I just purchased a playbook in anticipation of purchasing the 9930. However, i cannot get the internet connection to work because the PB keeps seeing my home linksys router as a hotspot and will not let me connect to the internet until the i log into the hotspot website. Of course, there is no website and i cannot get internet connection. The pb is defintely linked to the router and the router is definitely connected to the internet. Any help would be appreciated. My laptop is not having this problem.
    08-05-11 08:08 AM
    For your router problem: Contact the router manual, and if necessary call the maker's CS.
    08-05-11 08:14 AM
    I guess i did not explain well enough. It is not a router problem. I have 2 laptops and an ipad that connect to the router and internet perfectly. The issue is only the PB, it keeps thinking the router is a hotspot and it is only my home router. As a result it tries to bring me to a website to get permission to log onto the hotspot and of coursr it never connects because it is not a hotspot.
    08-05-11 08:28 AM
    Try turning off the wifi on the PlayBook, then turning it back on. If the hotspot box opens again, click cancel. Then open wifi under Options and select your home router for connection.
    08-05-11 08:37 AM
    I think I have the exact same problem. Just bought my playbook and it's hung on the initial setup. After discussion with Tech Support they asked me to ping google... no luck. The PB is connected to the router, I can ping other computers/devices on the network, but no internet... what gives? BTW, the Tech Support rep basically told me to return the PB and get an ipad...
    08-05-11 09:09 AM
    Any sort of authentication or encryption? (Any password, or do you just find and use your router)

If you don't, might be a good time to do it. I think the hotspot thing only happens on "Open" routers.
    08-05-11 10:05 AM
    Your point is a good one. At my apartment, my router has a password and the pb gets onto the internet fine. Here in the house, the router is not password protected and i have the hotspot problem. The issue now is that whenever i go to my router's ip address, the default one for linksys routers, it opens to my Verizon modem. When Verizon installed their modem recently, it seems to have picked up the ip address of the linksys router and now i have no idea how to access the router software to set up a password. Sigh.
    08-06-11 07:13 PM
    Is this a general security feature of the PB? Assume that null authentication means wifi hotspot?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    08-06-11 07:17 PM
    Your point is a good one. At my apartment, my router has a password and the pb gets onto the internet fine. Here in the house, the router is not password protected and i have the hotspot problem. The issue now is that whenever i go to my router's ip address, the default one for linksys routers, it opens to my Verizon modem. When Verizon installed their modem recently, it seems to have picked up the ip address of the linksys router and now i have no idea how to access the router software to set up a password. Sigh.
    I honestly believe it has to do with your network being open. Just google "how to password protect wireless" you will find a plethora of sites to guide you. It's easy! Don't give up!

Best of luck!
    08-06-11 07:27 PM
    I suggest you turn of the radios on all your othr devices and see if he crapbook connects then. It may be reading the two way comms of those devices wrong. If this doesn't work consider it your welcome present from RIM.
    08-06-11 07:55 PM
    Is this a general security feature of the PB? Assume that null authentication means wifi hotspot?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Yes, if the PB is connected to an open wifi it will assume that you may be connecting to a hotspot and will launch the browser in case you need authenticate to access the hotspot. Otherwise, you just get a message in the browser that says something like, "Your BlackBerry PlayBook is now connected to the internet."
    08-06-11 11:00 PM
    It probably is the open network issue. I will have to bring a pc computer to the house here and do a prompt cmd /ipconfig to find out what ip address the verizon people set my linksys router to. The verizon dsl modem default ip address is the same as the linksys default ip address and verizon changed my linksys routers ip address to avoid a conflict.

Strange that the PB reads an open network as a hotspot. No?
    08-06-11 11:02 PM
    TBone, is there a way to get the pb to connect to the internet even though it opens the browser? It seems the pb wont connect to the internet until the hotspot issue stops occurring even though i cancel the browser.
    08-06-11 11:25 PM
    I have had this same issue and I usually click cancel when it asks to check hotspot website and my internet still works, I ran on a hidden network with mac address filtering and no encryption. How ever the hotspot issue is annoying so I turned on wpa2 personal encryption and the hotspot dialog never showed up again.
    08-07-11 12:15 AM
    Turns out my PB has a more significant problem. It is definitely connected to the router and the internet is definitely working. It is just that the PB will not get onto any websites. My iPad is working perfectly and my gf's Mac laptop is working perfectly. Both are wireless. There is no reason the PB through the wireless connection should also not be working. Just some weirdness which i am unable to resolve. The wireless options show that the PB has an ip address and is connected to the router, so it is not the connection that is the problem. Sad and ironic that i have to use my iPad to post this.
    08-07-11 08:26 AM
    TBone, is there a way to get the pb to connect to the internet even though it opens the browser? It seems the pb wont connect to the internet until the hotspot issue stops occurring even though i cancel the browser.
    I opened up my wifi to test this. When I attempt to connect I get a Hotspot Login pop up window. If I click OK, the browser comes up and I get a webpage that says "Your BlackBerry device is now connected to the internet." I then wiped the connection and tried to connect again. This time I cancelled the Hotspot Login window. I then launched the browser and I was connected to the internet. So, I don't know what the problem may be. I know others have had issues where it seems the PB did not play nice with their particular router. My suggestion would be to find an open hotspot somewhere and see if you can connect there. That way you can determine if it is a faulty PB.
    08-07-11 04:05 PM
    Headed to Starbucks in a few minutes. Will check if it works there.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.963006,-72.184549
    08-08-11 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD