Well there is what worries me.

I heard that having you Playbook plugged to electricity when it is full for more than 10 hours can lower the life of the battery.

I remember i has in 2% at around 6:00 PM so I started charging it, because I was so tired I went to sleep and forgot to unplug my Playbook I noticed it was charging around 4:00 PM of the next day .

Maybe I am being crazy but I think that the battery life is lower now (went from 99 to 78 after 2:30 hours of watching embed videos).

Anyone knows if charging battery to much affect it?

thanks

Will
    09-02-11 04:39 PM
    I don't believe that leaving your electronics plugged into electricity will lower the life of your battery. I leave my MacBook Pro on for days at time and with no degradation of battery power when I need it. The same holds true for my Xoom and PB.
    kmflame likes this.
    09-02-11 04:43 PM
    Pretty much all devices with Lithium batteries are "smart" about charging, and do not continue applying power to the battery after it's full. In fact, to do otherwise would quickly destroy the battery, and possibly be dangerous as well (risk of fires).

You can tell whether the PlayBook is still actually charging (generally) by looking at the battery icon in the system tray (status bar). If it's a lightning bolt, it's still charging. If it's a plug symbol, it's done charging. (This isn't perfectly true, as it will show as a plug symbol even while charging, if the charging current level is quite low. Generally that's not the case unless you're using a very poor charger, including charging via USB from your PC.)

With the PlayBook, you should not have to remember to do anything special to protect the battery, other than never discharging it fully prior to long-term storage. If you're going to put the thing on the shelf and not power it up, make sure you've got at least 40% charge (specific value not too important) and check it every month to make sure it's not down near 0%, or that WILL shorten the battery life, or even destroy it (if the voltage drops far below 3.2V).
    kmflame likes this.
    09-02-11 04:50 PM
    Pretty much all devices with Lithium batteries are "smart" about charging, and do not continue applying power to the battery after it's full. In fact, to do otherwise would quickly destroy the battery, and possibly be dangerous as well (risk of fires).
    Yep. This right here. Nowadays all electronics come with a smart chip in the charging wire. So once fully charged. It sends enough juice to power the phone itself.

So you're just fine.

Edit: Well not the wire. But the part that goes into the socket.
    09-03-11 06:29 PM
    i drain mine down to 10 percent usually before putting it overnight on charger.by the next morning its fine.but if you leave it on charger for lets say 2 days straight,then of course it won't function correctly.an overnight charge is the only time i charge the battery.i don't do charging during the day.
    09-03-11 07:18 PM
    It won't harm the battery to leave it plugged in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 07:27 PM
    If it didn't overheat and burn your house down, you're probably OK.
    09-03-11 07:44 PM
    ... but if you leave it on charger for lets say 2 days straight,then of course it won't function correctly.
    This is incorrect information. Leaving it on the charger for 2 days straight will do nothing bad to the tablet or its battery.
    09-03-11 07:46 PM
    Even my car chargers won't overcharge my phone. Once its charged the charging signal disappears and the battery temp drops to normal. I suspect it may be the device that cuts off the current delivered to the battery, rather than the charger. Either way, I top off all my devices whenever I can. Even after a year or more of heavy use I don't see much dropoff.
    09-03-11 08:25 PM
    It won't harm the battery to leave it plugged in.

This^.....
    Modern anything won't let you overcharge.

09-03-11 08:35 PM
    Since the first day I purchased it (March), I have left the PB in the charger every night. There has been NO problem to leave the PB in the standard charger daily. I still get 100% charge every day.
    09-03-11 08:53 PM
    If batteries cannot be overcharged then why do laptop batteries die quickly if the laptop is constantly plugged in?
    09-10-11 06:18 PM
    If batteries cannot be overcharged then why do laptop batteries die quickly if the laptop is constantly plugged in?
    Depends on the battery type. The LI batteries in the bb's can be damaged if never taken off the charger with the device turned on. The constant "top off" creates some kind of oxidation that will shorten the lifespan.
    09-10-11 06:36 PM
    What kills laptop batteries is the heat rather than leaving them plugged in. With the amount of head they put out its very easy to cook the battery and leave it completely useless. Ideally if youre going to use a laptop for a long time plugged in you should let the battery charge then take it out and just run from the mains.

As for leaving it charging overnight, the pb will stop charging when its full so no problems there. If youre still concerned though use a bb phone charger instead. They only put out around 800ma depending on the version compared to the 1800ma pb charger so will take twice as long (you'll notice that if you have the screen on with a bb charger plugged in the icon just shows it as plugged in as it doesnt have enough juice to charge aswell, but once you put it in standby it does charge slowly )
    09-11-11 04:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD