Grab a surface pro 128gb

Posted via CB10
    Too large for me. Maybe if they come up with a pb sized version I'd be interested.
    07-01-13 12:08 PM
    I like the Z10 and have no reason to bail but as for the playbook, the handwriting on the wall (blackberry's "Continued Support") says that no more OS updates are coming outside a minor bug fix or two.

I am eyeballing the Kindle Fire HD, as it has a faster processor and better screen resolution than the playbook but has full app support like Skype, kindle e books, Netflix streaming, everything I have been waiting for but regrettably ignored by blackberry. My understanding is its dual band wifi is unmatched currently in the field of tablets and the dual speaker system is excellent.

I lament that amazon was able to do what blackberry couldn't or wouldn't in a short period of time. As I look at the tablet market out there today I am amazed at what companies can do that... well... want to sell products and make money.
    My PlayBooks all do the same thing that I purchased them for, that they were doing yesterday, and will do tomorrow. The browser's great, the HDMI support is great, the Documents To Go support is great. Adobe Support is great. It can run FLV (Flash) Videos just fine.

The applications that I want are installed. I suppose it would be nice to have "full" Skype on it but I purchased IM+ ages ago so I have what I want.

In my opinion the heart of the matter is that BB10 was developed to be a SuperOS - a real platform for the future. "BlackBerry" inherited the PlayBook from "RIM" and "BlackBerry" has a different set of objectives, a completely different management team, and a real focus on the future. Supporting legacy devices beyond maintenance mode is the right thing to do. Fix the Bridge issues and then leave it at that.

Tablets are, in general, a nice-to-have. My Z10 fills much of the role that the PlayBook did and even the PlayBook BT keyboard works well with the Z10

One of the cool things about this Forum - about CrackBerry people - is that they used to be Pioneers and outliers. We are early adopters, more often than not. SOMEtimes we take a hit for being "first" but it's rare and the rewards outweigh the risk.

The PlayBook remains a great device and there's nothing "wrong" with it.

Really - in 2 years - will any of this matter at all? Every mobile device that is currently on the market today will have a replacement mobile device in that time frame. In the case of Apple it's every year that whatever-you-bought-last-year-is-trash - we were lucky in that sense.

My thoughts.
    FF22, EchuOkan1, Geeoff and 1 others like this.
    07-01-13 12:20 PM
    I purchased a Sony Xperia Z Tablet last week. Really like it. Will sell (if I find a buyer) in a few months/weeks to buy a Xperia Z phone.
    07-01-13 12:20 PM
    I bought a mini clone a few days before the bad news was known, in case your interested
    Acer aconia a1 810 nice tablet but the screen is yellowish!
    Been spoiled by the pb screen I guess!
    07-01-13 12:24 PM
    I have several Playbooks and they all still do exactly what they have been doing for me. I don't need another tablet. I'm sticking with my Playbooks.
    yellowhammer and Bj Mac like this.
    07-01-13 12:29 PM
    Thanks F2. I've been thinking about that one, even though it's acer. That has the newest atom chip in it? How was it for responsiveness
    ?
    I will have to be honest - I don't know if it's the most recent chip and, of course, I was reading about the even newer Intel chip/processor that uses even less power. So that will constantly change. The technology changes week after week. It seemed responsive enough. Unfortunately, the sd card issue really threw me. I was pretty upset that my card with MY DATA was locked in the damn slot so my enthusiasm was dashed. It was the card from my BB Tour so it had a ton of data on it. I had tried small tweezers from a swiss army knife - not enough room. It was trapped in there for a day when I decided to gingerly probe with a very thin pen knife (tsa would not approve) and noticed it moved slightly. I applied a bit more pressure and it came out. I was trying not to mar the Acer. I was not sure if I had inserted it wrong or it was the Acer. IT WAS the Acer.

Browsing seemed reasonable. I downloaded some larger files. On the Acer Board some folks are complaining about wifi bars and some slow transfer rates. I've not been into specs like that - just how it performs for me. I did move some larger videos and folders from my computer using the Shared Public Folder. It was reasonable but others might think less so. I was stymied by the failure of usb to show it as a drive on my desktop but I might not have gotten that far.

One thing, as noted some Windows features are constrained in size/appearance. Similarly FONTS were smallish. Now whether this can be tweaked but I did not get there I don't know. It does have a high contrast mode but made stuff b/w. I was hoping it would word-wrap but I think that maybe apps designed pre-tablet do not respond to such amenities. I know there are new apps designed for the win8 tablet experience. I remember you use reading glasses to it might not be an issue. I'm an old f-art who does not need reading glasses (speaking of old f-art, I'm off to Silver Sneakers....)

I will say, on the Acer Board, some folks do not seem to like Acer support. Rarely do we read about Rim support regarding the pb. They did offer to repair my BRAND NEW unit with 7-10 day turnaround - that I did not like. Their support site is somewhat like the pb's. You need a valid Serial Number to even send them an email - mine was NOT valid as it was too new. Same with calling their tech number but I managed to get through. The support center was OVER THERE - where ever that is. Our mutual accents created some barriers!

Nothing is perfect. But my feeling was with Full WINDOWS, apps are there. But, alas, my pb's smooth interface has spoiled me.
    kbz1960 and pronomad like this.
    07-01-13 12:31 PM
    If you don't need a camera, Barnes and Noble are selling the Nook HD+ for just $149. 1080p screen, powerful CPU and GPU and expandable memory.
    07-01-13 12:33 PM
    still rocking my pb bridged to my 9800.Use it mainly for web browsing which is suprisingly fast even over 2g ,so no plans to dump my pb for a very long time to come hopefully .
    Geeoff and mexicangangboss like this.
    07-01-13 12:39 PM
    I will have to be honest - I don't know if it's the most recent chip and, of course, I was reading about the even newer Intel chip/processor that uses even less power. So that will constantly change. The technology changes week after week. It seemed responsive enough. Unfortunately, the sd card issue really threw me. I was pretty upset that my card with MY DATA was locked in the damn slot so my enthusiasm was dashed. It was the card from my BB Tour so it had a ton of data on it. I had tried small tweezers from a swiss army knife - not enough room. It was trapped in there for a day when I decided to gingerly probe with a very thin pen knife (tsa would not approve) and noticed it moved slightly. I applied a bit more pressure and it came out. I was trying not to mar the Acer. I was not sure if I had inserted it wrong or it was the Acer. IT WAS the Acer.

Browsing seemed reasonable. I downloaded some larger files. On the Acer Board some folks are complaining about wifi bars and some slow transfer rates. I've not been into specs like that - just how it performs for me. I did move some larger videos and folders from my computer using the Shared Public Folder. It was reasonable but others might think less so. I was stymied by the failure of usb to show it as a drive on my desktop but I might not have gotten that far.

One thing, as noted some Windows features are constrained in size/appearance. Similarly FONTS were smallish. Now whether this can be tweaked but I did not get there I don't know. It does have a high contrast mode but made stuff b/w. I was hoping it would word-wrap but I think that maybe apps designed pre-tablet do not respond to such amenities. I know there are new apps designed for the win8 tablet experience. I remember you use reading glasses to it might not be an issue. I'm an old f-art who does not need reading glasses (speaking of old f-art, I'm off to Silver Sneakers....)

I will say, on the Acer Board, some folks do not seem to like Acer support. Rarely do we read about Rim support regarding the pb. They did offer to repair my BRAND NEW unit with 7-10 day turnaround - that I did not like. Their support site is somewhat like the pb's. You need a valid Serial Number to even send them an email - mine was NOT valid as it was too new. Same with calling their tech number but I managed to get through. The support center was OVER THERE - where ever that is. Our mutual accents created some barriers!

Nothing is perfect. But my feeling was with Full WINDOWS, apps are there. But, alas, my pb's smooth interface has spoiled me.
    Thanks and yes I figured the desktop would still be painful for touch but usable. I have win8 on my lappy but I ignore the modern side. I haven't even checked out the modern side for awhile. When I did I felt the apps were lacking in options and settings, not sure if I'd like it any better on a phone or tablet where you have to more or less use touch.

I'm spoiled with pb UI myself, just if they would've fixed some annoying things about it. Damn you BBRY.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-01-13 12:44 PM
    Yeah, already dumped my PB for a Samsung Note 8. Very nice gadget! Sounds quality sucks compared to PB though.
    07-01-13 12:53 PM
    If I go to a new tablet it will probably be the iPad. It is simply the industry standard, and has the most app development focused at it. You can almost guarantee that if an app is getting developed, it will be on the iPad/iOS first. Hell even BlackBerry is going to get BBM on iPad before the PlayBook (which will never get it). I think you are seeing the beginning of BlackBerry's transition from smartphone maker to software/services provider. I'd almost bet that Bridge functionality is being developed between competitors tablets and BlackBerry phones.
    My wife and stepdaughter each have their own I pads. The only thing about them I can't tolerate is that iTunes limitation. On the BlackBerry devices you can plug it it via usb (or wireless sharing) and the devices become mass storage devices you access with folder browsing. Simple.

Again I'm thinking kindle fire HD or maybe nexus 7.

Kills me to see nearly every tablet out there has the apps I've been wanting except the playbook.
    GoodDogShelby and FF22 like this.
    07-01-13 01:01 PM
    For me, the PlayBook was "retired" long before BBRY made the announcement it would not get BB10.

Disappointed with PB from day 1 to the very end,especially after getting the Galaxy Note 10.1 and seeing all that a tablet can do when the manufacturer actually cares about making a great tablet. I wished I had been a visionary as others here who saw this coming and returned or resold the PB long ago.

I use the GNote 10.1 every single day and there is nothing you can want from a tab you cannot get from this, including some really interesting things that are exclusive to it.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-01-13 01:13 PM
    They're just so damn expensive...
    The Price is Too Damn High ?
    07-01-13 01:20 PM
    As regulars here will know, I bought myself an iPad1 to run Safari Online.

I'm sure the iPad is a stepping stone to somewhere else rather than a destination. The iPad is too big and heavy but the huge positive, as others have said, is that every App in the known universe will run on it.

From the iPad1, I might go for a Surface Pro - heavy but a very sexy bit of kit - or more likely at the moment is an iPad Mini - less heft than the iPad/Surface but retains the iPad advantage of having the biggest ecosystem.

My next tablet won't be an Android tablet. I can't seem to get on with Android - that's just me I'm sure, it wouldn't rule the world if it wasn't liked by millions.

I'm in no hurry. My iPad serves my current needs and we'll see what Xmas brings.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-01-13 01:20 PM
    I replaced my PB with a Nexus 10. Gorgeous screen and pure Android. One of the better decisions I've ever made.
    07-01-13 01:40 PM
    I like the Z10 and have no reason to bail but as for the playbook, the handwriting on the wall (blackberry's "Continued Support") says that no more OS updates are coming outside a minor bug fix or two.

I am eyeballing the Kindle Fire HD, as it has a faster processor and better screen resolution than the playbook but has full app support like Skype, kindle e books, Netflix streaming, everything I have been waiting for but regrettably ignored by blackberry. My understanding is its dual band wifi is unmatched currently in the field of tablets and the dual speaker system is excellent.

I lament that amazon was able to do what blackberry couldn't or wouldn't in a short period of time. As I look at the tablet market out there today I am amazed at what companies can do that... well... want to sell products and make money.
    iPad or Nexus 7 but iPad is still the gold standard so why buy any other?
    07-01-13 01:54 PM
    I have my free PB from BlackBerry Live (fka WES) and a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I rarely use either as I just don't have a use for them. I am either out and about and use my Q10 or am home and use my laptop. I leave my PB charging next to my TV chair just in case I need to look up something that I can't easily view on my Q10 and take my Tab2 for watching SlingPlayer when out of the house, but otherwise neither gets used much.
    07-01-13 02:14 PM
    iPad or Nexus 7 but iPad is still the gold standard so why buy any other?
    because you will pay up the *** for an ipad ....nexus 7 not so much
    07-01-13 02:47 PM
    because you will pay up the *** for an ipad ....nexus 7 not so much
    Nexus 7 priced much lower still cannot dethrone the ipad. That says a lot.
    07-01-13 02:49 PM
    I will continue to use my PlayBook as is. I enjoy using it(though I will admit the browser is a bit frustrating at times) and it pairs well with my Curve.

I purchased it without the knowledge of BB10 coming to it. When I heard it was coming I was excited, but a little hesitant. Once I heard the specs of the first generation of BB10 hardware I figured BB10 would not be making it's way to the PlayBook. The main reason is the RAM. Developers for BB10 are running off the assumption that there is 2GB of total RAM minus whatever the system uses. If one did a straight port over to the PlayBook it wouldn't have the RAM necessary to run the apps smoothly, even if the OS were to run smoothly. So, to me it's not surprise that BB10 is not coming to the PlayBook.

If I had to jump ship(meaning my PB died for whatever reason) I would search out a Windows 8 tablet or an 8 inch Android tablet. I think 8 inches is a great size for a tablet, the Galaxy Note 8 at Best Buy convinced me of that. Anything Apple is not a choice, I'm not apart of the Apple way of doing things now and I don't want to start. I'm hoping that by the time I have to purchase a new tablet BB10 will have matured a bit and a new tablet, or some other solution, is on the market.
    07-01-13 02:50 PM
    Nexus 7 priced much lower still cannot dethrone the ipad. That says a lot.
    I never said that the ipad was bad, just expensive.
    now if only ios didn't feel like it was made by fisher price (my opinion)
    07-01-13 02:56 PM
    I already own them ALL. I kind of mean that literally. I use them all, once in a while. Sometimes I pick up a particular tablet because it is closest out of the 3 tablets within a 5 foot radius of me. Sometimes I pick up a particular tablet to run a particular app. For example, I would get out of my chair and walk over to my iPad rather than use "Logitech Harmony" app on Android, because the iPad version is superior. When I want to make a Skype call, I use my LG Optimius LTE (on WiFi) because that's the right form factor for the device you run Skype on. I play Sudoku on my Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Whichever is charged and nearby. My partner likes my Transformer Infinity (Android) and I use my Transformer TF600 Windows 8 RT tablet in the kitchen as my recipe book when I'm cooking. My Lenovo Ideatab Lynx running full Windows 8 on an Atom process or is VERY good at running VLC and has all the codecs: no problem playing absolutely ANY media files: I even have full iTunes running on it, connected to my iTunes library over WiFi (no iTunes library local to the tablet).

The PlayBook is crippled. It has been since I replaced my 9810 with the Z10: Bridge on the Z10 is neutered.

If Bridge on the Z10 is brought up to speed again, and I can interact with the data on my Z10 through my PlayBook like I used to be able to do, it will regain its position as the tablet I have with me everywhere I go. At this time, I'm only carrying my Z10, no tablet.

So, keeping with your metaphor, I think I'd rather wait to see if there's any hope of patching the hole, because if I jump, I don't end up at a beach-front Bellagio.... I end up in either shark-infested waters, or on a garbage scow, or "all wet".

I'm just deciding now if I am going to the AGM and going to stand there in front of that microphone and say what I've been saying in various recent posts about the current state of the PlayBook.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-01-13 03:27 PM
    I already gave up on BlackBerry back in january. I sold my PB and got myself a Nexus 7. I miss the PlayBook's build quality and the gesture UI, but aside from that, the Nexus is a far superior device.
    07-01-13 03:41 PM
    I bought my 64GB iPad 4 last november during Black Friday. I never looked back to PB except for one thing: flash sites. But the PB browser was losing connection to internet so easy so I gave up. My iPad and my PB in the same spot, 3/3 signal on the iPad, 1/3 signal on the PB. I do not have to say again why I bought the iPad but here's a hint: apps. Docs to go is way better on iPad.

Today I bought a used Kindle Fire HD with 120 USD. Same form factor as the PB same display, better WiFi and more apps. I will receive it tomorrow and I will post findings if someone is interested.

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD
    07-01-13 04:14 PM
    I already jumped ship to the new Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, what an excellent tablet. I'm also waiting for the release of the new Galaxy Tab 3 lines in 7" 8" and 10.1" and the Google Nexus 2 7" is also on the way...
    07-01-13 04:32 PM
210 1234 ...