Hello all! I'm moving into a new apartment in August and wanted to get a tablet to act as a sort of media centre - how "modern"!
    For years we've seen "home of the future" videos made in the 70s and 80s and all of them have some sort of console on the wall with which the futurepeople can make video calls and control their home via a touch screen. I feel that tablets are finally heading that way, and with that in mind I want to control my media through a tablet. (and eventually video call when they launch the right app)

I'm a BlackBerry loyalist so I'd love to use the PlayBook, but I'm not sure it's going to be up to scratch for what I wanted, so I was wondering if anybody can answer my questions.

1. An iPad can stream audio and video wirelessly to an AppleTV or Airport Express box. I already have the latter - can the Playbook stream wirelessly, and is it compatible with these apple devices?

2. Can the Playbook look at files on my Macbook wirelessly in real time? i.e. Can I play an MP3 stored on my Macbook through the Playbook, or do I have to transfer my MP3s onto the Playbook's hard drive?

3. If streaming is possible, or planned to be introduced in the future, can I play MP3s stored on my Macbook wirelessly through my Playbook and stream them wirelessly to my Airport speakers? I know the iPad can read what's in my iTunes library on my Mac and do this, but I'm not sure if the Playbook can.

4. Is there a kensington lock hole on it so the Playbook could be secured? I searched and couldn't find any reference to one, and I know the iPad is annoyingly lacking in one of these ports.

Thanks for your time reading this.
    Last edited by cfoxx; 04-28-11 at 06:57 AM.
    04-28-11 06:51 AM
    1. Watch this demo. Sonos sounds awesome. Works with ios, android playbook is probably coming too.

2. You could use home share w apple throughout hose. Maybe pb will add this.

3. Should be able to.

4?

http://wpc.0b7c.edgecastcdn.net/000B...em-demo-en.mp4

Sonos.com. Ihighly recommend. No wires!
    04-28-11 07:32 AM
    There is also this: http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/ho...aybook-607481/

I just set this all up, and it works excellent. The quality of the movies isn't that great, but streaming movies and music works very well.
    04-28-11 07:33 AM
    Here is another sonos vid. I suspect playbook will come very quickly.

Sonos is a good company.
    04-28-11 07:38 AM
    4) no

A Kensington Security Slot (also called a K-Slot or Kensington lock) is part of an anti-theft system designed by Kensington Computer Products Group. It is a small, metal-reinforced, oval hole found on almost all small or portable computers and electronics equipment, particularly on expensive ones, such as laptops, computer monitors, desktop computers, gaming consoles, and video projectors. It is used for attaching a lock-and-cable apparatus, in particular those from Kensington.
    04-28-11 07:44 AM
    4) no
    Disappointing. A PlayBook is exactly the sort of high value, easily stealable items I'd expect should have a Kensington hole.

There is also this: (ORB) I just set this all up, and it works excellent. The quality of the movies isn't that great, but streaming movies and music works very well.
    I was mainly hoping for something that could access the files directly on my laptop, rather than webcasting them for playback (I just typed PlayBack the first time I wrote that! Damned branding!) - it seems like a messy solution when iPad, Macbooks and Airport all chat to each other seamlessly.

Here is another sonos vid. I suspect playbook will come very quickly.
    The Sonos system looks similar to what is offered on the iPad. It's just annoying that iPad have built this type of functionality into the native iPod app, whereas I'll need some sloppy workaround if I go for a PlayBook.
    04-28-11 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD