Hi friends, my wifi connection is down. So i was trying to use this trick to get my windows 7 lappy to create a wifi hot spot, so that i can finally connect my playbook to wifi aka App World

Ive been trying this from almost 5-6 hrs now with no luck, my playbook does not pick up the wifi signal. Can someone please give it a try and see if it works for you.

Thanks
    LimeTrip
    09-02-12 03:04 PM
    But how can the laptop serve as an hotspot if it doesnt receive any net from the router?(its down,right?)

Confused :s

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-02-12 03:15 PM
    But how can the laptop serve as an hotspot if it doesnt receive any net from the router?(its down,right?)

Confused :s

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    The laptop gets internet from lan cable or usb dongle. So in this case the wireless adapter is not connected to internet, this allows us to use this adapter as a wifi hotspot.
    09-02-12 03:28 PM
    Check if another peripheral can access your laptop's wifi hotspot

Also.... when my laptop is connected to some hotel internets, my PB will see my PlayBook, but is not able to get any internet throughput. I have always assumed that this is some nasty hotel trick to make you pay for multiple internet connections (@$15/day etc etc)

Wifi hotspot is built into my current Samsung laptop, but on my previous Sony, I had to download a free programme called Connectify

Hope this helps!
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    09-02-12 03:32 PM
    Download and install "connectify" on your laptop.

Edit: Sorry,BigAl_BB9900. Seems we posted at the same time that's why didn't know that you had also recommended connectify.
    Last edited by usedberry; 09-02-12 at 03:36 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 and LimeTripBlog like this.
    09-02-12 03:32 PM

Edit: Sorry,BigAl_BB9900. Seems we posted at the same time that's why didn't know that you had also recommended connectify.
    Connectify,was one of the first softwares that i tried, it did'nt work for me/playbook then i tried "virtual router" and "finally mhotspot" . Has anyone been able to connect their playbook to wifi using connectify. Can anyone please test it with PB and confirm.
    09-02-12 03:45 PM
    connectify worked for me, but connection is not stable keeps disconnecting, but that's good enough. Thanks for all the help.
    09-02-12 04:12 PM
    connectify worked for me, but connection is not stable keeps disconnecting, but that's good enough. Thanks for all the help.
    If your connection is unstable then you need to update your drivers. You can find this help on the connectify website. I had the same problem back when I first tried it. The updated drivers fixed it. It works so well in fact that I had a os 6 berry tethered to the laptop with the app tether and used connectify to create the hotspot. I played Modern Combat, download apps and more on my PlayBook, all from a 9670 tethered to a win7 laptop
    BigAl_BB9900 and LimeTripBlog like this.
    09-02-12 07:45 PM

no need to say sorry.... 'great minds think alike...'
    usedberry likes this.
    09-02-12 07:48 PM
    If your connection is unstable then you need to update your drivers. You can find this help on the connectify website. I had the same problem back when I first tried it. The updated drivers fixed it. It works so well in fact that I had a os 6 berry tethered to the laptop with the app tether and used connectify to create the hotspot. I played Modern Combat, download apps and more on my PlayBook, all from a 9670 tethered to a win7 laptop
    Thanks buddy, i updated the wireless adapter like you said. Now the connection is much stable than before, but it still keeps disconnecting after a minute. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone tried connecting playbook using only windows (without using any softwares like connectify)
    09-03-12 01:27 AM
    Thanks buddy, i updated the wireless adapter like you said. Now the connection is much stable than before, but it still keeps disconnecting after a minute. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone tried connecting playbook using only windows (without using any softwares like connectify)
    Hmmmmmmm. Idk all I can say is you could try checking the faq on the website. It works great when I use it and it never drops connection.
    09-03-12 11:20 AM
    Hmmmmmmm. Idk all I can say is you could try checking the faq on the website. It works great when I use it and it never drops connection.
    Ive tried 2 softwares now and both are dropping the connection, so its something to do with my new laptop, can't figure out what?

Edit: make it three softwares
    1. connectify
    2. virtual router
    3. my hotspot

They all connect, but keep dropping wifi
    Last edited by LimeTripBlog; 09-03-12 at 11:39 AM.
    09-03-12 11:32 AM
    you might want to use a driver whiz program to search and find outdated drivers on your pc. I can assure you that connectify is a solid program.
    09-04-12 11:23 PM
    you might want to use a driver whiz program to search and find outdated drivers on your pc. I can assure you that connectify is a solid program.
    Thanks I'll give it a try, also I was wondering if there's something wrong with my Operating system im using windows 7 home basic. Can it this be the reason it's not working?
    09-05-12 01:35 PM
    Thanks I'll give it a try, also I was wondering if there's something wrong with my Operating system im using windows 7 home basic. Can it this be the reason it's not working?

basic shouldn't have anything to do with it. the personal hotspot was a project microsoft scraped. Certain Intel adapters have the drivers built in if you search intel's website you should find them just fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    09-05-12 03:09 PM
    Thanks for all the help I got it to work
    It was a driver problem.
    09-05-12 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD