I've just watched the linked demo video and was amazed by how much in common with the PBOS Windows 8 will have in terms of the UI, specifically bezel control:

Windows 8 Consumer Preview: Product Demo - YouTube

Great to see that somebody else (besides webOS) is using bezel gestures as extensively as the Playbook. Bezel gestures are indeed a great idea.
    02-29-12 11:38 PM
    wow I heard that they were using a lot of bezel gestures in Win 8 but never relized it was so much
    03-01-12 12:01 AM
    PlayBook 3.0
    03-01-12 12:23 AM
    Once again RIM needs to get the message out about the innovations that they have brought to mobile/Tablet. I can see it now RIM drags their feet and the common consumer believes Apple or now Microsoft has invented a groundbreaking intuitive platform. It's almost as if execs that left RIM took what RIM was working on shared intell with Microsoft. The messaging is almost a carbon copy of the 2.0 messaging UI. One of the coolest things about PBOS is the Bezel. I have had people that don't know any better tell me "what's with the big black boarder around the screen? But once I show them that the entire device is active, they absolutely love it. PLEASE RIM DON'T LET MICROSOFT TAKE ALL THE CREDIT FOR THIS AND STEAL YOUR THUNDER. Or more than that, not get your own due credit or recognition.
    Funny how the slogan for Windows 7 was people thinking they invented it. I guess the big trick is to get people to think windows 8 invented the bezel gesture.
    C'mon RIM....MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING!!!!
    03-01-12 01:14 AM
    Once again RIM needs to get the message out about the innovations that they have brought to mobile/Tablet. I can see it now RIM drags their feet and the common consumer believes Apple or now Microsoft has invented a groundbreaking intuitive platform. It's almost as if execs that left RIM took what RIM was working on shared intell with Microsoft. The messaging is almost a carbon copy of the 2.0 messaging UI. One of the coolest things about PBOS is the Bezel. I have had people that don't know any better tell me "what's with the big black boarder around the screen? But once I show them that the entire device is active, they absolutely love it. PLEASE RIM DON'T LET MICROSOFT TAKE ALL THE CREDIT FOR THIS AND STEAL YOUR THUNDER. Or more than that, not get your own due credit or recognition.
    Funny how the slogan for Windows 7 was people thinking they invented it. I guess the big trick is to get people to think windows 8 invented the bezel gesture.
    Sorry but I don't believe bezel gestures are a RIM invention. Palm used almost exact bezel gestures way before RIM.

Last edited by kennyliu; 03-01-12 at 01:24 AM.
    03-01-12 01:18 AM
    You mean those flick gesture and bezel swipe RIM copy from webOS?
    Like that is not enough, now you also want RIM to take credit for "innovations"
    lol
    03-01-12 01:29 AM
    Very nice. For me, that is the competition, not iOS or steroids, sorry androids.
    03-01-12 01:29 AM
    So I watched the video. I don't see it as that similar to PlayBook. It doesn't appear to even use the "bezel" as much as it uses the extreme edge of the screen. Especially on the PC desktop. As long as RIMM maintains the fluid interface we already see today, I don't see Microsoft winning the ease of use battle.
    thymaster likes this.
    03-01-12 02:11 AM
    well... its a good thing that RIM isnt relevant to the market anymore because they dont innovate anymore...

o wait, apple may be releasing a 7 incher and microsoft stole bezel functions...
    03-01-12 02:14 AM
    well... its a good thing that RIM isnt relevant to the market anymore because they dont innovate anymore...

o wait, apple may be releasing a 7 incher and microsoft stole bezel functions...
    Let's try again. Microsoft stole bezel functions from whom?
    03-01-12 02:15 AM
    Let's try again. Microsoft stole bezel functions from whom?
    never said it was RIM, im just saying that if someone copies something it is because it works. other people made 7 inchers before RIM. Im just saying that the main complaints against PB are that it is too small and 'not ios' yet apple is trying to get smaller (maybe) and microsoft is going the bezel route... so obviously those two arguments are irrelevant.
    03-01-12 02:21 AM
    never said it was RIM, im just saying that if someone copies something it is because it works. other people made 7 inchers before RIM.
    Sorry I misunderstood you. You just had the following line there:

"well... its a good thing that RIM isnt relevant to the market anymore because they dont innovate anymore..."

Im just saying that the main complaints against PB are that it is too small and 'not ios' yet apple is trying to get smaller (maybe) and microsoft is going the bezel route... so obviously those two arguments are irrelevant.
    You are confusing me even more. One of the main complaints is that the PB is 'not ios' and microsoft is going the bezel route????????????????
    03-01-12 02:27 AM
    Dual booted this thing on my laptop and after playing with Win 8 Preview for a couple hours, I am appalled

Maybe this will make a good tablet OS, but as a desktop OS it's just horrendous. It's just plain counter-intuitive and unusable IMO.

I am sticking to Windows 7, which probably is the the best desktop OS outthere and will remain such for a few more years.
    03-01-12 03:48 AM
    So I watched the video. I don't see it as that similar to PlayBook. It doesn't appear to even use the "bezel" as much as it uses the extreme edge of the screen. Especially on the PC desktop. As long as RIMM maintains the fluid interface we already see today, I don't see Microsoft winning the ease of use battle.
    Seriously I already have a hard time teaching people to learn the PB interface. The PB was ease at first sight to me but to others who aren't tech savvy it might be overwhelming. Sorry to say but Windows 8 is a turn off at first sight. Way to much info and features. I think most people will have a hard time adopting to this kind of interface. Concept is great and the innovation is there but the billion dollar question is, will people buy into this?
    03-01-12 03:56 AM
    When windows 8 and Microsoft phone and tablet are out, the market will reshape big time. I can see Microsoft, apple, and android are the 3 main competitors and rim will just be the little one no chance to compete with them.
    03-01-12 05:30 AM
    I've just watched the linked demo video and was amazed by how much in common with the PBOS Windows 8 will have in terms of the UI, specifically bezel control:

Windows 8 Consumer Preview: Product Demo - YouTube

Great to see that somebody else (besides webOS) is using bezel gestures as extensively as the Playbook. Bezel gestures are indeed a great idea.
    The problem with bezel gesture, as much as I'm used to it, is that it requires bezel. This will be a problem on BB10 phones unfortunately, because most likely they will not have side bezels, which means inconsistent user experience from PB to BB10 phones.

Just don't forget who brought the whole multi touch gesture along with capacitive touch screen to smartphones and tablets.
    03-01-12 07:37 AM
    Dual booted this thing on my laptop and after playing with Win 8 Preview for a couple hours, I am appalled

Maybe this will make a good tablet OS, but as a desktop OS it's just horrendous. It's just plain counter-intuitive and unusable IMO.

I am sticking to Windows 7, which probably is the the best desktop OS outthere and will remain such for a few more years.
    Sorry but I disagree with you. Even my non techie wife was able to get use to it in a few hours. This is then new OS and Ecosystem. Windows 8 on PCs, Tablets, Laptops along with Windows Phone 8 and Xbox Next will be a force to be reckoned with.
    03-01-12 07:39 AM

You do realize that you can go behind the tablet-style Start screen and get to a desktop that's pretty much the same as Windows 7, don't you? In fact, if you have two monitors, you can have both side by side.

When windows 8 and Microsoft phone and tablet are out, the market will reshape big time. I can see Microsoft, apple, and android are the 3 main competitors and rim will just be the little one no chance to compete with them.
    I'm afraid (for RIM's sake) you're right. Right now, I have a PB because I have a BB. They combine well together. My PC(s), however, is/are where the beef is. With a Windows 8 tab and phone, that would be the combination of choice. Unless, of course, they suck, but from what I see, it looks like the user experience will be just the opposite. We'll see . . .
    03-01-12 07:56 AM
    Not sure why I read this discussion...3 minutes of my life I'm not getting back...
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-01-12 08:09 AM
    Did anyone else see the swipe from top of the browser to access tab? This is a total rip off. Once again it will seem like this is all new technology and the pb didn't already have this for atleast a year now.
    03-01-12 08:50 AM
    Did anyone else see the swipe from top of the browser to access tab? This is a total rip off. Once again it will seem like this is all new technology and the pb didn't already have this for atleast a year now.
    Once again? lol, Did you already forgot how RIM "totally rip off" webOS flick gesture and bezel swipe?
    03-01-12 09:21 AM
    Regardless of who got it from where, Its all eerily similar. I feel like I caught my girl cheatin!!! LOL!!!
    03-01-12 10:06 AM
    Fact is, everyone is copying something. The question is how well can they execute it. I personally like what MS did with the swiping on Windows 8. I'm a fan of the bezel swiping on the PlayBook but I think MS is taking it to the next level.
    03-01-12 10:44 AM
    You do realize that you can go behind the tablet-style Start screen and get to a desktop that's pretty much the same as Windows 7, don't you?
    LOL, of course I do. The problem is that you have to go behind a certain layer to use Win 8 in the non-tablet mode. Even then, the Start button is gone. It takes many more clicks to get where you actually want to get. All these mambo-jambo corner and side controls are just annoying.

In summary, everything has been designed for touch interaction and not for mouse and keyboard input.

I am really hoping that Microsoft will let those who do not want a "tablet OS" disable all this metro nonsense.
    03-01-12 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD