Is it Windows 7 being the massive pile of garbage it has always been or is my PB acting up?

Everything's configured correctly, been adding files via WiFi on a regular basis. 20 min ago just dumped a PDF onto it via WiFi, worked fine. Now I'm trying to access it and the computer sits there like a helpless...

No, wait. Just tried it again for the thirteenth time in a row and now I have access.
    07-11-11 03:25 AM
    just disconnect wlan from your desktop, then reconnect, wait 10sec. Should work again for an unknown time
    07-11-11 03:32 AM
    I have no issues with W7 and playbook access

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-11-11 04:51 AM
    In your PlayBook settings to go STORAGE & SHARING -> NETWORK IDENTIFICATION -> PROPERTIES

Whatever you have in USERNAME is what you need to type on your PC to get access to the PlayBook.

For example my PlayBook looks like this:

Tablet Network Name: PLAYBOOK-9AEB
    Workgroup: WORKGROUP
    Username: eds817

So to access my PlayBook from my PC I type eds817 in the USER NAME field and my password in the PASSWORD field.
    07-11-11 05:50 AM
    you can try to type in the ip of playbook.

try rebooting your network router, switches and/or wireless access points.
    sometimes network devices have difficulty locating connected devices.
    07-11-11 06:13 AM
    My Bullguard firewall blocked access to the PB. When I drop internet & firewall I can browse with Windows explorer no problem.
    07-11-11 06:52 AM
    you can try to type in the ip of playbook.

try rebooting your network router, switches and/or wireless access points.
    sometimes network devices have difficulty locating connected devices.
    thats whats works best for me: connecting straight to the pb ip..
    tutorial this way...

Cellular Solutions (NE) Ltd: How to use your Wi-Fi to copy files to and from a BlackBerry PlayBook

hth
    07-11-11 08:17 AM
    This is how its done. It worked for me. I'm on Windows 7.

On Your PlayBook

1. Go into settings (swipe down from home or tap settings icon).
    2. Go into "Storage and Sharing"
    3. Turn "File Sharing" and "Wifi Sharing" to On.

4. Turn "Password Protect" to On. Note the password. You will need this later.
    5. Tap "Properties" button under "Network Identification". Write down the username You will need this to log in to your device.
    6. Tap "Back"
    7. Go into "Wifi"
    8. You should be connected to your network for this to work.
    9. The lower section there are 3 icons. (wifi icon with question mark, "connect Manually", and "Use WPS")
    10. Tap the Wifi icon that has a question mark.

11. You should now be in the "Wifi Status" screen. You need to find your device's IP address.
    12. Select "Internet Connection" under the "Diagnostic Information" drop down.

13. Write down you "IP Address" number. You will need this.
    14. You can not exit out of Settings.

On Your Windows 7 Machine

1. Go into Start
    2. Type "Run" into search for programs
    3. Hit enter. The "Run dialogue will pop up.
    4. VERY IMPORTANT: Type \\
    5. Then type: your up address (192.111.11.111) something like that
    6. Click "OK"
    7. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. This is what you wrote down earlier. Type that in.
    8. You now have wireless access to your BlackBerry PlayBook.
    9. Enjoy!!!
    07-11-11 12:26 PM
    Very nice help, thanx for doing it with screenshots and everything. But what to do if I don�t have anything in Storage and Sharing? From your screenshots I see that I am missing much more settings than I thought before. My Storage setting is empty. But I don�t want to repeat myself, I have another thread about it. Just wanted to appreciate your help.
    07-11-11 12:46 PM
    I find it's hard to connect to the PB if it's just been sitting there in sleep mode. What I always do when that happens is just fire it up, open up a browser and go to Google. After I browse to a website, it always hooks right up after that.

Just something I've found...
    07-11-11 01:25 PM
    Saudi_king you are an awesome man, had been trying for a few days to connect to the PB from my Win 7 PC and now it works. Awesome awesome man,
    Thankyou.
    08-24-11 04:19 PM
    i always use the ip method. its fast and easy and i have never had a problem with it.
    08-24-11 04:43 PM
    A more 'permanent' method of having access to your PlayBook would be to set it a static IP address (either from your router or from the PB device it self) then have it mapped in your OS as a network drive.
    illwill718 likes this.
    08-24-11 04:46 PM
    Has this not been covered before a few weeks ago? That's how I learned to use a static IP and map it. I now connect via a shortcut on my desktop. Since today's update though, I can now also connect the original 'broken' way: through 'Network' on my win 7.
    08-24-11 05:24 PM
    A more 'permanent' method of having access to your PlayBook would be to set it a static IP address (either from your router or from the PB device it self) then have it mapped in your OS as a network drive.
    How do you do this?

I just tried and the original "network" method still does not work under the new update - at least, not on mine.

I have to enter the IP and it changes making my shortcut invalid and needing regular editing to fix the value.

So I could use a step by step to create a static connection. I looked around my linksys and did not find anything obvious and I did not want to break anything! Or on the pb if there is a method.
    robtanz likes this.
    08-24-11 07:16 PM
    How do you do this?

I just tried and the original "network" method still does not work under the new update - at least, not on mine.

I have to enter the IP and it changes making my shortcut invalid and needing regular editing to fix the value.

So I could use a step by step to create a static connection. I looked around my linksys and did not find anything obvious and I did not want to break anything! Or on the pb if there is a method.
    If you go to 'Wi-Fi' on your PlayBook and select 'Saved Networks' under 'Select a network', edit your wireless network and uncheck 'Automatically obtain IP address'... there you can set a static address for your PlayBook to use.

Your typical settings will be:

IP Address: 192.168.X.X (this will be your local network... if your linksys sits on 192.168.1.X then your IP can be anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254... obviously it can't be the same IP as your linksys or any active device on the network)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: (I use OpenDNS) 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220
    Default gateway: 192.168.X.X (the IP you use to access the linksys page)

It may be easier doing this on the linksys device it self... try and find a page which lets you enter a hostname, MAC address, IP address and lease time.
    Last edited by emtunc; 08-25-11 at 01:41 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-11 01:39 AM
    Thanks. I don't think I would ever have come up with this myself!
    08-25-11 08:33 AM
    emtunc:

Thanks - I think that I may have it working. I rebooted the pb and the shortcut was still working. I guess rebooting the computer might be a better test?
    08-25-11 11:25 AM
    emtunc:

Thanks - I think that I may have it working. I rebooted the pb and the shortcut was still working. I guess rebooting the computer might be a better test?
    When you mapped the network drive on your machine, there would have been an option along the lines of 'reconnect at logon' (depending on your OS)... if you checked this option, it should persist even on a reboot
    08-25-11 12:49 PM
    guys guys guys... this is way too complicated.

I have windows 7 on my laptop and have no problem using it to access my Playbook over wifi. This allows me to use drag-and-drop to move files to or from the PB.

I don't need to go thru all these steps... the PB simply shows up under the network listing on the laptop.

Yes, you must first turn on the PB's setting for file sharing and wifi sharing... but you only need to do that once. I have found that it works whether or not the PB password is turned on. And yes, you must know what your username is, but I just use my first name, not too hard to remember! LOL!!!
    08-25-11 01:11 PM

I have windows 7 on my laptop and have no problem using it to access my Playbook over wifi. This allows me to use drag-and-drop to move files to or from the PB.

I don't need to go thru all these steps... the PB simply shows up under the network listing on the laptop.

Yes, you must first turn on the PB's setting for file sharing and wifi sharing... but you only need to do that once. I have found that it works whether or not the PB password is turned on. And yes, you must know what your username is, but I just use my first name, not too hard to remember! LOL!!!
    The above steps are for those who want their PlayBook IPs to stay static. Some routers assign new addresses every time the device connects to the network (very short lease times).

Once you have the static IP (or device name), it is very straight forward to do what ever you like on the file system. I think everyone here knows that
    08-25-11 01:27 PM

It worked that way until the update before the most recent. At that time it no longer worked and IP addressing was necessary. So Rim tweaked something about a month ago which broke it ON MY MACHINE (and others).
    08-25-11 02:45 PM
    This is how its done. It worked for me...
    This little tutorial worked far better than the Blog Post that was previously linked
    11-17-11 01:44 AM
    Hi

I cannot get windows to access my playbook, I have done everything right, I set wifi sharing etc, in Network on the PC it sees my playbook, I click on it, it thinks about it for a while then a window pops up saying

[windows cannot access \\playbook-4AC9]
    check the spelling fo the name etc.

I can get a friends PB to connect etc with no problems, just not mine, and I tried 2 PC's and a mac, its clearly something in my PB?

refreshing the wifi does not fix it

Any ideas?
    02-02-12 03:26 PM
    Did you try the above methods? Works everytime!
    02-02-12 03:37 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD