The only reason that you wouldn't buy a new iPad is if you had some hatred for the company.... If you chose an android with a new tegra 3 processor you would have a tablet that still was worse than an iPad 2.
    03-11-12 08:10 PM
    I already have an HP Touchpad and an iPhone4 so dont need a larger tablet or an additional iOS device. I would probably get a Win8 tablet, or for fun, the Galaxy Note. Cant wait to see the next gen PlayBooks, though. Hopefully more RAM with them.
    03-11-12 08:16 PM
    The only reason that you wouldn't buy a new iPad is if you had some hatred for the company.... If you chose an android with a new tegra 3 processor you would have a tablet that still was worse than an iPad 2.
    In your mind. I'm sure there are several reasons. I won't, wouldn't because of cost,no flash, closed system,it's Jobs way or the highway. I don't like the UI. I just don't like it. Yep tons of apps but I still don't care.

Great pad, just not for me.
    03-11-12 08:20 PM
    For me.... I would not buy any other tablet... I will stick with my laptop for home and of course my phone, by my side always.
    Gouk likes this.
    03-11-12 08:27 PM
    Down the road I would probably upgrade to a new PlayBook, we have 2 already and they do all of what we need anyway. From my perspective the PB can only get better. Let's face it, RIM might be the only tablet maker that has never made a PC before, and yet they have the only tablet capable of running 2 operating systems. How cool is that??
    03-11-12 08:38 PM
    I would still be using a laptop. PlayBook does 97% of what I was using a laptop for.
    03-11-12 08:41 PM
    I have both.

Buy Android if you like to tweek your OS interface. It has unlimited opportunities for customization.

Buy iPad if you want stability and working out of the box experience.

Both platforms have lots apps, can't go wrong with either.
    03-11-12 08:52 PM
    Well, I wasn't planning on getting a tablet, but the hype built up seeing all of the videos of NFS and Tetris and TAT demos and seeing the power of QNX that I got swept up and preordered a PlayBook. I'll defend myself in this by saying it wasn't just the hype that led me to get the PlayBook, I looked at what I would use it for and what it could do and decided it would be worth the money.

With that said, in a world where there's no PlayBook I probably wouldn't have a tablet, but since this is assuming I'd still get one I'll play along. I'd probably start by looking at an iPad. I'd remember when I used the original iPad, and had to adjust my position every few minutes because it was too heavy to be comfortable. Unfortunately in this world I've never had anything else, so I would assume that's the norm, and would instead dismiss it on the basis that I have an iPod Touch that I haven't turned on in two years.

I'd next look at an Android tablet, and would probably like the ability to do whatever you want with it, but since I'd still be on CrackBerry due to my phone I'd be in touch with the pros and cons and know that viruses and malware exist for Android (yeah, I know I probably wouldn't download any, but I'd still worry) and by knowing it's Google I'd assume right away that I would never get any privacy or security.

After that I'd check out Windows Tablets. I'd automatically dismiss the ones with hard drives (I can manage to break a hard drive on a laptop acting as a desktop in a matter of months, so I don't even want to imagine how little time a hard drive would last if it's being banged around a lot by design.). All in all with these I'd see little purpose in having this since I already have a laptop...

And then, to be honest, I'd probably buy a TouchPad if I had to buy a tablet. I can't honestly say why it would be better than anything else, but I like the UI and I like supporting the "dying" companies (if I feel they're good enough to deserve saving ). Also, at $99 for a tablet it's hard to go wrong!
    03-11-12 09:07 PM
    I'd wait for Windows 8. For me, iOS is far to restrictive, and judging by the Motorola Android phone I used to own, I reckon that Android tablets are something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Something like the IdeaPad Yoga or perhaps a Windows 8 EeePad Transformer, but definitely NOT Android.
    03-12-12 04:13 PM
    Windows tablet. Would be a Windows phone if there were no BlackBerry phones.
    03-12-12 05:56 PM
    Droid. Apple is over-priced and way over hyped. Besides, every time I've seriously considered an Apple in the past I've started noticing a lot of cracked screens.

I have nothing against Apple other than the 3 items above.
    03-12-12 06:05 PM
    iPad for me, as I would have a use for several audio software/hardware adapters that aren't available for an Android tablet.
    03-12-12 06:11 PM
    I would probably try the samsung. It was the tablet I was leaning towards when i got my pb.

As an aside i had my first actual hands on experience with an ipad on Friday. A lady at work has one and her assistant was trying to find a way to do what her boss had requested but she had never used a tablet so i was trying to help. admittedly i also wanted to see what the ipad was like. I have to say i was disappointed. It seemed counterintuitive to have to push a button to close an app - although the response time to open the apps was fine. Having no bezel to swipe was a pain too. I kept trying to bring up another menu lol.
    That doesn't even close the app, it's still running in the background, although many are fairly limited. To close an app you are in, you have to hit the Home button to get out of the app, double-tap the Home button to see running apps, press and hold an icon to get the little - signs and then touch the - sign to close the app. You may also have to scroll through several screens to find the app you want to close since it only shows 4 or 5 at a time. I believe there's a way to see other running apps with a 4 or 5 finger swipe up, but that's even less intuitive and you still can't close the current app without going back Home.
    03-12-12 06:16 PM
    I had a NookColor before the Playbook came out. I'd still get a NookColor if there wasn't a Playbook.
    03-12-12 07:20 PM
    prob the asus transformer.
    03-12-12 07:22 PM
    First it would have to be close to the same size as the PB, otherwise no reason not to have an ultrabook that does much more than any tablet out there. Second, it would be a Windows tablet. A 7" Windows 8 tablet will be a force to be reckoned with in the productivity and Enterprise market. With no PB, it's all I would consider for work or play. IMO
    03-12-12 07:37 PM
    If there was no PB I wouldnt own a tablet. Its like nothing else out there. I also wouldn't own a tablet if RIM didn't drop their prices on the PB. For the current price I don't see why anyone would buy anything else. Although I do have an iPhone, so I get to use iOS, just on a 3.5" screen.
    03-13-12 01:35 AM
    I wouldn't own a tablet if RIM didn't drop the price and two, there was no playbook. I bought a iPad2 for my mom and its just chilling. Maybe I'd play with that but from the 2 weeks I did play with it, I wasn't really impressed with it. It felt too limited and it was too large to carry with me without a bag or something. Playbook is small enough so that I can carry it like a journal.

My tablet has been sitting at home for the past few weeks. My class load has gotten much heavier in the final weeks of the quarter so the tablet just wasn't cutting it anymore. I've been carry my notebook to class and wish I had an ultrabook type like the Asus or a Macbook Air. I may just end up selling my PB for one of those because its just easier and quicker to work on.
    03-13-12 02:41 AM
    I will choose HP touch pad, because I am really looking for tab that can multitask, but if windows 8 came first before hp touch pad and playbook, I may buy windows tablet.
    03-13-12 03:31 AM
    Wouldn't buy one. $199 for a tablet that syncs with my phone is what sold me.
    03-13-12 03:59 AM
    Now that I have a PB I don't want to live in a world w/ out a PB.
    Its everthing in a tablet I wanted which android couldn't provide me.
    03-13-12 08:30 PM
    Sorry double post
    03-13-12 08:31 PM
    I'd probably go with an iPad.

I buy things that work for me, I don't buy products just cause they're made by one company, or avoid other products just cause they're made by another company.

I use BlackBerry smartphones because I find that their form factor and OS tend to be friendlier to a heavy communicator. I found the iPhone touchscreen and iOS to be easier to use, but less communication friendly and more media consumption/entertainment/app focused.

But for those very same reasons, I really dig the iPad, because those are the very things that I do on a tablet.

I haven't had enough experience with an Android tablet to really make a comment on those.
    03-13-12 09:12 PM
    I went with an Archos 5 for my alternate tablet. Just can't beat carrying around half a terabyte of materials. Unfortunately, it's on Donut with only 3 apps downloaded (curse Android Market for not allowing downloads without having an android phone number). Lucky thing I do have the Playbook to fulfil all other needs. In a world of no Playbook, I'll make do with the Archos 5 (actually have the Archos 48).
    03-13-12 10:02 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD