01-30-12 10:26 PM
45 12
tools
    Actually, I just tested with another server and I got the following:

PB - Download - 26.22Mbps - Upload - 3.88Mbps
    Laptop - Download - 47.87Mbps - Upload - 4.55Mbps
    07-22-11 11:58 AM
    You have some nice internet speeds, what do you pay for that?

Yes obviously the playbook isn't playing with n if your laptop is getting that much better speed.

I have comcast, not sure what speed but with my laptop it doesn't matter if I'm wired or wireless I get the same internet speed on the speed tests.
    07-22-11 12:02 PM
    I am in the UK and have 50Mbps cable
    I am on the waiting list for 100Mbps which should be rolled out soon
    07-22-11 12:07 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong isn't the PB supposed to support wireless n?
    07-22-11 12:08 PM
    Sounds like the playbook is just reporting the wrong info.
    I think you have a point...

My PB reports 11MB but actual speed tests show 20MB+ with a "g" broadasting Belkin router. I get about 24MB on my desktop PC connected to the same router so they're actually pretty close.
    Last edited by chicken29; 07-23-11 at 08:16 AM.
    mpcook likes this.
    07-23-11 08:08 AM
    You could be right but it doesn't explain the difference between the speeds I can get on my laptop versus the PB. Something else I have noticed there is much higher latency on the PB than on my laptop, for example when I do a speedtest on my laptop I get 6ms latency to test server however on the PB it's more like 38ms.
    07-23-11 08:28 AM
    i have a similar experience Laptop 5ms and 43.06Mbps. PlayBook 16 ms and 18.8 Mbps.
    07-23-11 08:41 AM
    Sounds like RIM has to work on a new driver or put the old one that worked better back.
    07-23-11 09:00 AM
    Bump... Rim, I want my 'n' speed!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    determined61 likes this.
    08-14-11 01:23 AM
    I am seeing some weird stuff with my router as well. Just got a Netgear WNDR3700 router which broadcasts dual band 2.5 and 5 G wifi. Trying to separate traffic so my Playstation and Playbook do the 5G (a/n) network to avoid interference issues and everyone else in the house gets the 2.5G network (b/g/n). Yes I know it's kind of selfish but I'm the one paying for all this

When connected to the 5G network it shows that I have 24Mbps connection on (a), on the 2.5G network it shows it being 11Mbps (g). Why is this? My security settings on both is networks is WPA2 (AES) but for some reason the device will never ever recognize to be on an 'N' network.
    08-30-11 08:21 PM
    I am having same problem. Will only connect at N- 11mbps or a- 24mbps. I have 4 other things connected included my laptop which is connected at N-100mbps. There is lots of bs fixes but no one is truly understanding the problem. IS anyone connecting at more than N-11mbps and if so please post your router and settings.
    09-27-11 07:49 AM
    According to my Playbook, I am connected at 802.11a to my Apple Time Capsule at 5GHz, running at 24 Mbps.

The Time Machine is set as a dual signal wifi server.

My internet experience with PB is OK but it could be faster. Getting some pauses while playing hi-def YouTube videos and some websites including this do not load completely on occasions.

If this is a bug, I hope this will be addressed by RIM soon.
    10-21-11 03:35 PM
    I posted this on a similar thread today.

Try going into your router setup page and see if there is a connection status page showing the connection speed. On my router, the playbook shows a 72 Mbps connection to the playbook. In an area of the house with about two to three bars of signal, it is about 43 Mbps.

My router is an older Apple Extrem which has N and G speeds, but does not have the dual N and G radios in it like the new Apple Extreme router. I think without the dual radios it may limit the ability to use the full speed of N if there is G configured.

Incidentally, the Dlink routers can be problematic with the PlayBook. I had a Dlink at my cottage this summer and after one of the PlayBook upgrades I could not stay connected. I replaced it with the new dual channel Apple Extreme and had no further problems. Regardless of the brand, the dual radio routers are quite expensive, but worth it in the end.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-21-11 04:47 PM
    I posted this on a similar thread today.

Try going into your router setup page and see if there is a connection status page showing the connection speed. On my router, the playbook shows a 72 Mbps connection to the playbook. In an area of the house with about two to three bars of signal, it is about 43 Mbps.

My router is an older Apple Extrem which has N and G speeds, but does not have the dual N and G radios in it like the new Apple Extreme router. I think without the dual radios it may limit the ability to use the full speed of N if there is G configured.

Incidentally, the Dlink routers can be problematic with the PlayBook. I had a Dlink at my cottage this summer and after one of the PlayBook upgrades I could not stay connected. I replaced it with the new dual channel Apple Extreme and had no further problems. Regardless of the brand, the dual radio routers are quite expensive, but worth it in the end.
    Thanks! Found it and Time Capsule says my Playbook is connected at 72 Mbps on 802a/n. So I guess it's a software bug in the Playbook.
    10-21-11 05:06 PM
    Add me to the list... new router set to N only in a prime spot in house for optimal coverage but PB shows connected to G. How is that even possible when G is disabled in the router? Frustrating.
    10-21-11 05:43 PM
    Add me to the list... new router set to N only in a prime spot in house for optimal coverage but PB shows connected to G. How is that even possible when G is disabled in the router? Frustrating.
    Try logging into your router and check the speed at that end.
    10-21-11 06:05 PM
    I did a speedtest and got 30 down, so you can now add me to the camp that believes the PlayBook is reporting incorrectly.
    10-21-11 07:57 PM
    not me, i think something wrong when set only n, palybook shows 11mb g gets less. with n and g, playbook shows 24 mb on g gets 17 -18 down, laptop with both gets 30+ all day long wired or wireless
    01-30-12 07:23 PM
    not me, i think something wrong when set only n, palybook shows 11mb g gets less. with n and g, playbook shows 24 mb on g gets 17 -18 down, laptop with both gets 30+ all day long wired or wireless

01-30-12 09:14 PM
    Check your router and make sure WMM is enabled. Wireless-N requires WMM else devices will connect via G, both iPhone and PB work in this way.
    01-30-12 10:26 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD