The steps I posted worked on my corporate LAN/WAN and my two personal subnets. If you are not going to troubleshoot using the steps I provided my energy is wasted. Good luck.
    I'm not debating if they work, they just don't work for my home network. I'm definitely not a network guru, but I do have some core understanding and experience. Does yor home network have an ADS or PDC? If so, that's likely the difference between your setup and that of some of us here, as these will always win the Master Browser election. In the abscence of an ADS or PDC, I don't believe the registry tweak is sufficient, as it does not change the OS level being reported, it just indicates the preferred master when equivalent machines are part of the election. In this case, an incorrect OS level configuration setting in the playbooks Samba setup would still mess things up.

As noted at the beginning of the thread, this only started happening when OS 2.0.1 came out, prior to that my network was fine without having to make any of these tweaks. It still puzzles me why a mobile device would ever be configured to allow it to be the master browser, though I know there have been issued with other devices too such as the Seagate network drives (they fixed their issue though).

I definitely open to other suggestions.
    nnomad likes this.
    01-27-13 11:04 AM
    I'm not debating if they work, they just don't work for my home network. I'm definitely not a network guru, but I do have some core understanding and experience. Does yor home network have an ADS or PDC? If so, that's likely the difference between your setup and that of some of us here, as these will always win the Master Browser election. In the abscence of an ADS or PDC, I don't believe the registry tweak is sufficient, as it does not change the OS level being reported, it just indicates the preferred master when equivalent machines are part of the election. In this case, an incorrect OS level configuration setting in the playbooks Samba setup would still mess things up.

As noted at the beginning of the thread, this only started happening when OS 2.0.1 came out, prior to that my network was fine without having to make any of these tweaks. It still puzzles me why a mobile device would ever be configured to allow it to be the master browser, though I know there have been issued with other devices too such as the Seagate network drives (they fixed their issue though).

I definitely open to other suggestions.
    Even a cell phone can cause browser election issues on a network that hasn't been tweaked. Windows networking is not plug and play. It's more like plug and pray. To fine tune the network you do need to make tweaks. It does not matter whether there's an ADS, PDC, or a simple peer to peer networking using Win 7s HomeGroup. You will still need to make tweaks.
    In fact a properly administered BYOD deployment demands these registry tweaks before allowing outside devices access network resources.
    On a Peer to Peer network it could be as simple as configuring the Computer Browser setting under services.msc. Make Sure it's set to Automatic and running.
    Master Browser issues have been around since the dawn of networking. The PlayBook is not causing the issues here. It merely made them noticeable. I've even seen cheap routers cause these issues.
    01-27-13 12:14 PM
    Wow, thanks guys.
    I've been banging my head against several WIndows 7 brick walls for weeks trying to figure out why I can no longer browse my Networks! I was blaming my QNAP NAS! I'll have to go and apologise to QNAP support now :/
    I'm guessing there will be no chance of a PLaybook resolve now?
    I've changed Workgroup on PLaybook and, well I can't see the thing in WIndows 8.1 but can still resolve it's ID manually to transfer files.
    The fix mentioned up the page a bit doesn't seem to work for Windows 8.1 as I could not find the key mentioned to change ismasterbrowser= IN any case my NAS acts as master browser since it's the one machine that is always on and therefore will be first on the network on any given day.

Thank you all for this thread, sorted my problem anyway. At least I now know where the fault lies :/

James
    04-08-14 09:42 AM
    I haven't really seen a master browser issue since the days of NT and Windows 2000, since it's primarily a NetBIOS issue to my recollection.

Does everyone having issues:

1. Have NetBIOS over TCP/IP turned on for their network connections? You can find this in the TCP/IP settings for each network connection.

2. In most network instances, you'll want whatever device that handles DNS to be your master, even your wireless router. Is your router managing local DNS, and WINS (which is NetBIOS' equivalent to DNS)?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 05:36 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD