I love it but ya, total garbage until OS 2. Rim knew it too but senior management pushed it out way too soon. Hubris, so much hubris...
    Honestly I wouldn't have bought it unless I knew that bb10 was coming for it. Although I could stay OS2 if we had Netflix
    01-11-13 10:28 PM
    yes since the 2nd day with it.
    01-11-13 10:34 PM
    I once had an android phone. I was constantly installing and installing apps; found very few that were keepers. I agree there are shortcomings to the playbook, but a "brick" really?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-11-13 10:58 PM
    Have you checked your saved connections for the one you connected to yesterday and removed and try adding again? Also some hotels have timers on the wifi connections.

well I wasn't till today. I'm at a hotel and it will not hook to the wifi. it is an open wifi and yesterday it worked. I have rebooted and tried over and over. stupid part is my phone bb9900 does not even pick up any wifi connection. pb shows 2 open and one locked. very strange.
    01-11-13 11:09 PM
    Oh, you just reminded me that I paid over 700$ for it (my approximative conversion from euro to dollars)
    Sorry about that.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-11-13 11:31 PM
    Yes, the browser is obscenely bad. Yes, the app support is painfully poor. And no, I wouldn't expect any objective answers to your queries in an echo chamber.
    Actually most of us have been objective even though the only query was "Are you disapointed with your PlayBook ?". The post itself contains no questions.
    01-11-13 11:39 PM
    Ya!!! I want blackberry10. On my playbook 4g/lte!!!! Muhahahahahaha
    01-11-13 11:44 PM
    Not at all disappointed with mine, it has replaced my 2 laptops and desktop PC's for many things. I could care less about trying to sort through thousands of Apps to find a couple that I may use a few times and forget about. My most favorite "Need for Speed " which I played many times even gets forgotten alot. It's very hard to satisfy everyone in this world but I do know for sure I am very happy with mine from day one....April 19, 2011.
    01-11-13 11:45 PM
    I bought mine a year ago and I still use it everyday. Too many features of PlayBook have been underrated, such as Bridge, full multitasking and the swipe gestures. An iPad can't do the first two and requires to be enabled in settings for the use of all four fingers to do the third.
    I had found the screen to be over sensitive to greasy finger marks, but this has been eliminated by adding a screen protector. The browser can be a pain at times with freezing and checkboarding.
    The os is close to brilliant with full multitasking and it has never crashed or frozen.
    The PlayBook is solidly built is a bargain when it can be bought for a third of the price of an equivalent iPad Mini.
    01-12-13 04:18 AM
    No, I am not disappointed at all with my PlayBook. It cost �129 inc. delivery for a 64Gb device that interracts with my BB phone and does many useful things that enhance my life. Sure, it could be better, and it does require a bit of work browsing forums such as Crackberry to get the best out of it, but for the money it's a steal. So much so that I bought two; I started with a secondhand 16 GB bought off eBay back in February 2012 for �150, then when prices dropped I bought the 64 GB. I use that as a music player mainly, and a mobile DJ platform using the Pacemaker app.

As with all mobile devices, and desktop PCs for that matter, a lot depends what you want to do with the device. Each tablet has its strengths and weaknesses. If the PlayBook doesn't meet your needs, just move on and buy an iPad or Android device.
    01-12-13 04:34 AM
    Most certainly not disappointed. I purchased mine as a shot in the dark after a disastrous experience with the Nexus 7. What it delivered for �129 blew my mind. My wife was using it so much that I ended up getting one for her as well. My parents also loved the look of it and I bought one for them as well.

It has some annoying quirks but I can live with those.
    Revampd likes this.
    01-12-13 04:59 AM
    Not at all disapointed, but very happy with my Playbook. Its the BEST tablet in the world for me!

Why?
    I have got an Ipad which is nothing more than a big App Player.. too big, the crappy non multitasking IOS and the use of ITUNES make me Not like it.
    I also had an Yarvik Android tablet and oh my god, what a piece of junk this Android OS is. I can understand why Google is giving away android to the (Not to Smart)phone and tablet manufacturers. Charging even a penny for this OS would be considered Theft! Anyway is sold it after a week of frustration.
    Last few weeks i have been testing a Acer Iconia W7 windows 8 tablet. Specs to Blow most other devices away (I3 processor, 4096MB bla bla bla) but its just not good enough. Its just another windows device, again to Big and not well build. It has fans that kick in when the tablet becomes hot, and its more like a Laptop replacement. (the device is shipped with a bluetooth keyboard as well)

So end of the line, its the Blackberry Playbook with its great form factor and Build quality that i carry around all day.
    I use my playbook for: (some keyfeatures)
    email - native client
    twitter - blaq
    webbrowsing - Native Browser works for me
    games - Many good playbook games
    Watching videos - Kalemsoft streams them from my synology nas
    reading ebooks - Playepub
    navigation - magellan compas and osmond
    skype (and other socialmedia chat) - IM+
    fotos and HD videos using its cameras.
    (and many other apps....)

I know that the devices mentioned above are also capable of doing this but NOT the way the Playbook does.
    The true multitasking operating system, the bezel swiping, the smart UI, its just great. Its a tablet like a tablet should be!
    Deckard79 and axllebeer like this.
    01-12-13 05:36 AM
    Well it's spellchecker musn't be ***** proof
    01-12-13 06:11 AM
    Most people have responded honestly enough. But it is ok for someone to be disappointed and to dislike it you know. The OP has an opinion as valid as anyone else's. Personally I think the PlayBook is terrific, and seriously underrated. But it did fail for a reason, and it would be daft to think everything has been fixed. The app selection IS limited, and that does hamstring the device, it would be silly to deny that.

And if you dont have a Blackberry phone, then thats going to be even more highlighted as you don't have Bridge. Don't bite his head off.
    FF22 and bruteforce037 like this.
    01-12-13 06:54 AM
    How is it unfinished? what's missing? and don't say BBM or apps.. BBM isn't on any other tablet, so saying it's not on the playbook as an issue is a non-starter, and while it would be nice to see some more apps, that's up to developers to make them.. it has nothing to do with the playbook itself.. so those two non-starter 'complaints' aside.. i'm very curious.. what does the playbook need to be "a finished product" in your opinion?
    How is it unfinished? OK, you're looking at pictures and you want to email someone one of them in a folder of 100's. While in the picture viewing app can you choose "send to", nope. In email you can attach, have you tried to find the one pic you want to send and attach it? Yes after scrolling thru 100's of them to find it. I'm browsing and all of a sudden my browser goes poof and disappears or it locks up completely forcing me to do a 3 finger salute. The browser use to be better but over updates it pauses for long periods of time and has slowed down, as another mentioned bookmark management isn't good but I will say win8 metro is just as bad or worse. My battery life is worse since the last update. It's the little things that add up. I'm sure there are more little things if I took longer to think about it.

While I do love my pb it is not a finished or optimized OS yet. I'm pretty sure that BB10 will not have these issues. I know the pb was put on the back burner a long time ago to get BB10 done and I'm good with that but to say I'm not disappointed after a year and a half of the same missing features would be a lie for me. There is plenty to love about it but there is also plenty to annoy you at times too. There is still some functionality missing and I'm not talking about apps.

If all a person got one for was playing games or because it was cheap (mine wasn't) well then yep you just might be completely satisfied.
    FF22, Rello, Wink29 and 3 others like this.
    01-12-13 07:37 AM
    Not only do I love my own playbook but I encouraged many of my friends to get one and every one of them loves theirs. They encouraged their friends and family to get one and everyone of them thinks it's great. The fact is that it can do so many different things and so if you use it for just two or three of the myriad possibilities it's still a bargain. I know some people who would use it just for the great Video Chat if their elderly parents could get access to wifi. I myself use mine for a lot of different uses including video-chatting, spreadsheets, music, video playing, book reading, navigation, email (of course) but, most of all, for the browser. I use SimpleBrowser Plus for most of the viewing because I can set the first tab to use disable the Flash and Javascript so that the pages load lightning fast. Then if I continue to a link that will require those then I do a long press on the link, choose 'Open in New Tab' and it's loaded in Tab 2 which is fully enabled. It's the best of both worlds and it's marvellous.

I've had mine for a year and a half now and I still think it's absolutely great and an absolute steal at today's prices. I'm sorry for those that can't find enough good things in their own PlayBook but I'm still encouraging people to pick up what I consider to be the best deal in my 35 years of working with computers.
    01-12-13 07:47 AM
    I get this problem all the time in hotels. Everyone's on 'wifi' devices now and the WiFi usually sucks in them ... bad. My MacBook, PlayBook, iPod, and iPhone seldom have consistent luck connecting in most hotels. Only a good old ethernet will deliver good results in this age of WiFi.
    I just wish people that travel with a laptop would take an ethernet cable with them when they travel. They always forget that a laptop can always connect via wireless or ethernet (blue cable that goes from the wall to the back of the computer) cable. Cable has no freedom of movement, but it does provide a solid connection on the network, usually more so than any wireless connection. Even if u r sitting right next to the wireless router, you can still experience horrible connection speeds, or not even be able to connect to the web when it says that it is connected. I'm just sayin... Sheesh! Always travel with a network cable when traveling with a laptop, period!
    01-12-13 08:27 AM
    In no way at all. As others indicated everyone knows its shortcomings in apps a bit, but no other OS multi tasks better and it fulfills every need I'm looking for.
    I don't need to play games all day long, I'm looking for function. And the fact I can use it anywhere when connected to my BB phone, is awesome!
    01-12-13 09:03 AM
    I just wish people that travel with a laptop would take an ethernet cable with them when they travel. They always forget that a laptop can always connect via wireless or ethernet (blue cable that goes from the wall to the back of the computer) cable. Cable has no freedom of movement, but it does provide a solid connection on the network, usually more so than any wireless connection. Even if u r sitting right next to the wireless router, you can still experience horrible connection speeds, or not even be able to connect to the web when it says that it is connected. I'm just sayin... Sheesh! Always travel with a network cable when traveling with a laptop, period!
    I carry a cable and a portable WiFi Router / Access Point.
    Connect the Access Point to the hotel's Ethernet and I have WiFi for everything in my room.
    All of my devices are already set up to recognize my own Access Point so as long as the hotel's Ethernet is working correctly I have Internet access.
    NakedPaulToast likes this.
    01-12-13 09:08 AM
    I was given my PlayBook (64 Gig) in December 2012 as a birthday gift. I have to say at first I was really pleased, but 6 weeks on I have become bored and frustrated with it.
    Yes but only because my nephew smashed the screen and i have been waiting for 4 days for the replacement LCD to arrive . Once it does then heck no it won't be a dissapointment
    01-12-13 09:32 AM
    I have had the playbook since close to its release. I used it quite a bit at first and even setup my work vpn on the device as well as Remote Desktop and was quite pleased with its functionality. When it came to gaming I was able to do what I wanted on it and thoroughly enjoyed Dead Space. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the bluetooth keyboard case and if I would have I feel like I would have used it even more.

I recently received an ipad Mini with a bluetooth keyboard case for Christmas which is what I am using now. I have also switched to the iphone for my business and personal use. I do like a few apps that are available on the iphone and ipad that are not available on the Blackberry platform. Just a couple that I really enjoy and use quite often are Pulse, Netflix, and Redbox. They are not huge apps to me to not have but definitely make things easier on my way home when I can just open the Redbox app and select a movie.

I know that there are ways to access those websites via the Blackberry Playbook but it is just not as easy.

I am holding onto my Blackberry Playbook for when I pickup a Blackberry 10 phone but I don't see myself getting rid of the ipad Mini. I am very hopeful for RIM and their future, I think I will eventually be able to carry only Blackberry and be happy.
    01-12-13 09:39 AM
    A: No I am not.

Overall I needed more than an app launcher a media consumption device. I needed a 1+1=3 (Playbook+BB Phone). The purchase was a homerun and the tablet brought me back to the phones and I couldn't be happier.
    01-12-13 09:44 AM
    I have 2 and they rock in my opinion! Use them every day, my laptop is very dusty.
    01-12-13 09:59 AM
    Well I definitely love mine.
    01-12-13 10:01 AM
    I carry a cable and a portable WiFi Router / Access Point.
    Connect the Access Point to the hotel's Ethernet and I have WiFi for everything in my room.
    All of my devices are already set up to recognize my own Access Point so as long as the hotel's Ethernet is working correctly I have Internet access.
    What brand/model portable router?
    01-12-13 10:10 AM
339 12345 ...