Short and sweet:

owned a xoom returned it. Screen IS washed out, colors are not sharp like the ipad or playbook. The os is ok, but gmail crashed alot and the browser did to. The xoom is unfinished and flash was ok at best though I know flash "should" get better, the flash on the playbook is solid NOW. I couldn't even go to youtube site and change the resolution etc, some flash players wouldn't respond like that. Plus there was alot of lag in the android 3.0 os, don't know why. I tried the sites the xoom failed on, on the playbook demo and it rocked them, hard. The playbook is smaller, but the cpu is better, and screen is better, the speakers are better and the whole os is better. Flash just works. I hope android 3.0 does well when/if google updates it, but the playbook smokes the xoom. I have no regrets returning he xoom and getting the playbook. NONE. The playbook is a better tablet, more polished even with RIM fixing things and you feel the polish when using it. I don't' have any thoughts of hitting a site on the playbook, they render perfectly and the colors and detail pop with great flash. Can't wait for more os improvements and more apps.
    See! Now here is a guy who gets it!
    He has an opinion and is respectful when presenting it!

BTW, aside from the browser crashing, I do agree with everything you pointed out.

Thanks.
    04-23-11 11:43 PM
    So what other questions do we have?
    04-23-11 11:44 PM
    What site crashed it? I have had some browser issues. Once, just once, the top swipe down menu didn't appear and sometimes the cursor in places like here to type messages wont' show up till the keyboard goes away. Not a full crash yet, but minor bugs that make you go "well crap".
    04-23-11 11:45 PM
    The cursor not appearing onthe playbook was a problem in build 1690 but isn't anymore. Also playbook text areas are sometimes slow to respond and although i can type on a non laggy keyboard sometimes the text box lags. Is the xoom the same?
    04-23-11 11:54 PM
    What site crashed it? I have had some browser issues. Once, just once, the top swipe down menu didn't appear and sometimes the cursor in places like here to type messages wont' show up till the keyboard goes away. Not a full crash yet, but minor bugs that make you go "well crap".
    Oh, apologies, I meant that I agreed w everything you said except the browser crashing.
    I have not experienced that yet.

The xoom will lag from time to time when typing but it's off and on. I noticed that the PB would not show any typing on occasion but if you closed the kbd and reopened, the text would magically appear.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    04-24-11 12:06 AM
    the major concern for me not to consider xoom, is because its a shortcut product for a shortcuts OS. android honeycomb will be merged by chrome os, so there could something changed between two dev teams.
    04-24-11 01:16 AM
    what hardware is missing from the xoom?
    Its missing the 4g radio and the micro sd card slotis just for show.
    04-24-11 01:23 AM
    I've got a question:

What do you think about the ease of use and overall usability of both oses. I'll admit I didn't give the Xoom much time in the store when I was playing around with it but i could not for the life of me figure out how to switch between apps short of going to home and clicking on the app icon again.

Also, what about the lag - it seemed to me that the Xooms that I've used have been laggy at the home screen for no reason. Do you experience this?

These were probably the main reasons I passed on the Xoom - the Android build on it reminded me of old school window mobile - powerful, but laggy and unweildy.
    04-24-11 01:56 AM
    not trying to get "which one is better", but my question to you is... since you're having all these issues, have you tried exchanging your PlayBook?

i thought about the xoom, but i already have an atrix, so i have my android fix there and will be getting a PlayBook
    04-24-11 02:05 AM
    1. The wifi is very flaky and drops in and out (yes, i'm close enough to my router)

2. I cannot connect to my comcast email accounts unless I submit twice (I get an error, then it asks if I would like to retry, then connects). This is through the browser.

3. The power button sticks

4. Who can read a book or even a thread in portrait view?? Really?? Maybe if you scroll left to right.

5. My battery life NEVER got above 85%!!!! Yea yea yea, some say battery calibration.....should I spend $750 on a tablet with 6 apps, no native email, daily updates and still have to contend with "battery calibration"?

6. The browser is glitchy and does not allow me to select certain fields. Then loads, loads, reloads and reloads again.

7. There is suppose to be a touch sensitive frame around the screen but I have yet to see it.

8. There is no way to view netflix (personal gripe for me) not even through the browser.

9. When I watch a video full screen, there is a white line at the far right edge of the screen, like a bleed over from the circuitry or something. It's not cracked or anything like that, it just comes and goes.

10. Every once in a while, the same line is at the top but in blue.

11. There is NO tab button on the keyboard!!!! Really??
    I didn't have any of these issues really... I mean netflix and hulu but that is up to them to make those services available on the tablet.

Great tablet you are completely wrong about it.
    04-24-11 04:06 AM
    Hey robert, can you explain the need for a tab button on a fully touch screen device? Cant you just click the field you are wanting to tab to? The only place where I can see a real need for tab is in word processing apps and Docs to Go has a tab button.

Another question, since you were looking at both a Xoom and a PB is size of the tablet having an impact on your decision?
    04-24-11 04:51 AM
    WOW, you thought the Xoom had faults!? It does, but what do you think about the PB? Certainly no swiss watch......
    i'll tell you what i didn't like about the xoom

- hate that the power/wake button is on the back of the device...makes no sense b/c most of the time you are using a tablet on a desk laying flat on it's back..so when the screen turned off on the xoom the only way to wake it is by lifting up the device to turn it back on..STUPID STUPID DESIGN PLACEMENT

- speakers are on the back of the device...so is always sounds muffled..another stupid stupid design placement

- colours look washed out compared to ipad and playbook(have both)

- in portrait mode i found that the keyboard lagged when typing

- flash websites don't run as smooth as it does on playbook...hated that the sites i went on still defaulted to mobile version.

- hated the weight of the device..too heavy even compared to the ipad..

let me tell you, i love android...but was just very disappointed in honeycomb
    04-24-11 06:36 AM
    i thought zoom was laggy...
    04-24-11 06:51 AM
    Firstly, the critics get paid to "criticize" and I won't go into what their motives and biases are but suffice it to say, there are few people who can objectively review something.
    I read many reviews about all of the up and coming tabs and I really wanted the Xoom but held off because I wanted the PB. I despise apple and all the conformists that follow them and their products so that is why I don't have an ipad.

I now own a PB and after 24hrs, I went out and purchased a Xoom. I am waaaaay disappointed in RIM. I have been a blackberry fan/enthusiast for years but I really feel that this is rushed and could very well hurt their sales.
    I fully plan on returning my PB on Monday.

I am a business owner and wanted this as a Business tool as well as for entertainment but in it's present state, it satisfies NONE of these needs.

1. The wifi is very flaky and drops in and out (yes, i'm close enough to my router)

2. I cannot connect to my comcast email accounts unless I submit twice (I get an error, then it asks if I would like to retry, then connects). This is through the browser.

3. The power button sticks

4. Who can read a book or even a thread in portrait view?? Really?? Maybe if you scroll left to right.

5. My battery life NEVER got above 85%!!!! Yea yea yea, some say battery calibration.....should I spend $750 on a tablet with 6 apps, no native email, daily updates and still have to contend with "battery calibration"?

6. The browser is glitchy and does not allow me to select certain fields. Then loads, loads, reloads and reloads again.

7. There is suppose to be a touch sensitive frame around the screen but I have yet to see it.

8. There is no way to view netflix (personal gripe for me) not even through the browser.

9. When I watch a video full screen, there is a white line at the far right edge of the screen, like a bleed over from the circuitry or something. It's not cracked or anything like that, it just comes and goes.

10. Every once in a while, the same line is at the top but in blue.

11. There is NO tab button on the keyboard!!!! Really??

These are all of MY gripes but I am sure there are a fair number of people who have some of the same issues and are hiding behind the excuse that SOMEDAY this will be a great tablet.
    I'm sure someday it will, but until then, I bought a Xoom (now with flash, a netflix app on the way and a TAB button on the keyboard) for $200 less.

Everyone can complain all they want about the xoom being inferior but honestly, right now in the Playbooks present form is the PB really better? Really?

Sorry, I respect all on this forum and don't dare try to tell you what to do, these are just my opinions and findings.

Much respect.
    ithout APPS?[/QUOTE]

I just want to point out that Netflix has inked a deal for Qualcomm only Android devices that will have the drm specific needs built into the soc. The Xoom is using the nvidia tegra2 (which the ti omap 4430 outperforms by a huge margin), and will more than likely not get Netflix. Sorry.
    04-24-11 06:58 AM
    Its missing the 4g radio and the micro sd card slotis just for show.
    I do believe there is a hack to make the msd card slot functional. Those droid people are pretty crafty.
    As far as the 4g, I got the wifi version so its a non issue for me even though it may very well be a legitimate concern.
    04-24-11 10:48 AM
    I've got a question:

What do you think about the ease of use and overall usability of both oses. I'll admit I didn't give the Xoom much time in the store when I was playing around with it but i could not for the life of me figure out how to switch between apps short of going to home and clicking on the app icon again.

Also, what about the lag - it seemed to me that the Xooms that I've used have been laggy at the home screen for no reason. Do you experience this?

These were probably the main reasons I passed on the Xoom - the Android build on it reminded me of old school window mobile - powerful, but laggy and unweildy.
    The android os just felt more natural. Almost like bridging the gap between PC and PB.
    As far as lag, there is some in the browser on the xoom when typing but its only once in a while. My PB has it too but the difference is that the text does not always appear when typing on the PB.
    04-24-11 10:58 AM
    Hey robert, can you explain the need for a tab button on a fully touch screen device? Cant you just click the field you are wanting to tab to? The only place where I can see a real need for tab is in word processing apps and Docs to Go has a tab button.

Another question, since you were looking at both a Xoom and a PB is size of the tablet having an impact on your decision?
    The tab button is merely a creature comfort for me. I belong to multiple forums and do a lot of forms for work. The tab just helps when I'm already typing.
    Additionally, the PB screen is sensitive, so sometimes it won't let me select an editable field, it just chooses what it wants and opens whatever my be nearby. A little disconcerting.

Yes the size of the screen has impacted me. I love the size and portability of the PB along w the graphics but I am going to wait until the PB is a little more refined before re-purchasing.
    misdeismo likes this.
    04-24-11 11:07 AM
    The tab button is merely a creature comfort for me. I belong to multiple forums and do a lot of forms for work. The tab just helps when I'm already typing.
    Additionally, the PB screen is sensitive, so sometimes it won't let me select an editable field, it just chooses what it wants and opens whatever my be nearby. A little disconcerting.

Yes the size of the screen has impacted me. I love the size and portability of the PB along w the graphics but I am going to wait until the PB is a little more refined before re-purchasing.

Having a tab button would be nice but i wouldn't want it to make the keyboard take up more space on the screen or make it smaller.

Can't please everyone unfortunatly :/
    04-24-11 12:16 PM
    ithout APPS?
    I just want to point out that Netflix has inked a deal for Qualcomm only Android devices that will have the drm specific needs built into the soc. The Xoom is using the nvidia tegra2 (which the ti omap 4430 outperforms by a huge margin), and will more than likely not get Netflix. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Its confirm that the Xoom is getting Netflix...

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities." -- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix

Last edited by tdawg00; 04-24-11 at 03:19 PM.
    04-24-11 03:14 PM
    Funny how easily people get their feelings hurt...........so many around the forums want to flex their virtual chests and toss around their vocabulary and put others down.
    This is a forum for the public. I say something and you debate it .........or don't.........but to get your panties in a bunch is just plain rediculous.
    This is MY opinion, and judging by the constant complaints/issues on this forum about the PB, some individuals must have their hands full with sticking up for the PB as if they created it.
    It's for this reason I have decided to stop responding to this thread, it started out as a comparison looking for legit questions and I got tired of reading about people trying to stick up for the PB like I was trying to disrespect a family member.

Thanks to all who took the thread for what it was for and thanks to Tdawg00 for the netflix heads up!!!!!!!!!!
    04-24-11 10:12 PM
    Well, you know RIM's fans will defend their products to the death. Have to be careful criticizing the playbook, buddy.
    04-25-11 06:31 AM
    Right only android and apple fans are unbiased.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 06:37 AM
    I just want to point out that Netflix has inked a deal for Qualcomm only Android devices that will have the drm specific needs built into the soc. The Xoom is using the nvidia tegra2 (which the ti omap 4430 outperforms by a huge margin), and will more than likely not get Netflix. Sorry.

Its confirm that the Xoom is getting Netflix...

"Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We're working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra's outstanding acceleration and security capabilities." -- Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix

[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I completely missed that. Thanks. I know a lot of people that are going to be happy about this. Do you have a link to the announcement?
    04-25-11 07:06 AM
    WOW, you thought the Xoom had faults!? It does, but what do you think about the PB? Certainly no swiss watch......
    Certainly no swiss watch - the funniest moment on these boards - thanks
    04-25-11 07:12 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD