Interesting thread.

I am no shipping expert, but does anyone even know if it is possible to cancel or pull back a FedEx shipment once it is already on the truck? I cannot imagine that it is as easy as just calling FedEx and saying "nevermind" and have them go through all the steps of blocking the delivery basically minutes before it was to have happened. Anyone know if this is possible?
    04-13-11 09:59 AM
    Interesting thread.

I am no shipping expert, but does anyone even know if it is possible to cancel or pull back a FedEx shipment once it is already on the truck? I cannot imagine that it is as easy as just calling FedEx and saying "nevermind" and have them go through all the steps of blocking the delivery basically minutes before it was to have happened. Anyone know if this is possible?
    UMM we are talking about walmart here so yeahhh...im sure They can do that...We cant.
    04-13-11 10:11 AM
    Interesting thread.

I manage a small company in San Jose, CA. That said, I handle shipping recalls and diversions from time to time.

Yes, it is entirely possible, and I have done it before. FedEx and UPS drivers have an instant messaging type system in their trucks/on their PDAs so the home facility can reroute packages, schedule early/late pickups, etc. As long as the package hasn't been delivered, they can recall it at any time.
    04-13-11 10:13 AM
    Yes only the shipper can cancel a shipment or reroute, I have done it before. As a receiver, you have no rights.
    04-13-11 10:25 AM
    Interesting thread.

Theres no knowing that the truck he saw had his delivery on it.... and as far as I know the delivery drivers have pretty much real time communication with the depot, I am sure that handheld device you have to sign when they deliver will be used to scan the barcode on the package to confirm the details are correct... when he does that it would have more than likely come up with a do not deliver message and not allowed the driver to go into delivery mode to collect the signature... well at least thats what a sensible system would be designed like, who knows with FedEx.... In fact, thinking about it, I wouldnt be suprised if that handheld device is the real time communications with the depot, and it is used also to plan and communicate the drivers route to him, including real time changes such as late pickups and aborted deliveries....
    04-13-11 10:26 AM
    this is INSANE! haha. i want mine now!

oh well...i suppose a little longer to wait after this long isn't so bad, right?

sigh...
    04-13-11 10:31 AM
    Well i'm just gonna stick with my in-store pick up on April 19th. if it's NOT there on April 19th, watch FoxNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News for a story called "deranged customer arrested for driving car through the front of a local best buy"
    04-13-11 10:31 AM
    Like the OP, I was very close, damn you wal-mart!!!! Below is my tracking for your entertainment.
    Ouch! So close...
    04-13-11 10:49 AM
    Like the OP, I was very close, damn you wal-mart!!!! Below is my tracking for your entertainment.
    [img]http://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/f222/84694d1302694993-yes-getting-my-playbook-12th-****youwalmart.png[/img]
    Damn! RIM intervention! firmdot got stopped, eric got stopped, I guess we can confirm early shipping from WalMart is a no go.
    04-13-11 10:54 AM
    I have an order pending with another retailer - you better believe I'm not saying which one - and it is tracking for delivery tomorrow, the 14th.
    04-13-11 11:33 AM
    I have an order pending with another retailer - you better believe I'm not saying which one - and it is tracking for delivery tomorrow, the 14th.
    Best of luck! If your order follows thru which I hope it does, while you make your unboxing video, can you play Du Hast in the background

Edit: I thought i'd share a pic of my pre-playbook set up, this is what i'll be using for a tablet until the 19th.
    Last edited by ericlc2; 04-13-11 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add pic
    04-13-11 11:53 AM
    Here we go again !

Looking forward to your updates
    04-13-11 12:02 PM
    i got an email "Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, we've had to cancel the item(s) listed below due to limited availability." this is the order from this morn.
    04-13-11 12:50 PM
    i got an email "Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, we've had to cancel the item(s) listed below due to limited availability." this is the order from this morn.
    Boo that sucks. time to order from somewhere else. Trying to get sneak in and getting an "early" shipment isnt going to happen anyways from any retailers. The ETA of tomorrow is complete BS anyways. Since the OP has posted up the email he got stating that it wont be available until the 19th anyways
    04-13-11 12:54 PM
    Here we go again !

Looking forward to your updates
    Expect none until/unless I actually have it in my hands. I'm not an *****.
    04-13-11 12:59 PM
    I placed my preorder through Office Depot on the 9th (64GB) as I am expecting a baby soon and don't want to run to the store to fill my desire. I actually picked Office Depot so I wasn't supporting WalMart or Best Buy. They had free same day shipping that sealed the deal for me, even if it's a day or two beyond launch I'm okay with that.

So canceling the order because you can't get it before release date is a pretty good reason in my book, and even more satisfying that you're taking a nick at WalMart. Heh, they still have to pay someone to call FedEx and I doubt they'll be getting their shipping costs back.

Only reason I can see RIM staying to that release date so strictly is that the software update we will have to do upon receiving it won't be ready until then.
    Good theory but Walmart is highly automated, they don't need to call Fed Ex. they have massive databases to work it all out. Likewise, they pretty much own Fed Ex and UPS and dictate terms so no worries for them on the shipping cost either. Lastly, they want a buzz about the April 19th date and don't want to anger us loyal followers by letting someone get it early. Sorry to say but ALL of this is right out of Steve Job's playbook (sorry for the pun too!!)
    04-13-11 02:28 PM
    Well it look likes at least 1 slipped through. Thread posted "Got Our Playbook" with pic posted, and unfortunate issue of not functioning until release date (Stuck on Blackberry ID Agreement screen). Looks like we'd still be bitc*ing even if we did get ours early!!!
    04-13-11 03:24 PM
417 ... 151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD