I bloody well hope not. I LOVE it. Seriously, I really do. Blows any other style I've tried away. I'm no "fanboy". I own an android phone and prefer android - but only on phones. For tablets, the bezel swipe interface for navigating around your tablet is beautiful. I hope RIM doesn't give up on tablets because if they do.... I'm F'd. They're the only ones who have it AFAIK. I don't think I could ever go to the iOS or Android style of dumb-button UI navigation after this. Pressing a back-button 10x just to back out of an app you're 10 pages into seems stone-age compared to this. I never really gave it much thought until I encountered QNX.
    01-21-12 09:56 AM
    I bloody well hope not. I LOVE it. Seriously, I really do. Blows any other style I've tried away. I'm no "fanboy". I own an android phone and prefer android - but only on phones. For tablets, the bezel swipe interface for navigating around your tablet is beautiful. I hope RIM doesn't give up on tablets because if they do.... I'm F'd. They're the only ones who have it AFAIK. I don't think I could ever go to the iOS or Android style of dumb-button UI navigation after this. Pressing a back-button 10x just to back out of an app you're 10 pages into seems stone-age compared to this. I never really gave it much thought until I encountered QNX.
    I agree with everything you said about tablets (I'm not an android phone users and don't see me becoming one). I love the swipes, its a great way to navigate.

James
    peter9477 and mikeyplaybook66 like this.
    01-21-12 10:05 AM
    Yes! PB swiping is so much faster! Ease of access is most important to me. Thanks for thread.
    mikeyplaybook66 likes this.
    01-21-12 10:29 AM
    The only improvement for the hardware-side of the BlackBerry PlayBook is a 50% reduction in the width of the bezel area around the screen. This would provide a slightly larger viewing area all while maintaining the 7-inch tablet form-factor. The bezel must remain.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-21-12 11:00 AM
    The only thing roughly comparable will be the mode of navigation with Windows 8's tablet interface - not the same but somewhat similar. I don't think RIM has any intention of getting out of the tablet business but if they did, the only option that would be worthwhile would be the Metro interface. I can't stand the brutally clumsy android interface and would never touch an iPad.
    01-21-12 11:32 AM
    The only improvement for the hardware-side of the BlackBerry PlayBook is a 50% reduction in the width of the bezel area around the screen. This would provide a slightly larger viewing area all while maintaining the 7-inch tablet form-factor. The bezel must remain.
    There's an important trade-off between screen area and the width of the bezel area. When I first got my PB, I was frustrated at times because the screen became unresponsive - until I learned to avoid putting a thumb on the bezel's active area. I think that the current width makes it possible to hold the device comfortably without worrying about accidental finger placement.
    the_other_island likes this.
    01-21-12 11:33 AM
    It's one of the main reasons why I bought the PlayBook. Don't get rid of it!!!
    01-21-12 11:39 AM
    While this may benefit bare PB's or PB's in some cases this certainly would not be a good thing for those of us with OtterBox Defender cases.
    01-21-12 12:09 PM
    the swipe gestures become natural after a while - every time i try to use my coworkers android tab, i instinctively start swiping from the bezel. it takes a few tries before it clicks-in that i'm supposed to tap. I dont' thin rim will ever let the swipe feature go... it enables more screen realestate not having a nav-bar to get in and out of applications.
    01-21-12 12:51 PM
    I find myself trying to swipe around on my Android device now . It's wicked intuitive. When I first tried the PB at Best Buy I didn't understand how to work it at all. I really wish RIM had put out a sign to go along with demo units showing how bezel swipes work. I'm guessing potential buyers glossed over it when they couldn't work it like more familiar models (Android tabs, iPad, etc).
    01-21-12 01:32 PM
    I often find myself trying to the swipe gestures on my android phone.

I'm hoping they add the back swipe from the android player to the rest of the OS.
    01-21-12 02:20 PM
    I surely hope not. It was a bit of a learning curve at first but now I get frustrated with why the same gestures don't work on my Torch! LOL
    01-21-12 02:47 PM
    Hope it comes to the phones
    01-21-12 03:10 PM
    I'm swiping on my friends' phones and they are all like "dude...are you ********?" ... Swiping is SO fun...
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    01-21-12 03:19 PM
    I like the gestures, just wish I could remember my phone doesn't have them.
    ShotHimABox likes this.
    01-21-12 03:35 PM
    I don't see them going away. I do, however, see them getting ripped off adopted by other platforms...
    gladiatorofyale likes this.
    01-21-12 05:25 PM
    the bezel is unique to pb. i dont see us loosing it.
    01-21-12 09:00 PM
    The bezel swiping is indeed awesome. My girlfriend cannot put my playbook down. She has an Iphone and when I first got my 9700 she would instinctively touch the screen using her iOS instinct. Now, she's the one bezel swiping on her Iphone. It was absolutely awesome when I had caught her in the act.. Amazing
    01-21-12 09:46 PM
    This is a tricky decision.

(IMO) Currently the bezel is exactly the size of my thumb.
    Making it smaller will ruin the hole experience.
    The user must be able to hold the device without thinking he/she might drop it and without touching inside the screen at the same time.

Sent from my Playbook
    01-21-12 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD