I'll answer that one:
    -for one you save on tethering charges.

Could you explain that a little more for me ? Do you mean by using Wifi ? Not understanding this comment. We are talking about "the bridge".
    02-17-13 10:52 AM
    I'll answer that one:
    -for one you save on tethering charges.

Could you explain that a little more for me ? Do you mean by using Wifi ? Not understanding this comment. We are talking about "the bridge".
    If you have a bb phone and enable Bridge, you can use your phone's data connection to surf the web on the pb (except for AT&T but there's a workaround for that, too). It is slightly different than tethering. In the US, at least, you do not generally get a Tethering allowance that allows you to share your 3g(or other) with another device without paying extra - so creating a hotspot with a phone might cost extra whereas the Bridge method avoids those potential extra charges.
    axllebeer likes this.
    02-17-13 11:06 AM
    Guess it depends upon what type of work you have to do. I rarely use my laptop anymore.

I find the bridge super convenient and very versatile. From the remote control to texting and everything in between. "Open on PlayBook". Gotta love it.
    OK but there are Apps for other Tablets that allow for similar functions and you don't need to own a BB phone. Nothing wrong with the bridge if you want to stay BB. As far as using a Tablet as producing device vs a consuming device. The jury is still out. At the very least you need a good attachable KB. The PB KB that you can buy is expensive and not that good. Nor would I want to use a 7 inch device for work.

Again, the PB is fine but so are other Tablets. I am not convinced that the Bridge is a sales feature. So far I am only convinced by the cheap price, ample storage and cool OS.

Not convinced by reliability , relative heavy weight and the lack of Apps that I want. I think the higher pixel count and the faster processor of the Nexus 7 is worth the $$.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-17-13 at 12:09 PM.
    02-17-13 11:17 AM
    If you have a bb phone and enable Bridge, you can use your phone's data connection to surf the web on the pb (except for AT&T but there's a workaround for that, too). It is slightly different than tethering. In the US, at least, you do not generally get a Tethering allowance that allows you to share your 3g(or other) with another device without paying extra - so creating a hotspot with a phone might cost extra whereas the Bridge method avoids those potential extra charges.
    OK but if I connect my Ipad or my PB to my BB9900 via bluetooth isn't that the same data charge ? Is it a faster connection using the bridge ? The phone company doesn't know what or how I have tethered my phone to do they?
    02-17-13 11:24 AM
    OK but there are Apps for other Tablets that allow for similar functions and you don't need to own a BB phone. Nothing wrong with the bridge if you want to stay BB. As far as using a Tablet as producing device vs a consuming device. The jury is still out. At the very least you need a good attachable KB. The PB KB that you can buy is expensive and not that good. Nor would I want to use a 7 inch device for work.

Again, the PB is fine but so are other Tablets. I am not convinced that the Bridge is a sales feature. So far I am only convinced by the cheap price, ample storage and cool OS.

Not convinced by reliability , relative heavy weight and the lack of Apps that I want.
    The tethering by other means and tablets with droid phones is something I'm confused about. In the US, at least in the past, you could be setting yourself up for a huge data bill if tethering without the plan. Using my PB, I don't have to worry about that. I'm still on one of the old unlimited plans, and would probably lose it if I added a tablet to the plan.
    02-17-13 11:26 AM
    Get the ipad mini or a similar form factor android, it is better for the apps. I love the pb interface and ui but a tablet is pretty dull without the latest and greatest apps. I am still loyal to bb on the phone/messaging front but the form factor of the mini and it's amazing battery life pretty much kills the PB. Really size and weight drive my adoption and actual use. i'll use my pb for couch surfing but if i need to bring something bigger than my 9930 screen on th erun the ipad slips in a coat or suit pocket where the pb does not. The mini is so slim you almost forget you have it on you. PB is great but rim blew the launch and developers never took another look. It's hard enough to find good os10 apps. Maybe once they finally give us os10 on PB the story will change...a bit...but realistically there is no comparison.
    02-17-13 11:48 AM
    OK but if I connect my Ipad or my PB to my BB9900 via bluetooth isn't that the same data charge ? Is it a faster connection using the bridge ? The phone company doesn't know what or how I have tethered my phone to do they?
    In the states they do. I know ATT won't allow hotspot on my 9900 or tethering unless I have a minimum 5GB data plan at $50/month. I still have an old unlimited plan for $30/month and with the bridge app I can use the internet on PB without additional cost. It's a cost savings that keeps me from even considering a different tablet for off WiFi use.
    kdeckels likes this.
    02-17-13 11:51 AM
    Interesting ... not aware of any cost advantages in Canada or any difficulties in that regard. Thanks though for treating my question seriously. I am not trolling here. To be on the safe side I will tether on the bridge.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-17-13 at 12:11 PM.
    02-17-13 11:56 AM
    PlayBook is the best investment I've made. Great quality and technology

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 11:57 AM
    I'm watching Playbooks go for 65 -85 bucks on craigslist....
    ...At that price, for what you can do with it - that's a good deal!
    houshinto#IM likes this.
    02-17-13 12:02 PM
    To the op, keep us posted on your experience with it
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-17-13 02:44 PM
    I'm watching Playbooks go for 65 -85 bucks on craigslist....
    ...At that price, for what you can do with it - that's a good deal!
    Truer words have never been spoken!
    I'd personally go with the LTE playbook as BB10 will probably work much better on it.
    02-17-13 03:47 PM
    I have an iPad 4, a kindle fire and a PlayBook. The PlayBook has the best interface by far, but does not have kindle (please do not mention the horrible sideloaded kindle app that simply kill the PB), and business wise, I need the iPad for some apps.
    02-17-13 04:13 PM
    I can't honestly recommend the PB. From a hardware perspective it's the best build quality but that doesn't get you very far. There are too few quality apps to do much useful with it.

I loved mine but sold it because I hardly used it. I would suggest you go with the Nexus 7 instead.

Sent from RAZR HD
    02-17-13 04:31 PM
    I can't honestly recommend the PB. From a hardware perspective it's the best build quality but that doesn't get you very far. There are too few quality apps to do much useful with it.

I loved mine but sold it because I hardly used it. I would suggest you go with the Nexus 7 instead.

Sent from RAZR HD
    Too few quality apps to do much with it?? Really I lol when I read that. Can you expound on why the PlayBook is not useful?
    02-17-13 04:37 PM
    Too few quality apps to do much with it?? Really I lol when I read that. Can you expound on why the PlayBook is not useful?
    Hmm, at least they don't have a good Facebook app, neither native Twitter, Linkedin, Tumblr,.... or even Yahoo!M, Skype,... and no mobile banking app (while they said that PB was built for business).

Some of those lack can be solved by using Browser or Android apps but it doesn't work well actually. I'm using PB, but have to admit that Blackberry does need to do much more.
    anon(226560) likes this.
    02-17-13 05:01 PM
    I just go straight to my bank's Web Site. Works great.
    silversmith75 likes this.
    02-17-13 05:40 PM
    I just go straight to my bank's Web Site. Works great.
    I knew I could make transactions on Browser, but it doesn't means that an native app is not nesessary (the same with Facebook, Tiwitter,...). If everything can be done on Browser, why all developers have to build so many apps, right?
    FF22 likes this.
    02-17-13 06:07 PM
    I knew I could make transactions on Browser, but it doesn't means that an native app is not nesessary (the same with Facebook, Tiwitter,...). If everything can be done on Browser, why all developers have to build so many apps, right?
    For things I would normally do on a PC browser I want to do on the tablet browser. My bank, YouTube, these forums etc. I'm familiar with the sites and that makes navigation easier. I don't even use the mobile Crackberry on my 9900. For me those apps aren't necessary.
    02-17-13 07:05 PM
    the playbook is what brought me here...

i saw one in futureshop thought i would play with it, i had heard good things about... i was sooooo frusterated lol... there was no back button or anything i couldn't exit and app...ahhh so i left it..... my sister had won one at here staff party. i played with it.. and she showed me the gestures (light bulb).. it was soo easy once i knew how to opperate it..was looking through future shop flyer saw the price had really droped... i went the next day and looked again... couldn't decide if i would like the smaller screen... ipad was out of the question i hate itunes and its limitations..and restrictions..anyway long story short bought a 32gig....love it..

pros..
    the user interface is awesome. the gesture controls and multi tasking is the best i have seen and the gestures is the future of touch dev.. imo
    it does every thing i needed it to...
    has some good games
    plays almost every video i put on it (i i don't have to convert them and put them in itunes which is time consuming)
    the music player is good..
    the video store is good and up to date.
    the contacts and caladars is awesome combinging all info you need.
    email workds good..
    has 5gh wifi chip

cons
    apps... there are lots but not a lot of the big ones...i do think we will see more and more as the popularity of bb10 grows. and when the pb gets upgraded bb10 there will be the big ones.
    skype etc.. i don't care don't use it... video chat works just as well
    cam sucks in low light, no flash...

i can't think of any others feel free to add to lists..

i love my playbook. my only complaint is apps and price of some of the apps...
    Keep IT Moving likes this.
    02-17-13 07:52 PM
    Well my biggest frustration was the lack of a good pdf reader that allowed me to highlight, annotate, and save these changes. Also one that saved the position I was reading. There is an official Adobe reader available but (at least at the time) was too bare bones to be of much use.

The lack of an official Dropbox app was bad although BlueBox did manage to be a solid stand in. There's was no Sugarsync app so that was disappointing as well.

This varies if you find social Media important but for me it was an there was no Instagram or Pinterest app. Also no Songza and well the list goes on.

Perhaps the difficulty for me was coming from an ecosystem that already has all these apps available. Like I said the PB is a good tablet, a great one actually but there aren't enough apps supporting it. I do hope BB10 improves this but until then I can't honestly recommend it. Just my personal two cents.

Sent from Galaxy Nexus
    02-20-13 04:45 PM
    Dude go on every website specialized on tech, phones tablets etc and read the tests
    Compare all the tablets they've tested and make your choice
    02-20-13 05:45 PM
    Get the ipad mini.
    I have the mini and am about to sell it. I played some games on it and stuff. Now the desire has work off. Haven't used it in days. Still using my PlayBook every day.
    02-20-13 05:55 PM
73 123