View Poll Results: Would you still recommend a playbook to your family or friends?

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

114 65.14%
  • No

61 34.86%
    With black friday approaching - I thought it might be fun to do a retake of this poll, which was launched shortly after the big devcon disappointment ( a little bias?) ....since so many speak of buying another for ...family or friends....

I am wondering if sentiment has changed now that the emotions have settled, and the Crackberry population has had a turnover.

This will be fun, eh? (just said the "eh" part for my Canadian friends

Current result of other poll:

Taken
    10-26-2011, 07:19 AM

View Poll Results: Would you still recommend a Playbook to your family or friends?
    YES 147 46.52%
    NO 169 53.48%
    Voters: 316. You have already voted on this poll

and yes, playbook/RIM haters, I am trying to discredit one of your favorite tools.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-18-11 at 02:22 PM.
    11-18-11 01:37 PM
    If the person has an OS7 Blackberry phone, then possibly. Would not recommend if they did not have an OS7 device in its current state. I took back one that I got for $299 that was going to be a gift after DevCon and the February announcement, but $199 may just be too good to pass up as my wife and two of my son's have OS7 phones. I'm encouraged by some of the games coming out that dev shops are putting out stuff for the platform. I have calmed down from the February news (an e-mail response to a blunt e-mail of what I thought about the February announcement from Alec Saunders showed me that at least the newer people at RIM care), but RIM has made me skeptical on believing that they will hit even that month or that OS2 will be great. Clearly the device isn't worth retail in its current state, but hopefully OS2 will increase the value some over the $199, $299, $399 price they are slashing them too.
    Last edited by lnichols; 11-18-11 at 01:53 PM.
    Chaddface likes this.
    11-18-11 01:51 PM
    Yes without a doubt.
    11-18-11 02:18 PM
    only if the person has a bb phone. otherwise, the playbook is just an expensive web browser. and yes, $200 is still expensive for a browser.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-18-11 02:28 PM
    The price now has so much to do with it. People are buying it regardless of no native email. Definitely a yes simply on price point. Other tablets give you more for more money but NO other tablet gives you this much for this price. Def BEST bang for your buck right now.
    11-18-11 02:28 PM
    I voted no, because I want to be the center of attention
    11-18-11 02:34 PM
    Of course I'd recommend it. It's a fantastic device for not only the web browser, but media and gaming. A slew of new games have come to the platform with many more to come soon. Add in the impeding OS updating coming in a few months and you're getting an amazing device for a rock-bottom price. Just downloaded Dead Space! Simply amazing!

And no, you don't need a BB to use the PB. I almost never bridge my BB to my PB and it works just great.
    11-18-11 02:36 PM
    i voted no, but i must admit...its hard to say. Because of the rumors that the price will be dropped to $199 (for limited time), im tempted to say the Playbook is a steal for that price, but i just dont believe there is enough functionality at the moment. February cont come soon enough to me...and thats assuming RIM even makes that deadline.
    11-18-11 03:24 PM
    depends on their needs.....PB has more features over the fire but the fire has more software support for sure.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    11-18-11 05:37 PM
    I have very few friends that have personal Blackberry's. Almost everyone carries one for work (gov't), but they all by Apple iPhone or Android products.
    11-18-11 05:44 PM
    Need 217 more votes please!
    11-18-11 10:38 PM
    Voted yes before and definitely yes again. IMO for 199 preOS2 pricepoint there is no tablet comparison. Everyone in my circle wants a tablet to have at the minimum: f+r camera, surfs the web with flash, ez to carry, great battery and play their music. They understand its only a portable tablet and prefer to use their pc/laptops for gamer intensive facebook games or korean soap operas on the bigger screen.
    11-18-11 11:12 PM
    Everyone in my circle wants a tablet to have at the minimum: f+r camera, surfs the web with flash, ez to carry, great battery and play their music. They understand its only a portable tablet and prefer to use their pc/laptops for gamer intensive facebook games or korean soap operas on the bigger screen.
    you may want to suggest galaxy tab 7.0 plus to them. does everything you listed. except the tab's black friday price is unknown yet. besides, it does much more than the pb currently does (e.g. email, skype) and has much better developer support.

or better wait for the tab 7.7, which will blow the playbook out of the water in almost all aspects (except, maybe, the price and the os, but the latter is subjective anyway).

edit: of course, if your friends have bb phones, then the $200 price point for the playbook is unbeatable.
    Last edited by adamman; 11-18-11 at 11:29 PM.
    11-18-11 11:22 PM
    only if the person has a bb phone. otherwise, the playbook is just an expensive web browser. and yes, $200 is still expensive for a browser.
    Good point - if it were accurate...seems to me it does other things without a BB phone, I don't know I just heard that somewhere.

you may want to suggest galaxy tab 7.0 plus to them. does everything you listed. except the tab's black friday price is unknown yet. besides, it does much more than the pb currently does (e.g. email, skype) and has much better developer support.

or better wait for the tab 7.7, which will blow the playbook out of the water in almost all aspects (except, maybe, the price and the os, but the latter is subjective anyway).

edit: of course, if your friends have bb phones, then the $200 price point for the playbook is unbeatable.
    Or.. he could suggest a playbook Why do you like to be such a killjoy in here amongst a majority who enjoy their playbooks? Now please don't take that as an insult, I think it is more of an accurate description. You're bumming everyone's high man.

They understand its only a portable tablet and prefer to use their pc/laptops for gamer intensive facebook games or korean soap operas on the bigger screen.
    But do they understand it has an hdmi out for the big screen experience?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-19-11 at 01:22 AM.
    11-19-11 01:14 AM
    Good point - if it were accurate...seems to me it does other things without a BB phone, I don't know I just heard that somewhere.
    yes, you heard it right. the playbook does other things that other tablets also do

Or.. he could suggest a playbook Why do you like to be such a killjoy in here amongst a majority who enjoy their playbooks? Now please don't take that as an insult, I think it is more of an accurate description. You're bumming everyone's high man.
    lol. sorry, with all due respect, i wouldn't take anything you say as an insult
    Last edited by adamman; 11-19-11 at 01:48 AM.
    11-19-11 01:44 AM
    Oh, so folks can't vote and comment without point/counterpoint?

The pb is definitely not for everyone and not even for those who own a bb phone.

The current selling price is without question better than the price at launch or the general prices last week. But it could still be a poor investment for some people.

OS2 might* make it better when it comes, if it comes.

* still really don't know what is will contain or how it will perform.
    11-19-11 10:01 AM
    For $199 its a no brainer. I bought one yesterday and so did about 20 of my friends. Bring on the updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 10:29 AM
    PB is great, id recommend it to everyone. It does everything i need it to with ease. Even if this device was never updated again id still be happy with it.

Its been weeks since i used my pc or laptop, the pb as virtually replaced them which i never expected to happen. Well worth the �250 i paid
    11-19-11 11:01 AM
    For $199 its a no brainer. I bought one yesterday and so did about 20 of my friends. Bring on the updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hopefully, with more users, Rim will stop disappointing folks and actually carry through with the updates. Or even more pitch forks and flames will be converging on some small Canadian town!
    11-19-11 11:32 AM
    This is it.
    11-19-11 11:44 AM
    Wow I had no idea that an expensive browser or any browser can do everything the playbook can. Learn something new every day.

Now where do I find one of these self contained browsers that do everything a playbook can?
    AggreX and RetroAndreas like this.
    11-19-11 12:05 PM
    I would, without a doubt. I've been using my playbook like crazy during my classes lately for PDF notes the professors post online. You cannot beat a $200 tablet that can carry all your notes around in a small convienient size, and still play games and internet videos like a champ.

At $200, its a no brainer.
    AggreX and RetroAndreas like this.
    11-19-11 12:05 PM
    Wow I had no idea that an expensive browser or any browser can do everything the playbook can. Learn something new every day.

Now where do I find one of these self contained browsers that do everything a playbook can?
    get another tablet. root/jailbreak it. uninstall/freeze system email, calendar, IM, autocorrect, get rid of most third-party apps, and, voila, your self-contained browser with a couple other features is ready

and yes, you guessed it right. i do work for a google-apple anti-blackberry consortium like many others on this forum
    Last edited by adamman; 11-19-11 at 12:58 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-19-11 12:47 PM
    Thanks for the votes - keep em coming! 219 to go.

gawd I hate scrolling with a scroll wheel in google chrome and all the lags and freezes and crashes...
    playbook has completely spoiled me.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-19-11 01:22 PM

and yes, you guessed it right. i do work for a google-apple anti-blackberry consortium like many others on this forum
    That explains a lot - you and F2 with a playbook bash on every post....
    does it pay more than RIM is paying me to patrol these forums calling people on understating, being ignorant, (reverse) exaggerating (dezaggerating?),misleading, and downright lying about playbook?

BTW show me someone who thinks the playbook is just an expensive web browser and I will show you someone with little imagination or life to apply it to.

For (one) example - you left out the fact that it is also a very expensive 1080p stereo videocam Highly portable, with awesome video quality, awesome stereo sound, and an awesome large (for a videocam) daylight viewable high contrast high brightness display in the field

Should I go on? No I already have, i many posts. Some people choose to remain persistently ignorant. Also not an insult - ignorant simply means someone is unaware of or denies (ignores) facts.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-19-11 at 01:38 PM.
    11-19-11 01:25 PM
144 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD