More importantly what are YOU looking for in a tablet, what do you think hope or want it to do?

Then depending on YOUR answer it could be the best or worst 130$ you've ever spent.
    THIS is the best answer!

I just spent �140 on a new Playbook regardless of how old or new it is, and regardless of 'tech specs'. I simply wanted something small (I didn't want an unwieldy 10-incher) which of course still left quite a few in the race, I wanted a 64Gb storage that didn't require a mortgage (that wiped out a lot of the competition including the attractive and affordable Kindle Fire HD with its lowly 8Gb, I wanted a device that could browse web pages with Java and Flash (the competition was now seriously eroded), and most importantly, I wanted a tablet that could play commonplace video codecs such as divx, xvid etc without time-consuming conversions (and this last 'want' left only one tablet standing: the Playbook). None of the others gave me everything I wanted. It made NO difference to me if one had a slimmer bezel than the other, or one was slightly heavier or whatever. I wanted 'function', and the only tablet that gave me exactly what I wanted was the Playbook - and it's the best �140 I ever spent.
    kdeckels and pirerman like this.
    02-16-13 11:39 AM
    While the tech is reasonable, there have to be some doubts over the BlackBerry ecosystem. Everyone can say how they think apps don't matter but the fact is, they do. You don't need millions of them (esp if most of them are useless like Android), but you need at least a few good quality brand name ones and that's where the PB is struggling. I'd wait until the OS is updated properly. I'm on the verge of putting mine on eBay and getting something else.
    no doubt that its a big deal as a community, but to one person if it doesnt, then he web will do. yes blackberry will need apps to survive, that's where we have to in this day and age. but if the guy doesn't need one or any apps, then the playbook is fine.
    02-16-13 12:37 PM
    Multitasking on PB is outstanding - just like a proper PC. iPads are 1980's DOS in comparison. Bridge with a 3G BB phone is superb. Swipes are great and so simple - 22nd century stuff. Price is great as well.
    02-16-13 03:58 PM
    yes I thought the playbook wasn't that good wasn't really fan of bb till got playbook worth it for same price as kindle fire but better
    02-16-13 06:02 PM
    I have two 16 gig PB's and one 64 gig PB. All are great and do what I want them to.
    Be Bold Go BlackBerry!
    02-16-13 08:15 PM
    (I'll assume you are looking for a 7" tablets from here on out?)

Bottomline: If you've never had a tablet before, it's a great introduction at a steal of a price. It has a wonderful screen, that plays back video smoothly, great (honestly) sounding speakers for a tablet and is still being supported now, with BB10 OS to come later. Build quality is excellent.

However, it is getting a little long in the tooth, tech wise but somehow still manages to perform very well. For the money, if you spent a little bit extra, you could get the very good value Nexus 7 16GB. It will support just about every app imaginable (outside of platform exclusives) and last long in performance terms that the Playbook.

There are caveats though. The Nexus 7 doesn't have a rear camera, only has 16GB of space (compared to 64GB of the playbook if you get that model) and other things (look them up). Applications are often cheaper on Android for example.

I got my Playbook a few days ago, and I'm very happy with it. It does everything I need it to do. If I'm honest with myself, I really don't need that many apps anyway. I would like to have Netflix, but only because I already have an account with them, and Skype would be mega useful for me as my wife is on the other side of the world..... but there are alternatives.. but I'd prefer to use what she already has for example. (But I knew this buying it).

If you don't want to spend a lot and get good value for money, get the Playbook. If you are looking for a tablet that's best value in it's class, then get the Nexus 7 (In my humble opinion). I have a feeling the price of the these two tablets is the USA for example is roughly the same... so the Nexus 7 would win for me. In the UK, the Playbook is a fair bit cheaper so the choice is harder.

Whichever you choose to get (if you do), you won't be disappointed with either.

So.. let's hear back from you...

1) What are your intended uses?
    2) What do you NEED it to do?
    3) What would you LIKE it to do?
    4) Is capacity expansion (memory cards) or capacity in general an issue?
    5) Do you play 3D games?
    6) etc etc... let us know.
    02-16-13 08:57 PM
    What should be doing is trying out the Tablets in the stores. What is your budget ? If it is $200 then compare it with other sub $200 Tablets. What Apps do you need ? Can you get them on the PB. At the end of day the PB could be the best one but I would not depend on fan site reviews.
    02-16-13 09:34 PM
    Scouger I ordered my PlayBook yesterday, thanks for a good answer though.

Your reply probably would of made me want buy the PlayBook even more, I really don't care about apps, just so long as there's a few half decent ones. I doubt I'll ever use the camera, the 64gb will take my 4000 odd songs, some films and work.

Games really don't bother me, why would I care about "Good Tablet" games when I have a Xbox for proper games and a laptop for football manager.

To be honest, I just want a tablet just so I can say I have one and have a play around on it at night and I live in the UK where it's on sale for 130.

P.s. Thanks for the answers from everyone, you helped my decision even they your clearly all in love with blackberry and biased

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    pronomad and Bobert_123 like this.
    02-16-13 09:54 PM
    I really hope RIM employees don't read this forum. Because according to people over here the playbook is almost a perfect tablet.
    If i was blackberry's ceo why bother putting os10 ? it seems you already got everything u need...

Die hard apple fans are always shown as hype victims or no brainers but it is almost the same here
    If it such an excellent product why the sales were ****ty ? Why does every website say it is not a top product ?
    02-16-13 10:31 PM
    Congratulations and welcome to the PB community!! Enjoy your PlayBook, but be warned: you may start out fooling around at night, but it's such a useful device that it will soon grow on you. Explore the possibilities, check out the PB how-to videos on the BB website, and stay tuned to this forum for a continuous gold mine of information and discussion.
    02-16-13 10:43 PM
    May as well get a playbook now and update to BB10 when it's out cause who knows when or if playbook 2 ever comes out.

Posted Via CB10, BB10, Z10
    02-16-13 11:00 PM
    Why bother buying the market's best tablet?? Need I say more? Just keep in mind that you can't use Netflix or Skype ....If those two useless Apps were real important to you...then the Playbook is not for you. Enough said.
    That's an insidiously subjective opinion. The Playbook pound for pound is great, as long as you want an internet/email/video tablet with no netflix, and no future. I LOVE my Playbook, but it's enraging how close to perfect it is, and this makes the omissions that more glaring. It's like a consumer good version of the Uncanny valley.
    02-16-13 11:36 PM
    I really hope RIM employees don't read this forum. Because according to people over here the playbook is almost a perfect tablet.
    If i was blackberry's ceo why bother putting os10 ? it seems you already got everything u need...

Die hard apple fans are always shown as hype victims or no brainers but it is almost the same here
    If it such an excellent product why the sales were ****ty ? Why does every website say it is not a top product ?
    The same approach as other OS... every forum, they have someone who pretends to be very satisfied users and that the device is perfect! And anyone who raise issues is a "troll"... they are getting paid on that, so try to understand them...

At the same time, I believe, the same paid-defenders were also being distributed to other OS / forums’ competitors to become "trolls" with only one objective i.e. to turn down the device that no matter how good some of its functions, they will always highlights the shortcomings...

Someone is calling this approach as business strategies...
    02-16-13 11:37 PM
    The PlayBook with full bridge cannot be beat.

Skype is coming.

/thread
    02-16-13 11:48 PM
    I love my playbook, I do tons if Internet browsing on it
    02-17-13 03:35 AM
    Honestly it does some of the work if u are not an "app" people
    It lacks big names like skype which is used by everyone in the world except crackberry members...
    but if you have extra money Nexus7 is really the best if you need Skype
    There, fixed it for you
    02-17-13 04:35 AM
    The same approach as other OS... every forum, they have someone who pretends to be very satisfied users and that the device is perfect! And anyone who raise issues is a "troll"... they are getting paid on that, so try to understand them...

At the same time, I believe, the same paid-defenders were also being distributed to other OS / forums’ competitors to become "trolls" with only one objective i.e. to turn down the device that no matter how good some of its functions, they will always highlights the shortcomings...

Someone is calling this approach as business strategies...
    you're right, they must be paid. I don't get it. When i'm reading i'm like whoa those guy are not in the same planet or they got a different playbook than mine...

those dudes were saying wait os2, then "who need appz you got the browser", then wait for cascades, then wait for os10... and now it's "who need os10 ?"
    I don't get it. People are awfully subjective or blind... or simply not smart enough

however, i just don't see the point writing down all these lies about this "perfect" tablet
    02-17-13 06:26 AM
    I have the Z10 and Samsung Note,i think it is better to keep in touch with other operating systems and the applications on Android are cheaper.
    02-17-13 08:52 AM
    The PlayBook with full bridge cannot be beat.

Skype is coming.

/thread

I have a question . I have a PB. I have a BB9900 ( plus other Laptops etc. ) What is so special about bridging ? If I have to do work I would never do it on a tablet , I would use a laptop. What is the love for the bridge ? I just don't see why you think that I should prize my PB because of the bridge.
    02-17-13 09:55 AM
    I have a question . I have a PB. I have a BB9900 ( plus other Laptops etc. ) What is so special about bridging ? If I have to do work I would never do it on a tablet , I would use a laptop. What is the love for the bridge ? I just don't see why you think that I should prize my PB because of the bridge.
    I'll answer that one:
    -for one you save on tethering charges.

-if you are the type that carries the PlayBook pretty much everywhere you go, then the connection between the 2 is very handy for doing most things you would do on your phone, right on the PlayBook.

-Remote control! I use it all the time when the PlayBook is plugged into my TV.

-you can store all music on the BlackBerry phone, then play it over bluetooth on the playbook. Thereby saving space on the PlayBook.

Those are some of the things I do with it.
    02-17-13 10:07 AM
    You sound a lot like me. I have had BlackBerry since 2008. About a year ago I kept seeing people with tablets. I played with many of them and then bought my PlayBook. It is a very solid device. Very good for Internet browsing and gaming of all kinds. Sounds like you should buy one and join the club!
    02-17-13 10:11 AM
    I never regretted having bought 2 PlayBooks, love them both and use them both a lot
    02-17-13 10:15 AM
    How deep is a pint of custard?
    02-17-13 10:16 AM
    How deep is a pint of custard?
    Depends on the circumference of the container.
    02-17-13 10:20 AM
    Guess it depends upon what type of work you have to do. I rarely use my laptop anymore.

I find the bridge super convenient and very versatile. From the remote control to texting and everything in between. "Open on PlayBook". Gotta love it.
    02-17-13 10:28 AM
73 123