Now I'm the stupidist one here and even I know that you can buy refilled laser cartridges. They've been available since cleopatra was a young lad!
    Wow, that asp must have bit off more than it could chew!
    03-24-13 05:52 PM
    Canada is renown for being steadfast in remaining due north of the entire U.S.
    Shamedly, my full length downcoat is Northface (U.S. Company ), however my gorgeous seal coat is 100% Canadian (probably because no one else is allowed to kill them anymore; mine is second hand, so proably older than most users of this site ;
    I adore brandy
    I fantasize about pasties
    Snow is fine as long as I don't have to shovel it, it doesn't turn into slush and it politely disappears right after Christmas
    So donate away
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-24-13 06:00 PM
    Hi all,
    My real question here is can people please tell me which printer they have that works well with the playbook, preferably without the need for an app because some apps work for some people and not for others.
    As I await the delivery of my 2nd playbook, I find I need yet another printer.
    I just bought one in November from Staples, a Lexmark 'all in one', only to find it does not work with our playbooks. I even phoned the company and tried their google chrome andriod app with no luck. Staples won't take it back because more than 30 days so I can try with the company or try to sell to a friend or maybe one of those small computer shops on College Street in Toronto, if they do that.
    My real question here is what I. Said at first: can people please tell me which printer they have that works well with the playbook without having any app. Many thanks

There are sideloadable (Android) print apps from Canon, Kodak and HP, and that's what I've come across so far over at Good E-Reader website. They might be worth a shot, but they may or may not work. There is also the Printershare app and PrintHand app from the same site. There may be more apps, but it looks like whatever you find, you'll have to sideload.

*edit: oops I guess I have no suggestions as to what printer to buy. Maybe take along all these apps on your Playbook to the store and ask if you can try to print something, then just run each app and see which one works.
    Last edited by BennyX; 03-24-13 at 06:15 PM.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-24-13 06:05 PM
    I have EPSON WF 3540 all in one printer which is wireless.
    I use the epsonconnect service and the Emal Print service and it works perfectly. With that email print service you can print from any where and from any device and even control who are allowed to print.
    03-24-13 08:11 PM
    There are sideloadable (Android) print apps from Canon, Kodak and HP, and that's what I've come across so far over at Good E-Reader website.
    Maybe take along all these apps on your Playbook to the store and ask if you can try to print something, then just run each app and see which one works.
    This is an excellent idea except for one thing: apps can require a bit of fiddling with before they work, which you can't do while you're standing in the store so there would be no way to know if the app was the problem or not.
    03-25-13 06:58 AM
    This is an excellent idea except for one thing: apps can require a bit of fiddling with before they work, which you can't do while you're standing in the store so there would be no way to know if the app was the problem or not.
    Just stick with the 5520. Plug it into a power supply, load the cartridges, turn it on and let it run the self test routine, press the wifi button and enter your router passcode when it asks for it. A couple of seconds later it will connect to your network and be available to all devices on your home network.

Then visit hp eprint website, register as a user (free), enter your printer serial number, choose your desired email address for it ie [email protected] and violla,

You can now print from any device on your home network through wifi and email any document, photograph or whatever from wherever you are in the world from any device that can connect to the web and send emails. Takes about 5mins in total.

The hardest part of all this procedure is remembering to make sure you remove the printer from the box before connecting to a mains power supply. Operating the printer without removing it from the box first can cause overheating problem and make increase the risk of fire.

Simple yes!!!!!!!
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-25-13 07:40 AM
    Just stick with the 5520. Plug it into a power supply, load the cartridges, turn it on and let it run the self test routine, press the wifi button and enter your router passcode when it asks for it.
    Well, congratulate me - my HP 5520 arrived today and so did my NIB 64G playbook
    However, my router doesn't have a password!!??
    I don't have a password for my router
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-27-13 09:48 PM
    Why don't you have a password? Did you forget it? What type of router do you have?
    03-28-13 06:51 AM
    However, my router doesn't have a password!!??
    I don't have a password for my router
    Hmmm. Don't see why you have to access the router to add something to your network unless the printer has to change some settings (highly unusual). I'm thinking that the "password" S_O_M was referring to is your network security code (WEP key or WPA passcode) if your wifi network is secured. You have to know that. If it is your router, and you have not changed username/password, there are default ones for each manufacturer. Just google your router model number.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-28-13 07:05 AM
    Hmmm. Don't see why you have to access the router to add something to your network unless the printer has to change some settings (highly unusual). I'm thinking that the "password" S_O_M was referring to is your network security code (WEP key or WPA passcode) if your wifi network is secured. You have to know that. If it is your router, and you have not changed username/password, there are default ones for each manufacturer. Just google your router model number.
    You can't directly access your router by using the printer now can you? Well I can't anyway I have to use my pc. The printer will indicate enter network password on its screen and when you enter it correctly guess what, you access your router and therefore your network. No access to router, no access to network. Simple eh.

Enjoy your new acquisitions!
    castoridae likes this.
    03-28-13 08:03 AM
    Yes, router controls the network. That is conceded. I think we are talking apples and oranges or maybe pasties and pitas but the router itself is password protected to get into the configuration settings albeit from your PC. I don't think the OP wants to do that. I think the confusion is with the term "router passcode", which I think is the network security passcode that will allow the printer on the network. So that is known if a PB is on the network. Nothing to panic about...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-28-13 08:29 AM
    Yes, router controls the network. That is conceded. I think we are talking apples and oranges or maybe pasties and pitas but the router itself is password protected to get into the configuration settings albeit from your PC. I don't think the OP wants to do that. I think the confusion is with the term "router passcode", which I think is the network security passcode that will allow the printer on the network. So that is known if a PB is on the network. Nothing to panic about...
    But to keep things even simpler like me! If he types in his network access password his printer will work. If he types in his router access password it won't work. We'll it might work but he wouldn't know because his printer OS is not configured to accept and display the router OS information or manipulate it. Success will always be achieved through simplicity! Bit like me really.
    03-28-13 08:47 AM
    All of the ISP provided routers I have used list the SSID and network password somewhere on the router. If you used a password to connect the PB it would be the same password for the printer.
    03-28-13 09:25 AM
    You can't directly access your router by using the printer now can you? Well I can't anyway I have to use my pc. The printer will indicate enter network password on its screen and when you enter it correctly guess what, you access your router and therefore your network. No access to router, no access to network. Simple eh. Enjoy your new acquisitions!
    Okey dokey! -now I gotcha - yes I absolutely have a password to access my wifi. I misunderstood when you said router password. BTW: my IP is Rogers And they supplied some cheap thing that I'm forced to rent from them.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-28-13 11:32 AM
    Okey dokey! -now I gotcha - yes I absolutely have a password to access my wifi. I misunderstood when you said router password. BTW: my IP is Rogers And they supplied some cheap thing that I'm forced to rent from them.
    Only one question left to ask then my friend. Does it work?
    03-28-13 11:52 AM
    Only one question left to ask then my friend. Does it work?
    Well It's still in the box - my 64G playbook arrived the same day, so guess which one is getting all the attention will hook it tomorrow and let you know.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-28-13 01:09 PM
    I have a similar HP. The print quality is great but those 564 ink cartridges run out faster then any other cartridges I have used.
    03-28-13 01:25 PM
    Your printer!

Congrats on your new PlayBook.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-28-13 01:26 PM
    Well It's still in the box - my 64G playbook arrived the same day, so guess which one is getting all the attention will hook it tomorrow and let you know.
    Now I knew that you would get the difficult part of my instructions wrong, everyone does. Well all I can say is that if you don't take it out of the box before plugging it in and using it, make sure you live close to your local fire station and don't drink brandy when you go near it.
    castoridae likes this.
    03-28-13 02:28 PM
    Your printer!

Congrats on your new PlayBook.
    Is it just me or do you keep changing your avatar
    03-28-13 02:30 PM
    First time. I seen that you have changed yours everyday this week so I figured it was time to change mine. I have to keep up with the Jones are in this case sad_old_man.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-28-13 03:06 PM
    I have a similar HP. The print quality is great but those 564 ink cartridges run out faster then any other cartridges I have used.
    Well, the Lexmark I bought in December wants black ink already and I don't print that much. Time to make friends with the Island Ink store !!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-28-13 11:07 PM
    Now I knew that you would get the difficult part of my instructions wrong, everyone does. Well all I can say is that if you don't take it out of the box before plugging it in and using it, make sure you live close to your local fire station and don't drink brandy when you go near it.
    That's what I get for skipping ahead in the steps!!
    03-28-13 11:17 PM
    Mmmmmmmm why do I suddenly feel that I need to make another trip to the cellar.

How does, Pappy Van Winkle's 23-Year-Old, or Black Maple Hill 16-Year-Old Small Batch sound to you. Maybe perhaps both, but you can have the chocolate.
    OP, HP ePrint. Commonly available.

But enough of such trivialities. Back to liquor.
    I rode a chairlift last weekend with an IT guy employed at Pappy van Winkle's. He takes 3 (or was it 4) months off every winter to ski. Must be good with virtualization or cables or something. Said he thinks he is the only guy with Tennessee licence plates and a season's pass at Whistler. I know geography isn't your strong suit on account of the small windows on the Vulcan, so I'll add that Whistler is far from Tennessee. Canuckistan to be specific. Cool guy. My only previous experience with bourbon was underage drinking Southern Comfort by fire pits at outdoor parties. Never did remember the end of those nights. Anyway, that Pappy stuff is top shelf.

Just hide the keys to the jet before you crack it open.
    03-29-13 12:26 AM
    Southern Comfort isn't Bourbon. Pappy Van Winkle is made in Frankfort, Kentucky by Sazerac for the PVW group. The home office for PVW may be in Tennessee but in Tennessee the best known is Jack Daniels which is sour mash not Bourbon. There is also George Dickel and many new small distilleries which will produce a range of spirits including the Bourbon type. Brandy??
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-29-13 02:07 AM
225 ... 23456 ...