Gotcha. Its up to 15% now. I turned it off then back on and it began taking a charge. I still cant understand how it discharged while it was off.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-08-12 09:03 AM
    Another good investment would be a Playbook rapid charger (3-pin magnetic connector). Easier charging and less wear and tear on the mini USB port.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-08-12 09:07 AM
    Gotcha. Its up to 15% now. I turned it off then back on and it began taking a charge. I still cant understand how it discharged while it was off.

Was the PB "OFF" or in "standby"? I've had my playbook drain out numerous times while in standby mode over an afternoon.
    10-08-12 09:08 AM
    Honestly, I think I turned it off. I may have hit standby but I swear I tapped off.

10-08-12 09:11 AM
    Yeah, all sorts of issues when PB gets to 0%. I am so paranoid that I always charge ~30% left. Also, I have noticed that even though I get the lightnin bolt on the battery icon, it may not be charging (at least with the rapid charger), so I wait around to see it increase 1%. Just things you learn from experience. And yes, use the PB charger or invest in the rapid charger (magnetic coupling) if you want to save wear and tear on the microUSB. Also note that the microUSB is a little different in that it doesn't have noticeable angled edges that you can judge orientation by. So with the PB USB charger a good way is to keep the BB logo up when inserting. I would say like mentioned before, your email was polling or you had WIFI on or something drawing power, and your generic charger couldn't keep up. Best as mentioned in another post, is to charge to 100% and place in airplane mode. You shouldn't lose very much overnight.

Edit: You turned it off??? It takes forever 2-3 min to come up from that. Most ppl leave in Stand-by.
    10-08-12 09:17 AM
    I think I turned it off. Or it just never got enough charge. After I upgraded I didnt reboot a few times. Just started playing with it like a kid on Christmas. Wifi and bluetooth on so I could use the Bridge etc. I hope its working fine now. Btw where do i snag a magnetic charger? Ebay or Amazon?

10-08-12 09:30 AM
    I still cant understand how it discharged while it was off.

That's what you should monitor. Your BlackBerry phone charger should still charge slowly in standby or off. A normally functioning PlayBook should not drain from 100-0 overnight. After the full charge, unplug and monitor the discharge rate during the day. It's likely to be an isolated incident but keep an eye on it. Some apps and YouTube left open while in standby can cause excessive drain from my experience.
    10-08-12 09:30 AM
    Yeah, either place. You should be able to get one for $20-30. They retail for around $70, I think.
    10-08-12 09:34 AM
    I think it was something to do with updating the OS.... a friend of mine had the same issue. took the pb off the charger in the morning and by the evening it was at zero.
    10-08-12 09:37 AM
    Im up to 47 percent charged. When can I use the Bridge functions? Wait till 100%?

diegonei likes this.
    10-08-12 09:53 AM
    Im up to 47 percent charged. When can I use the Bridge functions? Wait till 100%?

You can use the PB now. It may slow the charge rate down a bit though. Another benefit of the rapid charger is the ability to use the PB while keeping the same charge rate.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-08-12 10:04 AM
    I had the same thing happen with the wifes pb. She put it on the charger but it never charged. If you are charging from zero, the pb is designed to trickle charge up until it hits a certain level, then it will charge faster.
    10-08-12 10:17 AM
    What happened was, when you thought you shut it down, the screen went dark---but it didn't shut down completely. It went into an infinite "shutdown loop", which happens rarely, usually only after an update. Then you hooked the wrong charger to it, which didn't provide enough current, so the battery was eventually depleted.

The shutdown loop is a software thing, so no need to return your PlayBook. There are two ways to tell if your PlayBook has gone into a shutdown loop: After waiting a couple of minutes, 1. Briefly press the - and + volume buttons at the same time. If it makes the "camera shutter" sound, it is looping. 2. Look at the screen in a darkened room with no charger connected. If it is glowing dimly, it is looping. In either case, the simple fix is to press AND HOLD the power button (the real button) for ten seconds.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-08-12 10:31 AM
    What happened was, when you thought you shut it down, the screen went dark---but it didn't shut down completely. It went into an infinite "shutdown loop", which happens rarely, usually only after an update. Then you hooked the wrong charger to it, which didn't provide enough current, so the battery was eventually depleted.

The shutdown loop is a software thing, so no need to return your PlayBook. There are two ways to tell if your PlayBook has gone into a shutdown loop: After waiting a couple of minutes, 1. Briefly press the - and + volume buttons at the same time. If it makes the "camera shutter" sound, it is looping. 2. Look at the screen in a darkened room with no charger connected. If it is glowing dimly, it is looping. In either case, the simple fix is to press AND HOLD the power button (the real button) for ten seconds.
    Awesome. Thanks that may have been what happened!

10-08-12 10:43 AM
    I think I turned it off. Or it just never got enough charge. After I upgraded I didnt reboot a few times. Just started playing with it like a kid on Christmas. Wifi and bluetooth on so I could use the Bridge etc. I hope its working fine now. Btw where do i snag a magnetic charger? Ebay or Amazon?

Quick Google search found on on sale for $17.24 at Buy.com. Here is the link:

Buy.com - BlackBerry Rapid Charging Cradle - Tablet PC - Charging Capability

Prices on the internet are all over the place for this. Don't pay a lot. Prices have come way down since I bought mine a year ago.
    10-08-12 10:59 AM
    You could have started with the PlayBook original charger. The PlayBook is a bigger device and it requires more power than a cellphone.

You can get the rapid travel charger at Walmart, they seem to have the cheapest price. That charger is the best for your PlayBook.

Don't fret if the PlayBook runs out of battery, it will shutdown itself into a safe battery state waiting for its next charge.

Enjoy your PlayBook.
    10-08-12 11:00 AM
    I'm typing this on my charged Playbook!
    diegonei, Hgouck and BerryClever like this.
    10-08-12 12:09 PM
    I'm typing this on my charged Playbook!
    Congratulations and Welcome to Crackberry
    10-08-12 12:32 PM
    Congratulations and Welcome to Crackberry
    I have a Bold 9900 so the PB is icing on my crackcake. Im excited to use all the features. How do I project things like pics and videos on a tv screen? Do i need a certain cable?

10-08-12 12:41 PM
    You will need a Micro Hdmi to Standard Hdmi cable. I've seen them on Amazon for $10 - $15. Maybe more if you want a longer cable. I bought a 15' one, don't remember where.
    10-08-12 12:56 PM
    HDMI to Micro HDMI. 6' should be good enough.

There are plenty of those for less than 5 bucks in amazon and ebay.

Just wait till you hook your PB to your TV, and use the 9900 as a remote.
    10-08-12 12:58 PM
    do a hard start and then when it comes around it may need to hard start several times. it may be confused
    10-08-12 12:59 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=kKz4oQ7j is a good and cheap online resource for cables. Dealt with them a couple times with no issues. Make sure you buy MICRO HDMI to HDMI, not mini HDMI to HDMI.
    10-08-12 12:59 PM
    10-08-12 01:04 PM
    Just wait till you hook your PB to your TV, and use the 9900 as a remote.
    Agreed... This is one of the biggest reasons why I love my PB/9900 combo.
    10-08-12 01:07 PM
89 1234