• Its good but certainly have things to inprove on

35 34.65%
  • Undecided until its official and has more content

8 7.92%
  • No I dont like it and wont use it

14 13.86%
  • Other...

19 18.81%
    I thought yesterday's free movie was a slick marketing move by rim.
    1. It got people who wouldn't have registered signed up
    2. Now that they are signed up it at least gives people who never would have gone near the movie store ( at least from my perspective ) it increases the chance that they would rent or purchase a movie under the right circumstances ( stuck at the airport,hotel etc.
    My personal thoughts are that the movie video store has a chance to be a huge positive if its done properly and I believe that they should do the following by giving people some options.
    1. Offer a monthly subscription plans with different options a flat fee stream plan where you can stream as many movies a month while letting you download 1 or 2 movies at a time for say 48 hours for otg watching a discounted purchase price if you want to buy.
    Maybe a buy or rent a set number of movies and get a purchase or rental free.
    Offer contract and non contract plans if your willing to get into a contract a nice discount on purchases.
    A referral plan kind of like direct tv's plan or somthing to that nature the more people you refer the more free movies or discounts off a monthly plan the person that you referred could get a free movie or some other types of incentives to get a monthly plan.
    I'm curios to know what others think?
    Also I would like to know how was your experience with the download their were a lot of people having problems getting to the DL.
    Was it a quick DL or did it take hours or did you not get the movie at all?
    Ill add this they should do this once a months to keep their visibility up its a real positive for them I read a lot of posts where people couldn't find the video store on their pb's
    A free month to try out the unlimited streaming service like NF gives you.
    Toodeurep, bungaboy, DC506 and 1 others like this.
    09-27-12 10:19 AM
    If rentals were 2 bucks I'd use it a lot more.
    09-27-12 10:22 AM
    It worked for me. Got me signed up with a credit card. I may never buy a movie, but maybe I will. Before this deal, there was no maybe...
    09-27-12 10:23 AM
    It worked for me. Got me signed up with a credit card. I may never buy a movie, but maybe I will. Before this deal, there was no maybe...
    so lets say they revamped their pricing system and offered a value based subscription plan not confined to just watching on the pb being able to use hdmi to watch on your tv at home would you be more likely to use or at least give it a try?
    09-27-12 10:32 AM
    well it was a complete failure for me, where's the love for the UK RIM?
    PBMOE and yorkshireman2 like this.
    09-27-12 10:36 AM
    @mrfibble
    I can't understand why they would do that I think people should light them up with calls emails and ask why!
    09-27-12 10:40 AM
    we don't have the video store - if it were there I'd definetely use it though. It would be neat if I could download a movie, play it locally without wifi then it gets deleted after 48 hours or something - would sure make those stays away from home a lot more bearable!
    esk369 and bungaboy like this.
    09-27-12 10:47 AM
    we don't have the video store - if it were there I'd definetely use it though. It would be neat if I could download a movie, play it locally without wifi then it gets deleted after 48 hours or something - would sure make those stays away from home a lot more bearable!
    Truly baffling why uk wouldn't have it I don't think the VS is setting sales records in its current format.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-27-12 10:52 AM
    Complete failure. Download failed, customer support tried to charge me $15. I am big movie buff that uses multiple services and this garuntee I would never buy a product for them. There prices are out to lunch too.
    09-27-12 10:58 AM
    It was successful in that it got me to sign up and browse the video store for the first time. It was unsuccessful in that what I saw were grossly overpriced rentals and purchases and an extremely limited and poor selection of videos and tv shows.

Where were the documentaries and foreign films? Why would anyone want to pay $3.99 to rent a Shirely Temple movie you can watch for free on Youtube? For that matter, why does Rovi (the company that provides Blackberry Viseo Store) think $3.99 is a fair price for renting a 2009 movie like Sherlock Holmes when it rents for $1.99 on Amazon.com? With today's exchange rate, Rovi's price tag is more than 100% higher!!

Unless this video store smartens up and provides a good selection at a decent price, I will never buy or rent a single video from them.
    howarmat and Rello like this.
    09-27-12 11:03 AM
    I downloaded the movie as test for the freebie and it worked. What I didn't like is that the file size is almost 2GB. That's a lot. I have another digital free version of this movie in MPG4 format and that size is just under 1GB. Yes, the BB store version is slightly better quality (especially for TV), but my own version works perfectly on my PB and on TV's smaller than 30inch. Depends on how and where you want to watch movies.
    09-27-12 11:04 AM
    Complete failure. Download failed, customer support tried to charge me $15. I am big movie buff that uses multiple services and this garuntee I would never buy a product for them. There prices are out to lunch too.
    I agree. They would have gained more potential customers if they gave this as freebie to everybody and made download seemless. THAT is how you grow customer base, NOT by short period for selective user base (US & CA). FAIL.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-27-12 11:07 AM
    I wish cloud services would allow file sizes bigger then 1GB. One could store the movie files on the cloud and download the move to watch and then delete on the PB without losing the movie for later. Would save a lot of memory on the PB.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-27-12 11:08 AM
    I think the distribution rights to different countries are dependent on the movie producer and not Rovi themselves. So this freebie is limited to Canada and USA for now.
    bungaboy and ultra07 like this.
    09-27-12 11:10 AM
    It was successful in that it got me to sign up and browse the video store for the first time. It was unsuccessful in that what I saw were grossly overpriced rentals and purchases and an extremely limited and poor selection of videos and tv shows.

Where were the documentaries and foreign films? Why would anyone want to pay $3.99 to rent a Shirely Temple movie you can watch for free on Youtube? For that matter, why does Rovi (the company that provides Blackberry Viseo Store) think $3.99 is a fair price for renting a 2009 movie like Sherlock Holmes when it rents for $1.99 on Amazon.com? With today's exchange rate, Rovi's price tag is more than 100% higher!!

Unless this video store smartens up and provides a good selection at a decent price, I will never buy or rent a single video from them.
    I have to agree with you they need to make some changes to make a viable business model with the key component being attracting new users with some value to those they wish to become customers not to be a last resort for entertainment.
    Mr Donut likes this.
    09-27-12 11:12 AM
    I wish cloud services would allow file sizes bigger then 1GB. One could store the movie files on the cloud and download the move to watch and then delete on the PB without losing the movie for later. Would save a lot of memory on the PB.
    My Dropbox can take files larger than 1GB.
    09-27-12 11:13 AM
    My Dropbox can take files larger than 1GB.
    Is this a paid or free service for larger then 1GB?
    09-27-12 11:15 AM
    Without being a 100% certain I believe box gives you 50giggties for free.
    09-27-12 11:17 AM
    Free version.
    09-27-12 11:19 AM
    Without being a 100% certain I believe box gives you 50giggties for free.
    You are correct about the 50GB. I use Box also. But a single file can't be any larger then 1GB on the free service.
    09-27-12 11:20 AM
    i think they needed to partner with a different company for this venture. Something like amazon that has lots of cloud storage available along with better pricing and streaming options. It allows for a more unified store for multiple devices and such.
    09-27-12 11:24 AM
    You are correct about the 50GB. I use Box also. But a single file can't be any larger then 1GB on the free service.
    Is there anyway to compress?
    After seeing how good the movie played and how easy it was to download, I'd use it again.
    esk369, bungaboy and ultra07 like this.
    I think this may have turned into a bit of a fiasco for RIM, from reading the forum, big issues seamed to be the complexity of getting the download (not sure I relate) and competitive pricing.

From the sounds of it, it appears that we will have a unified app/music/video store shortly, I hope it becomes more user friendly then and that should be the time to promote it strongly so maybe they jumped the gun on this.

If they can improve on these, I will give a second look, if not, no worries, lots of competition out there.
    09-27-12 11:27 AM
    @howarmat I agree wanted to give a thanx on that but my thanx button has gone mia so here it is thanx
    09-27-12 11:28 AM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD