I don't have a tablet, I've never had one and I don't want an iPad.

So is it worth me getting PlayBook? Please be honest what's good about it and what's bad, I can get it brand new for 130.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-15-13 08:14 PM
    Why bother buying the market's best tablet?? Need I say more? Just keep in mind that you can't use Netflix or Skype ....If those two useless Apps were real important to you...then the Playbook is not for you. Enough said.
    Fascade518 likes this.
    02-15-13 08:47 PM
    Never used either of those apps I'll probably give Skype a go if it ever gets to the Z10 but I'm not too bothered.

The only reason I might not buy one, is the rumours about a PlayBook 2 coming out later this year.

02-15-13 08:52 PM
    If a pb2 comes out, it will probably be a nice device with some beefed up specs but it will not be anywhere in the price range of the current pb.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    02-15-13 09:15 PM
    I'll decide next time I get paid. Thanks guys.

02-15-13 09:18 PM
    If you can get it cheap ....Yes.... otherwise Don't
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    02-15-13 09:54 PM
    If you can wait, then wait...

If not, welcome aboard...

02-15-13 10:04 PM
    More importantly what are YOU looking for in a tablet, what do you think hope or want it to do?

Then depending on YOUR answer it could be the best or worst 130$ you've ever spent.
    02-15-13 10:14 PM
    For that price, so long as there isn't a must have app for you that isn't available then just go for it. Even at its age it's still a really solid tab at the current prices its quite awesome.
    02-15-13 10:20 PM
    You are buying 2 year old hardware with the PB, which will last you at least another 2 to 3 years if we ever get BB OS10

If you buy some of the new models like Nexus and IPad mini, at least you have up to date hardware and OS
    That's why the PB is so inexpensive, you are buying a 2 year old technology, without real USB port, micro card slot
    like buying a 2 year old Laptop, desktop or car

PS
    I bought for my wife last week an IPad mini 16gb, I like the design, don't like the OS
    but the screen is great, hooked up her private email yahoo address and her work MS-Exchange in an instant
    better than with the PB
    she has a IPOD touch 64gb as well, so she knows of how to use it
    I may get one for myself as I need skype when traveling

still the swiping features on PB OS is unique, much easier, hope we get OS10 and the missing apps soon

updated 02 16 2013
    one of the greatest plus is the bridge to my BB 9780 - none has copied that yet and it saves me a bundle when traveling
    I still love my BB 9780, I do a lot of international traveling roaming, and t-mo USA only charged me $20 for a months international data roaming,
    Last edited by hreiner1; 02-16-13 at 02:58 PM.
    02-15-13 10:28 PM
    You are buying 2 year old hardware with the PB, which will last you another 2 to 3 years if we ever get BB OS10

If you buy some of the new models like Nexus and IPad mini, at least you have up to date hardware and OS
    That's why the PB is so inexpensive, you are buying a 2 year old technology, without real USB port, micro card slot
    like buying a 2 year old Laptop, desktop or car

PS
    I bought for my wife last week an IPad mini 16gb, I like the design, dont like the OS
    but the screen is great, hooked up her private email yahoo adress and her work MS-Exchange in an instant
    better than with the PB
    she has a IPOD touch 64gb as well, so she know of how to use it
    I may get one for myself as I need skype when traveling

still the swiping features on PB OS is unique, much easier
    I have both and they each serve a purpose. Camera is better on the Mini, I find that I use it more often then the one on the PlayBook. The rear that is. But when it comes to multitasking the PlayBook wins hands down. And the fact that the PlayBook has a real file system means the world to me. I find that there are fewer bugs then on my friends Android tablet. The PlayBook just feels like the one for me still. I used them both, (typing on the PlayBook now), but I do agree that the main thing holding the Mini back is by far the OS.

Edit:
    I just remembered 2 good points however, the mini has a duel-core processor clocked at 1ghz and 512mb of RAM.
    The PlayBook however has the same speed processor and 1gb of RAM. So not really fair to say its outdated hardwear, even though you didn't, but to say 2 yr old hardwear does sound like its pretty outdated. Compared to some tabs out there its dated, but not compared to the mini. Screen is better on the mini, but that's about it.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 02-15-13 at 10:50 PM. Reason: More.
    02-15-13 10:42 PM
    Short answer to your question: Yes!

...and here, imo, is a longer-answer to why:

[To Note: My relative comparison is between a PB 32GB ($118) and Tab 2.0 8GB ($149) - as like you, iPad was never a consideration.]

1) PB is intuitive and works well. Right out of the box I knew from the icons what I had and how to get what I wanted.
    Example: I can play videos touching the video icon to where I have movies downloaded and libraried. Easy thumbnail selection and playability!
    With the Tab, I do not see where I can just touch a video folder to select a movie for me to play, rather I have to go use the Documents manager to find however may folders deep the file I want to play. Lame.

Plugging the USB into my PC easily opened the storage for filling.
    Tab is the same, but again, once I put a movie on the Tab, it was not as easily accessible for playback as the PB.

In general, I just find the PB GUI and Interactiveness more logical. As a long-time systems designer, I found the Tab counter-intuitive to common conventions/habits, which PB seemed to continue to follow.
    My learning curve and time/energy investment for return was/is much better with the PB. Another +Plus for the PB and my lifestyle. This boosts my PB affinity.

2) PB plays Media well and entertains me. (My #1 reason for getting a tablet vs. a Z10 for primary Communications.)
    With 32 GB on board holding dozens of MP4 and M4V movies, I watch my faves endlessly (Big Trouble in Little China/So I Married an Axe Murderer anyone?).
    I also have 100 MP3 songs (including the full Midnight Snack volume 1 playlist). Wicked good times ensue!
    8GB I find too last millennium, and just not near enough space for the media I want to travel with to give me the selection I like when on the go and trying to find something to listen to/watch which fits my differing moods. Lame.

Along with 5 - 500 GB Seagate WiFi external hard drives which easily stream everything else I need. PB and Tab both do this well.

To Note, I do not use Netflix, so cannot comment on that.

2 a) With the Tab, you cannot scale the movie screen size yourself, only touch Full Screen, which then keeps the same width, and only heightens the screen - awkwardly elongating everything. Lame.
    The PB keeps movies proportional and zoomable, which is way more practical. Awesome!

3) Along with the PB, PB Accessories are a real bargain relative to the Tab (not to mention iPay).
    I got the BlackBerry Rapid Charger for $15 and BlackBerry Case w/ Bluetooth Keyboard set for $15 too (totaling $148 before eco fee n taxes, including PB). So Sweet!
    Never bothered buying any accessories for the Tab. All more individually expensive.

PB et al. was cheaper than the Tab itself. haha! Let alone 32GB vs. just 8GB. Lame.

I haven't gotten one yet, but PB Cases are relatively cheaper too. So far the neoprene case has worked well for me.

4) I like BBM for me and my kids, as it's more closed (than other messengers and internet channels). That is to say, we Video Chat between each other with just the touch of an icon (syncing BBM Pins) - where they don't need a phone or phone number for me or them. They don't need to open a Browser either. No one else is synced or can join-in. The Video Chats also ring on my Z10 at the same time, so I can grab whichever one is closest when they call. I plan to get a PB for my technologically adverse parents so they can talk to the kids and see them at the same time too. I find this better than Skype for this purpose. For global video chat, I use Skype and look forward to getting it on PB when PB gets BB10 this year (as Skype is coming to BB10 sooner rather than later).

5) I like how Browsing the Web looks the same as on my PC, unlike using Mobile sites or no Flash.

6) I like how when I press 'Up' on the PB buttons - the Sound goes Up! Backwards in the Tab I don't get this 1 bit, except makes me like PB even more.

7) I like how the weight of the PB makes it feel more durable than the 'dainty' Tab, which I fear will break easier.

8) The more square-design allows the PB to be leaned against other stuff easier than the thin beveled edge of the Tab which keeps it slipping down more - when not using a stand.

9) Getting a PB shows others you are a follower of good technology, and not just a follower or pretentious trends. I have yet to find anyone to show me how Tab of iPad is better then PB. Apps you say? I have all the Apps I need with PB and then some - as like Love, it's Quality over Quantity for me.

10) PB will get BB10 - and BB10 schools iOS and Android. Boo-Yah!!

...among other things I keep discovering.

To show the PB is not perfect, I must say the Camera is only so-so for me. I find it does not do well in low light, such as indoors, as compared to outdoors. Pics can be a little fuzzy. Mic works well, but I find the built-in Speaker only so-so too, as for example, the Avengers makes it crackle during the louder action sequences. I over-came this today by buying the new BlackBerry Mini-Speaker). As well, sometimes the Power button doesn't push as smooth as I would like, but isn't anything worrisome to me.)

Long story short is, I use my PB everyday with my Z10, and now with the Mini-Speaker too. Buying the PB lead me to buying the Z-10, which are most excellent complements to each other - and even better once sharing BB10.

It's the best technology around I can find for the best price anyone is offering. A win-win for me As an Economist, I also liking getting the best deals I can find too. Even if it all breaks down - I'm in for less than $200, so it's not much of a gamble for me. So far, it's all paid off in spades!

My Tab is a 'toilet tablet' now, for anyone bored enough to want to use it.

All the best in your decision - Let us know how things turn oot!

[PS: As further testament: I like the PB so much - I just took sat here for 1 hour to tell you a little about it and my experience That's how much fun it is! ]
    02-15-13 11:38 PM
    The hardware is two years old but performance is excellent due to the QNX OS. Screen is very good. Speakers very good. Multitasking excellent. Camera good in fair light. HD video recording good. Bridging to a BB legacy OS is brilliant. "BB10" coming. Excellent gaming. Decent but full desktop browser. Docs to go. UI is superb. Good battery life.

Definitely worth it especially if full bridge capability comes to BB10 phones.
    Keep IT Moving likes this.
    02-16-13 01:16 AM
    I don't have a tablet, I've never had one and I don't want an iPad.

So is it worth me getting PlayBook? Please be honest what's good about it and what's bad, I can get it brand new for 130.

first tablet I ever owned.. easy to use, and very user friendly... in the course of 6 months, I've accumualtes 3 16gig playbooks. they network to windows via wifi, with ease...

u can find deals on playbooks all the time on ebay, and also cowboom.com ( cowboom.com's a secret fav of mine...best deals I've ever seen, on all electronics)

yes, playbook for the win. worth every penny.
    02-16-13 02:01 AM
    Depends on the price. I got my 64 gigs for 178 out the door from office Depot. If you think the price is justifiable then why not? It's a pretty good device and for the apps we don't have we can go to the sites
    02-16-13 02:51 AM
    i just bought the galaxy note 10.1. and if you want all the apps and fancy stuff that you will rarely use buy a high dollar tablet. If you need a good web browser , solid device for general use and great speakers get the playbook. It all depends on what you need/ want. I take my playbook everywhere on my travels. my new note tablet is more for home use too big to lug around.
    02-16-13 03:28 AM
    While the tech is reasonable, there have to be some doubts over the BlackBerry ecosystem. Everyone can say how they think apps don't matter but the fact is, they do. You don't need millions of them (esp if most of them are useless like Android), but you need at least a few good quality brand name ones and that's where the PB is struggling. I'd wait until the OS is updated properly. I'm on the verge of putting mine on eBay and getting something else.
    02-16-13 04:03 AM
    Thanks for all the answers, sorry I haven't replied I live in the UK and its only morning here now. After reading all the replies I'm definitely buying one now, can't wait!

Keep IT Moving and pirerman like this.
    02-16-13 05:35 AM
    Hold on, hold on, let's not go overboard. I love my 32GB PB, and bought a Galaxy 2.0 plus for Madame, as well as a 10" Toshiba Excite for Madame-in-law. Neither of them are remotely techy, and it is the first Android device Madame has ever had. I still recommend the PB highly, but Android is popular for a reason. My comments in bold below.

Short answer to your question: Yes!

...and here, imo, is a longer-answer to why:

[To Note: My relative comparison is between a PB 32GB ($118) and Tab 2.0 8GB ($149) - as like you, iPad was never a consideration.]

1) PB is intuitive and works well. Right out of the box I knew from the icons what I had and how to get what I wanted.
    Example: I can play videos touching the video icon to where I have movies downloaded and libraried. Easy thumbnail selection and playability!
    With the Tab, I do not see where I can just touch a video folder to select a movie for me to play, rather I have to go use the Documents manager to find however may folders deep the file I want to play. Lame. (On the Galaxy/Excite, they just tap "Videos", select their videos and they're off; not complicated at all. There were a couple of times when videos wouldn't play in the Excite native player, but quick trip to the Play Store and downloading MX Player (free) solved the problem; very different from my converting videos to play in PB or downloading KalemSoft (paid app). Yes, their screen view is slightly elongated in landscape view, but it doesn't really detract from the viewing experience.)

Plugging the USB into my PC easily opened the storage for filling.
    Tab is the same, but again, once I put a movie on the Tab, it was not as easily accessible for playback as the PB. (don't understand this; I haven't had any trouble locating files on any of the tablets when connected to my laptop.)

In general, I just find the PB GUI and Interactiveness more logical. As a long-time systems designer, I found the Tab counter-intuitive to common conventions/habits, which PB seemed to continue to follow.
    My learning curve and time/energy investment for return was/is much better with the PB. Another +Plus for the PB and my lifestyle. This boosts my PB affinity. (I too love the intuitive nature of the PB OS, but my non-techies have had no difficulty adapting to Android despite never having used the platform before; in fact, the Excite is Madame-in-law's first computing device of any kind and she's a whiz with it now, using it mostly for Facebook, Skype, gaming, and moderate web surfing.)

2) PB plays Media well and entertains me. (My #1 reason for getting a tablet vs. a Z10 for primary Communications.)
    With 32 GB on board holding dozens of MP4 and M4V movies, I watch my faves endlessly (Big Trouble in Little China/So I Married an Axe Murderer anyone?).
    I also have 100 MP3 songs (including the full Midnight Snack volume 1 playlist). Wicked good times ensue!
    8GB I find too last millennium, and just not near enough space for the media I want to travel with to give me the selection I like when on the go and trying to find something to listen to/watch which fits my differing moods. Lame. (Space has never been an issue for me with my 32GB PB; I've got 180 apps, over 300 songs, about two dozen videos, dozens of ebooks, and countless work-related docs on it right now, and still have over 11GB free. True, Galaxy Tab 2.0 on-board memory of 8GB is pretty skimpy, but Madame has downloaded apps to her heart's content and she still has plenty of memory left, and the Excite 10 has 16GB on board. In addition, both tablets have microSDcard slots; Galaxy Tab 2.0 can handle up to 32GB, while the Excite 10 can even take full size SD cards, so memory can be expanded up to 128GB.)

Along with 5 - 500 GB Seagate WiFi external hard drives which easily stream everything else I need. PB and Tab both do this well. (no personal experience; can't comment on this.)

To Note, I do not use Netflix, so cannot comment on that. (We are not in North America, so Netflix is not available to us anyway; the ladies had access when in the States on vacation, but it's not a big deal to me personally as I have plenty of downloaded media available on the PB to entertain myself. However, the fact that PB's Al Jazeera app allows me to stream AJ through wifi is a BIG plus for a newshound like me, and not available on Android.)

2 a) With the Tab, you cannot scale the movie screen size yourself, only touch Full Screen, which then keeps the same width, and only heightens the screen - awkwardly elongating everything. Lame. (Not that big a deal; MX Player does a pretty good job IMHO.)
    The PB keeps movies proportional and zoomable, which is way more practical. Awesome!

3) Along with the PB, PB Accessories are a real bargain relative to the Tab (not to mention iPay).
    I got the BlackBerry Rapid Charger for $15 and BlackBerry Case w/ Bluetooth Keyboard set for $15 too (totaling $148 before eco fee n taxes, including PB). So Sweet!
    Never bothered buying any accessories for the Tab. All more individually expensive. (I find case prices to be pretty comparable across tablets, and my impression is that there are a lot more Bluetooth keyboards, in various price ranges, available for Android. PB OEM keyboard aside, it seems that we PB users don't have nearly as much choice of keyboards that work seamlessly. However, I do hate that Samsung uses a proprietary system, so you can't just grab accessories off the shelf for USB on the go or to connect to a TV via HDMI.)

PB et al. was cheaper than the Tab itself. haha! Let alone 32GB vs. just 8GB. Lame. (True, but let's remember that PB fire-sale prices are there because the tablet was not well received and was frankly not ready for prime time when released. The original price was double or triple the current price, while Tab 2.0 was designed as a budget tablet from the get-go.
    I haven't gotten one yet, but PB Cases are relatively cheaper too. So far the neoprene case has worked well for me.

4) I like BBM for me and my kids, as it's more closed (than other messengers and internet channels). That is to say, we Video Chat between each other with just the touch of an icon (syncing BBM Pins) - where they don't need a phone or phone number for me or them. They don't need to open a Browser either. No one else is synced or can join-in. The Video Chats also ring on my Z10 at the same time, so I can grab whichever one is closest when they call. I plan to get a PB for my technologically adverse parents so they can talk to the kids and see them at the same time too. I find this better than Skype for this purpose. For global video chat, I use Skype and look forward to getting it on PB when PB gets BB10 this year (as Skype is coming to BB10 sooner rather than later).

5) I like how Browsing the Web looks the same as on my PC, unlike using Mobile sites or no Flash. (The Madames are not big on browsing like me, but their web experience doesn't seem bad. They are both using their stock browsers, and I side-loaded Flash for them, so no problem there.)

6) I like how when I press 'Up' on the PB buttons - the Sound goes Up! Backwards in the Tab I don't get this 1 bit, except makes me like PB even more.

7) I like how the weight of the PB makes it feel more durable than the 'dainty' Tab, which I fear will break easier. (To each his own; Tab 2.0 Plus and Excite seems durable and well made to me -- Excite is the better of the two in my opinion, but I don't feel that Tab 2.0 is going to snap into pieces. My PB definitely feels more durable and well-made than either of the Android tablets, although I wish it were just a bit lighter. A bit more battery life wouldn't hurt, either, although my PB has almost always gotten me through the day with no problems.)

8) The more square-design allows the PB to be leaned against other stuff easier than the thin beveled edge of the Tab which keeps it slipping down more - when not using a stand.

9) Getting a PB shows others you are a follower of good technology, and not just a follower or pretentious trends. I have yet to find anyone to show me how Tab of iPad is better then PB. Apps you say? I have all the Apps I need with PB and then some - as like Love, it's Quality over Quantity for me. (I really don't think it's about technology for the average user; they just want something that works for them and does what they want/need it to do. Let's face it, there ARE a lot more games/apps available for other platforms; true, many of them are garbage, but you have much more opportunity to find one that works for you if you have the patience to sample them. For me, Bridge over PB is indispensable because I travel a lot and need to keep up with the office. Madame's office has synced her Tab with her office, so she keeps up via wifi wherever she is; for me however, when I travel to places without BB service, my office e-mail over wifi doesn't work nearly as well. I wish that I had Skype so I could keep in touch with home as the two Madames keep in touch with each other and their friends. I wish we had a good/reliable map app with turn-by-turn ability. I wish there were some type of Whatsapp/Viber/Nimbuzz app on the PB to communicate across platforms. I want the PB app ecosystem to grow to the point where popular apps are available across platforms at similar price points. For the moment, it doesn't bother me to purchase apps that are free on other platforms, since I want to support BB, and since I paid so little for my PB in the first place: the way I look at it, I'd have to purchase mucho $$ worth of PB apps to equal the price of an iPad or Android tab, so I come out ahead).

10) PB will get BB10 - and BB10 schools iOS and Android. Boo-Yah!!

...among other things I keep discovering.

To show the PB is not perfect, I must say the Camera is only so-so for me. I find it does not do well in low light, such as indoors, as compared to outdoors. Pics can be a little fuzzy. Mic works well, but I find the built-in Speaker only so-so too, as for example, the Avengers makes it crackle during the louder action sequences. I over-came this today by buying the new BlackBerry Mini-Speaker). As well, sometimes the Power button doesn't push as smooth as I would like, but isn't anything worrisome to me.) (

Long story short is, I use my PB everyday with my Z10, and now with the Mini-Speaker too. Buying the PB lead me to buying the Z-10, which are most excellent complements to each other - and even better once sharing BB10. (I'm with you here; can't wait for the chance to purchase my Z10.)

It's the best technology around I can find for the best price anyone is offering. A win-win for me As an Economist, I also liking getting the best deals I can find too. Even if it all breaks down - I'm in for less than $200, so it's not much of a gamble for me. So far, it's all paid off in spades!

My Tab is a 'toilet tablet' now, for anyone bored enough to want to use it.

All the best in your decision - Let us know how things turn oot!

[PS: As further testament: I like the PB so much - I just took sat here for 1 hour to tell you a little about it and my experience That's how much fun it is! ]
    I too love my PB and would never trade it in for an Android or iPad. My big plusses: Bridge, true multitasking, smooth and intuitive OS, fantastic build quality. I'm a big fan and a big BB booster, but the lack of cross-platform video-chat app does make many people think twice, so I'm thrilled that Skype and ooVoo are on the way; I may even switch the ladies over to PB when OS10 shows up: we'll be able to videochat and use BBM, while they continue to Skype with the non-BB world.

It all depends on what the OP wants/needs a tablet to do; PB is a great piece of kit, and competes favorably (IMO) with other platforms, despite being nearly two years old, and will (hopefully) only get better once BB gains some traction in the market. I can certainly recommend it, as long as Skype/Netflix are not must-haves; best deal for the money available in my opinion.
    pirerman likes this.
    02-16-13 05:40 AM
    Yes, get a 32gb version for around $140-160 range or a 64gb version for around $175-200 if you can, but a 16gb model for $100-125 is a great deal as well. You will not regret anything except not buying it sooner or possibly not buying one with more memory. I used netflix briefly a time ago and found it not worth the money and there are free alternatives, never had a need for Skype and I have free voip home phone service, so no shortcomings with the Playbook for me, perfect size and everything I need or want works fine, great tablet at a great price and a MUST for ALL BlackBerry phone users.
    02-16-13 07:45 AM
    in my opinion its a no brainer at �130,it does what you need and more.even without a bb phone.ipad costs so much more but your not getting 3 to �400 more stuff or capability on ipad.there are sticking points for some people like no skype and a few top rated apps.you just have to write down what you want it for and see if it ticks those boxes.the hardware is second to none,its fast and has true multitasking.it has glitches like all tech from time to time but it beats all the others on value for money.at that price its worth just having just to see.you could soon sell it on for close to sale price.but I would say you will end up keeping it.
    02-16-13 08:04 AM
    ipad has no micro card slot or propper usb.the only thing you need to look at is can its dual core prossesor and 1 gb ram cope.yes it can.and bb10 in whatever form it comes in will increase the life cycle of this well made well specced and very affordable tablet.its not cheap because its 2 years old,its because rim messed up its release and didn't have all the functionality that people needed from the start.that should not detract from the fact it is 2 years old and still out performs or equals newer apple devices at highly inflated prices.and apple requires you to buy cables and other addons for extra functionality at over inflated prices.
    QERNB likes this.
    02-16-13 08:12 AM
    The size...the power under wifi and Internet tethering capabilities off your handset.
    Also the ability to make your phone a mouse and keyboard?
    Buying the Playbook from day one for me is a timeless marvel.
    02-16-13 08:18 AM
    I think it's a no brainer if you are into to quality devices but aren't one of those that says "I need an app for everything", and even then if you sideload, there are plenty of apps out there.

Case in point. I was once again wanting an android device and purchased a Lenovo 9" tab for $229. It has HDMI, mini usb. It's not a bad device, but it sure isn't the quality of the PB. I had purchased a second PB in December for my wife for $150. Right now the android tablet is on ebay, I think I'm going to have to spend some $$$ to have an android tablet that will.satisfy me as much as the PB has.

Not to mention that on our 6 hour trip home after I purchased it the Lenovo sat unused while I bridged the PB with my Bold. I still can't figure out how to tether the Bold to the android system. At the price point that you can get a PB (if you can find one), they just can't be beat - even though they have been on the market a very long time in technology terms.
    02-16-13 10:07 AM
    Honestly it does some of the work if u are not an "app" people
    It lacks big names like skype which is used by everyone in the world except crackberry members...
    but if you have extra money Nexus7 is really the best
    02-16-13 11:24 AM
73 123