RIM's quarter finishes up this week, with announcements coming usually a few weeks after that. At the end of the August quarter, PlayBook shipments had fallen to 130,000 and lifetime shipments had been 1.74 million.

However, they've been really aggressive with selling higher memory models, both during back-to-school and with Black Friday. Sales seem to be going fairly well based upon anecdotes I've read on various forums. I'm not expecting a giant PlayBook reporting like "RIM ships 5 million PlayBooks in Q3", but with this pricing and promotion, I think an uplift over Q2 is reasonable and that we may finally get bumped over the 2 million number.

Any thoughts on what they'll report? I'm going to guess 300,000.
    RocPlayr likes this.
    11-26-12 04:12 PM
    I think they can crack 2 million. I dont expect numbers that are going be bigger than ever or anything. Many people here report low or no stock at most places the entire quarter. So even though you have sales the number still available to purchase might only be 300k or something
    11-26-12 04:22 PM
    I hope they will
    11-26-12 04:35 PM
    Everywhere I go I've been told "we sold out" I think they for sure cracked 2 mill.
    11-26-12 06:09 PM
    I am sure playbook sales well thanks to its price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    11-26-12 06:24 PM
    I think in the next call, Thorsten will say RIM is "sold out" of either the 32 GB or 64 GB wifi models, much as he did when he talked about the 16 GB version being sold out.
    11-26-12 09:28 PM
    At $149 for 64Gb, I would say they can sell everything they make. I am still waiting to get off backorder...
    11-26-12 09:37 PM
    Not sure. But apps developers for bb10 will benefit the more there are in the field. More potential customers once the bb10 playbook update drops.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-27-12 12:18 AM
    But apps developers for bb10 will benefit the more there are in the field.
    Yep! I still feel deep down that Thorsten is treating PlayBook as a bit of a science project to test features for BB10 and serve as a platform to get apps made that will work on BB10. The firesale pricing is just to clean up someone else's inventory management problem that he inherited.
    11-27-12 06:05 AM
    I wonder if people who bought the PB on the cheap would actually pay for apps.
    11-27-12 06:14 AM
    At $149 for 64Gb, I would say they can sell everything they make. I am still waiting to get off backorder...
    Wouldnt surprise me if RIM hasnt made a Playbook in its factories for more than 6 months.

The stuff sold the past few months is all stock thats sat at the back of the stock room for the past year or more.
    11-27-12 07:35 AM
    I just got a new 64GB PlayBook and it had 2.1 installed, did have to download .1088 update. So I assume that it was "built" after 2.1 was released, unless they open them up and update them in the warehouse...

It would be interesting to know just how many PlayBook have been produced. Maybe when they had the factory do a run for the LTE PlayBooks the did an additional run of 32 & 64 GB units to fill-in the order?
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    11-27-12 08:27 AM
    Selling the 32 GB model for $118 at Staples (Canada) over the holidays is likely going to help. That is an insane price.
    11-27-12 08:28 AM
    Wouldnt surprise me if RIM hasnt made a Playbook in its factories for more than 6 months.
    They just released a new, upgraded 1.5 ghz LTE PlayBook in August. Really speaks to RIM's lack of marketing of it that so many people here think the 'current' Playbook hardware is so old.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    11-27-12 08:28 AM
    They just released a new, upgraded 1.5 ghz LTE PlayBook in August. Really speaks to RIM's lack of marketing of it that so many people here think the 'current' Playbook hardware is so old.
    I couldn't agree more.
    11-27-12 08:37 AM
    I would not be surprised if it does crack that 2 million. I have seen a huge number of users throughout the BlackBerry Forums I have been through. Also consider this info, those numbers that RIM provided, probably does not include the free units given to developers over time. So we already might be at that 2 million units that have been bought. I know they always say shipped, but going around the web and local stores, its getting harder to find any in stock.
    11-27-12 08:46 AM
    Anywhere beyond Canada? Agree with lack of.
    11-27-12 08:47 AM
    The weird thing is that even with these discounts, I don't personally know anyone buying one in my own social circle (they are buying tablets, just not Playbooks). There are things I dislike about my Playbook, but I have told countless people I know when they ask me about tablets that for the price, they are a fantastic deal and that they would likely be quite happy with them. And that was before this current price drop.

I guess another factor might be that there were a lot of other sales on tablets over the holidays. Staples had the Playbook for dirt cheap, but they also had substantial discounts on other tablets as well.
    11-27-12 08:55 AM
    Actually there is no marketing campaigns at all for playbook especially for LTE or 3G+ even RIM only produced small amount of it.
    11-27-12 09:18 AM
    And they would probably have been a limited run built around June at the latest. They wouldnt have made 2 million of those...not at those stupidly high prices.
    11-27-12 11:26 AM
    I pay more and buy more apps in the short span of time with my Playbook than I did with my IPod Touch. In fact, I stop purchasing apps and games from IPod touch a year ago. As long as BlackBerry keep quality apps and games coming, I will keep purchasing.
    11-27-12 11:35 AM
    I dont know bro right now its down to consumers.If they toss the bridge factor at the bb10 event and imrpovements it will sell big time but its down to consumers.
    11-27-12 12:04 PM
    I dont know bro right now its down to consumers.If they toss the bridge factor at the bb10 event and imrpovements it will sell big time but its down to consumers.
    I heard many similar things when I was a Zune user on the Zune forums.

Unless you properly market/develop a product and make it a 'magical' must have then it's dead in the water.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    11-27-12 12:45 PM
    Selling the 32 GB model for $118 at Staples (Canada) over the holidays is likely going to help. That is an insane price.
    Yes it is!! If only that was available in the US.
    11-27-12 01:46 PM
    The weird thing is that even with these discounts, I don't personally know anyone buying one in my own social circle (they are buying tablets, just not Playbooks). There are things I dislike about my Playbook, but I have told countless people I know when they ask me about tablets that for the price, they are a fantastic deal and that they would likely be quite happy with them. And that was before this current price drop.

I guess another factor might be that there were a lot of other sales on tablets over the holidays. Staples had the Playbook for dirt cheap, but they also had substantial discounts on other tablets as well.
    I have seen playbook many times in the wild. Even today at doctors appointment some dude was killing time with his playbook.
    11-27-12 05:08 PM
39 12