What do you think? RIM and AT&T have been pretty much silent about whatever the issues are between them. This dispute is really harming AT&T users like myself who have bridge issues but RIM refuses to provide any support for them.

It seems like RIM has issues in general with carriers. Sprint is the only one that seems willing to sell the Playbook. What is going on here?

Can Playbook really succeed if RIM won't support bridging on AT&T phones?
    06-03-11 05:53 AM
    i think it's been made pretty clear by the people who have called RIM for support, they don't know even as much as the people on this site.

i don't know what issues you're having, but i'm sure there's someone here who can help.

i have AT&T and have bridge running without issue.
    06-03-11 06:36 AM
    i think it's been made pretty clear by the people who have called RIM for support, they don't know even as much as the people on this site.

i don't know what issues you're having, but i'm sure there's someone here who can help.

i have AT&T and have bridge running without issue.
    same but att wont allow direct ota download because they cant charge for it. it allows access to your phones internet without tethering or wifi hotspoting. they don't have a way to track weither you are or you aren't without violating your privacy. i never thought it was fair for them to charge for tethering on a horrid 3g network (atleast it is in NJ). looking at telus's plans canada seems like a more mobile friendly enviroment.
    06-03-11 06:47 AM
    I am seriously considering returning my PlayBook due to At&t and bridge issues. My wife's is going back today since she does not have wifi at her office and is having so many issues with the bridge browser. I will make my decision this week as I am still in my first 14 days.

I love the device but the issues with At&t have started to bother me. I will not be renewing my contract once it is done.
    06-03-11 07:02 AM
    OP should change the title (IMHO). AFAIK its AT&T causing the issues not RIM. I'm pretty sure that there were a few posts in here regarding a work around.
    06-03-11 07:05 AM
    The answer for Rim refusing to give me support is not that someone on Crackberry can help me out. First of all, no one here can. Second, it is Rim's product and to be flat out told that the Bridge is unsupported software because I did not get it through AppWorld is unacceptable.

AT&T is huge and getting huger because of the T-mobile acquisition. We can't just ignore the fact that AT&T and RIM have this issue that seems not to be going away.
    06-03-11 07:09 AM
    OP should change the title (IMHO). AFAIK its AT&T causing the issues not RIM. I'm pretty sure that there were a few posts in here regarding a work around.
    How is RIM refusing to give me support an AT&T issue?
    06-03-11 07:10 AM
    I think it's att who's the problem.... They want revenue for each devices that is using their data... And If you want to tether well it will cost you more...Glad im with rogers tethering is included in your data plan... Att sucks!!
    06-03-11 07:13 AM
    AT&T is huge and getting huger because of the T-mobile acquisition. We can't just ignore the fact that AT&T and RIM have this issue that seems not to be going away.
    I am,,,Why can't you?

RIM seems to be having no issues except with Evil ATT. Thus it would seem to be an exclusive issue with this one carrier. Said carrier will continue this way as long as folks send in their bill payments to them.

People are weak anymore and do not stand up to anyone or anything
    for more then 5 minutes. Folks need to get/grow a pair..glasses and balls!

Simple...

Tim
    06-03-11 07:22 AM
    I am,,,Why can't you?

RIM seems to be having no issues except with Evil ATT. Thus it would seem to be an exclusive issue with this one carrier. Said carrier will continue this way as long as folks send in their bill payments to them.

People are weak anymore and do not stand up to anyone or anything
    for more then 5 minutes. Folks need to get/grow a pair..glasses and balls!

Simple...

Tim
    So, you will pay my early termination fee?

RIM IS REFUSING TO GIVE ME ANY SUPPORT, NOT AT&T

To me, this makes it a problem with RIM, not with AT&T.
    06-03-11 07:25 AM
    RIM cannot support you because you are in an unsupported environment. AT&T is not supporting bridge and it is not RIM's responsibility to break any support contracts with AT&T to support something that AT&T does not want to have function.

i work for a very large hard drive company. when someone calls us with an OEM drive (a drive bought in a Dell, HP, Apple system), as dictated in the contract, our support team CANNOT support those hard drives. Dell, HP, and Apple have to/want to support them. we are not even supposed to talk to those customers.

it's the same thing here. just because RIM manufacturers the phone, doesn't mean they are going to support you outside of the terms of the contract they have in place aith AT&T.
    06-03-11 07:40 AM

Ok besides not being able to download the bridge from appworld (and there is a sticky post here that can by pass this issue) what other issue is there? Your gf cant connect at the office because they dont have wifi?

As has been stated already, this is an issue with AT&T, here in Canada, AT&T equivalent is Rogers, who supports RIM all the way.

RIM can't give you support because you are asking them for a work around to access a cellular network that has been documented to want you to pay for data on the device you are using. So you can't step on a carriers toes.

So the option is there to download the OTA bridge file that is in the sticky post. If you don't like it, please contact AT&T's CEO and tell him what you think, cause this is not a RIM issue.
    06-03-11 07:52 AM

I hear you but I'm going to have to disagree with you. The issue is out of RIM's hands. If I was AT&T and found out that RIM supported you on something that I intentionally disabled, I'd have serious issues with RIM.

Just my 2 cents...
    06-03-11 07:52 AM
    RIM cannot support you because you are in an unsupported environment. AT&T is not supporting bridge and it is not RIM's responsibility to break any support contracts with AT&T to support something that AT&T does not want to have function.

i work for a very large hard drive company. when someone calls us with an OEM drive (a drive bought in a Dell, HP, Apple system), as dictated in the contract, our support team CANNOT support those hard drives. Dell, HP, and Apple have to/want to support them. we are not even supposed to talk to those customers.

it's the same thing here. just because RIM manufacturers the phone, doesn't mean they are going to support you outside of the terms of the contract they have in place aith AT&T.
    I am not asking for support of my phone. I am asking for support of the Playbook.

When your company sells OEM drives, they are sold to an OEM for a cheaper price and the contract dictates that your company does not have to support them. You are not prohibited from supporting them. I am sure that the OEMs would love it if you did support them. That's crazy talk.

I have two RIM products: a Playbook and a Torch. The Torch has RIM's software on it. It can be downloaded from RIM itself on the Blackberry support forums website. RIM won't support this.
    06-03-11 07:56 AM
    Ok besides not being able to download the bridge from appworld (and there is a sticky post here that can by pass this issue) what other issue is there? Your gf cant connect at the office because they dont have wifi?

As has been stated already, this is an issue with AT&T, here in Canada, AT&T equivalent is Rogers, who supports RIM all the way.

RIM can't give you support because you are asking them for a work around to access a cellular network that has been documented to want you to pay for data on the device you are using. So you can't step on a carriers toes.

So the option is there to download the OTA bridge file that is in the sticky post. If you don't like it, please contact AT&T's CEO and tell him what you think, cause this is not a RIM issue.
    None of this is Correct! None of it.

AT&T is not blocking the bridge. The bridge works just fine with my wife's AT&T phone. The problem as far as I can tell is that my phone is on BES (another RIM product). Bridge works fine util I enterprise activate it. After I do, I lose the Bridge Browser. NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH AT&T'S NETWORK. IT IS ALL RIM ALL THE TIME. RIM WON'T SUPPORT THIS.
    06-03-11 08:00 AM
    If you are on BES could it not be a corporate IT policy keeping you out?
    06-03-11 08:07 AM
    I agree, it does sound like this may be a BES issue. I am on AT&T and got the bridge program for my 9700 OTA from the link provided in the forums. I am also on BES through the hospital where I work. I have had NO problems with my bridge programs working. I admit the browser is much slower than wi-fi, which hopefully can be improved with updates, but other than this my PlayBook bridged to my 9700 is working great!
    06-03-11 08:16 AM
    Of course it could be. But, I can reach any website from my phone. My IT department is willing to work with RIM. But, RIM WILL GIVE NO SUPPORT.
    06-03-11 08:16 AM
    Of course it could be. But, I can reach any website from my phone. My IT department is willing to work with RIM. But, RIM WILL GIVE NO SUPPORT.
    Because again, RIM supports BES to the carriers and to BES Admins. You are in a grey zone that RIM cannot support by both being on BES and AT&T. Again this is NOT RIM's fault for this.
    06-03-11 08:22 AM
    The problem I had was that when I contacted RIM support to get help with the bridge, the support rep eventually told me it was a BES issue, and beyond her area of expertise, so my support case was closed and I was told to go open a new BES support case. Not exactly helpful.
    06-03-11 08:34 AM
    Because again, RIM supports BES to the carriers and to BES Admins. You are in a grey zone that RIM cannot support by both being on BES and AT&T. Again this is NOT RIM's fault for this.
    As I mentioned, my IT Department is willing to trouble shoot this with RIM. RIM WILL NOT GIVE ANY SUPPORT.
    06-03-11 08:37 AM
    As I mentioned, my IT Department is willing to trouble shoot this with RIM. RIM WILL NOT GIVE ANY SUPPORT.
    AGAIN, THIS IS AN AT&T ISSUE. NOT RIM FOR THE BLOODY LAST TIME! RIM doesn't want to get involved in matters with a carrier that is not supporting the FREE bridge! SO CALL AT&T AND ESCALATE TO AT&T HIGHER UPS
    06-03-11 08:41 AM
    If you approached the RIM support people like you did here (not giving full details like you are bes) then I can understand your and their frustration. You were sent to the wrong area of support. It is a BES issue...your companies IT policies are blocking bridge. Talk to BES support and to your IT people. I am on ATT and my bridge with Playbook works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    southlander likes this.
    06-03-11 08:42 AM
    again, this is an at&t issue. Not rim for the bloody last time! Rim doesn't want to get involved in matters with a carrier that is not supporting the free bridge! So call at&t and escalate to at&t higher ups
    it has nothing to do with at&t. Other people on other carriers have the same issue. It is all rim.
    06-03-11 08:46 AM
    If you approached the RIM support people like you did here (not giving full details like you are bes) then I can understand your and their frustration. You were sent to the wrong area of support. It is a BES issue...your companies IT policies are blocking bridge. Talk to BES support and to your IT people. I am on ATT and my bridge with Playbook works fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    RIM understood the issue completely. They took all of the information about the issue. They suggested that there might be some IT policy that was responsible. I was told that they would investigate the issue and call me back. When I was called back, I was told that RIM WOULD OFFER NOT SUPPORT BECAUSE I DID NOT DOWNLOAD BRIDGE FROM APPWORLD. THUS, BRIDGE WAS UNSUPPORTED.
    06-03-11 08:49 AM
153 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD