I like the Z10 and have no reason to bail but as for the playbook, the handwriting on the wall (blackberry's "Continued Support") says that no more OS updates are coming outside a minor bug fix or two.

I am eyeballing the Kindle Fire HD, as it has a faster processor and better screen resolution than the playbook but has full app support like Skype, kindle e books, Netflix streaming, everything I have been waiting for but regrettably ignored by blackberry. My understanding is its dual band wifi is unmatched currently in the field of tablets and the dual speaker system is excellent.

I lament that amazon was able to do what blackberry couldn't or wouldn't in a short period of time. As I look at the tablet market out there today I am amazed at what companies can do that... well... want to sell products and make money.
    07-01-13 08:52 AM
    Surface RT or Pro.
    dphjeff likes this.
    07-01-13 08:56 AM
    If you do get one, I'd be interested in how it works paired with the Z10. I miss my bridge from 9900 to PB. I'm somewhat in your camp though.
    07-01-13 08:57 AM
    If you do get one, I'd be interested in how it works paired with the Z10. I miss my bridge from 9900 to PB. I'm somewhat in your camp though.
    Totally miss the bridge from my 9850.... i was enjoying the file swapping, sms texting, etc.

Surprisingly that is one feature the other companies haven't got on board with... whereas many of the other features of the playbook were mirrored in the competition and in some degrees improved.

Real app support, a real kindle e books client and Netflix are high on my list and the KFHD has them in a 7" tablet. I want to stick to smaller tablets because the 10" versions are a little too cumbersome for me. Maybe for one at home but there I have a laptop and desktops.
    07-01-13 09:05 AM
    The announcement happened Friday and I bought an iPad Mini the next day. I held out until the end and decided I was done. Now after playing with the Mini for a couple of days I realized just how much much better the PlayBook is compared to it. The app selection is obviously better than the PlayBook and the quality of apps (for the same apps) is better (but there is no reason the app on the PlayBook couldn't have been just as good), but navigation and multitasking on the PlayBook is considerably better. I actually feel the Mini can't keep up with me which is a little frustrating.

RIP PlayBook...you were just too smart for the masses.

Posted via CB10
    merp23, zackoff96, wehttam and 4 others like this.
    07-01-13 09:18 AM
    I've had an iPad I got as gift last year that I've been using more and more and the PlayBook has started to collect dust. That said with my Z10 I no longer feel the need to take my iPad or PlayBook around with me on a daily basis.
    rifka_f and Geeoff like this.
    07-01-13 09:24 AM
    If I go to a new tablet it will probably be the iPad. It is simply the industry standard, and has the most app development focused at it. You can almost guarantee that if an app is getting developed, it will be on the iPad/iOS first. Hell even BlackBerry is going to get BBM on iPad before the PlayBook (which will never get it). I think you are seeing the beginning of BlackBerry's transition from smartphone maker to software/services provider. I'd almost bet that Bridge functionality is being developed between competitors tablets and BlackBerry phones.
    Sparro and podes2204 like this.
    07-01-13 10:33 AM
    If I go to a new tablet it will probably be the iPad. It is simply the industry standard, and has the most app development focused at it. You can almost guarantee that if an app is getting developed, it will be on the iPad/iOS first. Hell even BlackBerry is going to get BBM on iPad before the PlayBook (which will never get it). I think you are seeing the beginning of BlackBerry's transition from smartphone maker to software/services provider. I'd almost bet that Bridge functionality is being developed between competitors tablets and BlackBerry phones.
    They're just so damn expensive...
    zackoff96 and Enyigma like this.
    07-01-13 10:34 AM
    I will repost what I posted in another similar thread (oh, I elaborated more in this post):

Well, I just returned a new but defective Acer W3 tablet. It is their 8 inch, Full Win8 tablet with separate accessory bluetooth keyboard.

The problem was if you inserted a micro-sd card into the slot, it would not release back out. It should be "spring loaded" and pressing on it should make it pop back up so it can be removed. Not on my unit. And when I returned it, they tested with their sd card on the Demo Floor Model - same problem. I left and they were still trying to remove the card. I had removed mine (my bb one) using a very thin pen knife.

Initial impressions, nonetheless. Screen was nice but I think the pb's is better. Speakers are located along one short edge, so not directed at you like the pb's. I tried hooking it up to my tv using an hdmi switcher box and it did not work whereas that's where I attach my pb which does work. But it did work on my other tv when directly connected. Did not fully scope out why. Win8 is new for me so it was somewhat awkward using it at first and using it on the screen. I did actually pair it with my 9930 and could move a cursor around. I may have missed something but hooking up to usb, I never did see it as a drive to accommodate easy data transfer. I did use the PUBLIC Network folder to move some stuff around between it and my pb.

I will say that I think the pb's swipe will forever spoil me. I kept trying to wake it with a swipe - you need to press a button along one edge. Similarly, trying to swipe away apps.

Now depending on your perspective it is a Windows tablet. But I immediately used IE to download Firefox. I copied over my Firefox desktop profile to it and instantly all of my extensions were there, my bookmarks. It just worked. I downloaded and installed Jetaudio and the generic Media player - just standard downloads. I tested it with flac and mkv files - no issues. I downloaded a "God" program that gave me full control over some hidden functions. So, it just runs standard Windows programs. Issues with standard programs on the small screen - some Windows controls are small or rather thin. The Close, Minimize, etc buttons at the tops of windows are rather small. The scrollbar on the right of windows is thin and hard to grasp as is the scroll button at the bottom of that scroll area. Maybe there are tweaks for that but I unfortunately inserted that sd card and when it would not come out, I stopped installing stuff, afraid there would be more stuff to try erasing (I did not know win8 has a complete ERASE feature that I ultimately used) if I had to return it. Win8 was new so that hampered some of my efforts in exploring. It comes with a kindle app, Word and Excel and some other stuff.

It seemed sturdy enough. I did not like the on/off button, although it is actually a Standby button but in grasping the tablet I accidentally pressed it more than one time. It also has real Windows Button (like on the keyboard) on the front of the unit (kind of like an ipad home button).

Oh, one thing that I did not like compared with the pb is that when trying to type into address bars or other such areas, the keyboard does not appear automatically. You have to summon it. Maybe there's a setting for that.

It's bt keyboard has a niche in the back to hold the tablet. They keyboard is chicklet like but full sized as opposed to the pb's mini. Oh, it is not rechargeable but uses two AAA batteries. No trackpad. Did not really test it much before returning it. Unlike the accessory keyboards for the HP small tablet and the MS Pro/rt, the keyboard on the Acer can be used when detached from the tablet. So you can control the tablet across the room with it. I gather you could pair those other units with bt keyboards if you wanted.

Now that it is returned, would I buy it again - I'm thinking about it. They did not have any in stock, so just got a refund.
    kbz1960 and pronomad like this.
    07-01-13 10:35 AM
    Jump ship? They kicked us off the ship!

But yeah, I will probably either get the iPad or a Windows 8 tablet. I don't know which though. I will say that I don't like Android at all, so they are off the table for me.
    07-01-13 10:36 AM
    I will say that I don't like Android at all, so they are off the table for me.
    Ipad is the only one off the table for me.

Posted via CB10
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:41 AM
    I'll stick with the PlayBook. I don't really use tablets that much.

Posted via CB10
    dalight13 likes this.
    07-01-13 10:43 AM
    I ordered an iPad Mini on Sunday. I did it for the same reasons others have cited. While it pains me to surrender to the Apple machine, I am not the super techie that a lot of you are so it comes down to basic functionality. My tablet was supposed to be a bridge between my personal computer and my work computer. In other words, it was supposed to let me work and play. The PB really never succeeded at the Play part of its name.

I was really hoping that BB10 would span that gap, but alas we'll never know. The good news is that I only paid a $100 for it eighteen months ago so I got my money's worth out it.

Now I can't wait til the contract is up on my company phone so I can ditch my Torch and cut ties to BB. I've been a loyal customer since 2003, but not any longer.
    FF22 and soren203 like this.
    07-01-13 10:51 AM
    Grab a surface pro 128gb

Posted via CB10
    Send Again likes this.
    07-01-13 10:54 AM
    iPad mini is a nice device if you can accept Apple's way of getting content on to your device. I use iTunes for quite a few things, so I have no issues there. But once I don't want to use iTunes for something, I'm back on the PlayBook.

I've tried Android quite a few times, even with Jelly Bean, and I just can't get into the Android way.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 10:55 AM
    I held out as long as possible. I had a iPad first generation and my wife had a kindle fire. I bought the playbook for the awesome Blackberry Bridge on my legacy Blackberry. Well i got a Z10 this year and i love it however all of the BB functionality left. I held on and kept hoping for a update to Bridge and to the PB but alas after last Friday's call it is not meant to be. I have removed all of my work applications off and now bought me a new iPad. I have given my PB to my wife as a second kindle. She likes the size of her Kindle but the battery has never been there. Now she has two and can always keep one charged.
    07-01-13 11:10 AM
    At this point, a Surface Pro would be my next choice. Let's see what comes out out this fall....
    FF22 likes this.
    07-01-13 11:13 AM
    I purchased the Playbook with OS 2.0 loaded on it, and no information on whether BB10 would ever make it (As in before Heins even said anything). I'm happy with what it offers, thus I see no intention of jumping ship. On the other hand if I was too, I'm not too big of a fan of the Android UI, and Apple.....I'd probably try the Surface too.
    07-01-13 11:19 AM
    I am going to stick to my pb as long as possible. Hopefully a couple more years. And during this time I'm also hoping a better tablets that will copy the playbook and make it better than it's current form. I'm looking at you Samsung the copy cat of tech devices.
    07-01-13 11:19 AM
    You've nailed it on the head. I'm using my wife's iPad and will get an iPad Mini once the retina display arrives on it. I've even transitioned back to my iPhone 5 from my Z10.
    07-01-13 11:21 AM
    You've nailed it on the head. I'm using my wife's iPad and will get an iPad Mini once the retina display arrives on it. I've even transitioned back to my iPhone 5 from my Z10.
    You need to update your photo then
    07-01-13 11:25 AM
    Nah, not yet. Gonna wait till 10.2 comes out first.
    07-01-13 11:28 AM
    I decided that I'm quite happy with my Nexus 4 for mobile browsing needs thus I don't see much of a need for a tablet anymore. I mainly used a tablet to surf and stream media which the playbook was quite good for.

I went and checked out some ultrabooks and they do get a bit pricey but I found a sweet Canada long weekend special on a Toshiba Satellite with really nice Harmon Kardon speakers. It also has Windows 7 pre-installed which is key since I'm not a big fan of Windows 8 right now. So for 499 I picked up quite a powerful machine. I understand they aren't as portable as a tablet but thats just fine, its light enough to carry around the house with ease.

I now have a full browser that doesn't checkerboard like mad and it will hook up to my big screen tv just like my PB did via HDMI. It was this or an Ipad but clearly Im not one who benefits from all the apps in the app store.
    07-01-13 11:48 AM
    I will repost what I posted in another similar thread (oh, I elaborated more in this post):

Well, I just returned a new but defective Acer W3 tablet. It is their 8 inch, Full Win8 tablet with separate accessory bluetooth keyboard.

The problem was if you inserted a micro-sd card into the slot, it would not release back out. It should be "spring loaded" and pressing on it should make it pop back up so it can be removed. Not on my unit. And when I returned it, they tested with their sd card on the Demo Floor Model - same problem. I left and they were still trying to remove the card. I had removed mine (my bb one) using a very thin pen knife.

Initial impressions, nonetheless. Screen was nice but I think the pb's is better. Speakers are located along one short edge, so not directed at you like the pb's. I tried hooking it up to my tv using an hdmi switcher box and it did not work whereas that's where I attach my pb which does work. But it did work on my other tv when directly connected. Did not fully scope out why. Win8 is new for me so it was somewhat awkward using it at first and using it on the screen. I did actually pair it with my 9930 and could move a cursor around. I may have missed something but hooking up to usb, I never did see it as a drive to accommodate easy data transfer. I did use the PUBLIC Network folder to move some stuff around between it and my pb.

I will say that I think the pb's swipe will forever spoil me. I kept trying to wake it with a swipe - you need to press a button along one edge. Similarly, trying to swipe away apps.

Now depending on your perspective it is a Windows tablet. But I immediately used IE to download Firefox. I copied over my Firefox desktop profile to it and instantly all of my extensions were there, my bookmarks. It just worked. I downloaded and installed Jetaudio and the generic Media player - just standard downloads. I tested it with flac and mkv files - no issues. I downloaded a "God" program that gave me full control over some hidden functions. So, it just runs standard Windows programs. Issues with standard programs on the small screen - some Windows controls are small or rather thin. The Close, Minimize, etc buttons at the tops of windows are rather small. The scrollbar on the right of windows is thin and hard to grasp as is the scroll button at the bottom of that scroll area. Maybe there are tweaks for that but I unfortunately inserted that sd card and when it would not come out, I stopped installing stuff, afraid there would be more stuff to try erasing (I did not know win8 has a complete ERASE feature that I ultimately used) if I had to return it. Win8 was new so that hampered some of my efforts in exploring. It comes with a kindle app, Word and Excel and some other stuff.

It seemed sturdy enough. I did not like the on/off button, although it is actually a Standby button but in grasping the tablet I accidentally pressed it more than one time. It also has real Windows Button (like on the keyboard) on the front of the unit (kind of like an ipad home button).

Oh, one thing that I did not like compared with the pb is that when trying to type into address bars or other such areas, the keyboard does not appear automatically. You have to summon it. Maybe there's a setting for that.

It's bt keyboard has a niche in the back to hold the tablet. They keyboard is chicklet like but full sized as opposed to the pb's mini. Oh, it is not rechargeable but uses two AAA batteries. No trackpad. Did not really test it much before returning it. Unlike the accessory keyboards for the HP small tablet and the MS Pro/rt, the keyboard on the Acer can be used when detached from the tablet. So you can control the tablet across the room with it. I gather you could pair those other units with bt keyboards if you wanted.

Now that it is returned, would I buy it again - I'm thinking about it. They did not have any in stock, so just got a refund.
    Thanks F2. I've been thinking about that one, even though it's acer. That has the newest atom chip in it? How was it for responsiveness
    ?
    07-01-13 12:03 PM
    Thinking samsung's note phone and tablet
    07-01-13 12:06 PM
210 123 ...