Posted two hours ago as of the time I posted this; Best Buy gets it Feb 16, Feb 17 official launch date @ $700

http://www.slashgear.com/motorola-xoom-hits-best-buy-feb-17-for-700-24127850/

This is via engadget. The rumor was $800 but now we see $700. Perhaps last minute decision, perhaps been that all along who knows. $800 was a dealbreaker for many; is a $100 drop enough? Not for me but just curious what says you guys...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 06:30 AM
    Posted two hours ago as of the time I posted this; Best Buy gets it Feb 16, Feb 17 official launch date @ $700

Motorola XOOM hits Best Buy Feb 17 for $700 - SlashGear

This is via engadget. The rumor was $800 but now we see $700. Perhaps last minute decision, perhaps been that all along who knows. $800 was a dealbreaker for many; is a $100 drop enough? Not for me but just curious what says you guys...

I don't see Any leaked documentation to give a price, currently the ONLY leaked information is what verizon has leaked out.
    01-24-11 07:08 AM
    Best Buy $700 (actually does not state the price, just availability)

Motorola Xoom launching February 17th at Best Buy (update: priced at $700) -- Engadget
    Last edited by q649; 01-24-11 at 07:54 AM. Reason: pricing info edit.
    01-24-11 07:53 AM
    I think that's too much. You can buy a pretty decent laptop for close to that price. I paid $800 for my Toshiba Satellite L505.
    01-24-11 07:56 AM
    It's a little bit better and more in line with the iPad 32GB 3G version.
    What will the price of the PlayBook be? Has anyone heard any solid rumors other than below $500? If so I bet that's the Wifi version and the 3G will probably be around $600 or so.

Also I need a Netflix App. I know they said there will be one but if it's going to be next year then that's no good:|

Back to the Xoom. I'm waiting till iPad2 & PlayBook are out also to really compare and decide.

Out the door for the Xoom I'd be looking at over $800.
    $700 Xoom
    $70 Tax
    $30 activation fee
    $25-30 I guess for 1st month data
    $? misc cellular fees
    actually the tax would be a few dollars more

ETA:
    I do wish the Xoom offered a 16GB version with a lower price point to make it more competitive.
    The one thing is does have going for it is the ability to add 4G later.
    Last edited by Daps; 01-24-11 at 08:14 AM.
    01-24-11 08:11 AM
    Best Buy $700 (actually does not state the price, just availability)

Motorola Xoom launching February 17th at Best Buy (update: priced at $700) -- Engadget
    a "tipster" vs a photographed document, right now $799 is still the only "real" information, I can't see Motorola making verizon sign a MAP and Best Buy Not.
    01-24-11 08:13 AM
    It's a little bit better and more in line with the iPad 32GB 3G version.
    What will the price of the PlayBook be? Has anyone heard any solid rumors other than below $500? If so I bet that's the Wifi version and the 3G will probably be around $600 or so.
    3G enabled PBs should be less than the WiFi because the carriers will subsidize them for the contract.

01-24-11 08:18 AM
    I won't buy a tablet on contract. At the end of the day you're paying more for the tablet.
    01-24-11 08:49 AM
    I'd only pay cash for one, not a prorated amount. And that seems too high. Mabye if it had lifetime 3G bundled or something, but that seems unlikely.
    01-24-11 08:59 AM
    If it is really out in Feb I will have to give it a serious look, but I'm set against paying for a 3G radio since I will not be getting a new data plan, and if I cannot tether my phone to it for 3G surfing when I need it then it is out of the question, unless the Playbook gets delayed to September and/or really sucks.

$700 for the base model seems incredibly expensive.
    01-24-11 09:32 AM
    Not a chance at $700. Wouldn't even think twice about it.
    01-24-11 09:37 AM
    I won't buy a tablet on contract. At the end of the day you're paying more for the tablet.
    Yea...that's a keen observation.

In the end I can see the PB being about as much on the top end of the spectrum...3 sizes could land it on the close to 800 scale...but 700 flat out the door for the xoom is a bit much...

wasn't gonna buy it anyway
    01-24-11 09:54 AM
    IMHO, a similar spec'd iDevice and/or Blackberry device should always be more expensive than a similar spec'd Android device. Why? Because both Apple and RIM have to pay in house developers to develop the entire OS on the devices, where a manufacturer putting out an Android device at most has to develop their custom UI because Google is doing all the OS development and not charging the manufacturers. Motorola is basically deploying a Honeycomb reference design and just had to work on the Motoblur part. Google did the OS for them.

That being said, I also expect and iDevice or RIM device to work much better than an Android device because they are in complete control over the entire package. Not saying this is or isn't the case in reality, just saying that this is what I expect when paying a premium to be totally in an ecosystem.
    01-24-11 10:55 AM

Motorola XOOM hits Best Buy Feb 17 for $700 - SlashGear

the base price of a tablet really shouldn't be more than a desktop or laptop computer. that's ridiculous
    01-24-11 10:55 AM
    the base price of a tablet really shouldn't be more than a desktop or laptop computer. that's ridiculous
    My Torch Cost more than the laptop I purchased my niece for Christmas,

and More than the Desktop I purchased for my father
    01-24-11 11:36 AM
    If I am going to pay over $700 for a tablet like device it better be a tablet PC like those found from Motion Computer and the like.
    01-24-11 12:15 PM
    My Torch Cost more than the laptop I purchased my niece for Christmas,

and More than the Desktop I purchased for my father
    were they bought on black friday hahaha was the torch unsubsidized? i hope so otherwise those computers wont make it long haha
    01-24-11 12:17 PM
    700 is more than i think most want to pay but its reasonable with what the ipad pricing is. the key to look at to me is this went from video only at CES to release in like 40 days. This is the new pace of things in the mobile world. Granted we havent seen the full results of this product yet but moto and google in general release a fantastic product. I dont see RIM beating this device to the store shelves so it is going to start behind the ball a little. They just have to pick up development speed. they announced the PB like 5 months ago and still are looking at another 1 month before release probably. i just dont get it
    01-24-11 12:22 PM
    were they bought on black friday hahaha was the torch unsubsidized? i hope so otherwise those computers wont make it long haha
    We don't have Black Friday here in Canada,
    and yes the torch was unSubsidized.

finding a Sub $500 Computer is not a major challenge if you buy on Needs,
    01-24-11 12:35 PM
    700 is more than i think most want to pay but its reasonable with what the ipad pricing is. the key to look at to me is this went from video only at CES to release in like 40 days. This is the new pace of things in the mobile world. Granted we havent seen the full results of this product yet but moto and google in general release a fantastic product. I dont see RIM beating this device to the store shelves so it is going to start behind the ball a little. They just have to pick up development speed. they announced the PB like 5 months ago and still are looking at another 1 month before release probably. i just dont get it

Honeycombe has been in development since before Gingerbread was released, so the OS has had a LOT of development time, QNX for the Playbook is a first version and they are ramping up pretty quickly to integrate it into an existing frame work.
    THAT SAID if QNX4BB doesn't see at the very least yearly updates like iOS I would be very upset with RIM.

Motorola only has to build the hardware, I bet that is the fast part, especially the bigger you make it, which could be why they went 10" first and will offer a scaled down version later as they can have more time to miniaturize
    01-24-11 12:39 PM
    good point, they didnt have to show their hand with honeycomb until they want too. They probably had it almost ready to go earlier this month
    01-24-11 12:43 PM
    [QUOTE=Daps;5983417]
    /QUOTE]

Why would you need to be locked in to an additional contract for 3G when you can tether your Playbook to your Blackberry? I really want a playbook but not with another contract!
    01-24-11 12:54 PM
    [QUOTE=rbayford;5984295]
    Why would you need to be locked in to an additional contract for 3G when you can tether your Playbook to your Blackberry? I really want a playbook but not with another contract!
    01-24-11 12:55 PM
    good point, they didnt have to show their hand with honeycomb until they want too. They probably had it almost ready to go earlier this month
    I really wish I could find the Chat that showed Eclair to Froyo development on the official Android site, showing concurrent development, and then the break off for new tree's
    01-24-11 12:58 PM
    We don't have Black Friday here in Canada,
    and yes the torch was unSubsidized.

finding a Sub $500 Computer is not a major challenge if you buy on Needs,
    Actually Black Friday is gaining momentum up here.

Last year it was only laptop depot and a few others, but this year it may be much more.
    01-24-11 01:00 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD