So...I'd been unsuccessfully trying to download podcasts. Invariably, the podcast would begin downloading and then go into "pending" status before completion.

Yesterday, I decided to power the PB off completely and then back on again. After that, I attempted a podcast download. Voila! I was able to download a bunch of them with no problem. This wasn't the first time I'd powered it off and on, but this time did the trick.

We all know the OS is buggy right now, but it's not an issue for me. The PB does what I need it to do beautifully and this forum helps address any quirks.

I have confidence in the potential of this machine and think it will seriously rock before too long. In the meantime, I'm happy I own it and have no problems waiting for improvements.

Just wanted to add a positive thread, guys...to counteract the whining and complaining.
    06-01-11 12:45 AM
    I've gotten into the habit of restarting it at night when I put it on the charger. Haven't seen as many quirks since I started that.
    06-01-11 12:47 AM
    There are very many things that RIM need to address with this device. These include fixing what's wrong as well as giving us the functionality they promised would be available from day one. I just hope this does not end up like the Storm 1 which never was fully taken care of and was left to rot when Storm 2 came out....which was left to rot when OS6 came out. Now I hear rumors of a PB2....no..not again RIM!
    06-01-11 12:49 AM
    Good habit, for now.
    06-01-11 12:51 AM
    I think RIM is aware of the deficiencies and I think they'll address them as quickly as they can.

Disappointments can be avoided by doing research before buying. I knew the state of the PB before purchasing. I knew what I was buying. For me, it's all good. Sorry you don't feel the same way.
    06-01-11 12:55 AM
    There are very many things that RIM need to address with this device. These include fixing what's wrong as well as giving us the functionality they promised would be available from day one. I just hope this does not end up like the Storm 1 which never was fully taken care of and was left to rot when Storm 2 came out....which was left to rot when OS6 came out. Now I hear rumors of a PB2....no..not again RIM!
    ya i hear ya on this one. Simply put - I am happy with what the playbook 'could' be hopefully one day, and hopefully soon. I am not sure how much patience i have though. I give it two updates from now, if most my concerns aren't resolved and if the playbook isn't much more than it is now, sad to say, but i will probably jump ship. I'm tired of waiting and waiting... for goodness sakes, we waited since september for this thing.... and then they deliver half baked???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 12:56 AM
    The "PB2" really shouldn't be called a "2", it's misleading and just a 10" version of what we already have from the rumors so far.

ewakil12 likes this.
    06-01-11 12:57 AM
    I think RIM is aware of the deficiencies and I think they'll address them as quickly as they can.

Disappointments can be avoided by doing research before buying. I knew the state of the PB before purchasing. I knew what I was buying. For me, it's all good. Sorry you don't feel the same way.
    i researched since september. Sorry.... the things like not having email right away is not what gets me frustrated. I knew about this before hand due to research. however... we didn't know it would be missing auto correct... bridge would be super buggy and that "full web experience" would be missing things like silverlight.... and many other "surprises" that have been over exhausted in many a threads....

06-01-11 01:01 AM
    Will the pb2 have good software or will it be beta as well?
    With present condition 10" pb would make much cut. Current pb got some comparative advantage because of size and size only.
    06-01-11 01:02 AM
    The "PB2" really shouldn't be called a "2", it's misleading and just a 10" version of what we already have from the rumors so far.

Agreed, it would be great to change the name of the blog post stating it as a PB2. Unless they are only coming out with a 10" Playbook when they come out with the new 7". It would then technically be a Playbook 2. We'll just have to wait and see, it is however, a rumor.

To the main post, is there a auto on/off function on the Playbook?

06-01-11 01:15 AM
    "To the main post, is there a auto on/off function on the Playbook?"

There's a Power Off icon on the home screen, or hold down the power button and select power off.
    06-01-11 01:24 AM
    Will the pb2 have good software or will it be beta as well?
    With present condition 10" pb would make much cut. Current pb got some comparative advantage because of size and size only.
    It will probably run the same OS as the 7" and by its release date, hopefully, RIM would have added all the missing features to the current OS. So, there is a chance it will not longer be a beta and the OS will be more polished "by that date" which is probably 8 to 10 months from now.
    06-01-11 01:27 AM
    I think you guys will be impressed with the updates with the launch of the playbook in June. Of course they can't launch without some meaningful update. It is not that they don't have the technology to fix things, but they are surely not going to roll out a new os every week to satisfy the update button pushers. They promised the playbook to be the best business tablet on the market with one of the best browsing experiences on the market. Do you believe that they believe it is finished? RIM Has more than you and I do to lose. Our 500-700 dollar purchase is nothing in comparison to the billion or so they have spent to get this far.

The future of the company is riding on QNX and the satisfaction of their existing customers as well as future customers is the only way they will succeed. Do you believe that .1868 is the last version of the playbook os we will see? Like I say, I am sure we can expect a substantial os update just before the UK launch. Get your button pushing finger ready...
    06-01-11 01:31 AM
    Wonderful
    06-01-11 01:33 AM
    I wonder how many of you have realized that June launch will be internationally. That means in other words that the PB should be able to support many languages (main european languages, Spanish and Portuguese for Latin America, asian alphabets etc.) That is a major change and I am sure RIM is rushing to have all that in place before June 19th when they start launching overseas.
    06-01-11 07:31 AM

Most of us bought the BlackBerry PlayBook knowing it was a first release on a solid hardware and operating system platform. We accept those facts but we need to hold Research In Motion accountable for improving the functionality and use experience for a device with so much potential. Crippled Adobe Reader and Kobo Reader software from "partners" is hardly something I would expect from such a highly regarded commercial enterprise like Research In Motion. Why in Hades do I need a PC to download books from Kobo and why is there no Adobe Digital Edition client for the BlackBerry PlayBook? Nonsense. And all this chatter about BlackBerry PlayBook 2 needs to be thrown back at Research In Motion before we are left with "limited legacy support". If the NDK was available by now maybe we would have some high-quality applications instead of "coming soon, coming soon."
    06-01-11 08:55 AM
    In defense of us carpers, a lot of the frustration stems from the fact that the current build lacks basic functionality, stuff like auto-correct, spell check, backing up, file management, that has been a part of the Blackberry OS for years. Its one thing to say QNX hasn't hit its stride yet, but another thing to say its not even at a level of Phone OS's, circa 2005. Of course QNX is potentially much more powerful than anything RIM has marketed before, but it is hard to wait.
    06-01-11 10:23 AM
    Most of us bought the BlackBerry PlayBook knowing it was a first release on a solid hardware and operating system platform. We accept those facts but we need to hold Research In Motion accountable for improving the functionality and use experience for a device with so much potential. Crippled Adobe Reader and Kobo Reader software from "partners" is hardly something I would expect from such a highly regarded commercial enterprise like Research In Motion. Why in Hades do I need a PC to download books from Kobo and why is there no Adobe Digital Edition client for the BlackBerry PlayBook? Nonsense. And all this chatter about BlackBerry PlayBook 2 needs to be thrown back at Research In Motion before we are left with "limited legacy support". If the NDK was available by now maybe we would have some high-quality applications instead of "coming soon, coming soon."
    I downloaded Kobo books straight to my PB from the Kobo app so I don't know where you're getting the PC stuff from. The books I loaded were free so perhaps the retail ones require a PC?
    06-01-11 10:59 AM

I completely agree. I dont get why blogs call it the Playbook 2. By that logic, the Galaxy Tab is on 3 or 4. Just call it a 10" Playbook already.
    06-01-11 11:48 AM
    Playbook-XL
    howarmat likes this.
    06-01-11 11:50 AM
    The OP was trying to help, not cause more tear's, we all know we have to wait until the next update. Repeating and repeating something doesn't make it true. The update is coming. WAIT!
    06-01-11 11:57 AM
    I downloaded Kobo books straight to my PB from the Kobo app so I don't know where you're getting the PC stuff from. The books I loaded were free so perhaps the retail ones require a PC?
    Hey I would appreciate your knowledge downloading free books from Kobo because I have not figured out how to access them other than to sign-in which requires a WiFi connection. However, that still leaves the Adobe Digital Edition encumbered books; I found a way to remove the DRM but I would have preferred to remain completely non-circumventionist.
    06-01-11 11:59 AM
    I have not figured out how to access them other than to sign-in which requires a WiFi connection
    Uhm, that would be the way. How did you expect to get them to the playbook if not through wifi or through a PC; Magic??
    06-01-11 02:54 PM
    Uhm, that would be the way. How did you expect to get them to the playbook if not through wifi or through a PC; Magic??
    I mean is there a way to read the books without having to be signed into Kobo bookstore. As in can I download the book to the BlackBerry PlayBook to read "off-line"? If I am at a campground I doubt WiFi will be available yet I might want to read the Iliad or something.
    06-03-11 05:27 PM
    i researched since september. Sorry.... the things like not having email right away is not what gets me frustrated. I knew about this before hand due to research. however... we didn't know it would be missing auto correct... bridge would be super buggy and that "full web experience" would be missing things like silverlight.... and many other "surprises" that have been over exhausted in many a threads....

I have a desktop PC, 2 laptops between work and home, a netbook and now a Playbook that I use to do everything from email to watching hulu and netflix and streaming music to different devices throughout the house and I have silverlight installed on zero devices. For me - the PB does offer a full web experience.

Other than OS's - I dont let Microsoft install anything on my PC's. What does silverlight offer that would create a full web experience?
    06-03-11 05:39 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD