When I'm in the simulator and click on a field that has text input, I notice that the PlayBook automatically brings up the on-screen keyboard (eating half the screen real-estate) even though I'm connected to a live keyboard - which works just fine - including cut&paste.

I'm hoping that if I'm connected with a Bluetooth keyboard, that the PlayBook is smart enough to realize this and NOT display the on-screen keyboard. Anybody know for sure? Thanks.
    04-04-11 11:17 AM
    When I'm in the simulator and click on a field that has text input, I notice that the PlayBook automatically brings up the on-screen keyboard (eating half the screen real-estate) even though I'm connected to a live keyboard - which works just fine - including cut&paste.

I'm hoping that if I'm connected with a Bluetooth keyboard, that the PlayBook is smart enough to realize this and NOT display the on-screen keyboard. Anybody know for sure? Thanks.

That is what it should do
    04-04-11 11:20 AM
    Ok so how about this scenario:
    HDMI out to big screen TV, and one clicks in an input field to bring up the keyboard, will the keyboard come on to the TV as well? If not it would be great, cos the PB can act as a keyboard and the TV as a display....no need for a seperate keyboard.
    Any ideas on how it would behave?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 01:37 PM
    I'm pretty sure it just mirrors the image, so anything you do on the PB, it shows up on the screen in use. I'm not certain though.
    04-04-11 01:48 PM
    I think it can be run in either fashion when connected to HDMI. I beleive in the options, there was an option for mirrioring the playbook on the tv.

In one of the demo's, they showed different images on the tv than on the playbook. That seemed like it was app dependent though.
    04-04-11 01:55 PM
    Ah that's right! It could be app dependent as they were running the TAT app when I saw that but would be nice to have an option.
    04-04-11 02:00 PM
    Does anyone know if you can have a wireless bluetooth keyboard paired to the Playbook, at the same time you are also paired to a blackberry phone using either/or tethering or the bridge?
    04-04-11 02:23 PM
    Does anyone know if you can have a wireless bluetooth keyboard paired to the Playbook, at the same time you are also paired to a blackberry phone using either/or tethering or the bridge?
    Yes, it has been stated that you can have many Bluetooth connections at one time.
    04-04-11 04:36 PM
    Yes this works but there is a minor or not-so-minor thing to be aware of...

When your PB sleeps and you go to wake the PB, it will only display the password field on the playbook. NO VIRTUAL KEYBOARD is showing up in build 1710. It should give you some sort of notice about the BT keyboard, which i had set off to the side and forgot about.

One ***** thing i did was launch an app, I think slacker, wasn't paying attention when a password dialog box came up. I entered what i thought was my slacker pw. After about 6 attempts it started to let me know i would only have 10 attempts and i needed to type blackberry to continue. Continue i did until i had burned through about the 10 possible pw's i would have used for this service...

On the last attempt it stated this would be the last attempt (nothing more), i thought finally i will get kicked out of this buggy screen which could not be canceled - no back button. WTF?? I get a screen that says "Your Playbook Will Now Be Deleted". It deleted the entire system and I had do a complete re-install, almost through the thing out the window!

Now it would have been ok with me if they had said something like "ENTER YOUR PLAYBOOK PASSWORD" or something like that but it was simply a password dialog box no indication of what password, it never said we about to screw you and delete the last 3 hours of configuring you have done.

SOOOOO be careful if you attach the BT keyboard. When I just saw this i thought oh buggy palybook let me hit enter on the empty password field and i should get the keyboard to come up.... uhhh i could have tried that 10 times and wiped the PB again but thankfully the fear of that made me go grab the keyboard which of course could input the password to wake the PB. Not sure what would have happened if the BT keyboard was out of range but it was asleep at this point.

I am sure there is info on this in the manual but who opens those???
    04-25-11 12:08 AM
    This was answered fro me in another thread, if you need the on-screen keyboard you can access it by simply swiping up diagonally from the lower left corner with or without a BT keyboard attached.
    04-25-11 06:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD