Just saw an article by Wired on RIM's current state:

RIM’s Month in Three Letters: WTF? | Epicenter | Wired.com

I thought it was a good analyst approach on their situation and was wondering what you all think of it?
    08-17-11 01:52 PM
    Oh gawd . I feel so dirty .
    I'm actually rooting for Microsoft so that we get more 3rd party support.

WOW.
    08-17-11 02:53 PM
    I like how they did the conclusion anyway..
    Again, I’d like to say that something like this is the most likely outcome. But after this year or even just this month, it’s clear that with RIM, anything is possible.
    opd123omg likes this.
    08-17-11 03:02 PM
    I don't know what to think about anything RIM related anymore.
    NexUsandThem and chiefbroski like this.
    08-17-11 03:05 PM
    I don't know what to think about anything RIM related anymore.
    Don't think; just use and enjoy!
    08-17-11 03:16 PM
    Don't think; just use and enjoy!
    Would love to, but am tired of enjoying my $700 web browser. If I had some applications to use then I would most likely enjoy my Playbook much more!
    08-17-11 03:46 PM
    Would love to, but am tired of enjoying my $700 web browser. If I had some applications to use then I would most likely enjoy my Playbook much more!
    Oh come on, you're not trying hard enough. Just today saw the release of yet another Magic 8 Ball-like app.
    Will my Playbook ever be useful? . . . �ask again later" . . .
    08-17-11 03:58 PM
    At the moment I feel like:

1. RIM will be grabbed up by Apple or someone else
    2. Work on Playbook will cease
    3. We will be screwed and forced to buy new tablets that do more than browse the web.

I really hope that I am wrong about this.
    Buzz_Dengue and mickrg123 like this.
    08-17-11 04:02 PM

Nothing to offer except for infrastructure hardware
    This would actually be a benefit if they let the native SDK out. The dedicated hobbyists will jump on it and the end user will have something to work with.
    3. We will be screwed and forced to buy new tablets that do more than browse the web.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winnah!

10characterz
    08-17-11 04:19 PM
    Oh come on, you're not trying hard enough. Just today saw the release of yet another Magic 8 Ball-like app.
    Will my Playbook ever be useful? . . . �ask again later" . . .
    Hahahaha!! I love my Playbook, but that post is some funny sh*t.
    08-17-11 04:58 PM
    Oh please god no.

The possibility of Apple getting their hands on RIM is too awful to even imagine.

RIM is the last of the manufacturers able to make reliable devices which also work as fecking phones and where the App store isnt full of mind numbing spirit crushing useless childish ****e.

If Apple so much as steps into the same room as Blackberry there wont be enough insulation tape in the world to fix the antenna problems that occur.

NO!
    tramline likes this.
    08-17-11 05:30 PM
    RIM is the last of the manufacturers able to make reliable devices which also work as fecking phones and where the App store isnt full of mind numbing spirit crushing useless childish ****e.
    If this were actually true, there wouldn't be a "WTF" article, and there'd be no thread. But let's not let the facts get in the way of your rant, which was very entertaining.
    08-17-11 05:40 PM
    I just wanna say the picture is pure ownage LOL :3

I have a playbook, love it but the picture just made me giggle for a bit.

Caption: RIM's Playbook can't even stand and look at you.
    opd123omg likes this.
    08-17-11 06:20 PM
    Just saw an article by Wired on RIM's current state:

RIM�s Month in Three Letters: WTF? | Epicenter*| Wired.com

I thought it was a good analyst approach on their situation and was wondering what you all think of it?
    Please don't let Microsoft ruin RIM. Microsoft freedom is high on the list for my loving QNX and the PlayBook..
    CrackMachine likes this.
    08-17-11 07:02 PM
    Yeah, I don't think Apple would ever be interested in RIM. No need to worry about that apocalypse. They would do just as well to buy the patents and close the company down.
    08-17-11 07:04 PM
    HaTaX you're better than that - please specify the applications that you feel would make the tab useful and educate us. After all it's your thread. You seemed to like Phone Remote, in honesty there must be others. Aren't you a developer? Develop them!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-17-11 at 07:11 PM.
    08-17-11 07:05 PM

Haven't you sold that thing yet? We get it already Rim's days are numbered, but apparently only by you.
    08-17-11 07:08 PM
    If this were actually true, there wouldn't be a "WTF" article, and there'd be no thread. But let's not let the facts get in the way of your rant, which was very entertaining.
    Soory you're not getting away with that one. Anybody can write a WTF article, whether they know what they are talking about or not, and anyone can make threads ANYONE. Even you! Just because something is on the internet doesn't make it factual, give me a break
    08-17-11 07:10 PM
    I just wanna say the picture is pure ownage LOL :3

I have a playbook, love it but the picture just made me giggle for a bit.

It is pretty funny...
    Maybe they are playing into the hands of those who think RIM is turning it's back on us lol then when we all believe it.. WHAM! It will turn around with OS 2.0! and make everyone eat their own... oops family forum.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-17-11 at 08:20 PM.
    08-17-11 07:15 PM
    I actually prefer this one - looks like RIM is finally learning to do marketing!
    08-17-11 07:17 PM
    Don't really care for Rim being swallowed but if were by any one maybe google. Rim would be able to go and still do their own thing.

Anywho I just want a Playbook running Honeycomb. The playbook is the best device i've had in my hands with the tab coming in 2nd.
    08-17-11 07:18 PM

As for the caption,
    Actually RIM has the last laugh - it has a rear facing camera, so technically it IS looking at you.
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-17-11 07:19 PM
    As for the caption,
    Actually RIM has the last laugh - it has a rear facing camera, so technically it IS looking at you.
    Ah, thanks for that. Until you said that (which was obvious to me, too) I had no idea that the point of the caption was that the tablet was "looking away from you". It made no sense to me. (Assuming that's what it was... if so: meh. Sorry.)
    08-17-11 07:35 PM
    HaTaX you're better than that - please specify the applications that you feel would make the tab useful and educate us. After all it's your thread. You seemed to like Phone Remote, in honesty there must be others. Aren't you a developer? Develop them!
    I would like to see the ability to do the following (in no particular order):

Use my Blackberry Media Gateway with my Blackberry Playbook
    Check my email (Look below for a story on this) / PIM activities in absence of my BB
    Connect remotely to desktop systems that I manage using standard RDP protocols
    Connect remotely to linux systems via SSH
    Participate in WebEx / Citrix sessions
    Video conference with people who don't have a Playbook
    Use my PDFs that are 1100+ pages with a search feature, or even bookmark a page
    Edit my PowerPoint files or at least modify my notes on the tablet itself
    Instant message connectivity besides BBM over bridge
    Use my tablet as a navigation device

I think that's enough for now to make my point. I'd also like to point out that I can do every single one of those tasks on my iPad and all except one are within reach with the Android player. (No bluetooth in AP yet & most likely never)

As far as the email situation goes, I use Logicmail on my BB handheld to keep my phone from blowing up while attached to my "junk" addresses. (Use those for signups and such) I don't want my phone going off every 3 minutes from them, but I'd still like the ability to access them. Here's the story I was referring to above, the other day I left my BB at home in my rush out of the house, and I realized it when I was already a good ways towards my destination (50 minute drive). I still had my PlayBook, but no BB... So I fire it up once I'm there and think of how I can send an email to my coworker to coordinate where we should meet up. Just exactly how would I do this through my corporate email without the assistance of the Android player? I couldn't, and so I fired up AP and sent my email off to him, 3 minutes later we meet up and the day goes on.

Phone remote is a fantastic application and I think the developer has done a great job considering the tools provided to develop on the PlayBook thus far. See, everyone keeps saying that the NDK is coming and that Android apps are coming. But this is @ss backwards to how most companies put out their products, you don't put the cart before the horse and this is exactly what has been done. They shipped a very solid platform with a very poor toolset to build upon for it. AIR is great for producing a quick content consumption application, but horrid for most other tasks. Honestly it makes me laugh that the PB is dual core as actionscript offers no way to "thread" an application, how are we developers supposed to leverage the CPU in such an environment?

Ask the developer of Logicmail why his fantastic application isn't available in app world, and I mean it that it's a great app, it is. Ask shape services why we can't IM on our Playbooks yet, I'm sure you can get an idea of why if you look around here. I am a developer and I've experienced the frustrations that many others have first hand when dealing with RIM. He11, I got my application rejected because it was competitive with the browser that the PB shipped with, others are in app world, but for some reason I just happened to draw the short straw. Would you put time and effort into a project if the possibility existed that you will be turned away because of inconsistencies within the approval process, and said inconsistencies were very publicly talked about?

Yeah, that's a rant, and I'm not sure I feel better after having said all that. You basically had the perfect mix of questions there to get me nice and fired up. It's not directed at you, and I feel that what you asked should be able to be easily dismissed but in this case I cannot.

All these issues lead back to 3 letters dropping the ball, RIM.
    kirson and MattBerry08 like this.
    08-17-11 07:51 PM
    I would like to see the ability to do the following (in no particular order):

Use my Blackberry Media Gateway with my Blackberry Playbook
    Check my email (Look below for a story on this) / PIM activities in absence of my BB
    Connect remotely to desktop systems that I manage using standard RDP protocols
    Connect remotely to linux systems via SSH
    Participate in WebEx / Citrix sessions
    Video conference with people who don't have a Playbook
    Use my PDFs that are 1100+ pages with a search feature, or even bookmark a page
    Edit my PowerPoint files or at least modify my notes on the tablet itself
    Instant message connectivity besides BBM over bridge
    Use my tablet as a navigation device

I think that's enough for now to make my point. I'd also like to point out that I can do every single one of those tasks on my iPad and all except one are within reach with the Android player. (No bluetooth in AP yet & most likely never)

As far as the email situation goes, I use Logicmail on my BB handheld to keep my phone from blowing up while attached to my "junk" addresses. (Use those for signups and such) I don't want my phone going off every 3 minutes from them, but I'd still like the ability to access them. Here's the story I was referring to above, the other day I left my BB at home in my rush out of the house, and I realized it when I was already a good ways towards my destination (50 minute drive). I still had my PlayBook, but no BB... So I fire it up once I'm there and think of how I can send an email to my coworker to coordinate where we should meet up. Just exactly how would I do this through my corporate email without the assistance of the Android player? I couldn't, and so I fired up AP and sent my email off to him, 3 minutes later we meet up and the day goes on.

Phone remote is a fantastic application and I think the developer has done a great job considering the tools provided to develop on the PlayBook thus far. See, everyone keeps saying that the NDK is coming and that Android apps are coming. But this is @ss backwards to how most companies put out their products, you don't put the cart before the horse and this is exactly what has been done. They shipped a very solid platform with a very poor toolset to build upon for it. AIR is great for producing a quick content consumption application, but horrid for most other tasks. Honestly it makes me laugh that the PB is dual core as actionscript offers no way to "thread" an application, how are we developers supposed to leverage the CPU in such an environment?

Ask the developer of Logicmail why his fantastic application isn't available in app world, and I mean it that it's a great app, it is. Ask shape services why we can't IM on our Playbooks yet, I'm sure you can get an idea of why if you look around here. I am a developer and I've experienced the frustrations that many others have first hand when dealing with RIM. He11, I got my application rejected because it was competitive with the browser that the PB shipped with, others are in app world, but for some reason I just happened to draw the short straw. Would you put time and effort into a project if the possibility existed that you will be turned away because of inconsistencies within the approval process, and said inconsistencies were very publicly talked about?

Yeah, that's a rant, and I'm not sure I feel better after having said all that. You basically had the perfect mix of questions there to get me nice and fired up. It's not directed at you, and I feel that what you asked should be able to be easily dismissed but in this case I cannot.

All these issues lead back to 3 letters dropping the ball, RIM.
    No problem - I don't mind rants as long as they are fact filled, and I don't take it personally at all, nor was my comment meant personally..
    Thanks I just wanted to hear it from the developers point of view. Thought I'd give you a chance I knew it was brewing in there lol, and I honestly was curious about what a techie like yourself wanted in a tab. As far as putting the cart before the horse, from a non tech standpoint I believe it was necessary due to market pressure, I also have an eerie feeling they are trying to reserves some obvious development for themselves and purposely inhibiting low level development. Just a theory - for example why disable bluetooth development if they don't have their own ideas of how something like Phone Remote should be done? I know it's kind of Apply to do that, which yes, does suck for developers.... and maybe they went with AIR to maximize the number of apps in a short period of time.

I do hope and feel that your dreams will eventually come true. I also hope that you will help the cart along and not abandon the platform.

And curious ... how could you leave without your phone, but with the PlayBook! For me it is always the other way around _ i feel completely naked without my phone ( my primary com device ).... I'm sure that situation doesn't happen often. I make sure I am never dependent at all! on the PlayBook which is why I love Bridge. All the important stuff is always on the phone, and IT'S native email and contacts... no sync issues.

For me my primary and most important phone app is Slicktasks from Mindberry.net- I wonder if they have made frustrating attempts to do a PlayBook app? Do iOS developers have the same frustrations I wonder?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-17-11 at 08:39 PM.
    08-17-11 08:10 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD