View Poll Results: With what you have seen, are you switching to the all touch form factor?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm gonna give the all touch a try

41 38.32%
  • No, the physical qwerty keyboard is just too useful to give up!

66 61.68%
07-20-12 06:38 AM
58 123
tools
    With all the bb 10 previews being shown on the all touch development alpha and the fact that the playbook is so smooth, awesome and easy to use, have you been persuaded to go all touch for bb10 or will you be staying true to your rim roots and stick with the physical keyboard???? (if your gonna be getting a bb10 phone at all that is!)
    Last edited by amjass12; 07-20-12 at 02:05 PM.
    07-18-12 03:29 PM
    Yeah. I'm probably going to go with the full touch screen phone. That keyboard they made looks awesome.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-18-12 03:45 PM
    My other phone is a WP7 HTC Arrive, with a full keyboard and a good touchscreen keyboard. Suffice it to say that I'm using my Bold, not the Arrive. I'll be sticking with the hardware keyboard unless a hands on demo really blows my mind.
    sleepngbear and amjass12 like this.
    07-18-12 03:48 PM
    already switched....perhaps that needs to be an option.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-18-12 03:50 PM
    The reason I bought my 9900 was for the awesome keyboard. It's a great partner to the PlayBook. Also, with the PB, I don't need the little bit larger of a screen that the all-touch provides.
    07-18-12 03:51 PM
    The only BB10 I'll own will have a full qwerty, which Thor says will be released shortly after the touch version. I'm happy with that.
    jegs2 and amjass12 like this.
    07-18-12 03:51 PM
    Yh its a difficult one, I mean the bb is a communication device.. I use mine primarily for email and messaging so the physical keyboard is just unbeatable. But when I had the torch, all that space had its advantages. The quick icons at the bottom of messaging screens (email, sms and bbm) where useful. You could compose delete, whatever u wanted to do without pressing the options button.. All the quick buttons were just there! And I know that bb10 will be awesome and of course completely different to older op systems... But the all touch screen will probably get more out if bb 10 than the physical with limited space... One example is the word prediction on the virtual keyboard... You obviously have to implement that differently on the physical keyboard form factor...
    07-18-12 03:55 PM
    Since none of us has tried the new virtual keyboard, nor the new physical keyboards for that matter, this seems like a fairly pointless bit of speculation for now... Of course we'll all try the new virtual keyboard, but how can anyone do more than guess what they'll eventually decide?

The 9900 keyboard is great, but it's a completely different experience than the latest slider's keyboard. If the BB10 keyboard phone were anything like the latter, it would suck big-time and I'd likely be all over the touch-only model.
    07-18-12 04:04 PM
    Not me. Can't stand these virtual keyboards not even the one on my playbook, which is the best one I've found yet BTW

Thank you RIM for letting me remote the PB from my Bold keyboard
    07-18-12 04:08 PM
    Color me clueless in Texas - I switched to a virtual KYBD with Storm and Storm II and now my Torch 9850 because: what is there about a larger screen not to like/need/use ???

My oldest son has been with Apple since his 2e and he loves his MAC and iPHONE(x). So, recently his employer forced a Bold or what on him and he HATES it because of its physical KYBD. His biggest gripe: how to add lots and lots of numbers without hitting the ALT key each time.

Me: my biggest gripe about all virtual KYBDs on my phones and my PB: why can we not move the space bar a tad lower away from the other keys ? Doc Neutron
    07-18-12 04:45 PM
    Tried it already with the 9850 and didn't like it. Will wait for a physical keyboard device.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    07-18-12 04:55 PM
    His biggest gripe: how to add lots and lots of numbers without hitting the ALT key each time.

Me: my biggest gripe about all virtual KYBDs on my phones and my PB: why can we not move the space bar a tad lower away from the other keys ? Doc Neutron
    HOld the ALT key and then press the left Shift key for Numbers

I, too, would like to see a little more space for the spacebar. Or at least make Spellcheck recognize two valid words with a B or N in between...
    highos likes this.
    07-18-12 05:01 PM
    Its a tough choice because i absoulutely love my playbooks screen keyboard but equally love being able to pull up my email,calendar,or browser with the push of a single key and at the same time press that same key to speed dial a friend so its definitely tough.
    But if they relase a BB10 like this like the 9900 im sold.
    amjass12, llamax and jegs2 like this.
    07-18-12 05:09 PM
    Oh, yes, I love attempting to place the cursor with the "hit and miss" slide that blue thingie hither and yon and then some more hither, oh, wait, yon, yon, no, a bit more hither. Uh, huh. Right!

In case, the DRIPPING sarcasm has escaped attention - I want REAL KEYS or a trackpad!
    07-18-12 05:48 PM
    I love the option of using either the track pad or touch screen! I'll just have to try the full touch or go with the QWERTY BB10. The 9900 is nice but probably would be nicer with BB10.

I don't feel pressure to switch. But I know that I LOVE the one handed typing thing and that take priority over watching a movie or game... I got myself a PlayBook, got the best of both worlds!!
    07-18-12 06:10 PM
    I can't imagine ever wanting a bb with no physical keyboard. I find virtual keyboards frustrating so nope.
    jegs2 likes this.
    07-18-12 06:12 PM
    This is why I love my 9810. Portrait and landscape virtual keyboard plus the amazing BB qwerty keyboard. The keys are a little cramped but I am getting used to it. They are going to have to work hard to get this one out of my hands. I will get a new phone once BB10 comes out but I won't just toss my 9810 aside, it is just too good.
    amjass12 and kozmo68 like this.
    07-18-12 06:22 PM
    It's interesting, the physical keyboard seems to far outweigh the cons of having little space, although having said that... We don't know what the keyboard version will look like.. It could have a huge screen and maybe a smaller more condensed physical keyboard?? It just seems that the bb10 ui is all about gestures, widgets screens which we have seen,..

Ask yourself this... Imagine if 9900 had bb10 running on it... Having seen the development alpha, u think it would be just as good seeing that on the 9900 screen.. And also swiping to gesture etc... Obv the screen will be bigger I'm sure... But to me, for what bb10 is about... It seems it would be better on a nice big screen...
    07-18-12 06:22 PM
    Hmm. This is a great question. I actually pondered this a couple of days ago. And I think I might have to give the virtual keyboard a try. I like the idea of the larger screen, and I like what RIM has done in an attempt to make the virtual keyboard quicker by giving you completed words to "flick" up.

I'm still not fully committed to that decision yet though. I'd like to give that virtual keyboard a try on my PlayBook first. But, well, that's another topic all together.
    07-18-12 07:06 PM
    Since I already have a PlayBook (all touch), I'm looking forward to the BB10 with a keypad.
    jegs2 and jamesharmeling like this.
    07-18-12 07:15 PM
    I love the option of using either the track pad or touch screen! I'll just have to try the full touch or go with the QWERTY BB10. The 9900 is nice but probably would be nicer with BB10.

I don't feel pressure to switch. But I know that I LOVE the one handed typing thing and that take priority over watching a movie or game... I got myself a PlayBook, got the best of both worlds!!
    I agree with you. I don't feel the pressure to switch but I like the idea of all that screen real estate taking advantage of BB10. So I will probably switch to the all touch phone at the beginning and if I don't like it, return and exchange it for a QWERTY keyboard. I will still have my Playbook for the all touch BB10 experience once it is upgraded.
    chtang likes this.
    07-18-12 07:19 PM
    Typing on PB in portrait mode is pretty nice, I would give all-touch a try.
    07-18-12 09:06 PM
    I will not use a device that looks like my 20 year old Game Boy.

amjass12 likes this.
    07-18-12 09:26 PM
    I'll be picking up the London as soon as it's available. I like the touch keyboard on my PB, and if the London's is as good as the PB and 1/2 as bada$$ as it looks, I'll be happy.
    amjass12 likes this.
    07-18-12 10:03 PM
    I will not use a device that looks like my 20 year old Game Boy.

Click to view quoted image
    I love me some Gameboy though, lol. Now I want that skin for my 9900.
    rdkempt likes this.
    07-18-12 10:12 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD