What Would A BlackBerry Playbook Owner Do?

Here's my story: I'm a PC computer/Apple gadget guy that thinks the BB Playbook is darn near perfect hardware (minus the SD/Micro slot being missing, but no huge deal...). At any rate, with all of the recent reductions in price, and my refusal to pay $500 for an iPad I continue to believe is just too big to be lugging around (besides, I have an iPhone already, no need for a giant one), I jumped and bought a NEW 16GB from an eBay buy.com blowout for only $169.99.

It arrived quickly, but after opening the box it appeared the stickers on the inner box had been tampered with, and after opening further, it became apparent the box had ben opened before (the plastic BB puts on the screen had been removed and placed with the documents). Still, I can live with that (given the deal I got) except for:

6-7 stuck (not dead) pixels, and a few (tough to describe) rows of what look like light screen abrasions (maybe 1mm by 5mm) near the top and left side of the LCD. It's probably why this unit was thrown back in the pile after being opened. It's ONLY noticeable if you are looking for it (my wife couldn't tell), but I have killer vision and of course now that I've seen the defects they stick out. I've tried the "pixel fixers" with expected results (none).

Decided to try and RMA with buy.com, but they are OUT of 16GB Playbooks, and wouldn't do much besides offer a refund (which is great, but to replace it it will cost me another $30 minimum (plus maybe tax if it's not online).

So here's the question: Do I just keep it? I have 45 days to return it, and I actually am quite impressed with everything ELSE about it (for what it is and what I paid, there is no better... period).

Tim
    03-23-12 05:36 PM
    I would get your money back and get one that's not messed up. A bad screen will certainly detract from the experience of any electronic device with a display. Your eyes will be constantly drawn to these defects. I'd say $30 is worth it for one that won't bother you at all.
    03-23-12 05:48 PM
    You could try the pixel video or whatever it was on here made to try and unstick stuck pixels.
    03-23-12 05:58 PM
    I would return it. $30 is more than worth it to noth have any defects with it.
    03-23-12 06:03 PM
    I do have about 30 days to decide... I just wish that these pixel programs WORKED =).

Such a shame. I could probably live with 1 or 2, but I think I may have to just bite the bullet and return it. Fortunately, doing this has made me research what else is out there, and I truly believe that as far as the smaller tablets go, this is the one to get (even for $100 more), so it makes spending the extra $30 a little easier.

Tim
    03-23-12 06:09 PM
    There is 'Screen Helper Lite' in app world which could be worth a try to fix the pixels. One review says to run for 4 or 5 minutes a time and repeat a few times.
    03-23-12 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD