I know this has been touched on in some other threads, but I'm so happy to finally see some real praise for our beloved tablet. Sure all the reviews are about what we all knew, native email etc should have been baked in the OS from launch, but as I said, finally it looks like our little powerhouse tablet, is growing up.

- Here's a link to TechCrunch's review of RIM at CES 2012 (One of their 5 'winners' of the event) - Even BGR praised the PlayBook.

2012 is definatly RIM's to shine. I just hope the 'aggressive' marketing we have been promised can be maintained after the new OS update in February, so the PlayBook can shine through the rumoured launch of the iPad 3 in March.

Update: Live Link

http://www.techcrunch.com/2012/01/15...s-of-ces-2012/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by iBenRowe; 01-17-12 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Update: Live Links
    01-16-12 03:00 AM
    I really can't wait for 2.0, it looks awesome.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-16-12 03:12 AM
    Excited about the update to come. Any word on a bluetooth keyboard by blackberry & when available?
    01-16-12 05:53 AM
    Excited about the update to come. Any word on a bluetooth keyboard by blackberry & when available?
    I heard feb, I have a bluetooth keyboard and case all in one deal. Got it on amazon $40 works good.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-16-12 07:49 AM
    Well apart from the hardware of the ipad3. i believe they mentioned that the software or UI is still going to be the same. Apart from havng Siri on it. So compare that to the Playbook OS 2.0 coming up and I will say "Go you little David (playbook) show Goliath(ipad3) who is the master! I mean after a year since this playbook hardware was launched, it still runs smoother and better to the point that a whole new OS2 will not require a hardware update or a new hardware for it. I for one don't want to walk around with an oversize iphone..lol... with a software called Siri that will make Einstien turrn in is grave thinking that we have become a generation of dumb baffoons, who can't realise that it is raining outside yet we need to ask a Siri whether do we need an umbrella? lol. Anyway well done RIM at CES. We right behind you in 2012.
    Mr Rtic and Dapper37 like this.
    01-16-12 09:04 AM
    Seriously, RIM deserves the credit they're getting for coming up with hardware that still eclipses what is now the third generarion of android tablets. And did you notice how many 7 inch tablets they've got coming out? That alone is a validation of the playbook.

Bottom line: for a device that's been on the market nearly a year, the OS2 update has to be exceptional for the playbook to get this much press at CES.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-16-12 09:29 AM
    I'm likewise enthusiastic, glad to see the positive reviews from sources that are traditionally negative. Its all going to be very welcome in the playbook community. Okay now don't let's us down and delay it. Ha this year you even have one additional day in february to get it out and still say you kept your feb release promise!
    01-16-12 09:30 AM
    it is very important for rim to release the update on time for the momentum to continue to build. failure to meet the promised the release date will upset and disappoint many people. i for one think that rim has learned to not mess with people's expectations. excited for 2012!
    01-16-12 10:10 AM
    Can someone please tell me if there will be a possibly to synch the BB contacts and calendar with Google Sync? I use Google for all my contact and calendar needs, and synch my work and personal life with it, and if I could add the Playbook to this then that would really float my boat.
    01-16-12 10:15 AM
    Here's part of the article regarding RIM (for those who don't want to click on the link):

Winners:

RIM

I must admit I wasn’t expecting much from RIM, and I guess in the end they didn’t have that much to offer: a hands-on with the PlayBook 2.0 update. But I’m really glad we stopped by, and I think RIM showed that they are still a force to be reckoned with in some respects. The PlayBook, whipping boy of the tech blogs, is made far more complete by the addition of the email, contacts, and calendar features. If they had released this, and perhaps at a slightly lower price than they were selling it for at launch, I think the tech world would have been genuinely enthusiastic. In our interview with them, I wasn’t just buttering them up when I said I would certainly recommend the PlayBook over an iOS or Android device for the purposes of day-to-day productivity, enterprise, and so on. The PlayBook, I said, was a breach birth, its non-critical consumer-facing functions emerging foremost, and its essential business and productivity functions delayed dangerously. Now that they’ve been delivered (so to speak), I can safely say the PlayBook is a far better tablet than it was, and that Google and Apple should take a look at some of their clever and powerful gesture and UI work.
    Lhendr and Mr Rtic like this.
    01-16-12 10:21 AM
    it is very important for rim to release the update on time for the momentum to continue to build. failure to meet the promised the release date will upset and disappoint many people. i for one think that rim has learned to not mess with people's expectations. excited for 2012!
    This is a very important point. RIM sucks at marketing and releasing products. It's a downfall to get consumers excited about something new and then make them wait. Waiting decreases excitement. OS2.0 has great new features but how long have they been working on it's development outside of when the first news of it hit the internet? How long since the 2.0beta hit the internet? Now they are saying "FEB 2012". IMO, they seem to be headed for failure once again. (I hope my gut feeling is wrong).

If it's released on time RIM will still need to do a ton of new marketing campaigns to bring the Playbook back to life. I feel that with the initial Playbook release they mainly focused on Blackberry users. A better plan might have been to focus on everyone. Have good features that did not required a BB smartphone as well as extra features that did require one. The extra features may have also enticed some consumers to purchase a new Blackberry phone.

I guess time will tell how well the Playbook does with OS2.0
    01-16-12 11:00 AM
    I have 70 days until my upgrade. I was pretty sure I was going to go with an Iphone after two years with my 9650. But after seeing these videos on OS2, I am really thinking of sticking with Blackberry for my smartphone. Just too much cool stuff you can do with a Playbook and a Blackberry.
    Now if RIMM can get their heads out of their hind ends and develop an intense marketing campaign, they will sell Playbooks AND Blackberry phones. And get some people into the Best Buys, Verizon stores, Spirnt stores, ATT stores, and let these resellers know what the Blackberry can do.
    As one person said, "When I have an Iphone, they ask me how many apps I have. When I have a Blackberry, they ask me what it can do."
    01-16-12 11:14 AM
    A few more weeks. We could start a countdown pretty soon.
    01-16-12 11:32 AM
    A few more weeks. We could start a countdown pretty soon.
    To Heck with that, lets start the clock!
    XPWizard and CDM76 like this.
    01-16-12 12:31 PM
    wow, THIS IS A GREAT REVIEW:

The PlayBook, whipping boy of the tech blogs, is made far more complete by the addition of the email, contacts, and calendar features. If they had released this, and perhaps at a slightly lower price than they were selling it for at launch, I think the tech world would have been genuinely enthusiastic. In our interview with them, I wasn�t just buttering them up when I said I would certainly recommend the PlayBook over an iOS or Android device for the purposes of day-to-day productivity, enterprise, and so on.
    01-16-12 01:44 PM
    playbook pwns, always did
    01-17-12 12:43 AM
    I thought we are to use our BBs?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-12 12:47 AM
    Now what RIM needs to do is release ahead of schedule with all the features they've been showing off. THAT would really throw the whole tech world off and put some serious positive light on them.
    01-17-12 01:13 AM
    Well apart from the hardware of the ipad3. i believe they mentioned that the software or UI is still going to be the same. Apart from havng Siri on it. So compare that to the Playbook OS 2.0 coming up and I will say "Go you little David (playbook) show Goliath(ipad3) who is the master! I mean after a year since this playbook hardware was launched, it still runs smoother and better to the point that a whole new OS2 will not require a hardware update or a new hardware for it. I for one don't want to walk around with an oversize iphone..lol... with a software called Siri that will make Einstien turrn in is grave thinking that we have become a generation of dumb baffoons, who can't realise that it is raining outside yet we need to ask a Siri whether do we need an umbrella? lol. Anyway well done RIM at CES. We right behind you in 2012.
    Yeah, you are right about IOS, there is nothing more than just Apps but I dont know why people are still so carzy about it? Paying more than double just to have App library? Even though most of frequently used Apps are available on Blackberry too along with more secure and reliable hardware.
    01-17-12 02:57 AM
    Does any one know that video chat is still works only on Playbook to Playbook on OS2.0 or are there some more plateforms???????
    01-17-12 03:01 AM
    Does any one know that video chat is still works only on Playbook to Playbook on OS2.0 or are there some more plateforms???????
    Not sure, but I hope Skype do bring out a version for Playbook!
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-17-12 03:38 AM
    I doubt it will. Otherwise this would have been a big part of the announcement.

Btw, it's not only Playbook to Playbook but any BB device to any BB device AFAIK.
    01-17-12 03:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD