View Poll Results: After the 2.0 update can you connect to Desktop Manager?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

86 70.49%
  • NO

31 25.41%
  • I don't use it.

5 4.10%
    How wide spread is this problem?
    Jim Horn likes this.
    04-24-12 04:38 PM
    How wide spread is this problem?
    Well, in my case, I have never been able to. To be fair, RIM spent a lot of time with me, on this, and we determined that it is an XP issue not loading the driver. World fine on my wife's W7 laptop.
    Jim Horn, copperoak and baldo like this.
    04-24-12 04:47 PM
    See attached photo
    Jim Horn likes this.
    04-24-12 04:51 PM
    Except for the wallpaper background, I though you'd copied my computer display... Yes, I know WinXP is ancient but many of us still only have access to it. Besides, it still runs great on my Dell Latitude 400 (circa 2005) with a 1.8GHz Pentium M and 1G of DRAM. Win 7 would choke on that...

I've had that laptop running Ubuntu exclusively in the past but need XP for work code. Besides, I suspect the PlayBook wouldn't know Ubuntu from bagels. Sigh.
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 04:54 PM
    @baldo, in my case I'm able to connect my PlayBook (64GB) and it is recognized by BBDM (Mac) but I am NOT able to back it up. My wife's PlayBook (also a 64GB model) connects and backs up just fine.

I have not been able to do any of the abovementioned tasks on my Windows laptop because its HDD is dying (as per SMART, which I verified by another method,) thus, at this point I'm unable to pinpoint whether or not my PlayBook's issue w/BBDM for Mac OS X can be duplicated on BBDM for Windows.
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 05:04 PM
    Desktop manager can see my Playbook but says it's os is 1.0
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 05:13 PM
    No issues here, and literally just performed a backup yesterday. PB OS is all up-to-date, as is the Desktop Manager software. Hope that everyone that's having issues are able to get them sorted. Good luck!

-George
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 05:26 PM
    I think this is where the main problem is. It keeps asking me to retry/update/cancel. UPDATE?????
    04-24-12 05:26 PM
    What version of DTM are yall using? Try downloading the 7.0.03? Beta. Works good. I havent had an issue at all with hooking up to DM or desktop manager.
    04-24-12 05:30 PM
    I think this is where the main problem is. It keeps asking me to retry/update/cancel. UPDATE?????
    i once had that problem, even tried update and it didnt work. then i tried the usb cable that came with pb, worked like a charm every time since. so as trivial as it might seem check and tripple check your cables too.
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 05:33 PM
    i once had that problem, even tried update and it didnt work. then i tried the usb cable that came with pb, worked like a charm every time since. so as trivial as it might seem check and tripple check your cables too.
    Not a usb cable issue. I have 3 and tried them all last night.
    04-24-12 05:43 PM
    You can always try Windows Task Manager, processes. While your PB is connected via USB (and on) and while Desktop Manager is open. Begin to close out all RIM related services and processes (incld DM). Then try opening DM again.
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 05:53 PM
    First, i only get that screen when my PB is turned off. I hope yours is turned on.
    I had all kinds of trouble getting mine to connect after the recent update but after i downloaded the new DM from the Beta Zone all is better.
    04-24-12 06:23 PM
    This build and the last went just fine. Win7-64.
    04-24-12 06:49 PM
    The only thing I havn't tried was updating DM to beta 7. I did and I get the same results. Frustrating.....
    04-24-12 07:04 PM
    As you can see I get the same results. BTW my 9860 connects just fine.
    04-24-12 07:19 PM
    You can always try Windows Task Manager, processes. While your PB is connected via USB (and on) and while Desktop Manager is open. Begin to close out all RIM related services and processes (incld DM). Then try opening DM again.
    Thanks for the idea but that didnt work.
    04-24-12 07:27 PM
    I also have this, DM can't seem to recognize the updated OS on the PB.

But is this an issue other than annoying with the update notice to 2.0.1.358 always there? I can do everything on DM except restore the backup that was made in 2.0 just prior to the upgrade. It can't recognize that OS, would we be expected to downgrade the OS before restoring that data? If that is the process, there should be options in DM to select the older official OS versions.
    04-24-12 07:33 PM
    I've had my PlayBook since last August and had haven't had any issues that I can recall. It's always connected and backed up just fine.

Using a Dell Inspiron with 64 bit Windows 7
    04-24-12 07:46 PM
    Well it seem that it was a big issue that OP had to start a poll to see if others had his issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post7347759
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 08:07 PM
    Update had nothing to do with mine. I have never been able to connect on any of the OS's

edit.... Forgot to add that my 3 BB phones work fine with the XP machine. PB is the only device that does not connect
    Last edited by QWKSNKE; 04-24-12 at 09:15 PM.
    04-24-12 08:18 PM
    Well it seem that it was a big issue that OP had to start a poll to see if others had his issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post7347759
    I had to get my head wrapped around this. I have been involved with Blackberries since day one. It looks like the poll is showing 1/3 of users are having problems with it.
    04-24-12 08:28 PM
    Well, in my case, I have never been able to. To be fair, RIM spent a lot of time with me, on this, and we determined that it is an XP issue not loading the driver. World fine on my wife's W7 laptop.
    I added a few grey hairs to my thinning hair line today. I was able through trial and error get the issue resolved.
    1/ deleted desktop and restarted computer
    2/ connected pb to laptop and downloaded DT7 and was prompted several times to search for drivers etc which I did in each case.
    3/ once the pb said attached to computer I downloaded DT6 from website and was prompted to add new drivers etc, which I did
    4/ SUCCESS!! It now works very well and very quick

Long process but no other fix I read on here helped at all and I was able to do without a complete wipe.... Whew
    04-24-12 08:33 PM
    I had to get my head wrapped around this. I have been involved with Blackberries since day one. It looks like the poll is showing 1/3 of users are having problems with it.
    At the time of my post its 76/24 and only 50 voters. There are a couple thousand playbook owners here. Give the poll some more time.
    I have to suspect that a percentage of the 'NO' votes are also due to things such as PC and user problems, not the Playbook or DM.
    baldo likes this.
    04-24-12 08:36 PM
    No issues here, and literally just performed a backup yesterday. PB OS is all up-to-date, as is the Desktop Manager software. Hope that everyone that's having issues are able to get them sorted. Good luck!

-George
    +1...No issues here with Desktop Manager on my desktop or my laptop. Both running XP Pro and I back up regularly my BB 9700, BB 9900, and my 64 GB PlayBook with the latest OS update.
    Last edited by Bob80220; 04-24-12 at 08:58 PM.
    04-24-12 08:54 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD