01-07-12 04:24 PM
127 ... 3456
tools
    I have to say that the Staples here in Lindsay has superb clerks and always seems to know its stuff.

When I was first looking at the Playbook back in November, when the sale came on, I was given full info on the playbook and its many capabilities. No-one tried to steer me to any other tablet and never said that it was being discontinued. Did tell me they were out of 16 gb models and weren't sure if they would have more in before Xmas.

I have always found their staff to be well versed on any product I have looked at. I have even had them tell me a lower priced model of something is actually better than the one I was thinking of purchasing.

For those reasons, I always go there to buy. Returning anything is never a problem, and the staff seems to last as well.

Maybe its because I'm in a small town.
    01-01-12 10:33 AM
    I can't believe when I was told by both, at store sales and on-line sales associates at Best Buy that they discontinued the Play Book. Well, I got my Play Book for Christmas no thanks to Best Buy. I love my Play Book!
    01-01-12 10:51 AM
    I have to argue the point of being under powered compared to other tablets. I think it pretty damn good compared to others especially when comparing at the 200 price point

Here are all the tablets I got for christmas from family not talking to each other.

1. 32 gig HP Touch pad 150
    2. Asus Transformer ( original not prime ) Best buy black friday sale under 200
    3. Kindle Fire 199
    4. 16 gig Playbook 199

I also own, ipad 8gig 3g/wifi and the ipad2 16 gig wifi

Basically now I have tablet for almost ever day of the week. My company gives me two cells Business iphone 4s / Emergency Oncall is a 8320 curve (gsm) and my personal phone is the the Nexus S . I am a die hard android person . I have to say the playbook is the nicest out of all of them and the QNX based OS is snappy and responsive it runs rings around the other tablets on the web. Hence I am a heavy droid user I use gmail and perfectly happy using gmail in the webbrowser.

I think it wierd that google has not come out native gmail/google apps for the playbook like they have for blackberry products in the past. But they probably have but have not bee seen do to RIM not wanted to be out bested by google. I figure out of of all of them playbook has the best speakers one of the nicest screens and best platform of multitasking.
    01-01-12 10:53 AM
    Best Buy employees do not work on a commission. Besides, it is not like they are a different breed of people or something... They are no different from us and I'm sure there's a few people or more who have similar opinions on RIM's future as posted here...
    They don't work on commission but they are told which products to push based on profit margin.
    01-01-12 05:02 PM
    Thanks for this post. Some of the conspiracy theories on this board are amazing to hear. Other reasons why Best Buy is not pushing PBs could be:

1) They genuinely believe that the PB is a dead end product. No point using up valuable floor space building a product which you can't even sell in a year. Considering that the Playbook seems to be following the HP Touchpad script almost perfectly, this is not a far out assumption (in fact, believing the Playbook will be around a year from now after having experienced many rounds of loss making fire sales requires a far greater leap of faith).

2) Accessories attach rates. There just aren't as many accessories for the Playbook as for the iPad, for example. Best Buy makes most of its money by selling accessories, and if a Playbook customer buys less accessories, then it's definitely not in Best Buy's interest to push it.

3) Features. Reality is that the playbook is highly underpowered compared to other tablets without having a blackberry to bridge it to. The majority of customers who enter a Best Buy are unlikely to have a Blackberry, so for the vast majority of the cases selling a customer a playbook is a bad idea. So Best Buy decides to completely ignore the small minority of cases when it is a good idea.
    Do you even own a PB because it doesn't sound like it?
    omniusovermind likes this.
    01-01-12 05:27 PM
    They don't work on commission but they are told which products to push based on profit margin.
    OK, Please fill in the scenario for me. BB buys a bunch of PBs. They tell their employees not to sell it but to bash it so that no one will want it. What happened between the time they bought them and the time that torpedoed them?
    01-01-12 06:56 PM

2) Accessories attach rates. There just aren't as many accessories for the Playbook as for the iPad, for example. Best Buy makes most of its money by selling accessories, and if a Playbook customer buys less accessories, then it's definitely not in Best Buy's interest to push it.

What amazes me is that apparently if you put an "i" in front of the name of any item, it warrants it own aisle in accessories. Total crap.
    01-01-12 07:19 PM
    the accessory pricing is way out of whack. $70 for the cradle or rapid charger? $40 for the usb charger?

i was ready to buy the cradle or the rapid charger, but not at those prices. if they want to make sales the pricing has to be a bit more realistic.

when i got the cradle for my archos 4 series media player it cost $100. but it had a remote control, multiple a/v connections, and usb as well as charging. better value.
    01-01-12 07:36 PM
    So your response to blackberry going out of business was," well yours is TOO!"

Doesn't make either of those situations better. Suprisingly, The "I know you are but what am I" argument has lost credibility with investors.
    I actually liked that answer. Sometimes you just have to get on their level, no matter how low it is.
    01-01-12 08:19 PM
    What amazes me is that apparently if you put an "i" in front of the name of any item, it warrants it own aisle in accessories. Total crap.
    You realize that every item in a retail setting is in that particular location because the company paid for placement, right?
    01-01-12 08:23 PM
    Still waiting for an answer to post #106.
    01-01-12 08:26 PM
    Well, the irony is that apple used to be the little guy fighting for every little inch, now they've become the bully!!
    Same thing happened to me, my wife went to get me one for my birthday & was told by all the big boxes, we don't have em, they're being discont'd, going out of business, etc. Same as eveyone else.
    The bigger question is, why is this happening everywhere? There's got to be some legitimate reason. Something is fishy up in Canada. If you make a product for sale, you're damn well gonna make sure you try to move them all & keep them moving for as long as possible. Why aren't the big boxes carrying them anymore?!? That's the real question !!
    01-01-12 09:05 PM
    Maybe stock is getting low, maybe RIM wants to spread the good will around to places like India, Germany others I hope. and maybe just maybe PlayBook 2 will be out at the same time as OS2.1
    Last edited by Dapper37; 01-01-12 at 09:14 PM.
    01-01-12 09:11 PM
    That's a fair chance. New launch with new software AND hardware.
    01-01-12 09:14 PM
    That's a fair chance. New launch with new software AND hardware.
    Not unless there's another delay. To introduce new hardware in February would require secrecy unheard of in the tech world. No leaks, no pics? I'm skeptical enough of them releasing OS 2 on time, let alone PB 2.
    01-01-12 09:35 PM
    I also had a bad experience with "Best" Buy trying get the PB yesterday. I ended up having to go to a Sprint corporate store to get it this morning. Definitely not going back to a "Best" Buy ever again and i have to make a laptop and DSLR lens purchase in the next week. oh well
    01-01-12 10:18 PM
    I had the craziest Best Buy experience last night so I had to share. I purchase my 6 year old an iPod Touch for Christmas. I went through all the reasons he should have this vs. the Nintendo DS. He can facetime with his aunts and cousins, he can text me and his Dad, All his educational games, fun games, movies, and music can be added. I don't have to buy a new system that isn't gonna play his old games in a year, etc.

Well all was great until he realized most of his friends had a DS. They all, of course wanted his iPod Touch, but that didn't matter much to him since he's a kid. So I go to Best Buy because in the end it's his choice and I tell them I want to swap it out. This guy ran through a list of reasons why I would be crazy to return this iPod. FORTY MINUTES of him telling me

This is the newest technology
    Didn't you say you had other Apple products in your home
    You'll ruin his eyes with these games systems
    My brother had handheld games all his life and now he wears glasses
    My sister's the same age and her DS has dust on it
    It will grow with him
    Trading it in would be a downgrade
    You can download all the same games for cheaper (Not true as there is no Mario Kart or Super Mario Bros. for the iPod)
    Just keep it and think about it a little more since you still have 2 weeks to return it

This went on and on and on to the point that me, an extremely educated buyer who weighs all my options, actually walked out with the iPod second guessing my decision. I picked my son up from school and the first thing he said was "Did my DS come in?" All I could do was laugh.

I'm an Apple fan, my son would love to have both, but a 6yr old doesn't need two $200 devices to play on. All that being said, I'm so tempted to call a manager at Best Buy and explain how completely unprofessional that was. May be slightly off topic, but even as some one who doesn't have a problem with Apple, what happened last night and what happened when I went to look at Playbooks makes me think it's not a company thing, but an employee preference thing.
    Last edited by pri79269; 01-04-12 at 09:15 AM.
    01-04-12 09:13 AM
    Sounds like he convinced you not to return an non-defective item you were returning. From another perspective, that's Mission Accomplished!
    01-04-12 01:15 PM
    Unreal! I bought mine from bestbuy aswell and the guy was like " we only sell 2 of those a month, but we sell 250 android tabs a month. sure yu dont want one of them?" i responded nicely, " if i wanted an android tablet i would have asked for one, and im pretty sure i would have gone elsewhere" needless to say i got my playbook. and i love it.
    01-04-12 01:53 PM
    Sounds like he convinced you not to return an non-defective item you were returning. From another perspective, that's Mission Accomplished!
    Very true!

On the other hand, I spoke with a manager today just to provide feedback and she was not happy. She explained that they are trained to sell what works for the customer, not what works for them. She said they didn't lose any money on me returning the iPod because Apple still pays them for it so it doesn't benefit them if I keep something I don't need. They don't hold any loyalty to any particular brand and having customers leave unhappy just means that they've lost future sales. She was very receptive and asked that when I return to the store today and in the future, that I look for her and provide feedback on my future experiences.

Made me feel much better.
    01-04-12 01:54 PM
    Good to hear a happy ending...!
    01-04-12 01:58 PM
    Okay, I don't work at a big box store like Best Buy but I DO work at RadioShack. The reason a lot of people are saying its discontinued or that Blackberry is going out of business is because they are all assuming this! Whenever you work retail and a device's price is cut drastically you assume it is a clearance item AKA never to be produced or restocked again. There is no underground word from RIM to retailers telling them that they are done with the PB. In my region all Radioshacks are totally sold out and there are none in the warehouse to order. Last I checked one store had a shipment of 15 going to them but the rest were empty. We had to print a sign out apologizing for us being out of stock on the PB. I gladly put that one out knowing I had got our very last one.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-04-12 02:48 PM
    Very true!

On the other hand, I spoke with a manager today just to provide feedback and she was not happy. She explained that they are trained to sell what works for the customer, not what works for them. She said they didn't lose any money on me returning the iPod because Apple still pays them for it so it doesn't benefit them if I keep something I don't need. They don't hold any loyalty to any particular brand and having customers leave unhappy just means that they've lost future sales. She was very receptive and asked that when I return to the store today and in the future, that I look for her and provide feedback on my future experiences.

Made me feel much better.
    That was good of her. I don't like what the sales guy did to you at all. If you decide you don't want it, it doesn't hurt to ask why buy to waste 40 mins of someones time to talk them out of returning it is wrong.

When i was doing sales inhad a women come in wanting a mp3 player. She didn't want a ipod which was fine with me. I show her some mp3.players and then she asked me why should get an ipod. First of all I didn't say she should because it didn't fit her needs or budget. I think a lot of people were saying she needed one. So i explained whats it had and what reasons some people do buy them. She said well i don't care about any of those features so your not doing a good job selling it to me. I said I'm not trying to sell it to you because it doesn't fit your needs.

I don't see the point in selling someone something they don't want.

James
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-04-12 10:38 PM
    People still shop in stores for electronics? Interesting... I ordered our 2 from Walmart.com and got them in 4 days a month ago. Lucky, I guess.
    Yup. People still shop in store. My wife was out shopping and i got her to stop by Walmart on the way home and pick up a Playbook for me. I got it the same day.

Funny thing is, they had the regular price tag on it and didn't seem to care from the sound of it.

James
    01-04-12 10:50 PM
    I also had a similar experience at Best Buy Lie store. When I asked whether or not the display was for sale I wasalso informed that they werent making them any longer and I should look at other devices if I wanted a tablet. Not to be denied, I went to the ShopBB site and ordered mine! @cgull ... May your Mom's recovery be quick! good luck!
    01-04-12 10:52 PM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD