I have learned a lot about the Playbook on this site. I've learned that it has the brightest screen among tablets, it erases all personal data after ten incorrect passwords, it has best HTML5 rendering, etc.

I've also learned a lot by using it. I've grown to appreciate the UI and the ease of doing things on the Playbook. I've also learned that there are problems, some of which will soon be resolved.

But what has really bugged me is the incompetence of the Playbook reviews out there. The problem is that the reviewers review the Playbook as if it was another (Android?) tablet.

A good example is all the rant about the power button and how hard it is to press. But I believe, if the reviewer had actually used the Playbook for a few days before writing the review, he would probably know that the power button is not used as often as on other tablets. We have bezel swiping to wake the Playbook, so we don't need to use the power button.

The reviews also overlook or don't cover in due amount of detail the true strengths of the Playbook. E.g. the UI and the OS in general. I have yet to see a review that would actually give credit to how intuitive it is and how easy it is to open multiple applications and switch between them.

Instead, they start pointing out the weakness right away (there are a few of them). Which, to some extent, explains the current public perception of the device.

Anyway, with OS 2.0 there will be another round of reviews. I am sure they will be ignored by the masses who will basically say "Email and calendar? So what? That's standard on other tablets".

So I was thinking what if one of us or we collectively outline the strengths and highlight the aspects of the Playbook we believe sets it apart and write a draft review and send it out to media outlets (e.g. Engadget, PC World, CNet) as a guide for them to base their reviews on?

What do you think? Is this too naive of an idea? Will this work? Who wants to take on this task?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-31-12 at 10:02 PM.
    01-31-12 09:44 PM
    I am a professional reviewer of standing for some three decades, and to be honest I have not written a review of the PB, though I own two of them.

If I did, the reviews would be simply dreadful.

RIM did not keep its promises for the Playbook. Simply put, the apps and capabilities that were promised in its ads and releases were not there when the PB was released, when companies that believed in the promises spent $499 and more for each unit. Worse yet, the updates that were promised for the summer of 2011 never happened. Nor did they happen in the fall, or the winter.

The Playbook that was described in the pre-release statements is nothing even close to the crippled, limited, non-business tablet that appeared in May of 2011. And for those who pre-ordered the unit, it was vexing to see the price drop by more than $400 with no updates of value.

The sad truth is that reviewers are not in the employ of Apple of Google...are not prejudiced against RIM...do not hate Canadian companies...and are not giving the Playbook a bad rap. This is a tablet that simply failed to meet its own hype, failed to meet the promises of its manufacturer, and failed to meet the expectations of the users that RIM says it was created for.

If RIM turns that around with the 2.0 software, I will be the first to write about its wonders and sing its praises. But if it does not, I will not endanger my reputation of some 30 years just to please a handful of fanbois who hang out on this forum.
    Last edited by dmcclure2; 01-31-12 at 10:37 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-31-12 10:34 PM
    @dmcclure2. I hear you. But what I meant to say is not that the media is prejudiced against RIM. RIM and their execution of the Playbook got the bashing they deserved.

What I meant is that it is really obvious that the reviewers did not really use the Playbook before writing their reviews and, hence, did not give credit where credit was due.

I will be delighted to read your unbiased but yet comprehensive review when OS 2.0 is released. So, please, consider writing one.
    01-31-12 10:43 PM
    I am a professional reviewer of standing for some three decades, and to be honest I have not written a review of the PB, though I own two of them.

If I did, the reviews would be simply dreadful.

RIM did not keep its promises for the Playbook. Simply put, the apps and capabilities that were promised in its ads and releases were not there when the PB was released, when companies that believed in the promises spent $499 and more for each unit. Worse yet, the updates that were promised for the summer of 2011 never happened. Nor did they happen in the fall, or the winter.

The Playbook that was described in the pre-release statements is nothing even close to the crippled, limited, non-business tablet that appeared in May of 2011. And for those who pre-ordered the unit, it was vexing to see the price drop by more than $400 with no updates of value.

The sad truth is that reviewers are not in the employ of Apple of Google...are not prejudiced against RIM...do not hate Canadian companies...and are not giving the Playbook a bad rap. This is a tablet that simply failed to meet its own hype, failed to meet the promises of its manufacturer, and failed to meet the expectations of the users that RIM says it was created for.

If RIM turns that around with the 2.0 software, I will be the first to write about its wonders and sing its praises. But if it does not, I will not endanger my reputation of some 30 years just to please a handful of fanbois who hang out on this forum.
    i think the fact that RIM did not live up to the promises it made and the device is still just as goo, if not better, than every other tablet on the market is a POSITIVE more so than a negative. When OS 2 comes out i will be the one laughing at all the iPad owners who paid 3x what i did for the playbook in order to receive an inferior product.

As for the power button... I bought the Convertible case and, OH LOOK, there is a nub under it so the button press is easier... is that a fix from RIM??? I have had ZERO issue with it. So, again, something that unintelligent and biased people have jumped on to jumped on to show negativity towards the device is exactly worth NOTHING
    02-01-12 12:46 AM
    I totally agree with you kennyliu. But I am not afraid to admit that most media are prejudiced against RIM. I work in a newsroom at the Canadian national television, and I can confirmed that any (and only) negative news about RIM has been reported in the last 2 years. Today for example we presented and wasted 3 minutes on an unsignificant negative report about the BeBold cartoons linking this to how bad the company is going. Anytime the stock goes down 5%, it is mentioned, but never talk about the next day when it goes up 10%! Nobody hears either about RIM new devices. We started talking about the Playbook when the sales turned out to be bad. Yes, I agree that RIM did not held its promises regarding the software, I waited all summer and fall. But most bad reviews were written in the spring. And what about its qualities and superior hardware. It still is perceived as an unusable piece of trash. The general and false perception even amongst "knowledgeable" journalists is that RIM is already bankrupted! You should have seen the reaction of my colleagues when I told them that, after some research, I got a Playbook (at full price) instead of an iPad2 back in June; a mix of disbelief and pity!

But on the other hand, anything new with an apple logo makes all of my colleagues salivate. And it goes "front page". None of the so-called objective journalists would even think about writing or saying anything negative about Apple. Yet, my experience with the iPad was not that convincing. I was annoyed with the size, weight, poor screen resolution (I could actually see the pixels in fonts) no Flash (our own television website uses Flash) bad camera, etc. I would have also loved to see more objective reviews on both devices. I saw some intelligent video reviews when the Playbook came out in Australia and France. More in line with the very good experience I have had so far with my Playbook.

So I confirm from the inside that not always justified negative and prejudiced news about RIM, and positive and biased news about Apple actually are the common consent and the norm in the newsroom. Even in Canada...
    Last edited by WIdo; 02-01-12 at 01:11 AM.
    02-01-12 12:53 AM
    dmcclure2,

I, too, have been writing professionally about technology - for roughly as long as you, I'm guessing - and I find your attitude quite troubling.

For starters, as a reviewer your job is to objectively evaluate a product while ignoring the inevitable hype and vendor spin. Yes, RIM promised the world with the PlayBook, but the end product - though flawed - still shows tremendous potential and also real innovation.

Your job is to weigh these flaws against the product's differentiating factors - revolutionary swipe UI, tremendous build quality, amazing screen - and assess both within the context of its most likely usage model: As an extension of the BB phone ecosystem.

Unfortunately, you (like most reviewers) focus on what's being said about the product rather than taking the time to see what it really does and how it might be of value within its intended use case scenario. So while I wouldn't call you biased (I don't know you well enough to make such an assessment), I do question the thoroughness and objectivity of your product evaluation process.

Randall C. Kennedy
    madman0141 and modine like this.
    02-01-12 01:33 AM
    Hopefully OS 2 will get positive reviews. The biggest gripes were no email and calender apps. Now that they're included in OS 2, there's not much to whine about right…right?
    02-01-12 02:01 AM
    Hopefully OS 2 will get positive reviews. The biggest gripes were no email and calender apps. Now that they're included in OS 2, there's not much to whine about rightright?
    That's not the issue. Yes, there won't be much left to whine about, but, at the same time, nobody will actually say "Look how I can swipe and switch to the next open application, etc." If reviewers don't do a thorough job RE-reviewing the PLaybook, everybody will forget about OS 2.0 the next day.

So it's more about using the momentum (OS 2.0 release and all the media attention) to finally highlight what the Playbook is capable of.
    02-01-12 02:07 AM
    Well, the question is....will these reviewers even DO a review of OS2.0 on the PlayBook...

I can see the engadget "review" of the OS 2.0 update as "blah blah blah...this should have arrived at launch...blah blah blah...the PIM apps are pretty good, but who cares because it lacks apps...blah blah blah..no ecosystem, useless...blah blah blah...why bother".

Good reviews are good for marketing the PB..but frankly RIM should just do a better job getting the devices into people's hands. Once people use them, they will find much of what the tech reviewers criticize as being irrelevant. I've personally gotten various co-workers to get playbooks and all of them actually like using it.
    02-01-12 02:15 AM
    For your information, I have bought my playbook after checking out the reviews online. There are plenty of good reviews about PLaybook, but still admitting the fact that apps on app world suck... s
    02-01-12 03:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD