones, it went quickly and seamlessly. On the Playbook, it loaded several photos, then balked. After about 20 seconds it loaded another, then the message about Dropbox not responding. I pushed the 'wait' button, it came back, but would only load photos very balkily, meaning, a few seconds, or more, between each. ... I just went back to the devices, after writing the above, to finish the experiment. The phones ran smoothly through the remaining eight photos in the folder, the HTC a split-second slower (no surprise with half the ram and slower clock speed). The Playbook again had the 'Dropbox not responding' message when I went back. Got past that, flicked the photos. Three loaded, then it balked. After about 10 seconds another loaded, then it balked again. Gave up.

Nothing about this experiment surprised me. This has been my experience of my PB from day one. I now just laugh when people on CB claim the PB's QNX is such a finely tuned operating system that it doesn't need the mega specs of android devices. The truth is just the opposite, when my android phone with half the ram can run circles, or at least load photos, around the Playbook.

Granted, this was a test of an android app, Dropbox. But that doesn't really matter since BB is missing so many common apps (like Dropbox) that PB owners who don't want to settle for a crippled (is that word PC?) tablet experience have to go the android emulator/sideload route.

By the way, for what it's worth, my router tells me the Mbps rate for each device is currently as follows:

Playbook 19
    Samsung 11 (the slowest)
    HTC 39
    03-31-13 10:24 AM
    I am not at all disappointed with my Playbook 32gb WiFi. With just over a month of use I can say that it does everything I need it too. We have a household of �I products� which are nice and polished but I just enjoy the multitasking and the ability to use flash websites that my work requires.

It also comes down to value for the dollar you simply can't beat what you get with the Playbook for the price.
    03-31-13 11:29 AM
    Love my PB hate the lack off apps, I like my banking from official apps etc - my financial info.should not go through a.browser, loved my Royal Bank Of Scotland app on iOS.

Secure apps for all OS should be a priority for banks, financial security is a two way process to avoid fraud and hacking from browsers.
    How does the app get. your information to your bank from your PB? Why is the app more secure than accessing your account on the bank web site with the browser?
    03-31-13 02:36 PM
    To answer the OP's question, no I am not disappointed with my PB.

I have been generally quite happy with the PB and it has replaced my laptop for a lot of functions. I discovered the multimedia capabilities that I did not know were there and use the PB as a centralised entertainment system for show and movie viewing on my HDTV which has allowed me to dump cable and satellite.

I am still relatively new to tablets and was really only looking to get a more functional organiser than my old Palm III plus gaining some browsing and communcation ability on the go. I was leery about what I had seen so far in tablets with the slow Android my sister showed me and the oversized and overpriced Apple offerings at the time. I was offered the chance to get a PB64 on a deal, looked into it and decided to give it a try.

Boy was I surprised with what I got out of a PlayBook with a long list of features, great display and sound, very good camera and video, centralised communications with the integrated e-mail app, ability to view hi-def videos and play them on my HDTV, load up on music and on and on.

The only objection I really have is the browser speed and low buffering limit to the flash player which causes the player to kick out if I pause a video too long. Don't really know what is behind that. Minor annoyances are the buggy native e-mail app (can't input text after I put the subject in so I do text first and then the subject), lack of folders in the native video app and linear photo browsing when trying for an attachment to e-mail or an upload on CB or a website unless I know the specific file name.

The PlayBook is definitely currently my principal device for catching up on news and information, communicating and getting work done. The laptop is only used for taxes, heavy duty word processing, spreadsheeting and document printing.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 03-31-13 at 09:24 PM.
    03-31-13 05:36 PM
339 ... 1011121314