Awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful,awful, awful, awful email.
    Yes, I'm disappointed.
    This kind of post puzzles me. Most of the time, when working on my laptop, I have the PB email app running on my desk. I use it for email rather than Windows Live Mail on the laptop. I really don't see what the problem is. One real positive is that emails come through the instant they reach the servers. On Gmail, Outlook.com and Windows Live Mail (my laptop's client) there are considerable delays - over 1/2 hour in many cases.

I have the PB email set up to receive email from my ISP's POP servers, IMAP (Gmail) and Exchange (Outlook.com aka Hotmail!).

I have all but PB set up to leave mail on server. If I delete a message on PB, it is deleted off all servers. If I do not delete, the message is still on my other email clients and can be accessed and/or saved. The undeleted messages on the PB automatically delete after about 30 days and this in turn also deletes on the server, keeping server usage to a reasonable
    amount.

I find this email set up one of the big pluses of my PB.

What is it about the Nexus and Ipads that is better? other tablets would have anything better?

PS: I already posted about my feeling about usefulness of the PB, but that applies to tablets in general. I think they are just a fad that will disappear as soon as Apple & co think of a new way of sucking us in
    BTW: Friends with iPads (not Apple fanatics) have similar feelings about the limitations of their tablets. The iPads are by no means perfect and have their own set of limitations.
    01-15-13 10:05 AM
    Guess dealbreakers mean different things to different folks.
    Quite.
    I asked earlier what you could do on the PlayBook, aside from flash videos, that you cant do on the competition. Still havent had an answer.
    Well apart from some very specific / platform things, there tends to be very few unique things, that really matter - such as bridge.

Truth of the matter is, there tends to be nothing unique about something like the Nexus, that you couldn't do on other similar Android tablets, either.

But as you ask - things I can do on the PlayBook, I can't do on the Nexus - well I can't realistically listen to music, using the small rear speaker on the Nexus, compared with the front-mounted, stereo speakers on the PlayBook. I can't output 1080p video over HDMI on the Nexus, whilst I can on the PlayBook. Without having to add software on either device, I can't easily tether my handset (Nokia N8) with a Nexus, whereas I can, natively, with the PlayBook, using bluetooth (on the Nexus, I'd either have to get an app covering bluetooth tethering, or install some software on my handset, providing a WiFi hotspot that the Nexus can use).
    If you use your PlayBook for email management, and have a BlackBerry as well, Id be very very surprised.
    I couldnt bear to wait for the app to load on my PlayBook, it took absolute ages, the 9900 manages email FAR better than the PlayBook solution.
    I don't currently have a BlackBerry handset, but I do use my PlayBook for email - not my most ideal solution, but is adequate. Performance is not an issue for me, but features and behaviour aren't strong points, IMO, for the native email client on the PlayBook.

In terms of that, I find it good enough, no better, no worse, for email, better than my Android tablets for browsing, pretty good for video, slightly unfair comparison, because I use MX video player on Android, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't an equivalent, free, decent video player for the PlayBook. But I'd rather use the stock video player on the PlayBook, than the stock video player on my Android tablets.
    bobauckland and curve-20 like this.
    01-15-13 10:11 AM
    Quite.

Well apart from some very specific / platform things, there tends to be very few unique things, that really matter - such as bridge.

Truth of the matter is, there tends to be nothing unique about something like the Nexus, that you couldn't do on other similar Android tablets, either.

But as you ask - things I can do on the PlayBook, I can't do on the Nexus - well I can't realistically listen to music, using the small rear speaker on the Nexus, compared with the front-mounted, stereo speakers on the PlayBook. I can't output 1080p video over HDMI on the Nexus, whilst I can on the PlayBook. Without having to add software on either device, I can't easily tether my handset (Nokia N8) with a Nexus, whereas I can, natively, with the PlayBook, using bluetooth (on the Nexus, I'd either have to get an app covering bluetooth tethering, or install some software on my handset, providing a WiFi hotspot that the Nexus can use).

I don't currently have a BlackBerry handset, but I do use my PlayBook for email - not my most ideal solution, but is adequate. Performance is not an issue for me, but features and behaviour aren't strong points, IMO, for the native email client on the PlayBook.

In terms of that, I find it good enough, no better, no worse, for email, better than my Android tablets for browsing, pretty good for video, slightly unfair comparison, because I use MX video player on Android, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't an equivalent, free, decent video player for the PlayBook. But I'd rather use the stock video player on the PlayBook, than the stock video player on my Android tablets.
    I can see where youre coming from, even though I dont necessarily agree with all your points.
    Bridge is a huge deal for a lot of people, but for me, wifi Hotspot is a feature on a lot of handsets, including most OS 7 devices, so the internet sharing isnt a massive difference.

The speakers are better, as I said, the hardware is great.
    HDMI out is available, despite being touted early and often, DLNA is not. DLNA is available on the Nexus 7. Would I prefer a wired set up or a wireless one?

I can use the Nexus 7, or indeed, and Android tablet, as a hub for my home. A control for Sonos. Smartglass to let me control my Xbox. Stream vids and pics to my TV. Youtube videos on my TV through the Xbox. Torrent loading on my Mac at home when Im out and about. Image editing, mail management, all sorts of things.
    I dont feel the PlayBook offers a comparable experience.

Which is a shame, as the hardware is great.
    01-15-13 10:25 AM
    1. A video player like VLC on my computer or MX Player on my Nexus that plays every video I throw at it
    2. Any kind of native messaging program as every other platform has, including the BlackBerry phones. Just one, any one would do. Prefer Facebook messenger if possible.
    3. A native browser that will actually let me watch a baseball game or hockey match (I know of the simple browser work around - I would just prefer that the native browser work - checkerboards and all)
    4. A cross platform video chat, anyone would do.

That's my list - and I think all will be solved with BB10 when it finally gets here and maybe just maybe my $550 tablet will work like a $550 tablet.

I am happy to hear any suggestions you have for me regarding my list I have tried to stay current and am on these forums all the time especially when I see the media questions and suggestions but so far I have yet to see there is just a great video player for PB that equals the two I love on the other 2 platforms I use, if you have one that works please let me know. Also I had not tried to side load facebook messenger - if you have and it works I will run to get it myself, though I have my gripes about the Android based messaging programs the keyboard becomes wonky and no spell check (and believe me I need it).

That at least is my list, most of which will disappear (at least I hope so) on the day that BB10 is available on the PlayBook. Silly me paid full price early on being a total RIM fanboy and believing that RIM understood it was important to get
    Weird, I found that the PlayBook was the best tablet for watching shows from the internet. Whenever I try to go to any Canadian broadcast website with iOS or Android, I find that I can't playback any shows. With iOS, it's a complete fall, and though I installed Flash on Android, it was not consistent or smooth. But with the PlayBook, almost always it works great!
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-15-13 10:39 AM
    I can see where youre coming from, even though I dont necessarily agree with all your points.
    Bridge is a huge deal for a lot of people, but for me, wifi Hotspot is a feature on a lot of handsets, including most OS 7 devices, so the internet sharing isnt a massive difference.
    Well as an Android user for some time, and having a Nokia N8 for some time - easy tethering matters to me - it's turned my PlayBook into almost having a 3G tablet for me.

As I said, on Android I was faced with having to do inconvenient hacks (that assumes it would work, I'm not convinced...) as the version of Android my tablets run, doesn't support ad-hoc access points that the WiFi hotspot software available for my N8 provides.

The PlayBook supporting bluetooth tethering, natively, was one of several very pleasant surprises I got when I first started using my PlayBook.
    The speakers are better, as I said, the hardware is great.
    There is significance to this, though - as my existing Android tablets only have single, rear speakers, too. Having the PlayBook, means I'll often use it to play music whilst I'm working at home - either stood in the charging dock, or in the case / stand I have. From experience, I wouldn't do that with my Android tablets only having a single rear speaker - nor would I tend to play music on the computer I'm working on - because I have a few computers, and I'm often switching between them - and when switching, the switchbox switches audio to the PC / computer I'm using at that point.

Plus means I don't necessarily have to use headphones when either watching video - obviously depending on environment.
    HDMI out is available, despite being touted early and often, DLNA is not. DLNA is available on the Nexus 7. Would I prefer a wired set up or a wireless one?
    Personally, I'd prefer wired. My Nokia N8 has HDMI out, too (although only goes up to 720p) as well a DLNA - but I've only used DLNA once or twice on it, to be cool. I've used the HDMI out plenty of times, though.

DLNA would be a nice-to-have, but I'm more likely to use, and find compatibility for HDMI, than I am for DLNA in all the scenarios I'd choose to output to a TV.
    I can use the Nexus 7, or indeed, and Android tablet, as a hub for my home. A control for Sonos. Smartglass to let me control my Xbox. Stream vids and pics to my TV. Youtube videos on my TV through the Xbox. Torrent loading on my Mac at home when Im out and about. Image editing, mail management, all sorts of things.
    I dont feel the PlayBook offers a comparable experience.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I still maintain, there's no panacea device for tablets. All have varying strengths and weaknesses, and what matters is matching requirements / needs (and to a lesser degree wants) with capabilities. Now I get early adopters may feel let down by the PlayBook, and even now, those buying at bargain prices but without much research, may still feel underwhelmed or disappointed - all that said, though, for the correct match of abilities and desire, the PlayBook can be a very good choice. As can countless other devices.

And as much as I appreciate things like the Nexus, or the iPad - and they have plenty of strengths - all the same, they're not the panacea that many purport them to be.
    01-15-13 10:48 AM

You can try and be clever but youre coming across as pretty lame at the moment.
    I'm not the one bashing at the PB on a PB forum, you know?
    Its more than just 'me and my girlfriend', I convinced a good 4 people to move to BlackBerry, OS6 and OS7 devices, and 1 other person to move to PlayBook. Course now Ive moved to an Android device, and got my wife to move as well, and everyone else is still pissed theyre stuck on legacy BBOS devices that dont do what the competition does at the same price point.
    the amount of people that you know who are disappointed with the PB is indeed overwhelming!! Oh, and please don't hesitate to let me know your use of, say, a Nexus 7, I wonder what you can do with its 8GB compared to my 64GB PN at less than �200...
    Judging by the figures and the fact that its still for sale at fire sale prices, Id say theres plenty of evidence that PlayBooks arent selling, they arent selling because the software doesnt do what people expect in a business, or consumer grade tablet.
    once again (but you won't do it) go check websites like Pixmania, Amazon, ..., and read how many good reviews can be found since (and even before) the prices dropped down...
    The hardware, Ill stress, is pretty cool, Id say awesome even, particularly when it came out, but the software lets it down bigtime.
    I'm really happy with the software, and I'm not the only one. Seems the majority is, as a matter of fact

Maybe if you werent so blind, youd look at what the competition offers, Ive spent less money on apps on both my iPad and my Android phone, and they both do far more than my Playbook or 9900 did, and the apps for BB were considerably more expensive.
    Kindle Fire? Nexus? Galaxy. How much are they, how much memory? Like so many mentioned, how many native (and free) applications can you use from the start? Any Word type application when you first turn it on? Spreadsheet? How about Flash?
    I know what Im talking about very clearly, and I know enough to be able to recognise the similarities, in launch, planning, hype, and overall feel on this forum, between BB10 and the PlayBook debacle, and thats worrying.
    what you DO know is how to troll on this forum, sorry to break your spirit... It's freaking amazing the amount of BS you wrote in this thread...

Both were hyped to no end without clear specifics, in the PlayBooks case that fizzled out into no real payoff, I hope that doesnt happen with BB10 but theres no evidence so far that suggests history wont repeat itself.
    you're also a fortune teller as well?
    01-15-13 10:59 AM
    Again, touting the apps the pb does not have, Kalemsoft has added DLNA to the pb.

Wifi-hot-spotting costs more for some of us in the US. Bridge does not.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-15-13 11:02 AM
    I'm so sorry your dissapointed with you BB PB experience. For me, $300 worth of apps/games from iOS/Android Sideloaded to my 64GB PB>>> SO WORTH THE TIME to Spend. for the price of the PB you can never go wrong. though it lacks some famous apps, there are some alternatives anyways. Just dig dipper through the forums.
    Really? I understood only free apps were to be side loaded? Just curious.
    01-15-13 11:17 AM
    Again, touting the apps the pb does not have, Kalemsoft has added DLNA to the pb.

Wifi-hot-spotting costs more for some of us in the US. Bridge does not.
    Fair enough, lucky to be somewhere where hotspotting isnt an extra.
    I looked at Kalemsofts software, cos Id be happy to dust off my PlayBook and use it as a media streamer, but as far as I can see you need to have the client and server app installed, meaning I cant use this to stream to my DLNA enabled TV, is that right?
    01-15-13 11:17 AM
    I'm so sorry your dissapointed with you BB PB experience. For me, $300 worth of apps/games from iOS/Android Sideloaded to my 64GB PB>>> SO WORTH THE TIME to Spend. for the price of the PB you can never go wrong. though it lacks some famous apps, there are some alternatives anyways. Just dig dipper through the forums.
    I hope that's $300 worth of apps that were paid for before you side loaded them or you are bragging about stealing work from developers. If you didn't buy them from the developer... Well... You go glen coco, keep on thieving apps. How wonderful for you.

PHONE: Galaxy S3 Garnet Red
    ROM: AOKP Jellybean 4.2.1
    RicThot likes this.
    01-15-13 11:26 AM
    Fair enough, lucky to be somewhere where hotspotting isnt an extra.
    I looked at Kalemsofts software, cos Id be happy to dust off my PlayBook and use it as a media streamer, but as far as I can see you need to have the client and server app installed, meaning I cant use this to stream to my DLNA enabled TV, is that right?
    Not at all. The server app is optional.
    I stream from Twonky DLNA server on a WD My Book Live NAS drive.
    I find it faster than the server app also.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-15-13 12:23 PM
    Honestly the most disappointing thing for me about it is its hardware build quality, especially the screen. Stack it next to the iPad and it's no competition. The PB feels cheap and scratches, cracks and gains dead pixels like no other device. I own both a PB and an iPad2 and the iPad 2 is still flawless - scratch free, beautiful screen, while my Playbook has all kinds of giant scars from the most mild of impacts including a faintly visible gash diagonally across the screen and has been RMA'd twice for dead pixels. I don't exactly wrap my devices in bubbles, but I don't abuse them either - my Bold looks fine after two years of use.

Though, the usage is what counts. I use the PB more than the iPad for bridge, HDMI support, flash browser and better speakers to run off of, and is also a multitasking workhorse so I drag it with me on trips and cafes. The iPad is the leisure device - Netflix, magazines, Flipboard, Skype, games, and the quality and form of it outshines the Playbook night and day. RIM just needs to put BB10 on it and, if they ever make another tablet, use the iPad's build quality as the benchmark (or at least build a more durable screen).
    01-15-13 12:40 PM
    Well Ive had my PB 4 months now and use it daily, often for extended periods, and I do have a screen protector on it, and use a journal case. So no issues with scratches or cracks, and fingers crossed no dead pixels. I find the PB to be of excellent build quality, feels solid and well built. Never used an iPad, so cant compare the two. Used to have an iPod Touch, other than the chrome back, it was excellent build, feel to it, and of course screen.
    LeKeiser likes this.
    01-15-13 12:52 PM
    I bought the playbook for �130 and I couldn't be happier! Wot a bargain! Of course it's not perfect and no other tablet is (I use an iPad at work) but you get what is closest to your needs. If I paid for my work iPad i would be writing a similar post to the OP on iMore! There are a few apps that would be really nice, like Skype and a good free turn by turn satnav but to say I'm dissapointed by that would be like saying I love my Audi but dissapointed that it doesn't sound like a Ferrari!

The other thing I took into account when purchasing teh playbook is the fact that BB10 will be coming to it FOC. That's like buying an AUdi today and getting it upgraded to a Ferrari next year! How cool is that? Roll on.
    ps. I would never buy a Ferrari ha
    01-15-13 01:45 PM
    Not at all. The server app is optional.
    I stream from Twonky DLNA server on a WD My Book Live NAS drive.
    I find it faster than the server app also.
    Wow thanks will definitely look into that, would love to use my PlayBook as a media streamer.
    01-15-13 03:06 PM
    What a lot of tish

Buy a cheaper tablet or a more expensive one

Who cares. At this point in time the PB great but all of them will be consigned to a drawer in three years time
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-15-13 03:37 PM
    The laggy, jerky screen scrolling ends up giving me headaches from eye strain, seriously. I couldn't care less about Apps. If I never see a blue checker board ever again in my life i will one happy person. I hope BB10 comes to Playbook and that it eliminates blue checker board. If it doesn't, then my PB is going on Amazon. My first three smart phones were BB, but since I've bought a Nexus 4, my headaches are gone, i rarely use my PB any more due to the excellent speed and size of screen is adequate to use as my main device for web browsing and all else.
    01-15-13 04:42 PM
    It's interesting that the quota of negative comments on here don't match up at all with the responses I've had from those trying out a PlayBook.

I mentioned the Playbook to my work colleagues - their initial response was a smirk and the presumption that only an iPad would do. But when I brought it in, and they got to play with it, that quickly changed and they were very complimentary.

Over Christmas, my sister's husband was playing Angry Birds on his Android phone. I showed him Angry Birds Space on the Playbook and he was immediately hooked. He kept commenting on the 'unbelievable' sound from its little speakers, and the great screen. I couldn't get it back off him until it was time to go home.

My elderly father, who is unwell, video called me on the Playbook tonight to ask how a meeting went. He loves his PlayBook because the OS is so natural and easy to use. He struggles with his Windows 7 laptop but has absolutely no problem using the Playbook. The video call quality was brilliant.

Slagging off the Playbook is just silly, especially at its current pricepoint.
    01-15-13 06:06 PM
    I think your smokin crack. I love my playbook its amazing. but it all depends on what you use it for and what you need it for. it entertains my women while I'm driving and pandora is bridged through my bold 9930 while playing through my car radio. I play black ops zombies and use a turtle beach which has bluetooth. when I'm playing long matches I stream pandora to my headset.

I just think you should give it another chance. there's many things you can do with it. you just have to explore and browse the forums, see what apps everyone loves. and bb 10 is also around the corner
    01-15-13 07:24 PM
    it entertains my women while I'm driving
    Respect...
    borbella likes this.
    01-17-13 03:12 PM
    Respect...
    Oh dear....
    01-17-13 05:38 PM
    I purchased the 64G Playbook when it first came out. I liked it but as many knew it was lacking in some areas. I kept waiting for the updates while my wife had an Ipad 2 which she says she really likes. Mid last year I bought an Ipad 3 with cellular. I like the pretty picutres that it had but functionally it has been very awkward. This was my first apple device and I hate the operating system. It is a nice looking device but the button is killing me or is very not productive. The gestures that have been put in are not very good. The playbook is now waiting for an update that I hope is coming soon with BB10. From what I have read and the vidoes that I have seen, I really think that BB will be back. I also have a 9900 which works well for me. I don't need alot of apps but a better browser would be awesome. I hope that when the playbook updates that it is everything that I have read. If so I will upgrade to the BB10.
    jpash549 likes this.
    01-17-13 05:50 PM
    Oh dear....
    Well I thought it was funny....
    01-17-13 05:56 PM
    Lol at people saying the playbook replaced their laptop.... if that's really true - why did you get a laptop int the first place lol....
    01-17-13 06:11 PM
    Lol at people saying the playbook replaced their laptop.... if that's really true - why did you get a laptop int the first place lol....
    Until the iPad came out there wasn't much of an alternative was there? Not everyone has ever needed the power a laptop provides, a tablet is ample. But they weren't around. Personally, I couldn't manage without my laptop as well, but then I need it for work.
    01-17-13 06:35 PM
339 ... 7891011 ...