View Poll Results: Would You Like a Toggle Switch on the PB to Lock/Unlock Bezels?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 67.74%
  • No

10 32.26%
    I'm sure if you've ever played a game, watched a movie, or was just doing anything on your PB there was a time when you accidentally swiped the bezel when you were handling your PB.

What if there was a "Lock Bezel" switch located on the PB, maybe near the media buttons, that would disable the use of the bezels?

Kinda like how an iPad has a switch near the volume rockers to lock the screen orientation (which can also be set up as a mute switch in settings).

That way, the user can easily toggle the switch as they want to and don't have to worry about an accidental swipe ruining the experience, and at the same time can unlock the bezels easily if they need to minimize or swipe from the top for settings.

Whadayathink?
    10-17-12 01:15 PM
    No... But I'm dying for lock/unlock bezel gestures..
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-17-12 01:16 PM
    Definitely
    10-17-12 01:23 PM
    Switch - no. But there should be some kind of gesture to lock the standard side/top/bottom swipes so you don't find yourself swiping out of games.
    10-17-12 02:49 PM
    yes so an 18 month old can play the games (drums and keyboards) instead of constantly exiting.
    10-17-12 03:07 PM
    I agree it would be a real benefit to be able to lock out the bezel swipe gestures, like we can turn the screen orientation lock on or off. I don't like the idea of another physical button but this feature could easily be added to the status bar.
    10-17-12 06:13 PM
    Would love to have bezel lock when my granddaughter is playing games. Another great bezel function would be bezel scrolling in the browser, that way people with fat thumbs like me wouldn't be opening the ads as much.
    10-17-12 06:39 PM
    No... But I'm dying for lock/unlock bezel gestures..
    Switch - no. But there should be some kind of gesture to lock the standard side/top/bottom swipes so you don't find yourself swiping out of games.
    More gestures = more confusing.

As djenkins6 said, the physical switch is great for kids.

Even as an adult, I don't want to remember a special gesture pattern to unlock the bezels. A physical switch is universal across the board.

I agree it would be a real benefit to be able to lock out the bezel swipe gestures, like we can turn the screen orientation lock on or off. I don't like the idea of another physical button but this feature could easily be added to the status bar.
    If the lock bezel feature is in the status bar, and I toggle to lock the bezels, then start a game or any app, how can I swipe out of the game/app?

You'd be locked in forever I guess...

10-17-12 07:36 PM
    Ok, so tell me. You use the switch and go into an app... How do you exit? The bezel is disabled!

Three fingers from the top to lock, three fingers from the bottom to unlock. I don't know how this can possibly be confusing...
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-17-12 08:39 PM
    Ok, so tell me. You use the switch and go into an app... How do you exit? The bezel is disabled!

Three fingers from the top to lock, three fingers from the bottom to unlock. I don't know how this can possibly be confusing...
    Lock Switch is turned off, can use bezels all you want.

You open a game.

You turn the Lock Switch on.

You want to exit the game.

You turn the Lock Switch off and bezel swipe out.

Using a special gesture pattern like 3 fingers from the top or bottom sounds simple enough for us, but I'm looking at the masses who have never even owned a tablet before. Gotta think lowest common denominator here.

A switch that turns something on or off is a lot more simpler to the general crowd than remembering gesture patterns.

I can see it now...

"Honey, why won't this PlayBook thing go back to the home screen? I'm using 2 fingers like it said!"

"No sweetie, you got to use 4 fingers and swipe from the bottom"

"That didn't work either!"

"Oh wait, you're suppose to double click or double tap or whatever from the top."

"It's NOT WORKING!"

"Okay, just hold down the power button til it turns off and then turn it back on..."

10-18-12 01:40 AM
    You can't add a physical switch to existing PBs so I'm with the gesture crowd. I'm sure we're all smart enough to figure it out i.e. 3 finger swipes or similar.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-18-12 08:16 AM
    You might not be able to add a physical switch to EXISTING PBs, but so what, put em on new ones. You also can't put 3G/4G radios into the existing PBs either...

You would *think* that people would be smart enough to remember, but the MAJORITY of people don't. And if we're talking big picture here, which is getting the PB into more hands and creating a bigger ecosystem, then we have to keep in mind the masses.

The PB has to be familiar enough, yet different, right out of the box. Gestures to switch between apps is different enough, adding more unique gestures just makes it too different or makes the learning curve longer, which means people won't use the PB. I work with dozens and dozens of different people on a daily basis regarding simple things such as using gestures, and you wouldn't believe how the majority of people can't follow or remember something simple.

Yes, *we* are smart enough to figure it out, but its not about us. We already bought/own/love using our PBs, that's why we're on CB.

Just yesterday I took this very same poll out of 20 or so parents of young children (below the age of 10) and mature crowd (50+). Most of these people are still trying to figure out an iPad. Yes, they're still after a couple months (and some a year) are still working with their learning curve on an iPad... After asking them the same question, EVERY one of them, not most of them, but EVERY one of them opted for a physical switch instead of gestures.

Why? Well here are some responses from the NORMAL crowd (not us techies on CB representing the small niche)

1. "How am I suppose to remember that?"
    2. "What if I'm holding the tablet and three of my fingers accidentally make contact on the bezels?"
    3. "My kids are going to having their hands all over that thing, they'll end up accidentally using the gesture and that defeats the purpose."
    4. "Why make things more complicated than they need to be? Just use a damn switch. If that was the case, just make the power button into a gesture, and make the volume rocker into a gesture while you're at it."

Personally, I wouldn't mind gestures; I LOVE gestures. However, it's not about me. I understand the hard fact that more PBs in more people's hands, the better this thing will become. Putting more gesture based actions on the PB would be going away from putting more PBs in the hands of the masses.
    10-18-12 12:32 PM
    You might not be able to add a physical switch to EXISTING PBs, but so what, put em on new ones. You also can't put 3G/4G radios into the existing PBs either...

You would *think* that people would be smart enough to remember, but the MAJORITY of people don't. And if we're talking big picture here, which is getting the PB into more hands and creating a bigger ecosystem, then we have to keep in mind the masses.

The PB has to be familiar enough, yet different, right out of the box. Gestures to switch between apps is different enough, adding more unique gestures just makes it too different or makes the learning curve longer, which means people won't use the PB. I work with dozens and dozens of different people on a daily basis regarding simple things such as using gestures, and you wouldn't believe how the majority of people can't follow or remember something simple.

Yes, *we* are smart enough to figure it out, but its not about us. We already bought/own/love using our PBs, that's why we're on CB.

Just yesterday I took this very same poll out of 20 or so parents of young children (below the age of 10) and mature crowd (50+). Most of these people are still trying to figure out an iPad. Yes, they're still after a couple months (and some a year) are still working with their learning curve on an iPad... After asking them the same question, EVERY one of them, not most of them, but EVERY one of them opted for a physical switch instead of gestures.

Why? Well here are some responses from the NORMAL crowd (not us techies on CB representing the small niche)

1. "How am I suppose to remember that?"
    2. "What if I'm holding the tablet and three of my fingers accidentally make contact on the bezels?"
    3. "My kids are going to having their hands all over that thing, they'll end up accidentally using the gesture and that defeats the purpose."
    4. "Why make things more complicated than they need to be? Just use a damn switch. If that was the case, just make the power button into a gesture, and make the volume rocker into a gesture while you're at it."

Personally, I wouldn't mind gestures; I LOVE gestures. However, it's not about me. I understand the hard fact that more PBs in more people's hands, the better this thing will become. Putting more gesture based actions on the PB would be going away from putting more PBs in the hands of the masses.
    10-18-12 12:33 PM
    Hardware switch awesome idea.

Never would have thought about it, but i recently installed stick tennis (awesome game btw ) and it requires swiping to play shots, sometimes i hit the bezel at the start or my swipe and im taken into "minimized mode" which causes the game to pause ( even in showcase mode ) and i lose the point. So i realized there should be a way to switch off bezel sensitivity, i do not agree with gestures to enable/disable bezels, a hardware button would be alot more convenient.

Even if the switch cant be added to current devices, its never too late to mend, we could see this switch starting from A-series or M-series and the Blackforest.

Also it would make it MUCH easier to hand it over to kids
    10-19-12 05:05 PM
    yes, what have you guys; who say no; got against buttons, buttons work! why throw out something that's good/simple/easy ?? just because something new comes along?

PS while i'm on the subject, why did the playbook not come with a keyboard case like the Microsoft Tablet, having a keyboard on a small device is kind of the Blackberrys thing is it not?
    10-19-12 10:38 PM
    my son stated he had an extra portfolio cover for my new PB. Great I thought until I found it hard to access the bezel. So may be this cover could be used when bezel avoidance is required. It's the type of case that you pull a flap open near inside fold- you then slip in your PB & close the flap behind the PB trapping it in place. This case covers the bezel making it hard to accidentally swipe it. That was the reason I turned down his offer to use it. I might now reconsider using it when bezel avoidance is required.
    10-19-12 11:50 PM
    Hardware switch awesome idea.

but i recently installed stick tennis
    Stick tennis is what I immediately thought of when I read the title. So annoying.

I stopped counting how many times an employee brought their laptop to me because they couldn't connect to the Internet Only to find that the wifi switch was off. Simple doesn't always mean foolproof.
    10-20-12 12:10 AM
    Simple doesn't always mean foolproof.
    I remember once Nokia had a hardware button to ...... Guess what ..... Turn off the touch in their full touchscreen nokia 5800 (the dark knight phone) i dont think too many people wouldve had trouble thinking y the screen isnt working.

In laptop wifi switches, not many people use that, they just turn it on and expect never to have to turn it off again, if for some reason the switch gets turned off, its easy to forget about it because last they used it was 2 months ago

Simple may not be foolproof, but its the closest we can get #goldenwords
    10-20-12 02:30 AM
    Here is the worst case scenario if a button is implemented

Button/Switch toggled - Bezels turned off
    Playing game having fun swiping away without worry
    Passed the tablet to a friend to have a go at it,
    Step outside the room
    Friend decides he wants to exit the game and do something else, but the upward swipe didnt work
    He tries again and panics
    Playbook Bezel Detection Algorithm Kicks in
    Another attempt at a bezel gesture, and PlayBook Understands The User is Trying to Exit App and Displays Message "Bezel Gestures Disabled, Use Unlock Switch to Activate" much like the lock button on bb phones disables the keypad, and then says press lock key to unlock.

But i do wonder if the top should always be active, to always enable the corner peek gesture, and the top down menu gesture.
    10-20-12 02:47 AM