View Poll Results: With what you have seen, are you switching to the all touch form factor?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm gonna give the all touch a try

41 38.32%
  • No, the physical qwerty keyboard is just too useful to give up!

66 61.68%
07-20-12 06:38 AM
58 123
tools
    If the all-touch comes out first, I'll have it in my hands ASAP.....but I will definitely bring it back within a month if I just can't get used to it. I got the 9850 first too and after fumbling around with it, gave it to my son and plopped out $500 for my 9930. I absolutely loved the large screen of the Torch, but just couldn't get used to the typing. The Bold 9930: This...is....one...awesome freaking phone! I really hope that the BB10 with keypad is just like my Bold with a bit more screen space if possible.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-18-12 10:12 PM
    Am I being persuaded? No was someone supposed to persuade me?

No need for all touch, for me I don't need to fix what's not broken.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-18-12 at 11:20 PM.
    amjass12 and jegs2 like this.
    07-18-12 11:18 PM
    im goin got try the new BB10 virtual keyboard, but I suspect that I will still stick with the physical kb....my PB works great for all my full touch needs
    07-19-12 01:04 AM
    It would be tough to lose the physical kb shortcuts. Once you master them, the phone is truly YOUR tool.

Just like giving up kb shortcuts in Windows, it would make bla1zing around the OS much more difficult.
    07-19-12 03:06 AM
    The pb keyboard is clearly different to the bb touch screen phones though, they feel so fake, with lag time in the touch if you know what I mean... The playbook is clearly different and maybe it's a more advanced touch technology. It's more like the iphone touch interface, ie its completely smooth with no lag, and I guess one could say feels like you have a real keyboard infront of you... Right now I'm typing in portrait mode on my PB as fast as I type on my 9900... In terms of responsiveness its the same, whereas you can't say that for the current touch bb keyboards, neither can you compare the typing to say an iphone which for a touch screen is probably the best, apart from the playbook, so with that in mind, if bb10 use this pb touch technology they have just made something we have not had before...And therefore the all touch could still be a good idea, as smooth and fast responsiveness will make typing as fast as the physical keyboard. .. That would then make all that screen real estate an attractive choice for purchase over the physical device...

Even people that opt for the physical keyboard will want to try the all touch device... Especially if it's as good as the playbook. In its responsiveness.
    07-19-12 04:05 AM
    Don't have to be convinced. Another person who has been using virtual keyboards for years.
    07-19-12 05:45 AM
    I haven't had much experience with virtual keyboards on my cell phones, since all of them that I have used have physical keyboards. I'm willing to give the touch screen thing a fair try though, but it's just sooooo hard to part with something that WORKS for me.

If it isn't broken why fix it? But I am willing to try out a virtual keyboard on a touch screen device. Only then can I truly know which would be best for me.
    07-19-12 05:49 AM
    I would definitely like a go on the full touch but would stay with the physical keyboard.
    07-19-12 06:49 AM
    Don't have to be convinced. Another person who has been using virtual keyboards for years.
    Cool!! And is this on bb or other touch devices??
    07-19-12 06:58 AM
    This willingness to TRY the all-touch might not be good news actually unless most folks adopt them. Otherwise, there will be a lot of returns and used/refurbished one available a month or two after launch.
    07-19-12 08:57 AM
    I'll probably troll the carrier stores and try out the virtual keyboard a ton, because I want the larger screen size, and so if they have managed to make the virtual keyboard comparable to the physical ones (unlikely, but hopeful), then I'll get that, otherwise I'll probably get the physical keyboard device.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-19-12 09:09 AM
    The predictive text in the BB10 demo's make me willing to give touchscreen a go when BB10 comes out.

But I've come to terms with the fact that, for me, touchscreen, as it is now, is painfully inadequate.
    07-19-12 11:13 AM
    Color me clueless in Texas - I switched to a virtual KYBD with Storm and Storm II and now my Torch 9850 because: what is there about a larger screen not to like/need/use ???

My oldest son has been with Apple since his 2e and he loves his MAC and iPHONE(x). So, recently his employer forced a Bold or what on him and he HATES it because of its physical KYBD. His biggest gripe: how to add lots and lots of numbers without hitting the ALT key each time.

Me: my biggest gripe about all virtual KYBDs on my phones and my PB: why can we not move the space bar a tad lower away from the other keys ? Doc Neutron
    There is a keyboard shortcut for numeric string and capital letters string on the Bold 9900.

Use "ALT" and the "CAPS" button (located under the letter "z") simutaneously and this will lock the upper options (numbers and symbols) on the keys. Than simply tap the same "Caps" button to turn it off.

For the string of Capital letter user the "ALT" and the "CAPS button (located under the $ button) simutaneosly and it this will lock all the keys to "CAPS". Than simply tap the same "CAPS" button to turn it off
    07-19-12 12:02 PM
    Yep, I'm going all-touch. Absolutely love my PB, and have this week bought a 9860 to get me used to using the form-factor as a main device and see me through to BB10 launch.

My usage has changed so much lately that I'm finding I demand the screen size more and more.
    07-19-12 12:22 PM
    Didn't vote. Have a 9850 would rather have a 9930 but my carrier no have. I still don't like typing on my 9850.
    jegs2 likes this.
    07-19-12 12:57 PM
    Didn't vote. Have a 9850 would rather have a 9930 but my carrier no have. I still don't like typing on my 9850.
    yh nothing really beats the physical keypad... but having said that, dont take the 9850 (or any other bb touch screen phone) as an indication of what touch typing is like... because the playbook is completely different (as you know), its on the level (i believe better) than the iphone/pad... its so smooth and responsive... the bb virtual keyboards on their phones are really not good...
    07-19-12 01:03 PM
    yh nothing really beats the physical keypad... but having said that, dont take the 9850 (or any other bb touch screen phone) as an indication of what touch typing is like... because the playbook is completely different (as you know), its on the level (i believe better) than the iphone/pad... its so smooth and responsive... the bb virtual keyboards on their phones are really not good...
    Yep and the bb10 kb is so much different.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-19-12 01:08 PM
    Cool!! And is this on bb or other touch devices??
    Basically my last half dozen phones. Iphones, an Android, a Windows and now the 9860. I did have to use a Pearl and a Curve while I waited for the 9860 but I was glad to get my screen real estate back.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-19-12 01:53 PM
    If there's any news about a slider out by spring 2013 I'll wait for that, otherwise I think I'll go for full touch by March when my upgrade is due.
    07-19-12 01:53 PM
    If there's any news about a slider out by spring 2013 I'll wait for that, otherwise I think I'll go for full touch by March when my upgrade is due.
    i had the 9800 for a year and a half and the screen size is amazing.. never used the virtual keyboard, but the os really benefited from the screen size with shortcut buttons and stuff... but its too big imo... i swapped it out for a 9900... its one or the other for me...virtual or physical (unless they find a way of seriously making a slick slider device)
    07-19-12 02:12 PM
    My 9550's surepress gives me the best of both worlds in a way, especially using opera mini for most of my browsing. I also have an ipad, and tapping on glass to type just doesn't feel right to me. I have to feel some resistance on my fingertips when I type. On the other hand if it's a wimpy keyboard then I'll go all touch, or get a 9930 when it's dirt cheap.
    07-19-12 02:23 PM
    I would have to try both to see where I am leaning, but if the touch comes out first, then that is the one I will probably buy. I suspect though, that once I am on BB10 OS, I am not going to want to go back to say, a trusty 9780(as a back up device) So, with that in mind, I will probably buy one qwerty and at least look at the qwerty, if not buy it as well.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-19-12 02:30 PM
    I will not use a device that looks like my 20 year old Game Boy.

Click to view quoted image
    07-19-12 03:55 PM
    I still carry two BB's, and for my personal, I will go all touch. I tried the Storm 1, but I go at it again for BB10.

When it comes time to get a new work BB, I will probably stick with QWERTY, unless the all touch blows me away... But the 9930 is a pretty darn good phone. So the all touch will have to be super killer typing to make the switch for my work device....
    Last edited by ericdude; 07-19-12 at 04:37 PM.
    07-19-12 04:29 PM
    I never got to try any of the touch screen devices BlackBerry has come out with yet(First was my 9900), and I consider that a qwerty one.

Maybe that factors into my decision? idk
    07-19-12 04:31 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD