This may have been addressed elsewhere (probably has), but I'm wondering...

What if it gets to the worst : What if RIM is either split up, as some analysts predict, or it simply vanishes. What would happen to the Playbook, its OS and the availability of apps ?

I ask because I know next to nothing about the IT world. I do want to believe RIM will come out gloriously out of its current problems, but I wouldn't be in any position to bet on any outcome personally. So what if...

Who would manage the development/distribution/sales of QNX OS and apps ? Could it all stop there ? Or could some corporation buy out RIM'S patents and codes, take over the operation and continue running the show for the leftover owners ?

Or maybe, could a gang of underworld techno-anarchists decide to hack the heck out of the PB and make it the device for their Utopian Next Millennium ?...
    I personally like this second idea very much. First, get the PB to install and run some touchscreen version of Linux, and then be able to recompile and run all the open source programs out there...

I don't know. That may be technically completely impossible.
    But, in any case, I'd appreciate any informed opinion on the prospects for PB owners, if it comes to the worst for RIM.

Thanks.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 07-02-12 at 10:52 PM.
    07-02-12 10:44 PM
    If it happens that no one keeps the pb going, I might consider a phone with windows 8
    07-02-12 11:43 PM
    QNX is a standalone company. If RIM does get chopped up and sold into pieces, someone would buy them up. QNX has had a long life way before RIM acquired it. QNX is still doing rounds and considered a top tier OS for devices in the telematic and telemetry market.

I doubt we'd see smartphones and tablets developed, even if RIM got 80-90% of the way there.

QNX is proprietary development, so we would not see open-sourced development like we see with otherLinux-based platforms.

Sadly, PlayBook as we know it would cease to exist.
    07-03-12 12:00 AM
    This may have been addressed elsewhere (probably has), but I'm wondering...

What if it gets to the worst : What if RIM is either split up, as some analysts predict, or it simply vanishes. What would happen to the Playbook, its OS and the availability of apps ?

I ask because I know next to nothing about the IT world. I do want to believe RIM will come out gloriously out of its current problems, but I wouldn't be in any position to bet on any outcome personally. So what if...

Who would manage the development/distribution/sales of QNX OS and apps ? Could it all stop there ? Or could some corporation buy out RIM'S patents and codes, take over the operation and continue running the show for the leftover owners ?

Or maybe, could a gang of underworld techno-anarchists decide to hack the heck out of the PB and make it the device for their Utopian Next Millennium ?...
    I personally like this second idea very much. First, get the PB to install and run some touchscreen version of Linux, and then be able to recompile and run all the open source programs out there...

I don't know. That may be technically completely impossible.
    But, in any case, I'd appreciate any informed opinion on the prospects for PB owners, if it comes to the worst for RIM.

Thanks.
    I would rename your thread, "Likely Scenario".
    07-03-12 08:43 AM
    QNX is proprietary development, so we would not see open-sourced development like we see with otherLinux-based platforms.
    that's too bad. i was hoping the Playbook's source code would be released similar to when HP killed off the Touchpad and released WebOS' code.
    07-03-12 11:14 AM
    that's too bad. i was hoping the Playbook's source code would be released similar to when HP killed off the Touchpad and released WebOS' code.
    Indeed. The PB is definitely a good tablet hardware-wise. If RIM went down, the best scenario would be to free its possibilities software-wise.
    07-03-12 11:25 AM
    Indeed. The PB is definitely a good tablet hardware-wise. If RIM went down, the best scenario would be to free its possibilities software-wise.
    In such a case, I'd like to see if someone could port Windows 8 mobile to it.
    07-03-12 11:34 AM
    Don't spend a lot of your time worrying about things YOU can't control.

Especially when your investment is only a couple more for hundred bucks.

What will be will be.
    Chaddface likes this.
    07-03-12 02:21 PM
    Don't spend a lot of your time worrying about things YOU can't control.

Especially when your investment is only a couple more for hundred bucks.

What will be will be.
    I'm very attached to the idea that I can spend my time thinking (not exactly "worrying" in this case) about what I want.
    Plus "only a couple hundred bucks" is not exactly pocket change for me at the moment. More like an investment.

Thanks anyways.
    07-03-12 02:39 PM
    OP -- Can't you upgrade to ICS. I have the tab2 which shipped with ICS. A great $250 tab!
    07-03-12 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD