11-28-12 01:48 PM
39 12
tools
    I heard many similar things when I was a Zune user on the Zune forums.

Unless you properly market/develop a product and make it a 'magical' must have then it's dead in the water.
    It is pretty clear that this generation playbook is done. if bb10 does well rim will come out with updated less expensive version to make playbook.
    11-27-12 06:10 PM
    I have seen playbook many times in the wild. Even today at doctors appointment some dude was killing time with his playbook.
    I see them quite a lot in Canada too. Saw a half dozen at the airport gate the other day actually.

Still, can't help but thinking Thorsten considers PlayBook a science project until BlackBerry 10 comes out.
    11-27-12 06:13 PM
    They just released a new, upgraded 1.5 ghz LTE PlayBook in August. Really speaks to RIM's lack of marketing of it that so many people here think the 'current' Playbook hardware is so old.
    RIM also isn't selling this at $129 for 32gb. Even accounting for the radio hardware that's different in the LTE/3G versions. There is no fiscal reason for RIM to build and sell one more PlayBook than they have committed to with the partners that build them. They took the write down for those.

The next generation of tablets from RIM will most likely be priced where the Nexus 7 is more or less, means pricing at least 50-100 dollars more than current per tablet. They had trouble selling PlayBooks at those prices previously. BB10 will be the difference that will allow them to try again.
    11-27-12 06:24 PM
    Yep! I still feel deep down that Thorsten is treating PlayBook as a bit of a science project to test features for BB10 and serve as a platform to get apps made that will work on BB10. The firesale pricing is just to clean up someone else's inventory management problem that he inherited.
    Yeah I might be wrong. But I always believed internally that once RIM was resigned to the PlayBook 1.0 being a commercial flop, they decided to just try and gain a user base even at a substantial loss. This -- to create more of a market for what are to become BlackBerry 10 apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-27-12 06:33 PM
    I wonder if people who bought the PB on the cheap would actually pay for apps.
    True, a normal bb user buys apps no matter the cost. Many of the new buyers are probably just people trying to get a cheap android tab...imo
    11-27-12 08:02 PM
    I see them quite a lot in Canada too. Saw a half dozen at the airport gate the other day actually.

Still, can't help but thinking Thorsten considers PlayBook a science project until BlackBerry 10 comes out.
    I've never seen a single PB in the wild, I live in NYC...
    11-27-12 08:04 PM
    Yeah I might be wrong. But I always believed internally that once RIM was resigned to the PlayBook 1.0 being a commercial flop, they decided to just try and gain a user base even at a substantial loss. This -- to create more of a market for what are to become BlackBerry 10 apps.
    Yeah - that's the way I look at it too. Feels like Thorsten is basically making the most of what he inherited (allegedly huge inventories of PlayBooks and parts in the warehouses) ... giving away Playbooks to promote app development, testing new features like the radio stack, building up the app base etc. Better to get some money for the inventory than scrap it ... and use it to pave the way for BB10. PlayBook revenue isn't materially significant to RIM in the grand scheme of things, but the write-down they took early on was. Now I think he doesn't want to dump a ton of money into it, but does see the value to making sure BB10 has more apps at launch and some features are in the hands of 2 million 'testers'.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    11-27-12 09:55 PM
    I have personally contributed 4 PlayBooks to the 2 million mark, with 2 more on the way for Xmas gifts. I am a little disappointed that I haven't seen one PlayBook physically in a store here in the US in the past 3+ months and many of the sites I've shopped are out. I wish some of those PBs being sold in Canada for practically nothing would make their way to the US.....
    11-28-12 12:44 AM
    What would be really good is having some stats:
    - how much active user per tablet compared to the sale base (let define active, used once in a month...) for all tablets...
    - how frequent is the tablet renew and what is brand fidelity
    I'm still using the playbook contrary to some early galaxy tab users, also thanks to its rare hdmi plug (waiting for miracast though in the future...), but wouldn't mind a better featured browser such as the bb10 one. I also see some early ipad in some library: at first it was new and exciting draining young to the library. They are now taking dust.
    11-28-12 05:52 AM
    What would be really good is having some stats:
    - how much active user per tablet compared to the sale base (let define active, used once in a month...) for all tablets...
    - how frequent is the tablet renew and what is brand fidelity
    I'm still using the playbook contrary to some early galaxy tab users, also thanks to its rare hdmi plug (waiting for miracast though in the future...), but wouldn't mind a better featured browser such as the bb10 one. I also see some early ipad in some library: at first it was new and exciting draining young to the library. They are now taking dust.
    I went with my wife about 8 months ago to renew her card so she could "borrow" books on her Kindle... would not call the few people that were there on a Saturday "young" by any means.
    11-28-12 09:45 AM
    I honestly think that RIM has very little to gain by aggressively marketing what is commonly referred to as their "failed tablet". It just invites (unjustified) criticism.

The PlayBook (both LTE and WiFi) will get a new lease on life with BB10. I believe that RIM will start pursuing aggressive sales of the PlayBook in other markets as companions to BB7 devices: Imagine in Indonesia and Nigeria, RIM continues to push the BB7 devices hard, at low cost... then markets the PlayBook as the tablet that works with the BB7 device, but gives a taste of BB10... then RIM will introduce BB10 handhelds... user base is growing in those markets, but RIM should be looking to the BB10 transition, and having the PlayBook with BB10 as a stepping stone makes sense.

What RIM should do is create Bridge software for Android and Apple devices.

I'm a RIM user, period, but for those who have Android or iOS phones, if there was Bridge for their phone to which PlayBook could connect via BlueTooth, some of the iOS and Android naysayers could feel what WE feel... marketing the PlayBook as a general purpose tablet was a botched job... it should have been marketed as the ultimate BlackBerry smartphone companion... like a docking station for your phone... keep your phone in your purse / pocket and enjoy the larger screen and great media capabilities, and when you pick up your phone, all your notes, calendar appts, deleted mail etc. are already there. Like a personal cloud that doesn't need an internet connection, with none of the (possibly irrational) fear of other people getting access to your private data.

For RIM to do this they would need to have deep-down access to the databases on those devices that Apple and Google guard (security reasons) but again, if only Android and iOS users could experience the seamlessness of the BB7/PlayBook "Bridge" experience, they just might open their mind to a BB10 handheld as their next upgrade.
    11-28-12 12:54 PM
    It is pretty clear that this generation playbook is done. if bb10 does well rim will come out with updated less expensive version to make playbook.
    I think a PlayBook 2.0 with the EXACT SAME SPECS as the BB10 full touchscreen device, but with a WiFi only version, would be ideal. Unlike iOS, where phones (prior to iPhone 5) have a 3 x 2 aspect ratio and tablets have a 4:3 aspect ratio, the BB10 phone / tablet would have exactly the same pixel count. Talk about making it developer friendly.

I honestly think that RIM has very little to gain by aggressively marketing what is commonly referred to as their "failed tablet". It just invites (unjustified) criticism.

The PlayBook (both LTE and WiFi) will get a new lease on life with BB10. I believe that RIM will start pursuing aggressive sales of the PlayBook in other markets as companions to BB7 devices: Imagine in Indonesia and Nigera, RIM continues to push the BB7 devices hard, at low cost... then markets the PlayBook as the tablet that works with the BB7 device, but gives a taste of BB10... then RIM will introduce BB10 handhelds... user base is growing in those markets, but RIM should be looking to the BB10 transition, and having the PlayBook with BB10 as a stepping stone makes sense.

What RIM should do is create Bridge software for Android and Apple devices.

I'm a RIM user, period, but for those who have Android or iOS phones, if there was Bridge for their phone to which PlayBook could connect via BlueTooth, some of the iOS and Android naysayers could feel what WE feel... marketing the PlayBook as a general purpose tablet was a botched job... it should have been marketed as the ultimate BlackBerry smartphone companion... like a docking station for your phone... keep your phone in your purse / pocket and enjoy the larger screen and great media capabilities, and when you pick up your phone, all your notes, calendar appts, deleted mail etc. are already there.

For RIM to do this they would need to have deep-down access to the databases on those devices that Apple and Google guard (security reasons) but again, if only Android and iOS users could experience the seamlessness of the BB7/PlayBook "Bridge" experience, they just might open their mind to a BB10 handheld as their next upgrade.
    11-28-12 01:00 PM
    I think they will, as I have picked up 2 more for Christmas presents (that make 4 in my house, only one apple product, I pod touch, 2 BB phones and 2 droid phones)and have seen 3 more people at work with newly purchased PB at work in the past week. Thinking of getting another PB for my parents for Christmas yet also, $118.00 for 32 GB can't be beat.
    11-28-12 01:04 PM
    I think they will, as I have picked up 2 more for Christmas presents (that make 4 in my house, only one apple product, I pod touch, 2 BB phones and 2 droid phones)and have seen 3 more people at work with newly purchased PB at work in the past week. Thinking of getting another PB for my parents for Christmas yet also, $118.00 for 32 GB can't be beat.
    Damn it... I just paid $185 for one on Amazon.. Why aren't they selling for below $150 in the US?
    11-28-12 01:48 PM
39 12