I'm just wondering if it's worth it at this point. I'm looking to purchase a 64 GB PlayBook mainly for productivity. Don't use many apps so that will not be an issue for me. I am currently using a Z10 as a mobile device. I really want to heat from those who truly use their PlayBook for business purposes. I'm not a big fan of Apple or Android products. I wouldn't even consider. I know there are no plans to bring BB10 to the PlayBook but I don't see that as hindering my experience with the device. Looking for honest and practical feedback. Thanks!

Posted via my Z10: 10.2.1.1925
    It really comes down to usage. For me I have plenty of uses but if all I did was use the HDMI out port on it, that alone makes it worth the purchase price.

So it all comes down to what you want to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 08:57 AM
    Actually consider if $50-100. The $150 is too much but it is mainly due to the size of memory.
    64GB ain't enough???
    01-13-14 12:51 PM
    What I meant was $100 is a good deal for 64gb... Maybe pay even more. But for a 16gb model you should pay less than $100, since they were selling for $129 not long ago. The 64gb never went under $200 as far as I know... And yes 64gb is a nice amount of storage on a tablet !
    01-13-14 06:08 PM
    What I meant was $100 is a good deal for 64gb... Maybe pay even more. But for a 16gb model you should pay less than $100, since they were selling for $129 not long ago. The 64gb never went under $200 as far as I know... And yes 64gb is a nice amount of storage on a tablet !
    alot of people got them (64GB) @ the $150 fire sale price,,, these days they're going for abt $160 new on amazon...
    01-13-14 07:06 PM
    I just bought one last week, because it will work as a great companion to my z10 and that gesture interface just looks great for its age. Still waiting for shipping. Crossing fingers for tomorrow delivery, and on top of that, that I won't have too much trouble getting it started with the battery issues.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 09:09 PM
    New 64gb Playbook on ebay still $119. That's a great deal to me.
    01-13-14 09:22 PM
    With regards to the app gap, about the only things that I miss having are tapatalk, yelp, and skype / viber. Otherwise it is fine for email, browsing, docs to go does a fine job with office docs. Opens PDFs. eGo maps for gps. Scoremobile has replaced yahOo sports. Evernote is great. Animated Weather is the best weather app on any platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330
    01-13-14 10:55 PM
    Don't, it lacks support and is just awful compared to other tablets.

It's buggy, old OS, cheap build.

BlackBerry themselves don't bother with it

White Z10
    01-13-14 11:13 PM
    Don't, it lacks support and is just awful compared to other tablets.

It's buggy, old OS, cheap build.

BlackBerry themselves don't bother with it

White Z10
    It doesn't seem to be cheaply built. Build quality has never been an issue for any of the blackberry devices that I have owned. Care to explain?

Posted via my Z10: 10.2.1.1925
    01-14-14 07:59 AM
    I still use my PB everyday for business

Client email (exchange-activesync), giving presentations (via HDMI), viewing documents (excel, word, pdf, images)

I have a minor disability so I can't carry a heavy laptop very far - taking the PB I can still get around on public transport (if I take a laptop, I have to use taxis)

I find the PB much more useful than my work-supplied iPad and iPad-Mini

Don't need Skype now, as have it on my Q10

(note: the only games I usually play are Scrabble-variants and Backgammon)
    01-14-14 11:06 AM
    Bought a used 64GB PlayBook before Xmas. Love it. Does everything I need (except iCloud calendar grrrr). Always bought Apple in the past, you name it, I've had one. Screen is excellent. It's fast. As fast as an iPad. Ok it lacks some apps but for email and browsing it does the job. Sideloaded ES File Explorer gives me access to stored network files, music and videos and it streams great too. At �70 it was a steal. Loads of space for storing movies too. Haven't had chance to try HDMI output. Hope it's the Griffin cable and not the port but even if it is I still won't be disappointed. Bought a Z10 last week. Prefer that to my i5 too.

Posted via CB10 on my shiny new Z10. So long i5!
    01-14-14 02:19 PM
    I got my PB. Very cool. Anybody here have insight to bridge? I installed it with sim out so I could do it on att but the PB browser says I need a data plan. The app did update after my sim was back in, so could that be it?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 09:49 PM
    I got my PB. Very cool. Anybody here have insight to bridge? I installed it with sim out so I could do it on att but the PB browser says I need a data plan. The app did update after my sim was back in, so could that be it?

Posted via CB10
    Edit:
    Just realized it's running software from October 2012. Will update, that'll probably fix it considering the current is was made before BlackBerry 10 really existed

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:16 PM
    Amazon.com: BlackBerry PlayBook

If I were you I would grab one used or something on amazon. It's not my main tablet anymore but I do use it almost daily. Still good for what it does, but don't expect the world.
    Attached Thumbnails Worth it to purchase PlayBook?-screenshot_2014-01-15-00-45-31.png  
    01-14-14 11:44 PM
    Sure and it can sync with my Sega Saturn and Rubiks Cube.
    No just kidding it can't synce with my Sega Saturn
    axllebeer likes this.
    01-15-14 07:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    att won't let you use bridge, BUT, the good news is there is a workaround,,, search the forums...
    01-15-14 11:58 AM
    This question is absolutely a matter of perspective. The worth of any purchase is dependent upon your affinity with the product and its usefulness in your particular walk of life. For example, I love all things electronic, so even when a product has no immediate apparent usefulness (to me), I may still purchase it, hoping to re-purpose it for a previously unknown task. Of course, this is all based on each users experience.

In the case of the Playbook, it can serve a lot of different purposes, provided you are willing stay between the lines and acquire the proper accessories. I snagged the charging base and the HDMI cable for next to nothing. I also resurrected a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that I was saving for a rainy day. With these 3 devices, I comfortably use my Playbook for training prep and presentations, streaming video from just about any source, video and audio capture of special events, lightweight bedtime e-reader and lastly, an alarm clock and weather channel. Granted, any one of my other devices could probably do all of these tasks better, but having one device dedicated to a set number of repetitive tasks suits me quite well. Knowing that I have one device that is aggregating my many email accounts is a great comfort. Knowing that I can open and view video links (as opposed to getting the dreaded "not licensed for your device" message) is an awesome feature. Being able to read in bed without fatiguing my bicep to the point of collapse is a bonus. Above all of these reasons, having a device that I am no longer worried about it getting stolen or damaged is truly liberating. I can't number the times my heart stopped when I was on the verge of dropping my iPad. I would carry my tablets with me, but would not use them in every social setting for fear of being a victim a "snatch and run" theft. The idea of leaving my tablet unattended was tantamount to leaving your keys in the ignition, while you walk away holding a sign that said "I won't be back in time to stop you from driving off with my car." I have none of these anxieties with my Playbook. I've dropped it a few times and there is very little evidence of damage. I routinely read in public and most passerby's look at my Playbook with ignorance or disdain. While it doesn't have most of the apps that I use regularly, it has enough unique apps that increase its value for me. In my estimation, if you can find a Playbook and the Playbook Charging Base for a reasonable price, it is not only worth buying, it may soon be ranked as one of those "steal of the day" deals.
    axllebeer and cman5 like this.
    01-15-14 12:59 PM
    I absolutely agree with Kevin. If you know what the PlayBook can do and that's what you want, it's still a great buy. I love loading dosbox on mine and with my RIM mini keyboard I can play all the old DOS games that have been on floppy disks in a forgotten drawer for years. HDMI out to the tv works great. With BlackBerry remote or the PlayBook keyboard it's like a real(ish) PC experience on my plasma.

Here's an interesting case. I have android tablets as well and using things like the ABC app I'm told I can't output to my TV while watching something. With the PlayBook, I just go to the website and stream away. And it works a lot better than the android browser.

Posted from my CB10 via the power of "Q"
    01-15-14 01:06 PM
    att won't let you use bridge, BUT, the good news is there is a workaround,,, search the forums...
    It was my PB. The software version was out of date but it's working just fine now.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-15-14 02:57 PM
    So for clarification does bridge only supply data to the native browser? My other apps are saying no data but the browser is powered through bridge so this is my guess that it's a browser only thing?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 03:08 PM
    So for clarification does bridge only supply data to the native browser? My other apps are saying no data but the browser is powered through bridge so this is my guess that it's a browser only thing?

Posted via CB10
    Hi George

On my standard PB, bridge supplies internet connectivity to all of the PB, not just the browser.

Example: the 'Classic Words' app (it's a type of Scrabble-knock-off) can access the internet over bridge to pull down dictionary definitions - sometimes the app can't get the dictionary definitions, and when this happens, if I check my Q10 I will see that the phone has lost it's data connection
    01-15-14 04:23 PM
    Hi George

On my standard PB, bridge supplies internet connectivity to all of the PB, not just the browser.

Example: the 'Classic Words' app (it's a type of Scrabble-knock-off) can access the internet over bridge to pull down dictionary definitions - sometimes the app can't get the dictionary definitions, and when this happens, if I check my Q10 I will see that the phone has lost it's data connection
    OK I just realized some apps were getting data now, but others like email still don't, whereas the weather does. Weird!

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    if by data you mean: messaging (text, email), browser, pics, music, etc.; then yes...
    01-15-14 06:20 PM
    if by data you mean: messaging (text, email), browser, pics, music, etc.; then yes...
    Yeah I'm syncing with a z10 and I get the browser, bbm, sms, side loaded apps, and most native apps get data, but email doesn't, and neither does the store for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:49 PM
    I have to say with the stock browser, load times aren't fantastic, however, it handles full web pages way smoother than my fire hd, or even my z10. Must be the scrolling engine or something because usually big sites on most tablets stutter but not here! Impressive for old hardware.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-15-14 08:39 PM
60 123