07-14-13 05:22 PM
210 ... 789
tools
    I hope your optimism is rewarded.
    sorry for this pessimist attitude. winrt wont run on playbook, because you need to have EFI firmware. i am not sure if you know whats EFI (you as in generic public), and winrt needs 1.8 gigs cpu. which you cant have. you can over clock it, but then battery gone and life also gone and heating too much.
    but yes windows 7 mango can run on it. w/o issues. didnt like what i said complain to M$.
    and whats worse EFI must have secure boot on. which is as good as blackberry's current bootloader. i have the entire requirement doc i will upload it if you are keen on reading it. you will see what i said here is what exactly said there.
    so winrt is a pretty much period. and win 7 arm? hmmmmmmmm! i need to scratch my head. i can download the source, but if i compile win7 source and make it as an OS, how will people use it. it will be like plain bland windows OS with out the fancy stuffs, which you expect. win7 arm mango. hmmmm bootloader issue. else cool!
    thanks!
    -paul
    p.s. i dont want to ruin my device with ever resource hungry M$ OS, where everything is still nothing. blahhhhhh
    07-11-13 05:13 AM
    Regardless of the announcement of the pb's death I bought an I pad an the difference is out of this world, the screen resolution, app choice omg being a BlackBerry user for years and seeing no other way. I still took the plunge and bought an I pad and haven't touched the pb since.

The ipad is as good as the pb imo at multitasking for MY needs, spotify/music whilst browsing etc works perfectly.

I cloud is pretty cool to yes it's a glorified dropbox/box but it's seemless it just works and that's what I have to say about the ipad and apple os it just works it's smooth and reliable.

My pb on the other hand doesn't have the same finesse it's missing apps, a simple ui and the thing BlackBerry are aiming for a computing platform I now get ios and mac os. But I'm not replying my z10 the thing is too good and my Windows laptop is to familiar, but sorry BlackBerry the PlayBook should rip imo, focus on the new devices and when there is a full app eco system then resurrect the pb as Apple did with the ipad.

I said to the wife the z10's we have are devices made for one purpose reliable communications the pb is fun

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-11-13 08:16 AM
    I went with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and after 7 months I'm still in love with this tablet. I use it at work, home, and with the hotspot feature on my trusty old Bold 9900 I don't even haul my laptop around for work anymore. Never thought I'd be an Android fan but man do I like it!
    07-11-13 10:06 AM
    I went with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and after 7 months I'm still in love with this tablet. I use it at work, home, and with the hotspot feature on my trusty old Bold 9900 I don't even haul my laptop around for work anymore. Never thought I'd be an Android fan but man do I like it!
    I could look but does it have hdmi output? I noticed the 8" does NOT have hdmi out. If it does not, do you miss it as a feature?
    07-11-13 10:45 AM
    I'm waiting to see what the Ubuntu tablet will be like and it's capabilities. (spring 2014)

All my systems at home are Ubuntu so I'm assuming there will be some great interfacing but I'm not holding my breath.

I figure there will be many advancements between now and then with tablet technology so I'll wait. My PB still does mostly everything I need it to do.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 12:58 PM
    I'm looking into the Galaxy Note 8.0 myself. There is no HDMI port, but the micro USB port is MHL enabled; you can get an adapter to use an HDMI cable.
    07-11-13 01:45 PM
    I'm waiting to see what the Ubuntu tablet will be like and it's capabilities. (spring 2014)

All my systems at home are Ubuntu so I'm assuming there will be some great interfacing but I'm not holding my breath.

I figure there will be many advancements between now and then with tablet technology so I'll wait. My PB still does mostly everything I need it to do.

Posted via CB10
    only ubuntu fans will buy it. besides how tough is it to chroot and install ubuntu via debootstrap? i must have done this 100's of time on my n900 and a custom kernel. if proper technique is used then you can even turn this playbook into any linux &/ *nix machine. all it needs is the magical chroot and debootstrap or cdebootstrap (for finer control).
    the only problem right now for me is? how to blow the efuse (soft) in playbook, else i have already designed everything else needed for a debian install. sorry i am not an ubuntu fan. i dont do ubuntu. still a loyal debian fan since 2002-2003, till date!
    but anyway YMMV. ubuntu tablet? nahhhh! my friend works for cannonical, he invited me to join. i refused. then i did think then i call him up and said yes. then i again did think for 15 mins. and told him. sorry not cannonical.
    but thats my opinion. yours will vary so YMMV!
    thanks!
    -paul
    p.s. plus i didnt find anything cool in any ubuntu device. and unless you know *nix or linux how good will it be? 99% like android or ipad, so i think they will stick to it. and ubuntu tablet wont do jack! but again that my opinion.
    07-11-13 02:11 PM
    Just bit the bullet - purchased a Nook HD+ to replace most of what the PlayBook does. The PlayBook will remain as an alarm clock and portable media player.

The Nook HD+ has a gorgeous screen, but comes bundled with Barnes & Noble's own, rather crippled, version of Android 4.0. I have wiped this off completely and replaced it with a Vanilla 4.2 Android install.

Highly recommend it for its current price.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 04:22 PM
    I am very unhappy with the PlayBook situation but buying another tablet out of spite in no way helps me
    Agreed but I wouldn't do it "Out of Spite" either. More like, out of necessity.

There are many things I have seriously bee waiting for my PlayBook to be able to do but the decision to Axe playbook development just closed that door- few serious third party developers will spend resources to develop for it now. Nobody makes saddles for dead horses.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-14-13 04:48 PM
    Agreed but I wouldn't do it "Out of Spite" either. More like, out of necessity.

There are many things I have seriously bee waiting for my PlayBook to be able to do but the decision to Axe playbook development just closed that door- few serious third party developers will spend resources to develop for it now. Nobody makes saddles for dead horses.
    There are certain things the PlayBook really can't do properly. Primarily, the browser is broken and the AIR based keyboard at times impossible through lag. Thoroughly recommend having another tablet for most things, and just keeping the PlayBook for the couple of things it excels at (audio for example).

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 05:22 PM
210 ... 789