I was given my PlayBook (64 Gig) in December 2012 as a birthday gift. I have to say at first I was really pleased, but 6 weeks on I have become bored and frustrated with it. First and I feel most importantly is the lack of quality apps for the unit. Compared to IOS and Android devices the BlackBerry App market is laughable. But in the first few days I thought not a problem, the PlayBook supports Android Apps !! Wrong, there is no way to access the Android Market without a jailbreak on my unit running OS 2.1.0.1314, which is not how I expected Android support to work. You have to side load the apps, so eliminating the need for one device. Then you spend hours downloading and side loading apps that don't work.. It seems Android compatibility is very limited, and the average consumer is, I feel being duped with the " Android Compatible " claims.

Support for the device is terrible, none of the people/companies creating apps for IOS and Android are bothering with PlayBook.

No support for BlackBerry's most popular app....BBM...... unless you have yet another BB device to Bridge through. What an over sight...

All in all after a few weeks this has become nothing more than a brick, getting very little use (mostly by my 6yr old) and I am currently looking at purchasing an Android device.
    The need to have access to a computer for getting any decent apps and a BB phone to use BBM means three units to get anywhere near a decent experience from the PlayBook, I am really disappointed in BlackBerry and the PlayBook. With just a little more thought this device could have easily challenged Apple and Android units.

Surely the PlayBook could have had a locked BB OS running the system but with full Android support and most definitely the ability to interact on a stand alone basis with other BBM users.... I have tried to sell the unit but the first question is always "does it have BBM", the second you say "not without a separate BB phone" people don't want to know.

Such a shame based on my experiences with BB phones I expected so much more from a BB Tablet.
    direfan and hreiner1 like this.
    01-11-13 12:22 PM
    Can't agree, had mine a few months now and it's replaced my laptop for most things.

I bought it as a smaller option to ipads as I wanted a device to connect to the web for emails and browsing while on motorcycle trips.
    Was extremely pleased to find that it would tether to my Nokia N8 and use the phone as a bluetooth modem for accessing the web when wifi is unavailable.

Pulls all my email and facebook accounts together, I have over 32 quality games on it, the dearest was EA Monopoly at I think �7 but most others were free of �2 or �3 only, such as all the excellent Gameloft ones.

I've installed a few Android apps on it, such as Kindle etc, easy enough job and you can normally find the android install apk files by searching online without going near the Android store, getting them converted at
    PlayBook .apk to .bar converter
    before sideloading them onto the playbook.

I regularly connect online to catchuptv to view freeview tv, which allow me to prop the PB on a shelf in the bathroom and watch tv while relaxing in the bath

I'm not fussed about a million apps, only mainly that the device has a decent web interface as most things can nowadays be done from web browsers.

About the only complaints I have is that it'd be nice to have USB OTG enabled, BT file sharing enabled, an SD slot and to have a simple PPTP client to connect to my office with. Oh and it would've been handy if Hexcodes GS911 would have run on it for bike diagnostics while travelling but I have that on my Nokia N8 so it's no hardship.

I've got several movies copied to it for when on trips, many hotels have hdmi enabled tv's so carrying the cable means I can watch my movies on the hotel tv

All in all it's the best �129 I have ever spent, especially when compared with an ipad mini. The 64gb storage is great, the cameras good quality. All in all a brilliant little device.
    01-11-13 12:41 PM
    Yes. The browser is a disaster. For the price though and the hope that BB10 improves the web experience I'm still optimistic it will be a great device.
    trsbbs likes this.
    01-11-13 12:47 PM
    Actually, I find that it's far far better than I was expecting it to be.
    01-11-13 12:53 PM
    @ OP

I'll buy your Playbook from you, for a couple of quid or so...
    Just PM me to negotiate a price ...

Cheers
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-11-13 12:55 PM
    Use mine constantly. Myself I'm not one to need or want an app for everything under the sun. What I am disappointed with is how long it took/is taking to fix the issues that have been there forever. Hoping BB10 will be that fix.
    01-11-13 12:57 PM
    I've had my PlayBook since the beginning and love it. Maybe that's because I was fully aware of its capabilities and shortcomings when I bought it. Although I can understand some of your frustrations, they're all very known facts that most of us regular BlackBerry users are aware of. Seeing that the PlayBook will be getting BlackBerry 10 soon, I think you may as well wait until Jan 30 to see any PlayBook OS upgrade details first before jumping ship and selling it. I think once the PlayBook gets the BlackBerry 10 OS upgrade, all your complaints will be addressed.
    01-11-13 01:02 PM
    For the OP..... really should do your homework..... at no time,,, way shape or form had RIM ever said that all Android apps would run...they actually went out of their way to make sure prospective buyers knew this.... so why this defines the Playbook's value is beyond me....as for apps.... it is another example of personal choice....I own 3 playbooks..... Ipad.... an Galaxy Tab.....rarely use the two later devices and have the Playbook as my primary tablet.... Do the others have more apps.... sure.... but nothing that interest me.... For me the Playbook does the job....
    01-11-13 01:08 PM
    Playbook's current OS is a joke to be honest. In terms of hardware, i would give it a perfect 10 out 10.
    01-11-13 01:09 PM
    Playbook's current OS is a joke to be honest.
    Why?
    rockinbilly likes this.
    01-11-13 01:19 PM
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: Look into the forums on this site. It will help you get the most out of your PB.
    peteygrizz likes this.
    01-11-13 01:20 PM
    Compared to IOS and Android devices the BlackBerry App market is laughable.
    I don't dispute this, but this is also not a 'new' problem. If you're surprised by this, then I don't know what to tell you.

the average consumer is, I feel being duped with the " Android Compatible " claims.
    I don't think I ever remember a PlayBook being advertised with the words "Android compatible" anywhere at any time. Again, if you thought this, I don't know what to tell you.

none of the people/companies creating apps for IOS and Android are bothering with PlayBook.
    Really? None whatsoever. :-)

No support for BlackBerry's most popular app....BBM...... unless you have yet another BB device to Bridge through. What an over sight...
    This is also well known and "not new".

for getting any decent apps
    Ahh ... you downloaded and tried all 30,000+ apps in App World and determined none are "decent" have you? How much did that cost you?

Surely the PlayBook could have had a locked BB OS running the system
    I doubt it. The PlayBook is dual core and I don't know of any current BBOS devices that support such an architecture. The experience would probably be pretty terrible too.

\
    01-11-13 01:25 PM
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment but I'm more then happy with my Playbook's (one of which I've had since launch).. The bridge feature is brilliant.. I have a 9860 and I take both Playbook and phone with me every where. Is it perfect? No not yet but once it gets the BB10 OS, I'm sure it's going to be awesome, although I'm sure some will still be unhappy....

As for Apps I have over 100 on my playbook but find I use 10-20 regularly. I'll give you most of the Andriod apps that have been ported aren't great, but there are a few that have been done we'll and continue to get developer support and updates. Just a few of my favourites are:

Nasa TV
    Solar Explorer
    ReadonTouch Pro (although with the bridge you always have internet access)
    PhotoStudio (Android Port)
    PicShop
    Scrapbook
    Pencil Camera (Great app)
    Cineplex and TVlink (Canadian)
    Neutron Music Player (awesome!)
    File & Folders (Awesome file management, supports Skydrive, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, SugarSync)
    Nexus (for Playbook to playbook file sharing)
    Hide My Files
    Google Search
    Dolphin Browser (Android Port)
    MoneyPlus (Awesome App! Great finance tracking, developer's BB10 version is looking great too)
    SimpleStock
    AutoPlay Videos
    Camera Burst
    Slotch (Clock)
    HoliDates
    Grocery List and Grocery Made Easy (the List is great for quick lists other gives more details is you really want to track costs and such)
    Slacker Radio
    Compas
    Nogago Maps (begun using GPS with Google Maps a little more, but my main stay has always been Blackberry Traffic on the phone)
    Animated Weather HD
    Globe News
    Conqu
    GrooveyNotes
    Meeting Minutes (Android Port)
    ScoreMobile (again probably won't work for you in the UK)
    Basketball Central
    NFL News Feeds
    Blaq
    inLink
    Workout Trainer (Android port)
    Who got Brains

I won't even get into games.. There may not be 600K apps but there are enough to keep you busy.. If you'd like I'll take that "Brick" off your hands for $50.
    01-11-13 01:33 PM
    I really enjoy my PB. It allows me to mail, browse.... work and play. It has it's faults(wish it had a usb port). However NO device is perfect. When I don't have it in hand I wonder where I put it
    calles and David in Durham like this.
    01-11-13 01:48 PM
    Yes. The browser is a disaster. For the price though and the hope that BB10 improves the web experience I'm still optimistic it will be a great device.
    i'm actually quite impressed with the browser. i've played with a few other tabs and the sites that i frequent are best displayed by the PB.

to the OP, sorry to hear your PB is being underused at the moment. I'm sure there are people on this forum that are willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price.
    Banco and calles like this.
    01-11-13 02:05 PM
    I'm not all disappointed with my PB, in fact quite the reverse! I checked the specs and available apps before I bought it to make sure it would do all I needed. Since, with the help of this forum, I've found it will do much more than expected. Having great fun and thoroughly enjoying myself.

Roger
    01-11-13 02:11 PM
    OP, you are aware, aren't you, that this is a fan site for BB Playbook? It's also a place where you, as a PB owner can learn about it. That you haven't taken advantage of the vast store of PB knowledge here is obvious. Sorry you're unhappy with your PB. I love mine and I suspect most of the members here feel the same way.
    calles and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    01-11-13 02:29 PM
    No, never disappointed in it

so .............
    Are you disapointed with your PlayBook ?-lber5.png

I think the real issue with the PlayBook is that people don't understand it.

The PlayBook was designed to be a business based tablet with maybe the best security out there and it just happens to let the user play games.

People are buying them with one thing in mind .......... playing games .......... after all it is call playbook.
    01-11-13 02:36 PM
    well I wasn't till today. I'm at a hotel and it will not hook to the wifi. it is an open wifi and yesterday it worked. I have rebooted and tried over and over. stupid part is my phone bb9900 does not even pick up any wifi connection. pb shows 2 open and one locked. very strange.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-11-13 02:45 PM
    well I wasn't till today. I'm at a hotel and it will not hook to the wifi. it is an open wifi and yesterday it worked. I have rebooted and tried over and over. stupid part is my phone bb9900 does not even pick up any wifi connection. pb shows 2 open and one locked. very strange.
    I get this problem all the time in hotels. Everyone's on 'wifi' devices now and the WiFi usually sucks in them ... bad. My MacBook, PlayBook, iPod, and iPhone seldom have consistent luck connecting in most hotels. Only a good old ethernet will deliver good results in this age of WiFi.
    blusls and Stewartj1 like this.
    01-11-13 02:47 PM

People are buying them with one thing in mind .......... playing games .......... after all it is call playbook.
    It's called PlayBook as in a coaches book of strategies/plays. Not because it's for playing games.
    01-11-13 02:48 PM
    Only two complaints.
    One is the lack of native java support.
    I can't view my security cams at home without it.
    I think this can be overcome with a little work, but I won't bother until the other item is addressed...

Which is, Slingbox. Only other App I need to make me love my playbook.
    Forums on here show no one (that I can find in my searches, anyway) has been successful in porting the Android Slingbox app (or any other) over to the Playbook.

So I end up leaving my Playbook at home when we travel and use my wife's Kindle on the road.
    Which makes me sad.

I called Slingbox today. No plans to offer a native app for Blackberry anytime soon, including BB10.

In general terms, "love" and "hate" usually get thrown around on the basis of how you use the device.
    Often on just one or two key measurements.

It seems solid, I love the look, feel, size, etc... there's just one or two things I REALLY want to do that I can't.
    Which keeps me from being able to say 'I love it.'

So for me, that qualifies as 'disappointing.'
    Doesn't mean it's not a great machine. It just doesn't do something I really want it to do.
    01-11-13 02:53 PM
    Ok, to answer some people..... I did not claim that RIM had or has ever advertised the PB as Android compatible, but the sales people who recommended this to the family member who made the birthday purchase most definitely used the "Android Compatible" as a big selling point over a similar priced Android based Tab. Everything they read on the internet before the final purchase also confirmed this for them, and was a big, big influence on the purchase.

And slparry, you did note you said your PB has replaced your laptop for MOST things didn't you.. Well to answer that, my smart phone has replaced my laptop for MOST things..Email, browsing the net, listening to music, watching movies, the list goes on... I don't want to carry around a larger heavier unit when my phone does the same if not more.. I want my Tab be a more convenient, more mobile replacement for my laptop. And this is where the PB falls short. Both Apple and Android devices have great support that is available as long as you have internet access, if you need or require an app for either of them while out and about just download it, the PB probably won't have the app you need in its own market, so then you got to get access to a PC to look for and hope there's a Compatible Android app. It's more a semi mobile device than a full on go anywhere tab.

And RubberChicken76, no of course I have not tried all 30,000 apps.... I speak from the ones I have tried and found to be not exactly what I expected quality wise. Yes it's the same for all systems and their apps... But the big difference here is the support for the systems, the big two IOS and Android have a far bigger developer base, meaning the apps are of a far better quality because each developer is trying to make their app better than the competitions. The PB has very little support so therefore it goes without saying that most apps are far from the best they could be if there was more people/companies developing apps for the system.

I don't want to upset those who like their PB's, I'm truly glad your happy with your system, I personally am a little disappointed in mine and just wondered if I was on my own...

I far from hate the system, but I am disappointed at it's lack of ability to compete with if not surpass it's two main rivals. And from a loyal BB phone user that has surprised me.. I expected so much more.

But that's a personal thing....
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-11-13 02:56 PM
    I love threads like this... at the end of day it comes down to doing your research before you buy.

I'll concede that at launch, the playbook should only have been marketed at a companion device to current Blackberry users.. I can see why a non blackberry users might have found it lacking, but even then.. having had done my research, and being a blackberry phone owner, I was very happy with it, I picked it up on launch day and never looked back. Introduce OS2, and now the playbook is a fully functional tablet no matter which phone you have, providing every function that any other tablet out there does and more! I hear over and over again that it is lacking standalone BBM.. and while I'm not saying it's there, or wouldn't be nice if it was.. to say the fact that it isn't there is a reason to pickup and android tab is laughable.. BBM isn't on android tablets either!

On to the apps.. are there some things I would like to see that aren't there? absolutely.. but I knew they weren't there when I bought the tablet.. the app catalog is online.. Make no mistake, I'm not claiming the blackberry app catalog is the most robust out there, but each app is an individual occurrence, there are apps for the playbook that are NOT available on ios or android, just as there are apps for ios and android that are not available on the playbook, granted I don't claim it's an even spread, but it comes right back down to doing your research.. if there was an app I specifically needed, obviously I would have had to get the tablet that supported that app.. but it isn't RIM's or the playbooks fault that you didn't research your apps before buying the device.
    jchavealot, Lehomer and kozmo68 like this.
    01-11-13 03:13 PM
    Use mine constantly. Myself I'm not one to need or want an app for everything under the sun. What I am disappointed with is how long it took/is taking to fix the issues that have been there forever. Hoping BB10 will be that fix.
    Agree completely. I love my Playbook, but it is an "unfinished product" and has been since day one. BB10 had better be way more polished when it's released to the Playbook RIM can afford no more missteps.
    kbz1960, Bakamushi and CairnsRock like this.
    01-11-13 03:14 PM
339 123 ...