Hi folks, I should mention i have a ipad 2 that I occasionally use. Sometimes I don't bring it with me because of its size. I see the 16gb playbook is 149.99 new at my local staples. I only use the ipad for documents reading, and browsing the web. I don't really care about anything else. I would like to know if this is worth buying, hows the battery life, does the emailing work over wifi? Does it need a sim card to work?

Thanks
    I use a 9900 as my main device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 11:52 PM
    YES it is worth buying, even at 599.00 price point.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-25-12 12:15 AM
    It's worth buying. I have an iPad, and I actually did a review on a recent Nosillacast podcast about why I thought the Playbook was a great choice for an iPad owner. Its main weakness, software availability, is not as big an issue, since you have an iPad as another option, It does some things better or different from the iPad.

Smaller size
    Lighter weight
    HDMI out - connect to a TV with a cheap cable
    Flash supported in the browser
    Better speakers
    Widescreen video

Email is great, you can get multiple accounts as well as Twitter direct message and Facebook messages in one app. Similarly, your contacts are pulled from everywhere without duplication.

Battery life is nowhere near as good as the iPad (a 7" tablet is necessarily a smaller battery).
    Last edited by bdegrande; 08-25-12 at 01:59 PM.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-25-12 12:31 AM
    I think you will be very very happy with your purchase. And being you have a 9900 you will be even happier ones you bridge them it will always you to use the 9900 as a 4g Internet connection. As well as using bbm true your playbook and so much more. I picked up the 16g playbook because it was $199 and my wife was always taking my android tablet so I planed to give her the playbook to hold her over till we had the money for a real tablet for her. Well she now has the Android tablet and I kept the playbook. Lol
    08-25-12 06:40 AM
    I love my PB. As far as the battery goes, it lasts longer than my 9810 does and I use it more. Downside is it takes forever to charge. All in all I love it and can't wait to bridge it with my BB10 if it ever gets released LOL
    08-25-12 06:44 AM
    There is no simple card needed.
    Keep in mind blackberry 10 will be out for the playbook sone.
    Maybe it's just me but I can run for close to 9hr on a full charge but I like my screen very dim
    08-25-12 06:46 AM
    There is no simple card needed.
    Keep in mind blackberry 10 will be out for the playbook sone.
    Maybe it's just me but I can run for close to 9hr on a full charge but I like my screen very dim
    08-25-12 06:47 AM
    Battery on my 32g PB lasts 8-10 hours. I use the rapid charging dock only it
    works fast!
    08-25-12 08:29 AM
    08-25-12 08:34 AM
    Forget the 16g, get the 64gig. They're running around $200.

No SIM, they are WiFI only. Won't do everything the iPad does, but then you already have one of those.

I easily get a full day of heavy use, and over a week on standby.
    08-25-12 08:45 AM
    Forget the 16g, get the 64gig. They're running around $200.

No SIM, they are WiFI only. Won't do everything the iPad does, but then you already have one of those.

I easily get a full day of heavy use, and over a week on standby.
    Alas in Canada we're still stuck at $279 at Staples for the 64gb. I'd be upgrading my 32gb if I could get it for $200.

To the original question, yes it should be a good deal for you.
    08-25-12 09:15 AM
    Hey everyone thanks for all the feedback, yea they have them here for 199 too im just going to pick one up. Im sure it will do me good!

thanks everyone will come back when I buy one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-25-12 09:59 AM
    Awesome! I love mine as well. I would recommend the rapid charger or rapid charging dock. Gets the job done fast. If you read epubs there are a couple of good readers in AppWorld (my personal favorite is Book Reader). Enjoy and be sure to let us know how you like it.
    08-25-12 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD