10-09-12 07:33 PM
89 123 ...
tools
    I just bought my PB brand new last night. Came home put it on the charger, updated the os messed around with it a little then went to bed. Get up this morning and it wouldnt turn on. Plugged in the charger and it showed the dead battery symbol. Now theres just a blinking green light and it still wont turn on even when plugged into the charger. Did i get a bad unit? This doesnt bode well for my faith in Berry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-08-12 07:55 AM
    leave it plugged in for a couple hours and see if it comes back to life. sadly this is a common "bug" that many experience. it has to charge for a while before it will turn back on
    10-08-12 08:03 AM
    Are you serious? It showed a full charge last night before I turned it off and put it away. Should I take it back and ask for another unit? Or will that one do the same? Frustration level rising!

10-08-12 08:06 AM
    It came on but how is the battery dead? I pulled the charger off so I could take it to work and its still showing the charging symbol? Like its still connected to the charger. Something tells me to take this thing back and stick with my ipad.

10-08-12 08:25 AM
    Stay cool, man. I have three PB and never got the same problem. Suggest you re-boot it a few times. if anomaly persists, return it for a new one. You won't regret this purchase at such firesale price.

My wife has returned her iphone for replacement too. Just refused to charge or switch on one day. Electronics are electronics.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    jweihrauch and Hgouck like this.
    10-08-12 08:53 AM
    Ok. How do I reboot it?

10-08-12 08:57 AM
    Tap on the battery symbol and select Restart.

For some reason, the Playbook should be restarted at least twice after an OS update.
    10-08-12 09:04 AM
    Are you using the charger that came with the PlayBook?
    10-08-12 09:09 AM
    I would just take it back to the store for an exchange. Not worth figuring out 31 days down the road that you have a faulty unit.
    kbz1960 and Mr Donut like this.
    10-08-12 09:09 AM
    Tap on the battery symbol and select Restart.

For some reason, the Playbook should be restarted at least twice after an OS update.
    ok thanks

10-08-12 09:12 AM
    I wasnt using the OEM charger at first. Just a generic cell phone charger. I opened the OEM later. I hope i dont have to return it for another.

10-08-12 09:14 AM
    I wasnt using the OEM charger at first. Just a generic cell phone charger. I opened the OEM later. I hope i dont have to return it for another.

`

Standard phone chargers are typically less than 0.5 amp, the playbook charger is 1.8 amp or 2.0 amp for the magnetic charger. Background processes were probably consuming more than your charger could keep up with.
    Chaddface, DC506, Hgouck and 1 others like this.
    10-08-12 09:17 AM
    Ok that makes sense. I have it plugged into the OEM charger now. Battery percent meter shows O% despite the charging symbol being shown.

10-08-12 09:20 AM

This is the problem.
    10-08-12 09:21 AM
    Not using the OEM? How did it discharge overnight? I plugged in the OEM for an hour yesterday.

10-08-12 09:22 AM
    reboot the device if the charger symbol is still showing
    10-08-12 09:26 AM
    Assuming the device is booted
    Plug the playbook into the charger.
    Specifically the charger not a usb cable attached to a pc.
    You should see the lightning bolt in the battery icon that indicates that the unit is charging.
    WTH is wrong with my PB!-charging.jpg

Click on the battery icon and then click on the restart button
    WTH is wrong with my PB!-reboot.jpg

You should not see the lightning bolt when the unit is disconnected from the charger.
    Could be that the usb connector is damaged.
    I would wait if necessary until the battery was showing less than 100% charge so that I could leave in on the charger for an hour or to see if the charge increased.
    This would verify that the unit is actually getting power from the usb charger before you restart it.

Good luck!
    10-08-12 09:29 AM
    I have restarted it 3 times this morning. Is there another to reboot it besides tapping restart? Doesnt seem like its taking a charge.

Attached Thumbnails WTH is wrong with my PB!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    edthebudman likes this.
    10-08-12 09:31 AM
    My PlayBook takes more than one hour to charge, even on the OEM charger.

Since it is a brand new unit, consider a device wipe. If even after that the issue persists, have the unit replaced.

To save on battery overnight, enable airplane mode, shouldn't use more than 3% power in 8 hours.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-08-12 09:32 AM
    Ok. Im going to let it charge for an hour to see if it gets of the O%. If not I will wipe it and try again. Didnt expect issues like this with a brand new device.

10-08-12 09:35 AM
    Mark, if the battery was really drained it may take a while to get off 0 percent. There could be a few reasons for it to drain overnight. Native email set to manual sync was a problem for some in the past. I don't know if the bug is still here. My wife's PB drained fast the other night. I heard the chime and noticed the hdmi connected symbol was still up. A restart fixed it. I would give it another shot. If it happens again return it. If you plan on staying with the PlayBook, there is an app called Battery Guru that gives a good visual(graph) of the battery drain.
    10-08-12 09:37 AM
    I wouldn't recommend a wipe with a drained battery. The PlayBook will want to update after the wipe and it won't with a battery level under 20%.
    Hgouck and Branta like this.
    10-08-12 09:41 AM
    I turned it off and let it sit for a minute. Turned it back on and plugged in the charger. Its now taking a charge. Should I still keep it or return it for another unit?

10-08-12 09:47 AM
    Your Playbook is probably ok. I suspect there was something running from the OS update that drained your battery.
    The update reboots the Playbook but several people have found that there are problems until the Playbook is rebooted a second or even third time.

From the Newbie Tips and Tricks post at the top of the forum:

RESETS

A soft reset is accomplished by holding down the power button for ten seconds then releasing.

If this doesn't work a "hard" reset (similar to battery pull) is accomplished by holding down the power, and both + and - volume buttons for over ten seconds then release. Hold the power first, then the two volume buttons do be sure you don't do a screen capture instead. (two volume buttons only cause a screen capture - but only if not bridged to the phone)
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-08-12 09:50 AM

Not using the PlayBook charger was the problem. When a charger is plugged into a PlayBook, the PlayBook boots into basic run level without the GUI in order to control the battery charging. Your generic charger could not provide enough current to both run the PlayBook and charge the battery, so the battery depleted.

If the battery is discharged to the point the PlayBook will not start, I think RIM suggests it takes at least two hours to get it back to a safe level to boot.

In regards to batteries and charging, I would suggest Battery Guru as your first App purchase. It will tell you if the PlayBook is charging and at what rate it is charging.

Another note on generic chargers is that a lot of them are designed for Apple devices and even if they have the current rating, they will not charge a PlayBook or an OS7 phone without a special charge only cable that has a connection on the data line to signal it can provide more than 500ma.
    hpjrt and Hgouck like this.
    10-08-12 09:51 AM
89 123 ...