I really hate to bring this up but take a moment to consider.

First off, I bought my Playbook not being a BB phone user and am fine with the way it is. See thread here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ective-634368/

I know most users of Blackberry phone devices work through BES or BIS. You pay an extra $10 or more per month on individual carrier plans with BIS, or your company has paid thousands in CapEx and continues to pay thousands in OpEx for BES.

Does EAS compatibility have RIM worried? The following devices can connect to Exchange through EAS directly through their respective native clients:

Windows Mobile
    WebOS
    iOS
    Android

In addition to EAS, most of these devices can also connect to corporate VPN tunnels.

For example, on my 2 year old WebOS phone I have calendar, contacts and email from both gmail and corporate Exchange.

There used to be a time when non-BBOS or WinMO phones needed a third party app (remember SyncML) and sometimes a third party sync server to achieve what they all do natively Today.

To give credit, EAS access is usually achieved over https and only offers mobile authorization and remote wipe, not tens of other BES mobile controls. But is that not enough for most shops?

If native PIM was released for the PB, the decision is RIM's on whether they would release one that is as capable as are other clients Today or intentionally cripple it, possibly only supporting POP3, IMAP, and SMTP for basic email but not full EAS nor LDAP (for contacts) or CalDav (for calendar).

But would they intentionally cripple it in order to keep dependance on BES/BIS? After all the upcharge for BES/BIS is a differentiator for RIM. If they release native clients on the Playbook platform that demonstrates most shops don't need BES and most individuals don't need BIS, that could spur a downward spiral in phone sales.
    08-07-11 04:32 PM
    i honestly think RIM will never support EAS. Even when the "native" apps arrive they will still be hindered without sync support like the other platforms have. I really hope im wrong but it wont surprise me.
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-07-11 04:35 PM
    That would be unfortunate but I could totally see it happening. I could also understand why there is no native client out of the gate for PB's launch. I've quickly learned that the walled garden that RIM puts up also keeps everyone happy enough for the time being, there isn't much demand to fix it, or reprice it.

I used to work for a hosting company that offered a set of services at a set price for years. The users never noticed that platform was antiquated and ignored that they could get more storage, faster servers, more reliability and more services for a much more competitive price from other providers. The bill was automatically paid every month and as long as it worked, the users were happy.

That's what I see with BES and especially BIS. RIM banks on its current customer base continuing to consume it's premium service but that won't equate to growth. Email is not complicated. End with EAS on the rise, RIM can either play or wait it out.
    08-08-11 08:12 AM
    I could see it diminishing small BES/BES Express shops for sure . During our iPad trial , the lockout of accounts from my darling users was incredibly frustrating though , so I would most probably waver on the EAS migration on my tablet devices.

EAS really struggles in low bandwidth situations as well from my experience , esp remote GPRS connections which is something I unfortunately deal with quite a bit while BES/BIS does not seem to have any of these problems.
    08-08-11 08:24 AM
    I don't think so and here is why. You will still need something like a BES to remotely manage, wipe, and act as a VPN concentration device to the corporate network from the Playbook. This device whether BES, or some new Playbook/QNX specific server, would have licenses for the devices and would still need to have capabilities for things like BBM, and their would need to be a BIS based BBM for consumer users too. So even if RIM allowed EAS support, their would still be a need for BES like functionality that EAS can not fully replace, at least not at this time.
    08-08-11 08:46 AM
    OP where do you live that you pay more for bis then anyone else pays for a data plan? As far as I know it is the same price.
    08-08-11 10:10 AM
    kbz1960
    I'm in the US and have not used a BB device since the early email only devices.

With EAS, I get access to Exchange and GAL services free. Would I be incorrect in assuming that the BIS alone would not be able to get my exchange mail, calendar and contacts and I would need data add-ons for the "remaining 3" providers.

Sprint (my current provider) it appears I would have to add $20 to an unlimited data plan:
    "Email includes Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, Windows Live Hotmail, AOL and more with Sprint Mobile Email and BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). Also includes Sprint Mobile Email-Work, Microsoft Direct Push technology via Active Sync and Versamail. BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) can be added for an additional $20/mo. per line, or Worldwide data plans can be added for PDA or BlackBerry Sprint phones for $40/mo. per line when added to an Everything plan with data."

AT&T:
    I can't determine if I would be able to access work email, calendar and contacts or not. In their Blackberry plan which is priced the same as a standard data plan all is see is
    "Designed for BlackBerry users who primarily:

Surf the web
    Send and receive personal email"

Verizon: They seem to not add the charge: 11 BIS and 1 BES account are included with whatever data plan you choose.

Back to lnichols: I'm in agreement that EAS would not replace all of what BES has Today. It is gaining though, and EAS out of the box has remote wipe/lock for that account not only from the Exchange administrator, but also from the individual user account.

My Playbook connects to our Cisco VPN already. What I'm trying to get at is, all the other devices can act as a functional entity in a corporate environment, and though we have BES, I don't need or use it given EAS access. The PB could, if RIM let it. But if they did, I think it would cause people to reconsider their reasons for having BES in the first place.
    08-09-11 01:07 AM
    Looking back a year later, OS2 has EAS natively for free, and next up will be Blackberry 10 aka BB10. Indeed, there has been no real need for BES. My Playbook has been synching to my corporate Exchange for Calendar, Contacts and email just fine. Exchange admins do have remote wipe capabilities but not as much security-wise as a full BES.

I think that the days of Astrasync and Notifysync as for-pay products and services are limited. Maybe their respective companies could sell out to RIM.
    Last edited by melander; 08-18-12 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Blackberry 10 note
    08-18-12 09:20 PM
    BES will be replaced by mobile fusion.
    08-18-12 09:47 PM
    That's correct - mobile fusion for corporate users. Interesting is what's going to happen with services like BBM, Podcast etc. etc. on current platform which need BIS/BES connection (consider BB plan) to work.

As earlier the OP mentions, with a BB phone you need a BB plan which costs 10 USD on the top of your plan - in China where I reside actually 10 USD/month is the cheapest BB plan + data plan.

EAS for PIM, and for individual users most of the services - more or less designed in similar way, you can have with any modern platform. Interesting, at least to me, is to see future BB10 how is going to approach the market in terms of plans - special BB plan to have BBM etc. services?

Personally, not sure about other locations, but not very positive on BB10 if BB plan required on the top of data plan. For example, BB was officially introduced in China last year, and it looks like the market-entry is a disaster for now. To the best of my knowledge for year the subscribers of BB plans are less than 150,000 out of over 1 billion mobile subscribers. It turned out there are many people who like BlackBerry phones, but dont consider using BB on regular basis due to BB plan fees.

Most interesting is that many companies do not consider introduction of BBs on their platforms due to BES investment and BES plan fees to telcos.

Again, it might not be the case in other locations, but at least based on my "research" with individual users and organizations, the extra fees for virtually the same services you can get on other platform for "free" looks like to be a huge barrier here.
    08-18-12 10:34 PM
    Glad to see BB moving forward and support EAS. Was kinda shocked but glad for sure to see it.
    08-19-12 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD