At home I currently have a wired network, running with a D-Link DSL-2542B ADSL Wired Modem Router. I'm considering getting a Blackberry Playbook in the near future, but I'm aware that in terms of internet connectivity, it requires WiFi. My current router has no wireless support of any kind. I have read that users of wired networks can hook up a wireless access point of some sort in order to be able to start using WiFi.

After a bit of searching, I came across this - the TP Link TL-WR702N Wireless Nano Router. I am under the impression that if I were to buy this and hook it up to my existing wired network, I would be able to start using the Playbook's WiFi features, such as web browsing.

I was wondering if there was anyone out there with a similar network setup to this who could either confirm my assumptions or offer a better/cheaper alternative (if there is one).

Many thanks in advance.
    03-08-13 03:28 AM
    Hi, Not sure about the TLWR720 (EDIT: Sorry, TL-WR702N), it looks like it would do the job, but I don't know what sort of range it has. It would be fine if you want to use your PB in the same room as your WIRED router, but if you wanted to use it at the opposite end of the house, or in the garden, not sure how well that would work. For a device with a bit more range (though a bit more expensive - 40 quid), I can recommend the TP-Link TL-WA901ND wireless access point. It is just an access point, leaves all the 'router' stuff to the kit you already have. It was easy to set up. It would work straight out of the box, but does really require a little setting up to set WiFi security and sensible passwords etc.
    My only complaint was that the manual is a bit brief, and assumes some network knowledge (which I have, so no problem for me). Hovever, their technical support is very good, and replied to a query I had within 24 hours with a good solution.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 03-08-13 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Corrected Typo
    StarkUK likes this.
    03-08-13 04:26 AM
    Hi, Not sure about the TLWR720, it looks like it would do the job, but I don't know what sort of range it has. It would be fine if you want to use your PB in the same room as your WIRED router, but if you wanted to use it at the opposite end of the house, or in the garden, not sure how well that would work. For a device with a bit more range (though a bit more expensive - 40 quid), I can recommend the TP-Link TL-WA901ND wireless access point. It is just an access point, leaves all the 'router' stuff to the kit you already have. It was easy to set up. It would work straight out of the box, but does really require a little setting up to set WiFi security and sensible passwords etc.
    My only complaint was that the manual is a bit brief, and assumes some network knowledge (which I have, so no problem for me). Hovever, their technical support is very good, and replied to a query I had within 24 hours with a good solution.
    Good to hear I at least have the right idea with what I'll need to get set up. I can't seem to find any info on the range of the WR702N, so I'll probably look into the one you suggested instead. Yeah it's a bit more expensive, but there's no use in saving money if the cheaper product you get doesn't work in the way you want it to. Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else has any suggestions for good access points or has had experience with the WR702N, do feel free to post about it.

Cheers.
    03-08-13 08:31 AM
    Also, wifi routers are relatively cheap so that could be a consideration???
    03-08-13 09:08 AM
    Also, wifi routers are relatively cheap so that could be a consideration???
    I'd rather not have to faff about setting up an entirely new network. Would much prefer to just be able to add a peripheral in to the existing set up.
    03-08-13 09:25 AM
    I have a TP-Link WA701ND just plugged it in and it works perfectly. Range is enough for three adjacent rooms.

Roger
    StarkUK likes this.
    03-08-13 09:48 AM
    I have a TP-Link WA701ND just plugged it in and it works perfectly. Range is enough for three adjacent rooms.

Roger
    Looks like that is the 'baby brother' of the TL-WA901ND I mentioned. It's quite a bit cheaper, so I guess that'd probably be a good option. The 901ND is capable of higher speeds (300Mbps vs 150) but I doubt your broadband is as fast as either, so unless you plan on regularly moving massive files to/from your PB from another local device then I can't see that is a big issue.
    StarkUK likes this.
    03-08-13 11:02 AM

Roger
    Would you be able to give an estimate on how long the range is in metres/feet?
    03-08-13 11:12 PM
    Would you be able to give an estimate on how long the range is in metres/feet?
    I'm currently sitting 3 walls and about 50 feet from the WA701ND and getting a satisfactory connection. The PB WiFi "meter" thing is only showing 1 bar but it's working fine.
    03-08-13 11:47 PM
    I'd rather not have to faff about setting up an entirely new network. Would much prefer to just be able to add a peripheral in to the existing set up.
    No faffing or network reconfiguration is necessary.
    Nearly any WiFi router can be configured as an Access Point. You just configure it and add it to your existing network.
    For example you can get a Belkin N150 router for 20.00 from Staples and configure it as an Access Point. This will also give you 4 additional wired ports, well 3 really because you'll lose one of your existing ports to the Access Point connection itself.
    03-09-13 07:10 AM